• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Making my way through Halo CE for the first time.

Spoilers, obviously, although I am assuming most of you have played it:

The music is fantastic. As voice acting and sound in general has improved, music has been under used. Many titles go for the atmospheric sound effects with very limited background music. Halo CE goes all in.

When the music ramps up, you know it is going to get good.

I'll be honest though, I was just playing the 343 Guilty Spark level, and I was like "I've done this, I've been here, I've beaten these enemies, I've done this corridor, oh same thing, oh same enemy etc". I had to ground myself though and remind myself this game was made just over 13 years ago. FPS games and shooters, especially on consoles, were a different breed to today.

Anyway, I decided to stick with it and play out.

I found the marine who was going crazy and shooting at me, which sparked my intrigue. I was like "what is going on?"

I made my way to "the room" and the little cutscene played out. Where were those noises coming from? What is going on?

Then the door opened, Mendoza fell, and I was like "These grunts couldn't do this to the marines? Surely? What is going on?"

Then, as I am sure you all know, I pick up the helmet cam/recording and watch things play out, and I am introduced into The Flood.

Shotgun + AR + The Flood. Wow. This game transformed, no longer was it grunt after grunt, it was wave after wave of these new enemies. I had no clue about them, no idea!

My experience of Halo prior to this was Halo 2 Multiplayer (briefly) and a I half had a go at Halo 3 Single Player (mainly played the multiplayer though). I had no idea who or what the flood was.

I can only imagine what this experience must have been like for people back in 2001, especially console owners.

Overall, I am glad I stuck at the game after a few dull level, for that experience alone. I suspect, things are only going to get better too.

Blarg

Neo Member

The music is fantastic. As voice acting and sound in general has improved, music has been under used. Many titles go for the atmospheric sound effects with very limited background music. Halo CE goes all in.

I'll be honest though, I was just playing the 343 Guilty Spark level, and I was like "I've done this, I've been here, I've beaten these enemies, I've done this corridor, oh same thing, oh same enemy etc". I had to ground myself though and remind myself this game was made just over 13 years ago. FPS games and shooters, especially on consoles, were a different breed to today.

I found the marine who was going crazy and shooting at me, which sparked my intrigue. I was like "what is going on?"

I made my way to "the room" and the little cutscene played out. Where were those noises coming from? What is going on?

Then the door opened, Mendoza fell, and I was like "These grunts couldn't do this to the marines? Surely? What is going on?"

Then, as I am sure you all know, I pick up the helmet cam/recording and watch things play out, and I am introduced into The Flood.

Shotgun + AR + The Flood. Wow. This game transformed, no longer was it grunt after grunt, it was wave after wave of these new enemies. I had no clue about them, no idea!

My experience of Halo prior to this was Halo 2 Multiplayer (briefly) and a I half had a go at Halo 3 Single Player (mainly played the multiplayer though). I had no idea who or what the flood was.

I can only imagine what this experience must have been like for people back in 2001, especially console owners.

Overall, I am glad I stuck at the game after a few dull level, for that experience alone. I suspect, things are only going to get better too.

Halo campaign is what originally sucked me in. The Flood introduction was awesome, and the music is amazing.

Fuck Truth and Reconciliation on legendary though.

That's great that you never had it spoiled for you. And yeah, it was quite awesome in 2001 (and still is). Wait till you get to the final level :)

Sephzilla

The 343 Guilty Spark level is definitely what hooked me into Halo. Everything about that entire level was A+. It was the right kind of "out of nowhere" plot twist that sent me into a pulse accelerating "what the fuck is going on" state.

Akai__

If you earn an achievement when you're offline it'll unlock when you go online. I assume the same goes for when there's a problem with the XBL servers.

Turns out you are right. Achievements just popped for me and my friends.

Still pretty annoying, especially since you don't know if they will really pop afterwards. If I knew they would, I'd have continued to do some.

Dan Ayoub still hasn't posted on Twitter at all since November 12. He'll probably be in hiding forever.

I really hope he isn't the one MS is blaming. Dan Ayoub is a pretty nice person.

Dan Ayoub still hasn't posted on Twitter at all since November 12. He'll probably be in hiding forever.

He was a regular tweeter for years and the moment the MCC was released he went totally missing and continues to be two months later.

Definitely either hiding or fired.

RdN

Tried to play Halo 4 for about 30 minutes tonight. Absolutely no matches found. Stuck on "Searching for more players" forever.1

He's a coward.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I played two H4 matches earlier. Funny, Infinity Slayer didn't appear for voting at all. Was Team Slayer/Legendary Slayer/Extraction both times. Only tried Hardcore once and got Hardcore Slayer on Lockout, was 3v3 though. Still very fun.

They could fix the multiplayer any day now. Any day.

One or more players is not ready...

What do we have to do exactly to be ready?

Havoc2049

I played two H4 matches earlier. Funny, Infinity Slayer didn't appear for voting at all. Was Team Slayer/Legendary Slayer/Extraction both times. Only tried Hardcore once and got Hardcore Slayer on Lockout, was 3v3 though. Still very fun.

Besides load-outs, I don't think there is Infinity Slayer in the MCC for Halo 4. I have yet to play a Halo 4 match with ordnance drops in MCC.

Madness

He's a coward.

Your comment is perhaps the reason he isn't tweeting. Do you know how much abuse he's probably gotten? Why would he post? Anything he says will rile up angry fans. It's not about being a coward, but waiting until things are fixed before talking again. He's posted an official apology before. It reminds me of the Mass Effect 3 ending and how Mac Walters also stopped tweeting for a while.

