• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Campaign Trailer

Kibbles

Hey You said:
Anyone who frequents BNet may have noticed Shishka aka Chad Armstrong no longer posses the Bungie Employee Gold Bar and Text.

I hope this won't effect MM updates and such.
=o What happened? Is he going to 343?

Hey You said:
Anyone who frequents BNet may have noticed Shishka aka Chad Armstrong no longer posses the Bungie Employee Gold Bar and Text.

Huh. That's unfortunate, maybe going back to Certain Affinity?
Unless this is just a mistake, best of Luke Master Armstrong (Don't be a stranger).

Most Pressing in Related to Reach: Will we have a Bungie staffer where MM/Community Map Fostering is their Primary/is one of their Primary jobs?

feel

Never really payed much attention to that forge objects pic, just now noticing the tiny spartan, the dice, and the random vehicles here and there. Some of these pieces are enormous.

Hey You said:

I hope he's not leaving :/

I'm picturing juices opening a bottle of champagne as he reads that

I'm excited to try Forge World, because a combination of not having the patience for Forge in Halo 3, combined with having a niggling perfectionism about things being straight, meant even simple things were beyond me.

Hopefully this is easier and more intuitive, and I can work on creating a cool symmetrical 4v4 slayer map.

Letters said:
Never really payed much attention to that forge objects pic, just now noticing the tiny spartan, the dice, and the random vehicles here and there. Some of these pieces are enormous.

I hope he's not leaving :/

I'm picturing juices opening a bottle of champagne as he reads that
If shishka did leave, and it isn't a mistake I hope it was under mutual, good terms. I never like to see a Bungie employee leave, and it would be 10x more awkward if it were under questionable circumstances.

Lazslo

So this is going to be Bungie's first Halo game with a full development cycle without some sort of ARG. Halo: CE had the Cortana letters, H2 had 'I love bees' and H3 had Iris. I can't believe there isn't some form of Viral marketing for Reach, it's really disappointing. Even ODST had that website with those actors playing the ODST's in a briefing. I wish they hired the group/company that did the Sadie Story, it's not like Microsoft couldn't afford it. There is however still time for something to start on the Viral Marketing front, it's just a shame nothing is happening yet. I was really looking forward to something like Iris, and with the amazing writing talent at 343 these days, it just seems like a massive missed opportunity.

It's also seems like nobody really cares either, there hasn't really been any mention on the interwebs of the lack of an ARG for Reach. I though more people would be upset for sure.

Reguarding Shiska: maybe he went to 343i to help with their future support for Reach. This would be pretty good because it means someone from Bungie will keep Reach Fresh and updated for many years to come.

Dirtbag

Major Williams said:
If shishka did leave, and it isn't a mistake I hope it was under mutual, good terms. I never like to see a Bungie employee leave, and it would be 10x more awkward if it were under questionable circumstances.

Why would you jump to that conclusion? The project just wrapped, they are moving to a new building. I'm sure plenty people move onto new jobs at times like these.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lazslo said:
So this is going to be Bungie's first Halo game with a full development cycle without some sort of ARG. Halo: CE had the Cortana letters, H2 had 'I love bees' and H3 had Iris. I can't believe there isn't some form of Viral marketing for Reach, it's really disappointing. Even ODST had that website with those actors playing the ODST's in a briefing. I wish they hired the group/company that did the Sadie Story, it's not like Microsoft couldn't afford it. There is however still time for something to start on the Viral Marketing front, it's just a shame nothing is happening yet. I was really looking forward to something like Iris, and with the amazing writing talent at 343 these days, it just seems like a massive missed opportunity.

It's also seems like nobody really cares either, there hasn't really been any mention on the interwebs of the lack of an ARG for Reach. I though more people would be upset for sure.

Technically the Cortana Letters weren't up to the same ARG par as the other two.

Even with Birth of a Spartan, Reach's marketing is certainly different. The marketing companies behind previous Halo games won plenty of awards and accolades for their work. Doubting we'll see a repeat of that this time around.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Dirtbag said:
Why would you jump to that conclusion? The project just wrapped, they are moving to a new building. I'm sure plenty people move onto new jobs at times like these.

Yeah, I don't think it would be anything negative either.

I am assuming he is head to 343 to work on future MM side of things over there.

Cerilli

Neo Member
Lazslo said:
Yeah, it's too bad.

I was listening to an IGN Podcast (with Louis Wu? I think?) and they were saying that ARGs aren't necessarily the most effective method of marketing, as it is hard to see how much attention it actually brings to the game. Also, they tend to typically attract the hardcore fans who will already be buying the game anyway, so there may not be a point in it.

The discussion went something like that, anyway. Regardless of my potentially inaccurate paraphrasing, the logic seems to be... logical.

WJD

I'm considering hopping on to play some matchmaking now with people that aren't idiotic randoms. Anyone in?

