• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault |OT| Feels Like Halo

Caayn

I get this:

My phone is definitely up to date and the game is available in the UK. I'm guessing it's because I'm with Three and not Orange :/
Halo SA doesn't even show up when I search for it in the store. I can only see it on the website (windowsphone.com) and via the QR code. But both give me the same error.

My Phone is up-to-date my carrier is T-Mobile and I don't live in the US. Why 343i can I not download it for my Phone?

Edit: Anyone found out if it's possible to change the graphical settings on the PC version? I'd like to run it windowed instead of full screen.

Ruze789

So is there really no way to earn credits in game? You can only buy them with real money? That's pretty shitty. Played through the first 2 campaigns and still haven't earned a single credit. Talk about nickel and dime tactics.

What are the credits used for, is it just cosmetic stuff or is it attached to something you need to progress?

My Live account is US, however I am in Brazil.

Normally I could switch regions on the phone and access every market, paying with paypal.

No luck this time, tried US, UK, Germany and Brazil, all gives me the same error, that the application is not available to me.

Is it specifically checking for Live regions?

Hargenx

My Live account is US, however I am in Brazil.

Normally I could switch regions on the phone and access every market, paying with paypal.

No luck this time, tried US, UK, Germany and Brazil, all gives me the same error, that the application is not available to me.

Is it specifically checking for Live regions?

I'm on Brazil too, and is showing Halo for me 12 dilmas.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can you name drop your surface pro a few more times? I'm having trouble remembering which device you own.

salt-shaker1.jpg

It's pertinent to the thread. Also you're 5 pages late. Well played.

zorbsie

You can buy weapons (that last only one round) and boosters and probably more with them.

If it was pay once I wouldn't complain as much, but yeah one time use only is pretty bad. It's not as if I haven't dropped 14 dollars on this game buying it on both platforms. I've played free to play games that give you ways to earn credits slowly and buy them if you don't want to grind. I can accept that. But this just feels wrong. Would have loved to do some levels with the rocket launcher just for laughs.

Caayn

If it was pay once I wouldn't complain as much, but yeah one time use only is pretty bad. It's not as if I haven't dropped 14 dollars on this game buying it on both platforms. I've played free to play games that give you ways to earn credits slowly and buy them if you don't want to grind. I can accept that. But this just feels wrong. Would have loved to do some levels with the rocket launcher just for laughs.
Agreed. These are the two major things that are wrong with this game. Credits can't be earned ingame, and there's no cross-buy. Even though both are connected to a MS account.

MarkusRJR

Yeah this isn't available on Telus. Maybe Rogers got a timed exclusivity deal since both Verizon and a EU carrier (assuming the above posts are true) have them.

zorbsie

Agreed. These are the two major things that are wrong with this game. Credits can't be earned ingame, and there's no cross-buy. Even though both are connected to a MS account.

The thing that makes the no cross-buy sting even more is that progress is synced between the platforms.

I don't want to complain too much though. I really like playing the game. Looks and sounds great. Have only played on surface and phone, really want to check out mouse and keyboard controls on the desktop. Can't wait for controller support to show up.

Ruze789

Well I suppose I'm happy to hear that actual game progress isn't behind a paywall, but it blows that there's no way to even grind for credits in a $7 game.

Caayn

I haven't finished the game yet, so it's a bit early for me to talk about the canon. But there are some grave mistakes. For example the first active Spartan IVs was in 2553. Yet the first mission in the game takes place in 2552 with Sarah Palmer already as a Spartan IV instead of an ODST.

I'm aware that we still need to wait for the third book of the Kilo-Five trilogy. Maybe that book is going to explain things / rewrite things again.

I'm on Brazil too, and is showing Halo for me 12 dilmas.

How? Do you have an US or Brazilian Live Account?

Mine is US, although my cellphone account is Brazilian (unlocked device bought in Brazil).

I switch to Brazilian Marketplace and still gets the same message.

zorbsie

The micro transactions wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to grind for the credits. If you want to try any of the extras like boosts, weapons and power ups you have to buy in game credits with real money. On top of that those things only last one round! For a game that costs $7, that seems very slimy.

I played the game on the desktop with mouse and keyboard. Have to say I like this control scheme a lot. I only wish I could map some of the commands to my other mouse buttons. Like change weapon with the wheel and melee with mouse 4/5.

Does it cost $7? If not you can't really compare them.

I'd pay money for it, yet I never have spent a penny on microtransactions for it nor do I feel the desire to.

Microtransactions do not automatically break games, it depends on how they are implemented and how the game is structured.

derFeef

Looks pretty good on my HTC 8X, but sometimes it chugs and the audio skips/glitches, I guess it's loading? Controls are... well they are touch controls but at least the touch area adapts when you slide off, that's nice.

I haven't finished the game yet, so it's a bit early for me to talk about the canon. But there are some grave mistakes. For example the first active Spartan IVs was in 2553. Yet the first mission in the game takes place in 2552 with Sarah Palmer already as a Spartan IV instead of an ODST.

I'm aware that we still need to wait for the third book of the Kilo-Five trilogy. Maybe that book is going to explain things / rewrite things again.

Palmer is in it? ugh really, she is the worst.

Hargenx

How? Do you have an US or Brazilian Live Account?

Mine is US, although my cellphone account is Brazilian (unlocked device bought in Brazil).

I switch to Brazilian Marketplace and still gets the same message.

On PC I'm Brazil, and is there, Loja -> Destaques just on the front page.

Caayn

Palmer is in it? ugh really, she is the worst.
I know. But uptill now she has been mute, thank god for that. Her voice is good, but the script makes her horrible in Halo 4.

Anyway, just was able to buy to the WP8 version. For some reason the WP8 version is €6.49 while the W8 version is €5.99. It's a small difference but still, why?

So far I like that the plasma repeater, wolverines and flame grenades are back in the game. And it's funny but Spartan Assault feels more like Halo than Halo 4 did to me. I dislike that the PC version feels like a quick and dirty port. Due to the lack of features such as key-binding.

Edit:
Just played a game on my mobile. The touch controls takes a few second to get used to but they're good. The WP8 and W8 version each have their own achievement list. So you can have the game twice in your gamehistory when you've got both versions.

Spasm

Edit: Anyone found out if it's possible to change the graphical settings on the PC version? I'd like to run it windowed instead of full screen.

It's a Metro app, so it only runs full screen, unless you have a 3rd party hack to 'window' Metro apps. You can snap it, though. That works really well.

Damn it! I paid for the game and when I go to install it (win 8.1 preview) It asks me to login in and then it says there was an error.

Caayn

Damn it! I paid for the game and when I go to install it (win 8.1 preview) It asks me to login in and then it says there was an error.
There's a reason as to why W8.1 isn't released yet ;)

Kinda would negate the whole point of the game.

Co op would be nice though.
Co-op would be sweet. Even if it was just co-op like ODST, were you could only play with your friends.

Also is it just me or are the letters in the WP8 version a bit small/vague?

stktt

Banned

I'm getting the same error. Still doesn't work after synching the app license, resetting the Windows store, and rebooting my Surface.

Xbudz

Didn't read through the rest of the thread...but you realize you can change your Win8 region easily to buy it? Right? Right....?

Nah. The thought never crossed my mind. If it had, I probably still wouldn't have bothered.
Things need to work as intended, especially when you're telling people when it's going to be available ahead of time. Right? Right....! :p

Top Bottom