• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

ElRenoRaven

squidhands said:
Wanted to let Ghaleon sleep in.

Uh huh sure you did. I think you guys are just slipping. It's ok though because I was asleep when this one was made. lol

And woot woot. First post of the final page for us 100 per page cool kids.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
It's funny how both Ram and Ghaleon agree on the zero bloom yet both come from opposite ends of the Halo playing spectrum.

It really does give me confidence for the TU.

And all this Halo 2 remake talks saddens me, really. 343 are focusing on making new Halo experiences and that's what the franchise needs in the long term.

A few years down the road with Halo 4 out the door, I'd like to see some fresh experiences like Halo Wars and ODST -games that expand the franchise instead retreading old ground.

Celebrating 10 years of Halo with a remake is fine but I'd hate to see Halo games remade just for the sake of it.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
It's funny how both Ram and Ghaleon agree on the zero bloom yet both come from opposite ends of the Halo playing spectrum.

And all this Halo 2 remake talks saddens me, really. 343 are focusing on making new Halo experiences and that's what the franchise needs in the long term.

A few years down the road with Halo 4 out the door, I'd like to see some fresh experiences like Halo Wars and ODST -games that expand the franchise instead retreading old ground.

Celebrating 10 years of Halo with a remake is fine but I'd hate to Halo games remade just for the sake of it.
Thats the thing though they dont want to remake it for the sake of just remaking it, they would want to do it for the fans if they want it. Just like CEA (thought CEA was also helped by the fact it was a 10 year deal)

Also I am sure with how 343 are doing things that Halo 4 will probably be my new favorite Halo game, but I would still like to be able to play remastered versions of the old ones too :)

Deputy Moonman said:
I played the Gamecube port, Skies of Arcadia Legends, and it was just so-so. Was it a straight port or a revision of the game entirely?
You know, I honestly don't know - maybe Ghaleon will be able to answer that. Skies gameplay wasn't for everyone with the turn-based combat and random encounters, but the relationships you built with your team, your base, and your airship were unlike any other game of that era for me. Did you manage to make it through the story? There were some pretty incredible moments.

Man, now I'm really jonesing. From a brief research run on eBay, it looks like a copy of the game would cost me more than a Dreamcast console. :/

Louis Wu said:
Nah, I kept mine, too.
:\ those are actually pretty cool bags. I instincitively said no to a bag when I bought my two Grunts. I just assumed it was some generic lame'o bag.

That sketch is awesome though, it's incredible how much talent some people have. I know if I tried to draw that in 5 minutes it would end up looking for like something Frankie would draw.

Ramirez

Gui_PT said:
Please 343, show us you know what you're doing with idlers in Reach!

So i hop on to play soome FF and get paired up with a Forerunner. As soon as I see his rank, I magically guess he's an idler.

Match starts and what does he do?
He goes here. He then proceeds to rubber band his left analog so he won't be actually idle without "moving"

He doesn't do it every match but he does it pretty regularly. He waits til he gets a couple of kills and then does this.

It's crap like this that ruins FF. Please 343, make this right.

This could be easily fixed by making credits tied to actually participating in the game, the main credit payout should not be tied to the time spent in the game, such a huge oversight. This goes over to MP as well, people wouldn't drag games out if you were actually rewarded for winning the game quickly. (don't even come at me with the slot machine)

Ghal, I think it worked for Timberland because the map has such a large amount of cover, Hemo would probably be a chore, because traversing the map with bloom is already a chore.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:

Celebrating 10 years of Halo with a remake is fine but I'd hate to Halo games remade just for the sake of it.

I don't mind them for Halo and Halo 2. After all those two could use these graphical tune ups and hopefully MS is thinking about BC for the 720 and if so this would make it easier for these two games in the franchise to live on on the 720 and beyond. Also I would like online co-op for Halo 2. Maybe then I could fucking beat that damn Legendary. Bullshit cheap ass crap it is. Only damn Halo game I haven't beaten on Legendary.

