• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Yep, they're a shortcut from the lower outer ring to top middle aka the murder pad.

Haha murder pad, reminds me of guardian. The excitement is killing me!
Idk if I can last until:
A) September
B) October
C) November
D) December

Hehehe jk :p

Are the trajectories more consistent this time around?
In halo 3 they were awful, many times you'd just fall through them or not get pushed far enough.
They were a lot better in Reach, but occasionally it seemed like the movement boosts from armor abilities would throw off their calculations.
Oh and the dreaded midair beat down instantly kills your velocity!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would actually like the ability to control your path in man cannons to a certain degree. Sorta like what we saw on Narrows where your could long jump if you crouched at a certain point in flight. Or like the lifts in Midship where if you clipped it rather than jumping in it completely you wouldn't lift as long. Something subtle.

Edit: also, being able to toggle input display in theater mode would be awesome. Like in fighting games.

heckfu

Banned
I would actually like the ability to control your path in man cannons to a certain degree. Sorta like what we saw on Narrows where your could long jump if you crouched at a certain point in flight. Or like the lifts in Midship where if you clipped it rather than jumping in it completely you wouldn't lift as long. Something subtle.

ANOTHER THING I HAVE TO ADAPT TO INCLUDES CONTROLLING TRAJECTORY?

I'm out.

So I played The Ark yesterday on Legendary and while I found it was much easier then when I first played it back in 07' it was also a lot funner than any Reach Campaign mission.

And thanks to bungie.net's stat tracking feature I can see how much I've improved since my very first Campaign run which was also on Legendary.

2007:

Zc0hI.png

2012:

MafSE.png

dat death reduction

Finally, the lighting and skyboxes of H3 > Reach.
So much more.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Edit: also, being able to toggle input display in theater mode would be awesome. Like in fighting games.

speaking of, how do you control/manage the jumps on swordbase? sometimes i can barely make it to the 2nd floor, other times i manage the 3rd no sweat. i've never managed to replicate either with any sort of consistency. whats the dealio?

i dont want to hear swordbase sucks

I think I already know the answer, but what are y'alls views on killcams? I know I know, call of duty esque and such. I also know they probably won't happen. Personally I wouldn't mind it; I like seeing the err of my ways.

Tashi

speaking of, how do you control/manage the jumps on swordbase? sometimes i can barely make it to the 2nd floor, other times i manage the 3rd no sweat. i've never managed to replicate either with any sort of consistency. whats the dealio?

i dont want to hear swordbase sucks
Jeez I haven't Swordbase in like a year lol. I think if you jump as you're entering the lift, or about to lift off, you'll get to the highest level. It takes a little timing and practice amd you'll be doing it with consistency.

I wouldn't mind a simple deathcam such as Gotham City Impostors does where your camera switches to them in third person. Hell, making your third-person camera shift to where they are would be okay. As for the whole winning game killcam thing, I say it'd be way too obstructive unless they did it in a simple way such as playing it in the background in the postgame lobby or something.

EDIT: Maybe post-game, the matches can have "end credits" where it's basically a montage/film reel of not only the winning kill, but the top 5/10 highest-scoring kills - as in, credit-wise... hence ending credits. I wouldn't mind waiting for a new lobby to spring up and having dongtages, or even hilariously stupid kills if you're playing something like BTB or Action Sack.

Fuchsdh

Indeed. I appreciate Reach pivots the camera to give me the general location, but I'd rather just leave that killcam stuff out of it.

Man I'm really enjoying Reach multiplayer after giving up on it shortly after it's release.
I've been playing too many wrpg's lately, I needed a break so I decided to put in Reach a few weeks back & give it another go. So much fun! I'm really not that good with a 1.10 k/d ratio but not bad for 41 years of age.
It's actually amazing the difference in my play with a decent team. I play with my clan(we stink) and I could easily be -10 in what is most likely a loss. I play with a bunch of randoms & I could go +12 in victory. I still lose so many 1 on 1 battles which is why BTB suits my game best.
I actually laugh while playing this unlike when I play COD which I used to play a LOT(MW3 blows). We'll see how long that lasts.
Thanks for listening.

Tashi

Indeed. I appreciate Reach pivots the camera to give me the general location, but I'd rather just leave that killcam stuff out of it.
Yea but in Halo 4, I should be able to pick different teammates and rotate the camera. In Reach, once you change from your view, you can't rotate the camera.

Fuchsdh

Yea but in Halo 4, I should be able to pick different teammates and rotate the camera. In Reach, once you change from your view, you can't rotate the camera.

Good point. Since respawning takes so little time I usually don't care.

The Invasion spawn system and camera bothers the heck out of me, though.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Sold.

Related topic: fall damage, yay or nay? The map design and presence of man cannons implies nay. I'm hoping it's out, because I loved stuff like the mega man cannons on Avalanche.

According to Devo/Domino, no fall-damage, but there will still be the flinching animation when you drop a significant height.

Fuchsdh

According to Devo/Domino, no fall-damage, but there will still be the flinching animation when you drop a significant height.

Seems like a solid compromise to me. Super solder or no, you'd have to absorb the impact from any great height. As long as the map design doesn't allow you great advantages in plummeting down on people :)

Redford

aka Cabbie
Seems like a solid compromise to me. Super solder or no, you'd have to absorb the impact from any great height. As long as the map design doesn't allow you great advantages in plummeting down on people :)

Yup, I definitely like it.

I fondly remember crouching at the end of my falls in ODST just for the cinematic touch of it.

And yeah, Higher, what a topic for your first gaming-side thread. :p

GhaleonEB

Excellent compromise. It's a way to add that sense of weight and heft they described, while enabling map movement and some of the crazier design choices (Avalanche, baby).
I made this thread in gaming and would like to get thoughts from other Halo/Bungie fans.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466810

No offense, but I'm staying out. Those kinds of threads never end well. I'll follow it for amusement, though.

Excellent compromise. It's a way to add that sense of weight and heft they described, while enabling map movement and some of the crazier design choices (Avalanche, baby).

No offense, but I'm staying out. Those kinds of threads never end well. I'll follow it for amusement, though.

Yeah I should have known how it would turn out based on every other thread related to Halo outside of Halogaf's current home.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Yeah I should have known how it would turn out based on every other thread related to Halo outside of Halogaf's current home.

If you've ever been to /v/, just keep in mind that opinions on Halo's legacy are more or less the same on GAF (much milder though). And don't ever say anything that could be construed as a slight at Valve.

Are we allowed to mention that place on here?

That thread is killing me now. Everyone on Gaf talks like it's the most knowledgeable gaming forum there is but then you read threads like that and it makes you wonder if the people posting have ever even played the game they are discussing.

Redford

aka Cabbie
That thread is killing me now. Everyone on Gaf talks like it's the most knowledgeable gaming forum there is but then you read threads like that and it makes you wonder if the people posting have ever even played the game they are discussing.

Oh come on, you have to remember what you just posted was, when you get down to it, a comparison between a great but one-franchise studio and well-established companies with multiple succeses like Valve. Almost everyone that disagreed with the OP still acknowledged Bungie/Halo as being worthy of credit. Fucking Reach of all games, too. :p

Obscure analogy: It's like comparing Golden Sun and Final Fantasy. You just can't without someone getting pissed off, and they have a right to be.

Edit: And by comparing I mean "on the same tier".

Tashi

Someone equated Bungie to Tiburon, the Madden team.

How can people take you seriously when you say things like that?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

what did you expect? not everyone likes halo.

Top Bottom