• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Campaign Trailer

Louis Wu

Kibbles said:
And then you have Noble 6
holding dog tags
in a scene right after that. =| Wouldn't think Bungie would put such a huge spoiler in a trailer, but it certainly seems like that's what happens.
From the beginning, you know the end.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kibbles said:
holding dog tags
in a scene right after that. =| Wouldn't think Bungie would put such a huge spoiler in a trailer, but it certainly seems like that's what happens.

Like I said in the other thread, it got spoiled in the Legendary unboxing, even though people screamed about how obvious it was. (which it is, but some people don't have a clue)

Mr_Brit said:
Is Noble 6 a full fledged voiced out character like MC or basically an avatar?

Noble 6 has his/her own voice depending on what gender you pick.

Rad-

Halo is such a strange series for me. I'm not a fan of the games but still, I always fall to the hype. It's these god damn great trailers and videos that draw me in. Day one.

Sill4

Alienshogun said:
Like I said in the other thread, it got spoiled in the Legendary unboxing, even though people screamed about how obvious it was. (which it is, but some people don't have a clue)
Remember, that it was lorraine mclees (probably jacked up her name) that said that. She is a long time bungie artist. I'm pretty sure it's a trap, same as the implied death in the trailer.

Getting off for realz now.

_edit- Master Chief memorial in that old Halo 3 ad, anyone remember? Ackbar would be proud.

Falagard

Downgrade total of the original pre-rendered trailer where Noble 6 jumps out of the hog vs the new trailer. :lol

I love Bungie, but saw this coming.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sill4 said:
Remember, that it was lorraine mclees (probably jacked up her name) that said that. She is a long time bungie artist. I'm pretty sure it's a trap, same as the implied death in the trailer.

Getting off for realz now.

I doubt it's a trap.

There is no reason to keep anyone in noble team alive, they will be martyrs to the war, and for Master Chief.

This is Bungie's last Halo afterall, and there is already masterchief.

Alienshogun said:
Seriously it was known since the annoucment if you have read the book. But maybe
the dog tags has something to do with Noble6 past ;)

Amazing trailer!

What is it with Bungie trailers these days and

rapidly
switching
shots
every
second.

In the main segment (0:17 to 0:52) there are 26 different camera switches. I thought the Firefight and Campaign trailers from E3 were bad in that regard, but they're nothing on this. Cut that shit out.

Looks great visually though. Maybe the trailer will be better with audio (I'm at work atm).

adelante

EPIC

2vbu97a.jpg

GhaleonEB

Sill4 said:
The CE and LE editions of the game come with that note stating that this is the only remaining record of what Noble Team did. I think that's a bit of a clue. :p
Louis Wu said:
From the beginning, you know the end.

Louis Wu

Falagard said:
Downgrade total of the original pre-rendered trailer where Noble 6 jumps out of the hog vs the new trailer. :lol

rofl - side by side, the old one looks TERRIBLE compared to the new. I'd say 'upgrade', myself. :lol

Falagard said:

*shrugs*

Looks really good compared to the original trailer. Hardly a downgrade.

szaromir

Banned
Falagard said:
How about no?

Damn,I hope the game has some brighter levels as well. Everything's so dark there. That'snotmy Halo!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Same. For the purposes of Halo games, my definition of a spoiler is campaign information that Bungie did not release or want released.

This is how I feel too.

I think Bungie (or anyone in a similar position) take a lot time to consider what is best shown, how and when before release. It's probably the most sensible policy.

Also, why the spoiler tags for stuff from this trailer, ie the point of the thread? :lol

It should be obvious from the first few posts whether someone wishes or not to continue reading this thread knowing full well the folks in here will be talking explicitly about the trailer's contents.

So much to chew on from this sneak peak.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hypertrooper said:
Seriously it was known since the annoucment if you have read the book. But maybe
the dog tags has something to do with Noble6 past ;)

Amazing trailer!

Well, not everyone who was on Reach died, you know what happens to the planet but, you don't know for certain what happens to Noble team, that's why I was calling it a spoiler.

GhaleonEB said:
The CE and LE editions of the game come with that note stating that this is the only remaining record of what Noble Team did. I think that's a bit of a clue. :p

That only means they lost contact, my friend! :lol

Just like
Chief is assumed dead at the end of 3. (By everyone but the player)

Falagard

Louis Wu said:
rofl - side by side, the old one looks TERRIBLE compared to the new. I'd say 'upgrade', myself. :lol

Disagree completely.

There's shadows on the old one and the new one has no shadows under the hog.

There's more post processing effects on the old one (bloom and blurring, so that's a subjective opinion), and dust rolling across the ground as the hog stops.

In the old one, objects in the distance look like they're affected by atmospherics (dust in the air, etc.) and in the new one they're crisp.

Overall I'd say there's no doubt the old one looks better. Want me to put together screenshots?

