• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Campaign Trailer

WJD

Letters said:
Since this OP is not being updated, I recommend you go to the halo.bungie.org frontpage, browse to the last day before you left and go from there, in a few minutes you'll be up to date.

P.S.: Chicharito is AWESOME

28j86c2.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Louis Wu said:
:lol :lol

What are you thinking, Tashi - that's not important.

:lol

Hey, I have a question. I'm sorry if this is old news but I can't seem to remember. Has the Arena formula been changed? And, what's different?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Major Williams said:
Was the 'leaked' script about the Arbiter and his son, playing as a Forerunner, and piloting a Scarab part of the scrapped 'old' plot? Or was that just gibberish?

:lol :lol :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Major Williams said:
I understood the terminals on my first read, really. They really weren't that confusing if you spent the time to understand what was going on in most of H2 versus the overall plan of the Forerunners. Said it before, but that was the most compelling short story science fiction I've read in my life so far.

You sir are a man of taste and distinction.

Dani said:
I was thinking the same thing.
GhaleonEB said:
I'm actually looking forward to the storytelling in Reach quite a bit, despite the flawed telling in the other games, as Bungie has been talking up how they've focused in on it this time around. Halo 1's story was very last-minute (the cut scenes in particular), Halo 2's was truncated, and Halo 3's was scrapped and rewritten mid-production, to the severe detriment of the story and the way it was told. Each game in the trilogy had a big gap between what was intended and what was produced. OTDS showed they could tell a story well when it was focused, so I'm hoping for the same level of success on a larger scale. If they kept a unified vision on the story through production, it would make a big difference.

Look forward to seeing if Staten talks about the challenges the story has had in the series over its run.
I'm looking forward to Reach's storytelling too. Hopefully there are still things like audio logs or something of the kind in Reach even though there aren't any achievements for it.

Louis Wu

Tashi0106 said:
:lol

Hey, I have a question. I'm sorry if this is old news but I can't seem to remember. Has the Arena formula been changed? And, what's different?
I'm pretty sure they haven't talked details yet.

Dax01 said:
I'm looking forward to Reach's storytelling too.
I'm trying to be hopeful here, but I have to keep my expectations in check.

So much potential there. But I think I'm biased towards adding far more storytelling elements to the game, and that would probably slow down the single player and co-op experience too much for some.

Sibylus

Banned
NullPointer said:
I'm trying to be hopeful here, but I have to keep my expectations in check.
This is a good attitude for anything and everything of the games we anticipate. Being surprised is always nice.

The Crawf

O.T. - Watching a Japanese film on TV the other night (Old Boy), All I could think of was "this is the guy in Frankie's avatar" lol
Man, that scene with the squid!

I've been meaning to get Bungie Pro for I while now, but if I buy it at this moment in time will it work for Reach as well as Halo 3 (and for both when Reach comes out)?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just saw this on Bnet from the most recent Edge magazine:

-Edge hints at some things we have wanted for a long time during space battles, continuing with "it's massive, in appearance and fun."
-The article ends with a notice that we have not seen all MM gametypes, and that there is still one gamemode that has not been revealed. They continue to say that this will not be revealed until launch.

Botolf said:
This is a good attitude for anything and everything of the games we anticipate. Being surprised is always nice.
I like to take a moment and ponder this principle every time I look over at my Halo 3 cat helmet. Just sitting there, laconic and reflective...

Halo 3 hype got to me good. I was fucking rabid in anticipation. I got the same pre-release hype from ODST's live action trailer too.

But speaking of pre-release hype, what we saw of Reach at e3 looked a lot like that ODST trailer - with the enemy dropships landing with a scream and a thud, explosions going off everywhere, moving your team as a unit towards the objective across a wide open battlefield.

So for me, this time, its more about the actual gameplay (and the beta helped a ton here). Story will be a nice bonus, but one I can't expect to be fully realized to my satisfaction.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Shake Appeal said:
Every time I play Halo 3, I am reminded that it is not Reach. :(

This.

So-so netcode (though admittedly better than many other games), weak grenades, and lack of variety are wearing thin (BRs on bad maps). I want to be able to play campaign, firefight, and MP without changing a disc too! :lol

*Edit* I also hope that space battles are not part of the MP gametypes, but it's likely that they are considering the whole Bungie Aerospace thing. Color me disappointed. I'd rather they'd have spent more time on 3v3 Firefight Vs. Having said that - I'm sure Bungie will prove me wrong and make it super awesome.

