• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Not an intentional egg, I believe. Just something left over from scale comparisons.

Maybe, seems odd thats its a spartan like that id of assumed it would be easier for them to render just a default noble 6.

I know the smaller chief outside the map was for scale comparison.

I tried to find the perfect gif of a baby crying but I couldn't find the right one.

1335898164541.gif

No but seriously the guy hates Rocket Hog Race so that's a plus 1 in my book. Go easy on him, he's only a june!

BTB in reach was awful, but I attribute more of that to really awful game physics and even worse, poor map design. But this is how I see Reach vehicles: People want to get stupid easy kills, so vehicles are turned into killing machines. People don't like dying so vehicles are made to be easily destroyed. This results in the worst combination of vehicle balance. Too strong and too weak at the same time. And then throw in a banshee that's impossible to kill as a cool bonus.

I just worry about vehicle combat being the emphasis of any FPS. It dominated in Halo3 BTB, which was one of many things I disliked. Halo2 made vehicles fun and useful, but not overpowered. Halo3 was when you started seeing ridiculous kill streaks by people on choppers and warthog guns. Instead of tight gun play and epic shootouts between people, BTB games were all about jumping into a vehicle for the lulz. Having fun is a good thing, but not when it comletely destroys the competitive aspect of the game. I hope we never go back to that model of play for Halo. If the spartan laser is coming back, then I can't help but think that means vehicles are returning to their d-bag status from 3. Best solution?
ranked BTB please

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
One thing I can state unambiguously is that more emphasis has been put on larger MP maps to support Vehicle combat. Including adjustments to stop vehicles being torn apart by breezes and harsh language.

What about when the geometry decides to use your vehicle as a discus?

'
I'm telling you guys. It's whoever Dongblain was. Confirmed Eazy?

Nah, I know Mikey from IGN. He's legit.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
BTB in reach was awful, but I attribute more of that to really awful game physics and even worse, poor map design. But this is how I see Reach vehicles: People want to get stupid easy kills, so vehicles are turned into killing machines. People don't like dying so vehicles are made to be easily destroyed. This results in the worst combination of vehicle balance. Too strong and too weak at the same time. And then throw in a banshee that's impossible to kill as a cool bonus.

I just worry about vehicle combat being the emphasis of any FPS. It dominated in Halo3 BTB, which was one of many things I disliked. Halo2 made vehicles fun and useful, but not overpowered. Halo3 was when you started seeing ridiculous kill streaks by people on choppers and warthog guns. Instead of tight gun play and epic shootouts between people, BTB games were all about jumping into a vehicle for the lulz. Having fun is a good thing, but not when it comletely destroys the competitive aspect of the game. I hope we never go back to that model of play for Halo. If the spartan laser is coming back, then I can't help but think that means vehicles are returning to their d-bag status from 3. Best solution?
ranked BTB please

i really liked halo 3's vehicle combat. a vehicle should be pretty powerful. ideally, i'd love to see halo 3's vehicles, but have them take more damage from grenades, especially stickies. that way there is a definite way to take them out and its more skill based then loading a map with power weapons.

Havok

i really liked halo 3's vehicle combat. a vehicle should be pretty powerful. ideally, i'd love to see halo 3's vehicles, but have them take more damage from grenades, especially stickies. that way there is a definite way to take them out and its more skill based then loading a map with power weapons.
Yeah, vehicles should be powerful, but have you gone back to check out that Halo 3 Warthog chaingun lately? That thing is ridiculous. Like a half second kill time.

I thought Reach did vehicle's weapon damage pretty well, just not durability (with the exception of the Banshee, of course).

op_ivy

Yeah, vehicles should be powerful, but have you gone back to check out that Halo 3 Warthog chaingun lately? That thing is ridiculous. Like a half second kill time.

I thought Reach did vehicle's weapon damage pretty well, just not durability (with the exception of the Banshee, of course).

no, its been a while (ie, not since reach beta!). i do however remember running and hiding from them when i'd hear them, lol. ok, reduce the power a bit - but still, nades should be a lot more devastating against them. makes for much more exciting vehicle/on-foot combat too. always would piss me off to no end in 3 when i'd be able to stick a hog, sometimes more then once, only to see it *maybe* flip, and drive off or kill me.

I do think that the Scorpion and Banshee are a bit overpowered. But the rest is pretty good. Scorpion is too powerful. I'd add the Gauss Hog but it can be destroyed pretty easily like a normal Warthog.

Havok

I do think that the Scorpion and Banshee are a bit overpowered. But the rest is pretty good. Scorpion is too powerful. I'd add the Gauss Hog but it can be destroyed pretty easily like a normal Warthog.

Sure. The Scorpion has always been overpowered, and I think the only real solution to that is to keep it out of multiplayer. They've tried time and time again, but the Wraith is more appropriate in just about every way. The Banshee is of course on the list.

