• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands on: Rocket League Switch (60 fps!)

Dipship31

My biggest concern with the game is just how it will feel control wise in handheld mode using the joycons. I think you'll get a very true to PC/XBox/PS4 experience in tablet or docked mode using the Pro controller, but since I am using handheld mode only on the Switch I'm very curious to see how it holds up using the Joycons.

I'm sure I've put many hundreds of hours into rocket league by now, own it on PS4 and steam. Day 1 on switch.

Edit - don't get excited about cross-play, it's just increased matchmaking pool, no actual teaming up with friends.

My biggest concern with the game is just how it will feel control wise in handheld mode using the joycons. I think you'll get a very true to PC/XBox/PS4 experience in tablet or docked mode using the Pro controller, but since I am using handheld mode only on the Switch I'm very curious to see how it holds up using the Joycons.
This is my biggest concern as well. I'm afraid that if you want to get remotely competitive, 'Handheld Mode' will almost definitely put you at a disadvantage if you go online. Not sure how the digital triggers will feel either...

I'm definitely getting it though. Psyonix deserves all my monies.

FX-GMC

At least Psyonix is planning to implement it in the future:

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/roadmap-after-autumn-update/

So excited for this.

For those who don't want to click the link:

PARTY TIME!
Along with a Tournaments Beta before the year is done, we will also be testing a new Party System that we're building directly into Rocket League. When finished, this new system will allow you to party up directly via PsyNet instead of the party systems currently used through Steam, Xbox Live, or the PlayStation Network. Our first test(s), however, will be limited to Steam players.

Once your account is flagged for the new Party system, your game will automatically sync with your Steam Friends List information and allow you to create a party via PsyNet. You'll still use the 'Create Party' button as you normally would, but instead of seeing a Party invite in Steam, you'll see new in-game notifications alerting you to a Party invite.

While the PsyNet Party System is Steam-only, this is the first step in enabling the possibility of supporting cross-platform parties at a later date. We'll have more information about the new Party System once we're closer to launch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Like FIFA?
Cross platform online, exclusive cars, HD Rumble, 60fps, all the content is there. It’s a social game that can easily please a Nintendo crowd, and it’s one of the most obvious titles you’d want to play as a handheld, even if you have it. The fact it’s cheap will make people double dip. I think it will be huge, both sales wise, and in terms of image.

Ac30

How did panic button become the switch port team?

I have no idea, but the fact that they can’t get either Rocket League or Doom to run at a higher resolution when docked is kinda sad; the GPU doubles its clocks yet they can’t use it?

Lylo

Not always.

That's true, but you can easily adjust the speed with timely touches on the trigger, i played a little bit on the PC version using the Pro Controller just to see how it felt and it was good, i think the lack of analog triggers won't be a huge issue.

Scrawnton

I have no idea, but the fact that they can’t get either Rocket League or Doom to run at a higher resolution when docked is kinda sad; the GPU doubles its clocks yet they can’t use it?
I think it’s more of a “man we have to get these two ports out in time for the holidays, let’s just optimize docked mode post launch” than a lack of programming or technical knowledge.

MutFox

Banned
When does it release?

Have it on PC, probably have like 1000+ hours.
I still love the game.

Will get on Switch.
Would love to play split screen when on the go.
Just passing a joycon to player 2.

Wonder if they'll add motion controls as an option.
Would like to try adding air control to motion on the joycon.
Due to missing an analog in 2 player mode if shared.

As someone who grew up playing racing games on a keyboard, I am always amused whenever people talk about digital triggers making driving games somehow impossible to play.

As someone who grew up playing racing games on a keyboard, I am always amused whenever people talk about digital triggers making driving games somehow impossible to play.

I also grew up playing racing games on a keyboard.

Doesn't mean it isn't bottom tier garbage, zero nostalgia.

18-Volt

These Panic Button guys need to take on more Switch ports. They're truly miracle workers. Fallout 4? Evil Within 2? Or even... Red Dead Redemption 2???

neurophd

Really curious how well this will control in handheld mode and if I can be competitive in cross play vs. a conventional controller. I usually play with Xbox Elite controller using paddle for boost.

MutFox

Banned
Have played Rocket League on a keyboard and mouse.
Works fine.

Took a bit to get used to it, but it's good.
Prefer a controller setup.
That's just preference though.

You're buying a game you think will suck? Do you just want to support the devs or something?
I mean it will suck compared to PC which I already have the game on. But yeah I'll buy it for those times I want to play in bed or something and because I think Psyonix deserve the support.

Basically if I want to properly play the game I'll play on PC. If I want a quick mess about I'll use the switch.

Also works in two ways, I will suck at the game because of no analogue triggers.

I played it in handheld mode and it felt great.

Neiteio

Easily one of the greatest multiplayer games ever made. It's fun from the very first moment you throttle the boost, ride up a wall and across the ceiling, and double-jump to bicycle kick the ball. So good. Atmosphere is also underrated — the sounds of the crowd, the rain in certain arenas, the lights of the stadium, etc. Game has a very warm and cozy feeling. And since this has crossplay, there will always be lots of people playing.

It's impressive to me that Switch is already getting two of the most fun PS4 games (Rocket League and DOOM). Hopefully they port over MGSV at some point; I'd love to put another 200 hours into that game.

Also, fwiw, I honestly can't tell a visual difference between this Switch port and the original. It looks identical to me.

Top Bottom