Wiggum2007

Falagard said:

Downgrade how? All I see is changes to the lighting in the scene... Reposting from the last page:

First Trailer:
2w4wx02.jpg

New Trailer:
2cibif8.jpg

Falagard said:
Disagree completely.

There's shadows on the old one and the new one has no shadows under the hog.

There's more post processing effects on the old one (bloom and blurring, so that's a subjective opinion), and dust rolling across the ground as the hog stops.

In the old one, objects in the distance look like they're affected by atmospherics (dust in the air, etc.) and in the new one they're crisp.

Overall I'd say there's no doubt the old one looks better. Want me to put together screenshots?
Chill, yo.

Circle T

Alienshogun said:
Freeze the frame just when it pops up look to the bottom right, you see her light blue armor.
The blue actually looks a little darker, like it might actually be Carter, not Kat.

Though, I went and looked at the renders and bio pics on b.net, and I can't seem to locate any parts of either of their armor that looks like the piece you can see in that pic, so it is hard to narrow down.

it could just as easily be a fade to unconcious type scene as a death scene

and Lollerskates at Falagard.

Looks fuggin great, SO PUMPED.

Falagard

Dax01 said:
Chill, yo.

What? You guys know me from the HaloGaf.

It's an obvious downgrade, I'm not being a hater - I'm a graphics programmer who works in 3d and deals with this stuff on a day to day basis. I can probably see things you can't, so when I saw it's a downgrade and people say it's not, I feel the need to justify and defend my position.

It is a downgrade for reasons I stated above - no shadows being the most obvious, but particle effects such as the dust flying across the screen which can't be adequately captured in a screenshot.

I can show the shadow differences though, very easily.

People say "we've seen good comparisons and it's not a downgrade" then you haven't seen a good comparison, sorry.

I'm not going to put together a detailed screenshot comparison, but there's no doubt about it in my mind. The shadows being the most worrying exclusion, since they have such a big effect on most cutscenes.

Lunchbox

Banned
Kibbles said:
holding dog tags

what spoiler?

everyone already knows the ending

While I agree that there are some minor differences, I think a lot has to do with tweaks in the lighting. I think both look great, but it some ways the old trailer is definitely better.

As for the trailer. Wow. That looked really sexy. I wish it had more without...having more.

Between everything shown, I really want to see some campaign gameplay, and maybe one more trailer. I really wonder if the story will have any big surprises.

Falagard said:
It's an obvious downgrade

This is the first and last time I participate in one of these retarded graphical bullshit discussions. When Bungie showed the debut trailer of Reach they full out said that it was built in-engine, but the lighting was not that of the final game. That it was added for the trailer and cinematic effect. They said this when they released it. It also had more aliasing than the game currently had at that stage but said that they hoped the final game DID have about that much aliasing. Don't fucking quote this post, don't discuss it, just read it. And move on.

Looks amazing. I couldn't care less if it's a "downgrade" because for me, Halo has never been about the graphics. It's still a beautiful game with even more beautiful gameplay.

pringles

Falagard said:

I was gonna make a post right after that comparison, saying how someone stupid/blind would come in and scream "downgrade", when in fact it's just a slight change of tone.

Can't really decide which I like better, before or after.

I can't stop watching the trailer. It looks amazing. The music, the atmosphere...Everything looks great. Can't believe Reach is basically right around the corner. Can't wait.

Falagard

ToyMachine228 said:
Don't fucking quote this post, don't discuss it, just read it. And move on.

Haha, great, now I'm going to be thought of as the guy that hates Bungie and thinks the trailer looks like shit. It doesn't - it looks fantastic. I was simply pointing out something I noticed. I used "downgrade total" for added effect, with a bit of sarcasm that probably wasn't caught.

I'm not sure how anyone could think the trailer looks bad, because it doesn't, so I didn't even consider that people would think that I thought it looked bad.

ToyMachine228 said:
I can't stop watching the trailer. It looks amazing. The music, the atmosphere...Everything looks great. Can't believe Reach is basically right around the corner. Can't wait.

I watched it about 10 times before posting. The music is great, and the cut-scenes are very cinematic. You definitely get that feeling of watching an epic movie.

Deadly

Genesis Knight said:
How Master Chief will be incorporated. :D
It's pretty much impossible since he's in space and is gone not long after the assault on Reach starts. They can always retcon a bunch of stuff to make it work though but I do not see the necessity to incorporate the Chief.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Falagard said:
Haha, great, now I'm going to be thought of as the guy that hates Bungie and thinks the trailer looks like shit. It doesn't - it looks fantastic. I was simply pointing out something I noticed. I used "downgrade total" for added effect, with a bit of sarcasm that probably wasn't caught.

I'm not sure how anyone could think the trailer looks bad, because it doesn't, so I didn't even consider that people would think that I thought it looked bad.

You should know HaloGAF by now. Just chill. Not too long to wait.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow wow wow.
that looked crazy! loved the burned out buildings!

Top Bottom