Dan, as executive producer on MCC and one of the public faces for the game, probably understands he's getting the brunt of the blame from fans. Plus, as Frankie said, the 'wall of silence' is a combination of not wanting to make promises without guarantees and because they just want to get it fixed.

On an unrelated note, Team Hardcore is brutal. Forgot what really high level Halo 2 play was like. No motion tracker definitely takes a bit to get used to.

RdN

Your comment is perhaps the reason he isn't tweeting. Do you know how much abuse he's probably gotten? Why would he post? Anything he says will rile up angry fans. It's not about being a coward, but waiting until things are fixed before talking again. He's posted an official apology before. It reminds me of the Mass Effect 3 ending and how Mac Walters also stopped tweeting for a while.

Dan, as executive producer on MCC and one of the public faces for the game, probably understands he's getting the brunt of the blame from fans. Plus, as Frankie said, the 'wall of silence' is a combination of not wanting to make promises without guarantees and because they just want to get it fixed.

On an unrelated note, Team Hardcore is brutal. Forgot what really high level Halo 2 play was like. No motion tracker definitely takes a bit to get used to.

The guy was one of 343i most active Twitter users. The second problems started to pile out, he vanished.

See, I don't want promises. I just want the EXECUTIVE PRODUCER to "man up" and face his costumers. Yes, he would (and will if he ever shows up again) take a lot of flack, but it would be completely deserved. No professional should be excused after such a giant of a failure.

But he chose the easy way, he went into hiding. He wasn't even capable of retweeting the updates posted on Waypoint and answer a couple "Sorry. We're fixing it" tweets a day, like Frankie, Bonnie and others have done.

If he had done this, he would be labelled as an incompetent (which he and 343i as a whole were for the TMCC project), and would be in his hands to fix it. But now, he's an incompetent AND a coward. And this kind of thing, you don't just fix.

Toa TAK

Banned
Maybe they'll fix the campaign after they get functional MM?

Partying up for MM is a nightmare, as opposed to going at it solo which works fine enough.

iMax

Just received a message from Xbox Live. They're extending users' Xbox Live Gold memberships for an extra month for "our continued support for Halo: The Master Chief Collection".

Somewhat ironic, because I'd also like to see their continued support for Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

HBP

Just received a message from Xbox Live. They're extending users' Xbox Live Gold memberships for an extra month for "our continued support for Halo: The Master Chief Collection".

Somewhat ironic, because I'd also like to see their continued support for Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

I got it too even though I got a refund on the game, win!

El_Chino

Same here, waiting for that odst now.

They've got DLC plans. They've also got MCC pack-in plans to arrive with Halo 5. Microsoft really needs this game to be fixed, so we can expect plenty of patches down the line.

Toa TAK

Banned
Got the message as well. Cool.

But we played a game of Halo 3, 8 players for Team Slayer, and the game puts 5v3, giving us the extra player. -_-

Can't even out the teams properly it seems.

Toa TAK

Banned
It also splits parties across teams. When I played a week ago, we had a 4v2 game where one of the guys on my 3-person group was on the 4 and the other two of us were on the 2.

Still? I thought they fixed that...

Not that it matters since my party can't find a game anyways.

I really hope 343i doesn't forget about this collection over Halo 5.

It is my sincere hope that at this year's E3 and every single PAX and every other games industry event, if 343i has a conference/stage presence, they get boo'ed to the point where it actually delays and interrupts them.

They have not been raked over the coals publically. No. Not nearly enough.

EDIT: I'm talking wrestling-fan boo's, maybe even some chants, "You fucked up! You fucked up! You fucked up!"

Mine01

I have been playing the MCC for a couple of weeks without problem, maybe a bit long wait times but nothing so bad. Oh also a I had an awful lagged match on halo Ce but I blame that on my sister watching Netflix.

I go solo so maybe that's why.

DJ Gunner

I have been playing the MCC for a couple of weeks without problem, maybe a bit long wait times but nothing so bad. Oh also a I had an awful lagged match on halo Ce but I blame that on my sister watching Netflix.

I go solo so maybe that's why.

Yep, it works alot better going alone than trying to play as a party. The larger the party, the worse it is.

Kssio_Aug

What is trully ironic is that I pre-ordered it, played since day one, I may have tried it hundred of times, and I still got no code... most people already got it, so I'm starting to fear that I wont be getting it.

I regret to have paid 60 dollars for this game. I really do.

RowdyReverb

I haven't played much MCC since the H5 beta released, but so far this evening matchmaking has been significantly faster and with fewer quitters. I've played 5-6 games so far with no quitters and 1 AFKer. Maybe the poor sports are all off playing the beta?

Madness

I just don't see any future anything for this game. It's become a disaster sales wise. Was supposed to be perhaps the best selling Xbox One game and yet it just plummeted past the first week. Not even top 20 or top 30 in UK, barely charted on NPD for November, didn't even show up for December. The legs have been taken out from under it. ODST and Relic are easy solutions to try and dissuade some anger, provide some incentives for having bought the game, sort of like what Ubisoft did with Unity.

Whatever population remains is definitely too small to devote any meaningful resources making more maps for H2A or maybe porting Reach. So many refunded the game, and with beta ending, I'm certain many more will finally trade it in. Halo 5 isn't as bad as people thought and so 343 would rather focus on that come November and beyond. Just sad. This could have been one of the greatest game collections ever, instead, it's probably been the worst launched game of the modern online era.

Top Bottom