Farooq said:
I wonder if in 6-7 years, will anyone ask for a Halo 3 remake?

...Nope.

I don't because I think the games released on this console are fine. With the 360 MS was smarter in one area. They made sure they could make the next console BC by making sure they owned the the chipset and other stuff. That's the one lesson I remember them saying they took away from the Original Xbox.

So hopefully 360 games will be BC next gen and by doing anniversaries of Halo and Halo 2 that would ensure they were along with the rest of the franchise.

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
It was awesome because people were on their best behavior towards the end. I agree with Fyrewulff, as long as the shitty (yes, they were shitty) exploits were fixed I would love to play some H2 multi again.

didyouknow_superbouncing.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Thats the thing though they dont want to remake it for the sake of just remaking it, they would want to do it for the fans if they want it. Just like CEA (thought CEA was also helped by the fact it was a 10 year deal)

Also I am sure with how 343 are doing things that Halo 4 will probably be my new favorite Halo game, but I would still like to be able to play remastered versions of the old ones too :)

Halo didn't become a multi-billion dollar franchise with remakes. Halo has consistently pushed the envelope and offered new gameplay experiences and features which have pretty much defined two generations of video games.

Remakes won't be defining any generation of video games nor will they ever push the boundaries and widen the scope of the industry itself.

I think it's a clear case where fans shouldn't be listened to as pandering to them with remakes would hurt the franchise over time.

Falagard

Dani said:

Celebrating 10 years of Halo with a remake is fine but I'd hate to see Halo games remade just for the sake of it.

While I agree with you in general about fresh experiences, the problem is that I want to play Halo 2 over Xbox Live because it's one of my favorite Halo games, but I can't because it's no longer possible.

If I could just throw in Halo 2 and play on Xbox Live I would.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
Halo didn't become a multi-billion dollar franchise with remakes. Halo has consistently pushed the envelope and offered new gameplay experiences and features which have pretty much defined two generations of video games.

Remakes won't be defining any generation of video games nor will they ever push the boundaries and widen the scope of the industry itself.

I think it's a clear case where fans shouldn't be listened to as pandering to them with remakes would hurt the franchise over time.
Im not saying they will....

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I feel bad for crapping on wwm0nkey's dreams, but CEA being the only remake would be for the best.

New developer, new games, new vision, more breadth. I welcome the new chapter of Halo.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:

I'm sorry but 2 remakes aren't going to hurt the franchise. Now I do agree if they turned around on the 720 and redid them all again including 3, ODST, & Reach. However I'm sure they won't go that far.

I think Halo and Halo 2 have earned the right for a couple of reasons. MS had to emulate the xbox on the 360 due to issues. This caused not so great emulation in Halo 2 for example. MS didn't make the same mistakes with the 360 so they could easily include BC in 720. By having 360 native versions of 1 & 2 this would ensure that all the games are intact on 1 console.

wwm0nkey

Actually to be honest I would not mind a whole Remake map pack on Halo 4 or Halo 5 either as long as they where able to keep the gameplay somewhat close to Halo 2.

Or do you guys have something wrong with Remake Map packs? :)

Dani said:
Ditto. And as much as I enjoyed H2, and am certainly a defender of it due to its narrative, I don't share the same wish to return to it as others did. It was the MP game of choice for my friends and I, but that was then..
I can live without it really, perhaps happily so. I'm more interested in the new than too much of the old.

I'd be okay/happy with a map pack tribute though.

Ramirez

I think we can all agree that if they didn't plan on shipping Halo 2's MP as intact as they could, then there's no point in remaking it.

So only two people have submitted a run for this so far, which means they automatically win if no one else enters. The contest will close tonight at 10PM, submit a faster run before then and you can win one of the two grand prizes.

