• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

randomlyrossy said:
Bugger is this a GAME exclusive over here? Maybe I won't get it after all. Fuck playing £60 quite frankly. £50 at a push, maybe if I have an actual job by that time I'll feel differently but unless I can get it elsewhere for less it looks like I won't be getting the LE after all.

Amazon.co.uk seems to have them as well.

/ordered

Good news - according to AceyBongos Twitter (UK's "MajorNelson") the Legendary edition includes the Elite armour AND the Spartan Armour.

w00t.

Sikamikanico said:
Good news - according to AceyBongos Twitter (UK's "MajorNelson") the Legendary edition includes the Elite armour AND the Spartan Armour.

w00t.

yeah the legendary has everything the limited does

neoism

Dax01 said:
Standard Edition - $59.99
  • "Includes the ground-breaking game experience and manual."
Limited Edition - $79.99
In addition to the game disc and manual, this edition includes:
  • "Game disc housed in recovered ONI 'black box'."
  • "An exclusive Elite armor set for use in Multiplayer modes."
  • "Artifact bag containing Dr. Halsey's personal journal and other classified documents and effects that unravel long-held secrets from the Halo universe."
Legendary Edition - $149.99
The complete Halo: Reach collection. In addition to the game disc, manual, and the complete contents of the Limited Edition (i.e., so the game disc comes in the Oni 'black box'), the Legendary Edition includes:
  • "Noble Team statue expertly crafted by the artisans at McFarlane Toys. Individually molded, hand-painted, and individually numbered, this statue is a must-have for any serious Halo fan."
  • "UNSC-themed custom packaging."
  • "An exclusive Multiplayer Spartan armor effect."

Then you can see pictures of each individual edition. The statue looks really good.
Edit - The only sad thing I see about the SKUs is that there is no "Making of" and no Halo 3/ODST custcene commentary. :(
Not sure if I want the LE, but this is Bungle's swan song soo I probably will. I just got the Limited for H3...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I wonder about the Journal that comes with the LE. Why her journal in the first place? It seems strange to have anything about her it make it to the promotional side of things unless she has some direct relevance to the game.

It could just be a tip of the hat to fans though. Either way I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Spasm

Sikamikanico said:

w00t.
Good to hear. Was wondering about that.

Only the bottom version is up on Amazon so far. f5f5f5.gif

Lunchbox

Banned
getting the 80$ one

they gotta throw in more stuff than a buncha dolls for 150$. like those extra discs with commentaries in the cat helmet

Downloading the vidoc now, also I'm kinda disappointing that there isn't any making of or extra video for the limited and legendary editions, so I'm still debating on which one I'm getting. Amazon needs to put the edition up soon so I can decide.

Kapura

Banned
Lunchbox said:
getting the 80$ one

they gotta throw in more stuff than a buncha dolls for 150$. like those extra discs with commentaries in the cat helmet
I think I agree. Action figures are cool, and those look very detailed and all that, but the only other content that edition offers is flames. I don't need flames to look badass.

@CrazedArabMan I doubt there won't be making of stuff in the ONI case. Maybe just concept art, but better than nothing.

randomlyrossy said:
Mmm, £55 on there. I'll hold off for now, there are bound to be some deals before it comes out.

Let me know if you spot anything please.

Im hoping sites will cut the price a lot, but typically places like Asda tend to do opening day special offers for big name games for close to 27 quid. If they do something similar for Reach theres no way im paying 30 quid more for the next version up. At the end of the day nothing will make me spend the price of a full game just for a booklet and a peice of virtual armour. :lol

Hopefully online places like Amazon offer the limited editon version for closer to 40.

Again this all depends on the quality and content of the booklet, how thick is it? Will it be an interesting read or is it just something akin to a factbook? If Nylund was involved in writing it im suddently a lot more interested, say its so Bungie?

Out of interest what visual flair does playing Halo 2 get us? I guess with this new armour effects category it really could be anything. I wonder if its a Halo 2 graphical effect?

neoism

metareferential said:
Someone said particles?

partic.png
man that pistol is a dream come true... :)

chess

Loving the wider FOV and less weapon blockage of it. I hope moving around doesn't feel slower than H3 even though I know it technically is. Is it just me or does that clip with the pro pipe on that new map/area seem like movement is extremely slow like using a turret in H3? Maybe the player is just walking slow? I don't think he/she is crouched. Have to look again.