Major Williams said:
Also, Ghaleon and Eazy got into a fight. We kept eating our dinner and tried to ignore the yelling and the bruises (Page 61 and 62 I believe of this thread).

I love it when HaloGaf gets all pissy at eachother, im really paranoid half the guys here have put me on ignore already. I remember when I had just got approved the first post I saw was:

"Oh another batch of juniors, I still havent finished putting the last batch on ignore."

Your such a jerk EazyB :lol

P.s. as for Halo 3 having weak nades, its odd, (MoH beta nades do NOTHING and I hate them), but I think the nades in Halo 3 work perfectly, you cant use them to get cheap kills, you have to use them skillfully.

feel

Louis Wu said:
rofl - I googled him (don't keep up on most stuff), and this was the first hit. (No pun intended, really.)

Damn.
As I said, AWESOME. :lol

The Crawf said:
O.T. - Watching a Japanese film on TV the other night (Old Boy), All I could think of was "this is the guy in Frankie's avatar" lol
Man, that scene with the squid!
I had heard the name of that movie being mentioned several times before, but only watched it after I reverse-image-searched his avatar, got "Oldboy" as a result and noticed it had a good score on RT. It's now one of my favorite movies ever. Frank delivers in many ways.

And the music... ohgoshsogood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbKjV5OChA

Heretic said:
i hate that cherry picker...

WAY too much hype...

Ugh...

Go Halo!
no mames wey

EazyB

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Every time I play Halo 3, I am reminded that it is not Reach. :)
Fixed

Domino Theory said:
Watch it be Grifball :lol

Excited to see what it is. Hopefully it's heavily objective-based.

OuterWorldVoice said:
bold that shit

One of my favorite short stories ever

Fixed.
Hah, How could I forget Robt. He and his wife were so nice up at PAX to all of the fans. I remember asking Lars a few questions regarding the canon, and he said to go straight to the source: Mr. McLees. The man knows his Halo. If I came to understand it correctly, he's responsible for a significant portion of the fiction right?

How much did he help for the storyline of Reach?

OuterWorldVoice said:
You sir are a man of taste and distinction.
For sure - the letter that the son wrote to his father was one of the most emotional, self-sacrificing letters I didn't think science fiction was capable of. The terminals weren't a cookie cutter read, which is what I liked.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bungieware said:
I've been meaning to get Bungie Pro for I while now, but if I buy it at this moment in time will it work for Reach as well as Halo 3 (and for both when Reach comes out)?

I would think so, especially since we were able to use it to render beta films.

EazyB

Banned
Kibbles said:
Really cool thread over a GT. Good luck getting it together though.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/halo-reach---titan-mode--pics-/1106649
We've yet to see how forge works with invasion on invasion maps let a lone non-invasion maps like Forge World. I really hope they don't back on that customization and allow users to create SvS or EvE invasion gametypes without bro-spawning (pretty much multi-stage BTB). I also hope they have figured out a way to set up invasion gametypes on non-invasion maps with spawns and geometry set to activate/deactivate on certain stages.

We haven't heard anything about forge and invasion which makes me fearful that its customization may be pretty limited but good God it would be objective-heaven if we could do what I described.

Edit: Ah, the more I think about it the more hyped I get at the possibilities. I need some dream-crushing ASAP before I set myself up for more disappointment.

Oozer3993

EazyB said:
We've yet to see how forge works with invasion on invasion maps let a lone non-invasion maps like Forge World. I really hope they don't back on that customization and allow users to create SvS or EvE invasion gametypes without bro-spawning (pretty much multi-stage BTB). I also hope they have figured out a way to set up invasion gametypes on non-invasion maps with spawns and geometry set to activate/deactivate on certain stages.

We haven't heard anything about forge and invasion which makes me fearful that its customization may be pretty limited but good God it would be objective-heaven if we could do what I described.

Edit: Ah, the more I think about it the more hyped I get at the possibilities. I need some dream-crushing ASAP before I set myself up for more disappointment.

I refuse to think about it just so I don't set myself up for disappointment. I don't want to even entertain thoughts of anything that might not make into the game.

P.S. Chicharito sucks.

GhaleonEB

Oozer3993 said:
I refuse to think about it just so I don't set myself up for disappointment. I don't want to even entertain thoughts of anything that might not make into the game.
We know we can set kill zones (hard and soft) via Forge. And that Forge has game type-specific options for objectives. And we've seen that we can place those one-way walls via Forge. So I think it stands to reason that we'd be able to place them linked to the phase objectives of Invasion. I'd say the gametype wouldn't really be customizable without it. As for maps, Bungie has said that all MP maps are compatable with all MP game types.

