• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Campaign Trailer

Circle T

Downgrade, Upgrade, Sidegrade... who gives a shit. I was too busy wondering what was going on in the trailer to worry about why 39 pixels looked different from a trailer released like a year ago. The trailer looked great, and got me EVEN MORE pumped for the game, which I didn't think was possible, given that I'm already hyped beyond any game before.

Dabanton

Wiggum2007 said:
Oh how far we've come...

2w1xwqo.jpg

Always reminds me of Will Ferrell. :lol

Circle T said:
Downgrade, Upgrade, Sidegrade... who gives a shit. I was too busy wondering what was going on in the trailer to worry about why 39 pixels looked different from a trailer released like a year ago. The trailer looked great, and got me EVEN MORE pumped for the game, which I didn't think was possible, given that I'm already hyped beyond any game before.

Post of the day.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
probably mentioned, but :33 in you can see the MP stage the spire.

RavenFox

Banned
Sill4 said:
Fucking amazing for anyone who's a fan of Halo.

Bungie has outdone themselves.

I want to know how the fuck they
brought down a Covenant Cruiser?
Never question the power of a Spartan.

Schmitty

I'm guessing this will be circulated as a commercial, either as the full minute or broken into a smaller 30 second clip.

Falagard is absolutely right, and I think the most obvious thing for me is the haze/dust effects. Just look at the ridge in the background, or the crates in the background.

Or hell, just look at everything that's been lost from the lights.

Louis Wu

Falagard said:
Haha, great, now I'm going to be thought of as the guy that hates Bungie and thinks the trailer looks like shit. It doesn't - it looks fantastic. I was simply pointing out something I noticed. I used "downgrade total" for added effect, with a bit of sarcasm that probably wasn't caught.
If anybody thinks badly of you over this stuff, it'll be for quotes like this:
Falagard said:
I can probably see things you can't
Falagard said:
People say "we've seen good comparisons and it's not a downgrade" then you haven't seen a good comparison, sorry.
Falagard said:
I'm not going to put together a detailed screenshot comparison.
"I can see this stuff. You'd be able to see this stuff if you knew what I know. I'm not gonna show you this stuff."

THAT'S worth getting annoyed over, not the fact that you didn't like it in the first place. :lol

Shake Appeal said:
Falagard is absolutely right, and I think the most obvious thing for me is the haze/dust effects. Just look at the ridge in the background, or the crates in the background.

Or hell, just look at everything that's been lost from the lights.

Circle T said:

Proelite

I was impressed initially, but now that Falagard mentioned it, I can see the decline in graphical quality, even though I really can't.

It looks terrible now.

Bungie just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Graphics Programming (I'm an expert), but shadows and particle effects are huge parts of it. If you screw someone over by downgrading those things, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

etc.

EDIT: Bawwwwwwww Chinner

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ToyMachine228 said:
This is the first and last time I participate in one of these retarded graphical bullshit discussions. When Bungie showed the debut trailer of Reach they full out said that it was built in-engine, but the lighting was not that of the final game. That it was added for the trailer and cinematic effect. They said this when they released it. It also had more aliasing than the game currently had at that stage but said that they hoped the final game DID have about that much aliasing. Don't fucking quote this post, don't discuss it, just read it. And move on.

Save his head, dispose of the rest.

Chinner

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
Bungie just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Graphics Programming (I'm an expert), but shadows and particle effects are huge parts of it. If you screw someone over by downgrading those things, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

etc.

EDIT: Bawwwwwwww Chinner
2u44vlz.jpg

Red

Pretty sure that the dude posted on the side of the Phantom Noble 6 is shooting a pistol at is the same type of Elite that jumps out at the Spartans a little earlier in the trailer (one of them stabs with a sword and growls).

Hm, on further inspection, looks like the growling Elite actually stabs a blue-armored Spartan.

Can't wait for the embargo to get lifted. WHO KNOWS WHAT WE WILL SEE? WHO KNOWS? IT COULD BE ANYTHING. ANYTHING.

My brain is firing on all cylinders...Reach, Reach, Reach.

Falagard

Louis Wu said:
If anybody thinks badly of you over this stuff, it'll be for quotes like this:

"I can see this stuff. You'd be able to see this stuff if you knew what I know. I'm not gonna show you this stuff."