Edit: The more I watch I see myself as a dmr/pistol with sprint loadout every time all the time.

Louis Wu

Diablohead said:
BECAUSE MONEY IS FOR SPENDING

(Actually, I'm having trouble convincing myself that I want to spend that $150. And for me... that's weird. Maybe it's just that cash is tight this year. I dunno.)

Vidoc was amazing, I'm still debating on what version to get though... Choices, choices, choices.

Louis Wu said:
BECAUSE MONEY IS FOR SPENDING

(Actually, I'm having trouble convincing myself that I want to spend that $150. And for me... that's weird. Maybe it's just that cash is tight this year. I dunno.)

Same here, I'm trying to convince my self by holding back on other game purchases this year, but I don't know if I can.

lherre

Accurate
I was lucky, and the last week I could play the multiplayer beta. Here are my small impressions.

Graphics:

- Better than halo 3, no doubt about it (not difficult to be honest), but nothing "amazing" (at least for me). Less jaggies, and better image quality in general. The textures I think are better in general (the environments not help to judge this because the multiplayer maps aren't too "beauty" or "complicated"), but I think the vegetation are a little worse than halo 3 (the few plants that are in the field). Is only a detail, not important of course. Lightning I suppose is better, I cannot judge totally in this moment. The character models are very very good and detailed. The animations were good, but I haven't seen in detail to judge properly.

Gameplay:

- I tried invasion, juggernaut and other modes, it was fan (and I'm not a big online gamer). I won juggernaut mode :lol :lol . All very quick. The controls are very good with a quick response. Not any complaint in this section.

Tha classes were fun too, to choose in every moment (I mean death :lol ) what strategy do you want to perform the next time. At least in the invasion mode.

Sound:

- We had earphones, but the sound was very good, music and effects.

I think the only thing I saw "strange" was the animation when you recharged the gun, like the animation was in "slow motion" or at less frames than the game. At least with the spartan rifle.

This are the sets that we have here in Spain.

P1000172.jpg

Kapura

Banned
Flipyap said:
Holy crap, that helmet looks stupid.
Was the Flight helmet removed because it would look too cool now? Yikes.
You shut your whore mouth. That helmet looks awesome. It's Pestilence: the Halo import.
icon_128.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
lherre said:
I was lucky, and the last week I could play the multiplayer beta. Here are my small impressions.

Graphics:

- Better than halo 3, no doubt about it (not difficult to be honest), but nothing "amazing" (at least for me). Less jaggies, and better image quality in general. The textures I think are better in general (the environments not help to judge this because the multiplayer maps aren't too "beauty" or "complicated"), but I think the vegetation are a little worse than halo 3 (the few plants that are in the field). Is only a detail, not important of course. Lightning I suppose is better, I cannot judge totally in this moment. The character models are very very good and detailed. The animations were good, but I haven't seen in detail to judge properly.

Gameplay:

- I tried invasion, juggernaut and other modes, it was fan (and I'm not a big online gamer). I won juggernaut mode :lol :lol . All very quick. The controls are very good with a quick response. Not any complaint in this section.

Tha classes were fun too, to choose in every moment (I mean death :lol ) what strategy do you want to perform the next time. At least in the invasion mode.

Sound:

- We had earphones, but the sound was very good, music and effects.

I think the only thing I saw "strange" was the animation when you recharged the gun, like the animation was in "slow motion" or at less frames than the game. At least with the spartan rifle.

This are the sets that we have here in Spain.

Thanks for sharing dude. Do you work for a publication of some kind? How fun were the jetpacks?

lherre

Accurate
Dani said:
Thanks for sharing dude. Do you work for a publication of some kind? How fun were the jetpacks?

More or less (about the job). I don't remember use the jetpack, I can't tell you about it, but I saw other people with him, but I don't know if it was difficult to control it or not. Sorry.

I forgot to say that I think the guns (at least some of them) are very "unbalanced". Too powerful or too weak.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
lherre said:
More or less (about the job). I don't remember use the jetpack, I can't tell you about it, but I saw other people with him, but I don't know if it was difficult to control it or not. Sorry.