Rules
  • Download the Map/Gametype off my file share
  • Race to the end of the map and pickup armor lock to end your time
  • Shortcuts are allowed *
  • Email me or PM me with your time and a link to the whole game on your file share
  • Contest only open to US and Canadian residents (</3 Euro GAF)

Gametype 2.0

Map 2.0

Grand Prize - Estimated Value (based off Ebay $100.00+ )
(There will be two Grand Prize Winners, the only difference is the avatar prop)

• HaloFest Mega Bloks - Halo CE UNSC Warthog
  • Oct 2011 OXM
  • Halo Fest Mega Bloks - Halo CE Covenant Elite
  • Energy Sword Avatar Prop OR Cortana Avatar Prop
  • Cloth HaloFest Swag Bag

alYTHl.jpg

FaiFYl.jpg

rESFdl.jpg

Good Luck!

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Actually to be honest I would not mind a whole Remake map pack on Halo 4 or Halo 5 either as long as they where able to keep the gameplay somewhat close to Halo 2.

Or do you guys have something wrong with Remake Map packs? :)

I don't. To be honest I wish that 343 would put Certain Affinity to work porting every single halo map to Halo 4. Then in future games make it so that you could import all the maps from the previous game. Hence from 4 on you would have every map ever made for the previous games. Kind of like some of these music games did with the music and dlc music. It would also as a side bonus ensure that we'd never be lacking in maps again and allow all future games to focus on new maps.

darthbob said:
Dude, it's ONLY like 8:30 here.
I get up at 3:45am every day during the workweek, so seeing daylight is "sleeping in" for me. :)

Louis Wu said:

(That's a sketch by Robogabo, a concept artist on the Halo 4 team, done in under 5 minutes. The man's scary-fast.)
That's awesome.

Ramirez said:
This could be easily fixed by making credits tied to actually participating in the game, the main credit payout should not be tied to the time spent in the game, such a huge oversight. This goes over to MP as well, people wouldn't drag games out if you were actually rewarded for winning the game quickly. (don't even come at me with the slot machine)
Absolutely. It's currently backwards in FF; you should have a better payout if you're able finish the game faster than the time allotted, not the other way around. I'd be totally fine with an across the board lowering of the Game Complete bonus and a ratcheting up of the performance bonus. The GC obviously has very little affect on quitters, and is actually more enticing to idlers.

Ramirez said:
Where were the Sword props being handed out at?
Either when you filled in your survey or the night of the VIP party, I honestly forget when I got it. But those are the two 'stations' that you received the avatar props from

GECK

Do people actually think Halo 4 is going to be good?

So 343 is going to make a better Halo game in 2 years as opposed to the usual 3+ years Bungie took.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
I'm sorry but 2 remakes aren't going to hurt the franchise. Now I do agree if they turned around on the 720 and redid them all again including 3, ODST, & Reach. However I'm sure they won't go that far.

I think Halo and Halo 2 have earned the right for a couple of reasons. MS had to emulate the xbox on the 360 due to issues. This caused not so great emulation in Halo 2 for example. MS didn't make the same mistakes with the 360 so they could easily include BC in 720. By having 360 native versions of 1 & 2 this would ensure that all the games are intact on 1 console.

The Halo CE remake isn't yet out but we already have folks asking and demanding that Halo 3 is remade.

If they did for ahead with a Halo 2 remake at some point, it is almost certain that before that game would come out folks would be asking about a Halo 3 remake. One remake opens the door for more remakes as fans think all they have to do is ask for it and it will happen and of course, if 343 did announce another remake the fans would naturally expect the remakes to continue.

You can sit and and list off all the reasons why you think one game deserves a remake and other don't but if 343 start to make a habit of it then there are folks that could just as easily justify why the other Halo games should be remade too, more so as this generations ends and the next one begins in a few years time.

Funny thing, people here would expect a Halo 2 remake to feature online multiplayer but fail to realiSe Halo CE's multiplayer wasn't cut due to time constraints alone. Folks want their remakes and want their remade multiplayer and think it can happily co-exist with the Halo games already out there. It's just not going to happen.