EazyB

Banned
I would be very surprised if Shishka went to 343 (assuming he no longer works at Bungie which I'm very skeptical about).

big ander said:
I'm guessing somebody accidentally flipped a switch and/or pushed a button and/or pulled a lever.
If I had to guess he's getting a new Bnet title like "Forge Overseer." At least I hope they're not spreading him as thin as they did in Halo 3 where he didn't have the time to both update playlists and review community content.

Dirtbag

Cerilli said:
Yeah, it's too bad.

I was listening to an IGN Podcast (with Louis Wu? I think?) and they were saying that ARGs aren't necessarily the most effective method of marketing, as it is hard to see how much attention it actually brings to the game. Also, they tend to typically attract the hardcore fans who will already be buying the game anyway, so there may not be a point in it.

The discussion went something like that, anyway. Regardless of my potentially inaccurate paraphrasing, the logic seems to be... logical.

plus ARG fatigue after 3 ARG's in a row. They are much more effective when they are unpredictable and engaging. It gets a bit routine after 3 don't you think? Ilovebees hit when Halo hype was at a ferver and was so ambiguous that people were hooked, you just can't expect that level of hype again when you continue to do it each go round and especially for a game where we already know the outcome of the story.

Lazslo

EazyB said:
I would be very surprised if Shishka went to 343 (assuming he no longer works at Bungie which I'm very skeptical about).
Yeah it would be a great job for him at 343i and very beneficial for us- someone with good experience always updating and refreshing hoppers. He could focus on putting community maps into matchmaking alot better and faster then what happened in H3 all while letting Bungie focus exclusively on their next big thing:
Gnop 2!! Believe.

I'm not going to complain about a lack of ARG this time around, but it'd love to see more live action and gameplay trailers this time around.

Live action to touch on moments that give Reach and the Spartan III program some life. These can make as much sense as the "believe" ads from Halo 3, and serve to set the mood. Gameplay commercials can show us the real deal in terms of scope and desperation (like the campaign teaser so far).

Hell, toss in one commercial that just flashes on the screen all the things you can do in this game: campaing, co-op, saved films, forge, invasion, etc. etc. etc.

Halo Reach: It only does almost everything.

Dirtbag said:
No jumping to conclusions here. :D

And I would have agree with Eazy - I'm skeptical he even left, being as important as he was to Reach and the continued support he is likely to give.

Edit: And there's still time for an ARG and I am crossing my fingers. It wouldn't be Bungie's last hurrah without it IMO.

All Bungie Halo games = ARG for greatness.

Dirtbag

Major Williams said:
No jumping to conclusions here. :D
uhhh whatever
And I would have agree with Eazy - I'm skeptical he even left, being as important as he was to Reach and the continued support he is likely to give.
I'm skeptical he even left because I don't see how not having a bungie icon next to his name on an internet forum means he doesn't work there anymore... and I'm sure if Shiska was leaving Bungie would probably announce it in sendoff style. Has nothing to do with Reach what so ever. These projects are grueling affairs, I wouldnt be surprised to see any of them tap out at projects wrap and get back to their families, friends, lives.
Edit: And there's still time for an ARG and I am crossing my fingers. It wouldn't be Bungie's last hurrah without it IMO.

All Bungie Halo games = ARG for greatness.

Bungie doesn't pay for the advertising. It's MS's decision. Something viral could happen, but an ARG this late in the game is so far from likely its almost silly to bring it up. Showing game footage and modes, etc. is far more effective at this point in the cycle.

zethren

Banned
I hope shishka isn't leaving, that would be sad. But if he is, I'm sure he's on to bigger and better things. We'd miss ya on podcast. :(

Hey You

Dirtbag said:
u
I'm skeptical he even left because I don't see how not having a bungie icon next to his name on an internet forum means he doesn't work there anymore... and I'm sure if Shiska was leaving Bungie would probably announce it in sendoff style. Has nothing to do with Reach what so ever. These projects are grueling affairs, I wouldnt be surprised to see any of them tap out at projects wrap and get back to their families, friends, lives.
I'm pretty sure Bungie doesn't like to advertise when they fire/someone quits.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dani said:
Even with Birth of a Spartan, Reach's marketing is certainly different. The marketing companies behind previous Halo games won plenty of awards and accolades for their work. Doubting we'll see a repeat of that this time around.

Hasn't really started yet.

:D

Gui_PT

OuterWorldVoice said:

xanu39.jpg

OuterWorldVoice said:

Nice, I'd started to think it was going to ride into retail on the name alone... But it's a month away, how long are you guys going to wait before pulling the trigger? :lol

OuterWorldVoice said:

I do hope so, hype in the general hardcore scene seems somewhat tepid in comparison to this time in Halo 3 (and even to an extent ODST).
I'm sure fatigue is part of it but nothing a strong marketing push couldn't overcome to a large degree.

The MM playlists have been acting up for the last week or two, especially SWAT.

Top Bottom