No worries dude. Again, thanks for giving us your insight and the picture.

The weapons are unbalanced? Any particular weapon that you thought was too powerful? Rockets, DMR?

Flipyap said:
Holy crap, that helmet looks stupid.
Was the Flight helmet removed because it would look too cool now? Yikes.
If by 'stupid', you mean 'stupidly awesome', then you are correct sir (lol at the Shredder pic).

Wizman23

Banned
I'm really having a tough time justifying both collectors editions. The lack of a behind the scenes/extras disk is quite shocking considering how awesome they were in both Halo 2 and Halo 3. I'm also 31 years old so that noble 6 statue really does nothing for me either.

Louis Wu

Wizman23 said:
I'm also 31 years old so that noble 6 statue really does nothing for me either.
I'm MUCH older than you, and I still like that statue. :lol

(Not saying you need to like it - just that your use of the word 'so' is inappropriate in that sentence. :D )

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bobs99 ... said:
Again this all depends on the quality and content of the booklet, how thick is it? Will it be an interesting read or is it just something akin to a factbook? If Nylund was involved in writing it im suddently a lot more interested, say its so Bungie?

Heh, it's more of a book than a booklet. It's physically thicker than some Halo novels. And it's Bungie quality. They worked closely on the project for a long time. As did Nylund. And FULL of interesting, very interesting stuff.

S1kkZ

OuterWorldVoice said:
Heh, it's more of a book than a booklet. It's physically thicker than some Halo novels. And it's Bungie quality. They worked closely on the project for a long time. As did Nylund. And FULL of interesting, very interesting stuff.
that sounds good. can you tell us what material that limited edition box uses?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
OuterWorldVoice said:

FULL. OF. FECKING. WIN. ALL. OVER. MY. FACE.

JaggedSac

lherre said:

I forgot to say that I think the guns (at least some of them) are very "unbalanced". Too powerful or too weak.

How familiar are you with Halo?

lherre

Accurate
Dani said:
No worries dude. Again, thanks for giving us your insight and the picture.

The weapons are unbalanced? Any particular weapon that you thought was too powerful? Rockets, DMR?

The grenade launcher if I remember correctly for example, too powerful for me.

big ander

The vidoc. :D "You just met fucking Roger Clemens." :lol
<3 Bungie.

A little disappointed at the Legendary though. I really wanted some behind the scenes. But that Halsey book looks awesome, so I'll probably fork over the $150.

Spasm

lherre said:
The grenade launcher if I remember correctly for example, too powerful for me.
They don't call it the Pro-Pipe for nuthin'!

Also, that gun would get its ass kicked by a DMR out in the open*. It's all about the right tool for the right job.

*...I'm guessing. :I

Flipyap

OuterWorldVoice said:
Well, now I'm more hyped for that thing, than I am for the game.

Dipswitch

I like the Legendary Edition statue, but for the first time with this series, I'm actually tempted to hold off buying the game day one and wait for the 'Cat Helmet Part Deux' to drop to a more reasonable price. That's gonna be a tough wait though, so I dunno if I'm gonna be able to pull that off.

Decisions, decisions......

Kapura said:
The limited editions: link
Much better pictures. Thanks, urk.
OuterWorldVoice said:
Yup. Definitely buying the LegE.

big ander

Spasm said:
They don't call it the Pro-Pipe for nuthin'!

Also, that gun would get its ass kicked by a DMR out in the open*. It's all about the right tool for the right job.

*...I'm guessing. :I
I want to see the pro pipe take on a hog. It has to be so rewarding to lay down a grenade, hold the trigger, and let go as a hog drives over it. Can't wait.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Thanks for the response, that actually sounds like something I would really want. This isnt going to be an easy choice to make :lol

Damn you Frankie, because of that info my wallet is looking like its going to be a little lighter - I just so hope someone like Amazon pull through and offer it at a reduced price. Based on the effort Bungie are making with that book, im REALLY hoping we see Halsey in game, the people who havent read the other novels have a perfect bridge right here.

Spasm

big ander said:
I want to see the pro pipe take on a hog. It has to be so rewarding to lay down a grenade, hold the trigger, and let go as a hog drives over it. Can't wait.
Can't wait to try the EMP blast, mid-air flak-style, against a Banshee too.

Top Bottom