Folks were in denial about CE's lack of remade multiplayer were in denial until it was officially announced and it's the same type of folks that would be in denial any future potential remake's multiplayer.

Besides, the Halo 2 fans here right now have plenty of Reach remakes of Halo 2 maps either already prsent or coming in a few month's time. Bringing over older maps to the latest Halo multiplayer (Reach for now, 4 for later) is probably the best way of handling things. Provided the map remakes are made with the care and attention to details fans want, then the majority of folks will be happy - see Midship in Halo 3 as a great example to please Halo 2 fans in what was then the current Halo game.

Tawpgun

I assume you have power Wu? Lucky bastard...

I really wanted to get this weekly done... :(

@GECK

Halo 4 has been in development for a whiiiiiiiiile.

wwm0nkey

GECK said:

So 343 is going to make a better Halo game in 2 years as opposed to the usual 3+ years Bungie took.
Halo 4 started in 2009 (or earlier) I think and its coming out in 2012, so those three years should be plenty and with the team they have? Yeah I think Halo 4 is going to be good lol

senador

Banned
GECK said:

Halo 4 has been in development/planning for 3 years now. That's a luxury Bungie never had even with Halo CE. So given that, the kick ass team they have assembled, and their Bungie-esque Community involvement...yes it is expected Halo 4 will be awesome.

I need to add that I am hoping for it to be awesome, expect good, and am cautious and somewhat worried since its the first non Bungie Halo and the first full production game for this team. I think they can do it though.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
GECK said:

best be trollin'.

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 4 started in 2009 (or earlier) I think and its coming out in 2012, so those three years should be plenty and with the team they have? Yeah I think Halo 4 is going to be good lol
that's assuming they quickly started working at full speed, which I doubt (it's a completely new studio afterall)

GECK said:

Yes we do, and it's been in production for longer than 2 years.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GECK said:

You don't seem to be aware of how long Halo 4 has been in development. Halo 4 was started over two years ago shortly after 343 was formed. They still have over a year of development time left before the game ships so in the end it will have had the same kind of development time frame as Halo 3 and Reach. Nobody should think it's been given a short than needed development cycle because it hasn't.

Is the game going to be good? I think most folks here should be cautiously optimistic. It's the studio's first game but they are some of the best talent in the world. There's never a guarantee though and they huge expectations placed on them, more so than any other developer in the world I'd say.

With a billion dollar franchise resting on their shoulders, they are probably aware of the responsibilities a and I don't think they would be trusted with it unless there was confidence there that they do well by it.

All we can do is sit back and hope for the best.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
The Halo CE remake isn't yet out but we already have folks asking and demanding that Halo 3 is remade.

If they did for ahead with a Halo 2 remake at some point, it is almost certain that before that game would come out folks would be asking about a Halo 3 remake. One remake opens the door for more remakes as fans think all they have to do is ask for it and it will happen and of course, if 343 did announce another remake the fans would naturally expect the remakes to continue.

You can sit and and list off all the reasons why you think one game deserves a remake and other don't but if 343 start to make a habit of it then there are folks that could just as easily justify why the other Halo games should be remade too, more so as this generations ends and the next one begins in a few years time.

Funny thing, people here would expect a Halo 2 remake to feature online multiplayer but fail to realiSe Halo CE's multiplayer wasn't cut due to time constraints alone. Folks want their remakes and want their remade multiplayer and think it can happily co-exist with the Halo games already out there. It's just not going to happen.

Folks were in denial about CE's lack of remade multiplayer were in denial until it was officially announced and it's the same type of folks that would be in denial any future potential remake's multiplayer.

Besides, the Halo 2 fans here right now have plenty of Reach remakes of Halo 2 maps either already prsent or coming in a few month's time. Bringing over older maps to the latest Halo multiplayer (Reach for now, 4 for later) is probably the best way of handling things. Provided the map remakes are made with the care and attention to details fans want, then the majority of folks will be happy - see Midship in Halo 3 as a great example to please Halo 2 fans in what was then the current Halo game.