THAT'S worth getting annoyed over, not the fact that you didn't like it in the first place. :lol

I didn't want to buy "that guy" that does the comparison shots, because I think the new stuff looks good, just not as good, but here goes:

http://www.larabie.net/gaf/comparison.html

Wiggum2007

Crunched said:
Pretty sure that the dude posted on the side of the Phantom Noble 6 is shooting a pistol at is the same type of Elite that jumps out at the Spartans a little earlier in the trailer (one of them stabs with a sword and growls).

Hm, on further inspection, looks like the growling Elite actually stabs a blue-armored Spartan.

Who knows if the Elite actually succeeds though, Jorge is crouched down by the stairway ready to frag its ass when it goes by.

Littleberu said:
Well, first of all, it's more than a matter of '39 pixels': there are significant changes that remove a lot of the subtle atmospheric shit that fools the eye. It looks crisper (in a bad way, and it will be worse again when we see it actually running on our TVs at 1152x720 without supersampling or whatever they do to give their trailers AA that will not be in the game) and more videogamey.

Sure, it still looks great, and even if it didn't, it would remain far and away my most anticipated game of this year or any other... but we have been bullshotted by an early Bungie 'target' trailer a-gain (see: Halo 2, Halo 3..).

You guys will be blindly defensive, and that's understandable when Bungie and Halo take so much unwarranted flak on GAF at times, but Falagard and I are both well-known HaloGAF regulars who are fans of the games, and we're just calling it like we see it.

Red

Wiggum2007 said:
Who knows if the Elite actually succeeds though, Jorge is crouched down by the stairway ready to frag its ass when it goes by.
Who knows if the implication isn't a case of tricky editing? I'm just tossing out possibilities, since it was being discussed earlier.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Looks incredible. The animation in Reach is a lot better than ODST. The scope looks suitably epic and tragic. And the feature set is unmatched by any other game I can think of. Hail Bungie!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well fuck me, that looked absolutely amazing. I love Bungie's effort to top all Halo games previous.

I'd say this one has a pretty good shot based on what we have seen and the fact that there will be no Flood in it.

Shake Appeal said:
Sure, it still looks great, and even if it didn't, it would remain far and away my most anticipated game of this year or any other... but we have been bullshotted by an early Bungie 'target' trailer a-gain (see: Halo 2, Halo 3..).

As I said on the last page, Bungie posted what was different about the reveal trailer than what would be in the final game. And that was the lighting and possibly the aliasing. Bungie, the developers of this particular videogame we are discussing, stated this. When they revealed it.

I'm about to head to work and I'm done with this graphical discussion. I cannot wait for this game. I think I may re-work my vacations from work to get a few days after Reach is released off:D

Merguson

Banned
I expected a slight downgrade at best, it was going to happen eventually but regardless, the trailer looks amazing and I'm interested to see what Bungie has in store for the campaign as they have said they are trying new things. Is it September yet?

Gui_PT

Len Dontree said:
Looks incredible. The animation in Reach is a lot better than ODST. The scope looks suitably epic and tragic. And the feature set is unmatched by any other game I can think of. Hail Bungie!

Motion Capture. Finally.

Chinner

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Well, first of all, it's more than a matter of '39 pixels': there are significant changes that remove a lot of the subtle atmospheric shit that fools the eye. It looks crisper (in a bad way, and it will be worse again when we see it actually running on our TVs at 1152x720 without supersampling or whatever they do to give their trailers AA that will not be in the game) and more videogamey.

You guys will be blindly defensive, and that's understandable when Bungie and Halo take so much unwarranted flak on GAF at times, but Falagard and I are both well-known HaloGAF regulars who are fans of the games, and we're just calling it like we see it.
alright we get the idea man, halo reach will be the worst game ever, every graphics designer in bungie should be fired and blacklisted from being allowed to work in the games or film industry.

you're a little bit extreme for my tastes, but i think you should just let these halo fans be happy and let let bygones be bigons

Max

I am not Max
That's a definitely not an upgrade in terms of effects and lighting. I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for the comparison though, oh well.

FStop7

Banned
Is Reach going to be any less cartoonish than its predecessors? Are the Grunts still in it? Do they waddle around and make jawa noises?

I hope not. The biggest disconnect for me regarding Halo games has been how well made and cinematic the trailers are compared to how cartoonish the actual game is.

Top Bottom