My big question is, are the objectives of the Invasion phases customizable? Can I make Phase 1 a round of Assault? Plant the bomb to blow the doors to steal the flag, that sort of thing.

Domino Theory said:
I am confused, the most recent Edge has no Halo in it, and the next one doesn't come out until the 31st.

I checked twice, there's definitely no Halo.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
GhaleonEB said:
We know we can set kill zones (hard and soft) via Forge. And that Forge has game type-specific options for objectives. And we've seen that we can place those one-way walls via Forge. So I think it stands to reason that we'd be able to place them linked to the phase objectives of Invasion. I'd say the gametype wouldn't really be customizable without it. As for maps, Bungie has said that all MP maps are compatable with all MP game types.

My big question is, are the objectives of the Invasion phases customizable? Can I make Phase 1 a round of Assault? Plant the bomb to blow the doors to steal the flag, that sort of thing.

I don't want to get my hopes too high but one would think that when designing Invasion and then moving to upgrade to Forge 2.0 and Forge World that Bungie had to have been thinking that people are going to want to create and customize their own Invasion maps and phases.

Might be wishful thinking but from a design aspect you want to set realistic limits, not let the player forge every kind of gametype accept one, especially when it is their last Halo. I am optimistic for some Invasion forging that isn't limited, if it is oh well I will be sad for like half a day. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:

We got a brief confirmation of Invasion being usable in Forge World in one of those Bnet Forum Q&A's if I recall. But I agree with your request to know more about the Invasion customisation options.

Whilst I doubt we'll get much, if any, options for Invasion in non-Invasion maps (Invasion on Swordbase and Reflection? Nah) I really hope the maps that do have it have plenty of user defined variables.

Like the huge shield walls on Boneyard which are disabled between rounds for example. I want to know the scope of those options so I start reigning in or drawing out some ideas.

Gah. I guess I want to make a huge proper Conquest/Invasion hybrid.

Striker

LunaticPuma said:
This.

So-so netcode (though admittedly better than many other games), weak grenades, and lack of variety are wearing thin (BRs on bad maps). I want to be able to play campaign, firefight, and MP without changing a disc too! :lol
We gon' play campaign? :)

Also hope Invasion is improved, but from the sounds of it, it doesn't appear so. :\

EazyB

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
I get that, I just can't stop.

We've seen that Boneyard's territories were probably placed using forge and it's safe to assume that if we can use Forge at all for invasion that we'd also be able to set up the spawns. That would imply that some system is in place to allow forgers to designate when the objectives and spawns are active.

Them you have things that make forging Invasion sound too complicated. On boneyard, stages triggered events like phantoms appearing and longswords flying through the air. If you changed the location of the final core destination, would the phantom follow? Would it act as a piece of unalterable geometry and always appear there on the third stage? Does that lock an Invasion map to a certain amount of stages? What if forge objects were placed where it would eventually appear? Maybe those triggered events would just not appear in custom variants. These questions make me think that invasion maps could only be made by Bungie. If you went into a map like Boneyard you'd only be able to forge for more traditional gametypes on it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
angelkimne said:
I am confused, the most recent Edge has no Halo in it, and the next one doesn't come out until the 31st.

I checked twice, there's definitely no Halo.
:(
I own all EDGE issues with huge Halo reveals. Hopefully their review of Reach is extensive.

Alienshogun said:
I think Raptr is a bit better. It's like Xfire but it tracks console games too.

Yours seems a bit simpler though for people wanting just a client to track xbox.
I sued to yse Xblist-The app Gui linked to, but Raptr added better XBL support.

I use Raptr because it notifies me of Game invites, Messages , and Party Invites frm Xbox live on my PC when I'm afk lurkin GAF. With only about a 5-minute delay which is very good considering it's the only one that does that well along with the rest of it's feature-set. You don't have to use all it's features, you can use it for however many of it;s features you like to use.

It also tracks my Xbox360/PS3 hours/achievements along with my PC hours/Steam achievements so I can have both my worlds of PC Gaming and Console Gaming records synchronized into one. Managing all my IM clients through it as well. The inclusion of in-game chat helps a bit even though that feature is still being worked on as the software is still just in Beta stages.

Top Bottom