They aren't going to please everyone. But just because they can't doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. Also anyone asking for a Halo 3 or above remake is just a dumbass. That's not an opnion there. That is a fact. Why would you ask for a remake of a game that is already on the console and works perfectly while looking great already? That's a waste of resources there. Halo and Halo 2 the same can't be said for however and do make sense.

Dani said:
You don't seem to be aware of how long Halo 4 has been in development. Halo 4 was started over two years ago shortly after 343 was formed. They still have over a year of development time left before the game ships so in the end it will have had the same kind of development time frame as Halo 3 and Reach. Nobody should think it's been given a short than needed development cycle because it hasn't.

Is the game going to be good? I think most folks here should be cautiously optimistic. It's the studio's first game but they are some of the best talent in the world. There's never a guarantee though and they huge expectations placed on them, more so than any other developer in the world I'd say.

With a billion dollar franchise resting on their shoulders, they are probably aware of the responsibilities a and I don't think they would be trusted with it unless there was confidence there that they do well by it.

All we can do is sit back and hope for the best.

I agree with you 100 percent there. 343 by the time Halo 4 comes out will have had a lot of time for it. All we can do is sit back and see what they come up with.

Tunavi

Banned
Wow, serious conversation on the last page? I am disappoint.

TOP 10
Devolution 852
FyreWulff 611
PsychoRaven 603
Letters 598
Hypertrooper 567
GhaleonEB 560
wwm0nkey 536
A27 Tawpgun 533
Tunavi 530
Steelyuhas 470

Devolution SLAUGHTERS the competition after Fyrewulf took an early lead. Tashi made is way back to the top 15 after not finishing OT4 and coming into OT5 halfway, color me impressed. 9 and 10th place are held by two scrubs.

Edit: Xenolock lives up to the disappointment by not making the top 10 once again.

FyreWulff

Hydranockz said:
Thank you based God. Do I just need to generate it now so?

I'd generate your key right now. I actually just asked Urk if he could get clarification on Reach API access after subscriptions end and after the shutdown of Bungie Pro.

ElRenoRaven

Tunavi said:

TOP 10
Devolution 852
FyreWulff 611
PsychoRaven 603
Letters 598
Hypertrooper 567
GhaleonEB 560
wwm0nkey 536
A27 Tawpgun 533
Tunavi 530
Steelyuhas 470

Devolution SLAUGHTERS the competition after Fyrewulf took an early lead. Tashi made is way back to the top 15 after not finishing OT5. 9 and 10th place are held by two scrubs.

Jesus Devolution!!!

Halo 2 Remake im firmly in the yes category for.

Halo 2 defined online gaming on consoles as it is today, without it xbox and halo wouldnt be where they are, it was arguably the biggest thing to happen the series it brought it 100,000s to millions of players daily.

To those saying this generation wont be defined by remakes and they will just hurt it more than anything i have to disagree, they arnt stunting development at all their fan service nothing more, Both Halo4 and CE:A are being worked on at the same time for example. Their essentially side projects and its great to have older games in HD be it for the sake of decent compatibility for modern TV's or a newer console.

The Point is, Theres no reason to NOT do it all the current arguments are paper thin. If 343 are actively considering it with the foreknowledge that they have the reclaimer trilogy its obvious that trilogy can be worked around a H2 remake.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
They aren't going to please everyone. But just because they can't doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. Also anyone asking for a Halo 3 or above remake is just a dumbass. That's not an opnion there. That is a fact. Why would you ask for a remake of a game that is already on the console and works perfectly while looking great already? That's a waste of resources there. Halo and Halo 2 the same can't be said for however and do make sense.

It's fine to say that now and I'm not talking about it being a possibility today. What about tomorrow? Next year? When the next generation of hardware arrives? After Halo 3 is finally taken offline?