The Gauss is a trainwreck. The Halo 2 variant, as far as I know, had a travel time on its shots, so that you had to lead it a bit...even then, it's stretching what I'd consider acceptable. I don't think the Reach version has the same mechanic. I didn't include it, along with the Scorpion, in my list of exceptions because it's such a nonfactor in matchmaking outside of Headlong.

That's one thing that used to infuriate me when playing BTB in Halo3. You could stick a warthog, sometimes with 2 stickies, and it was like the vehicle didn't even flinch. Even a single sticky should at least flip the vehicle or de-shield its passenger. I'd come onto gaf and throw tantrums about that all the time lol.

Balanced vehicles would help a lot. I just question anyone's ability to get it right. In CE, only the ghost could kill people, but its maneuverability kept it from being too powerful. Part of me is just really old school. I prefer vehicles in a FPS to be more geared for transportation and quick movement across a map. This keeps the focus on objectives and not on people only playing BTB to drive vehicles. Now we have multiple vehicles, all of which can kill people quickly. And then there are flying vehicles too, which I dont think should even be in competitive play. There should be a doofus playlist for people who just want to drive around in vehicles all day imo. I know I'm being harsh and over the top a bit, but I can't stand vehicles the way they've been implemented in Halo since Halo3.

op_ivy

god damn reach is making me rage like no other lately. "trueskill". pinnacle. lag. matchmaking bans for quitting out of pinnacle matches. and the bug where you start a match in a black screen then have no AA.

<3 reach.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Sure. The Scorpion has always been overpowered, and I think the only real solution to that is to keep it out of multiplayer. They've tried time and time again, but the Wraith is more appropriate in just about every way. The Banshee is of course on the list.

The Gauss is a trainwreck. The Halo 2 variant, as far as I know, had a travel time on its shots, so that you had to lead it a bit...even then, it's stretching what I'd consider acceptable. I don't think the Reach version has the same mechanic. I didn't include it, along with the Scorpion, in my list of exceptions because it's such a nonfactor in matchmaking outside of Headlong.

The Reach Gauss Hog...
*shudders*
Even more overpowered than the Banshee.

edit: Just remembered to add you on XBL, CyRen

Havok

The Reach Gauss Hog...
*shudders*
Even more overpowered than the Banshee.
You think? I dunno, the aerial maneuvers that Banshee can do ad nauseum, along with the fact that it doesn't have set paths that it is restricted to travel by, push it to the top of the list for me. Plus, the Gauss is only on one map!

ranked BTB please
This is why I LOVED CE's vehicle combat. You started out with grenades, which would properly fuck up a vehicle in its radius. Vehicles were indestructible, so they were constantly in play meaning you didn't have a sudden burst of advantage that suddenly gets destroyed. You would die with a tap to them, and I wouldn't have it any other way, so much better than all the inconsistent nudging you'd get in the later games.

Basically everything in CE was crazy strong, but it also made the combat make sense. Vehicle touch you, you die. Grenade touch vehicle, it dies. Vehicles are always there, so that you can't just suicide into enemy turf willy nilly because they will take that vehicle and they will then use it on you. Most of all, it stuck with the premise that you spawned with everything you need to handle any situation. Where did this all go wrong?!

Fracas

#fuckonami
You think? I dunno, the aerial maneuvers that Banshee can do ad nauseum, along with the fact that it doesn't have set paths that it is restricted to travel by, push it to the top of the list for me.

I'm not really sure...they're almost even now that I think about it imo. The Banshee is incredibly hard to hit, but the Gauss Hog is an instakill sniper rifle on wheels. Depends on the driver's skill.

Is there a map with both? I think there is, just can't remember.

I definitely think the Gauss is more powerful than the Banshee. I mean, it can take out a Banshee in two shots, sometimes one. Everytime I board one, that's about 20 free kills against a weaker team. But, like Havok said, at least it's only on two maps (the other is Boneyards Heavies variant).

Headlong's Anniversary variant.

edit: Just remembered to add you on XBL, CyRen
That arse denied my FR! Said over twittah to add him. My heart broke.

You think? I dunno, the aerial maneuvers that Banshee can do ad nauseum, along with the fact that it doesn't have set paths that it is restricted to travel by, push it to the top of the list for me. Plus, the Gauss is only on one map!
And it is still a Warthog. If you have at least 3 players shooting it with the DMR, it will be gone in no time. Of course you have to find these players at first.

I'm not really sure...they're almost even really imo. The Banshee is incredibly hard to hit, but the Gauss Hog is an instakill sniper rifle on wheels.

Ehm... Headlong has/had both?

Havok

I'm not really sure...they're almost even now that I think about it imo. The Banshee is incredibly hard to hit, but the Gauss Hog is an instakill sniper rifle on wheels. Depends on the driver's skill.

Headlong has both, Breakneck now has neither.

I have no idea about any of the Heavies variants. They all run together in a poo-colored smear in my memory.

Top Bottom