It's not stupid. Halo 3 will eventually go the way of Halo 2. It will be outdated and offline and there will be folks asking for a remake. Maybe not today, but somewhere down the the line.

Additionally if Halo 2 is remade, fans will think it is more than likely Halo 3 will get remade at some point. The more remakes that get produced, the more folks will expect them to keep coming.

I'm looking at the longer issue here, not just this year or the next. Remakes should not become a trend for this franchise. Halo CE is a one-off, but Halo 2 would mark the start of a trend that would perpetuate itself.

wwm0nkey

Tunavi said:

TOP 10
Devolution 852
FyreWulff 611
PsychoRaven 603
Letters 598
Hypertrooper 567
GhaleonEB 560
wwm0nkey 536
A27 Tawpgun 533
Tunavi 530
Steelyuhas 470

Devolution SLAUGHTERS the competition after Fyrewulf took an early lead. Tashi made is way back to the top 15 after not finishing OT5, color me impressed. 9 and 10th place are held by two scrubs.
DAYUM Devo! lol

ElRenoRaven

StalkerUKCG said:
Halo 2 Remake im firmly in the yes category for.

Halo 2 defined online gaming on consoles as it is today, without it xbox and halo wouldnt be where they are, it was arguably the biggest thing to happen the series it brought it 100,000s to millions of players daily.

To those saying this generation wont be defined by remakes and they will just hurt it more than anything i have to disagree, they arnt stunting development at all their fan service nothing more, Both Halo4 and CE:A are being worked on at the same time for example. Their essentially side projects and its great to have older games in HD be it for the sake of decent compatibility for modern TV's or a newer console.

The Point is, Theres no reason to NOT do it all the current arguments are paper thin. If 343 are actively considering it with the foreknowledge that they have the reclaimer trilogy its obvious that trilogy can be worked around a H2 remake.

Exactly. It is obvious that if Halo 2 were to get a remake like what CE got that they would probably go the same route they did with the first. In fact one for Halo 2 may go faster because they know what they are doing now and it has some of the hooks in it that the first game lacked. It was intended to have online co-op in fact. Also was designed for xbox live. The first wasn't this lucky.

Dani said:
It's fine to say that now and I'm not talking about it being a possibility today. What about tomorrow? Next year? When the next generation of hardware arrives? After Halo 3 is finally taken offline?

It's not stupid. Halo 3 will eventually go the way of Halo 2. It will be outdated and offline and there will be folks asking for a remake. Maybe not today, but somewhere down the the line.

Additionally if Halo 2 is remade, fans will think it is more than likely Halo 3 will get remade at some point. The more remakes that get produced, the more folks will expect them to keep coming.

I'm looking at the longer issue here, not just this year or the next. Remakes should not become a trend for this franchise. Halo CE is a one-off, but Halo 2 would mark the start of a trend that would perpetuate itself.

Well let's worry about that when that time comes. We don't know when they'll kill Halo 3, ODST, or Reach. And again there is a huge difference betwen those and Halo 1 & 2. Those games are HD already and support HD resolutions. They are on the 360 and MS can include the chipset in future consoles unlike the original Xbox. So those unlike 1 & 2 can be played and easily and look good on any future consoles unlike these first 2.

I do agree though that after 2 they don't need anymore remakes without a doubt.

So I am curious how you guys feel about this... If they DO make a Halo 2 and/or Halo 3 remake would you like them to handle it the same way they did for CEA (Update the campaign, throw the MP maps into the latest Halo)?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Devin Olsen said:
So I am curious how you guys feel about this... If they DO make a Halo 2 and/or Halo 3 remake would you like them to handle it the same way they did for CEA (Update the campaign, throw the MP maps into the latest Halo)?
That's precisely why I personally have a vendetta for 2/3 remakes. I don't care for either campaign, so why not just do a 'classic' map pack.

Top Bottom