• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-on with GTA 5 on PC at 4K - IGN

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Going to triple dip for this. Just maybe not at launch. Looking forward to seeing if it runs nicely at 4K on my 3770k and 970 FTW.

30 FPS is fine for now.

Damerman

Do you think there'll be a marked improvement of downloading this to an SSD rather than a normal 3.5 hdd?

in load times, for certain. I don't know about any other benefits though. I tried to guess that it would help with pop ups one time, but someone smarter than me told me that the pop up issue is more related to communication between CPU and GPU and RAM.

Aranath

Sucks about Steam but i'm not willing to download 60gigs (and i also want to be sure to be able to play it on the 14th and not after 3 days of download lol)

It's up for pre-loading now. I'm downloading it as we speak. 5/60GB finished so far. 33 hours remaining on my connection.

Dinjoralo

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...et-here-and-why-it-was-worth-the-wait-1290506

TechRarad's CDN's got 3840x2160 pics with great image quality.

RSG_GTAV_PC_Screenshot_047.jpg
I'm sorry, but those reflections look bad. Cars are not that reflective, and the way the reflections warp near the edges of the door and such just looks cheap-y.
EDIT: Found a 'better' example of this.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
and open world game finally giving us the view distance we deserve.

Dinjoralo

Huh. Well then. I'd still say the reflections don't look good. I mean, look at that helicopter. Look at the speckly disco ball on the front, the weird seams on the side, the weirdly shiny metal holding the rotors together, and the pixellated lightning bolt right next to that.

LilJoka

Real life graphics suck.

Also the game's been leaked. As awful as that is, I imagine we'll start hearing some more first-hand accounts of graphics scaling.

Only the preload files are out there. Totally useless in their current encrypted state. And some files are probably missing, there is a 58mb patch on release.

Nzyme32

Huh. Well then. I'd still say the reflections don't look good. I mean, look at that helicopter. Look at the speckly disco ball on the front, the weird seams on the side, the weirdly shiny metal holding the rotors together, and the pixellated lightning bolt right next to that.

I mean, clearly you are an expert on the matter. I'm not going to spoon feed you

IMACOMPUTA

Lol. This real life picture of reflections on a car looks near EXACTLY the same as GTAV's and you say they look bad.

What.....

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This might be the first game that drives me to get a gaming PC.

Kvik

Same rig as PC gamer, I7 5930k @ 3.5GHz, 2 x 980 and a big SSD. That's what we know about it.

I'm keeping my expectation in check though. That 6GB VRAM in this screenshot might not even come from 980 (Could be a Titan):

Anyway, I have almost the same rig as PC gamer, only I OC'd to 4.4GHz and got my SSDs in Raid0, so we'll see if I can actually have a solid 60.

Purchased on Steam and downloaded it, 5 hours 10 minutes later I am now having to wait a few more days to play it lol. Might fire up a previous GTA to pass the time.

Wallach

I pretty much skipped GTA IV (my Steam copy has a whole 60 minutes played) but I think I'm going to grab this along with an XB1 controller. Looks impressive.

Mohonky

My 2GB GTX 670 probably won't be able to run this at 1080p 60fps, will it :(

Same card, 4770k stock and 16gb ddr3 ram (1333 from memory)

Goal is 1080p / 30fps which is enough for me. Hoping I can get reasonable eye candy out of that.

Permanently A

The video memory bar is back! That is the greatest thing ever, no idea why others don't utilize it.

I really need to upgrade my card soon...

Having only played the ps3 version, GTAV is much better than IV.

I did the total opposite of that person, I have played IV more often than I did V. When IV came out I didn't touch it again for about 2 years once I finished the storyline missions (no motivation to go back and replay it). I have since replayed it on the 360, ps3 and finished it multiple times on pc. It gets a bad wrap (for me it's too realistic, I love the OTT nature in past games like Vice City where you could go on a carnage spree and see how long it takes before the wanted level guns you down), but it's still good to play now and then.

I have not touched the 360 version of V since I finished it in late October / early November 2013. Had no motivation once I finished the story missions - I never even bothered to complete all of the stock market missions afterward. GTA: Online didn't interest me at all.

As for why I have purchased the pc version ? It's to check out the technology advancement compared to the last generation to this generation. It's a bit of a gamble (you could say its a $60 Australian dollar gamble lol). We shall see if I play it for longer than 10 minutes - I hope I do. One of the things I hated about V on the 360 was the frame rate while driving, that and the controls detracted from the overall experience. People complained about the driving in IV, I had zero problems with that haha.

hesido

This game was designed to work with PC, PS4 and XboxOne from the ground-up, using some forward thinking, so it's not exactly a "port", for those who are wondering. Of course they probably concentrated on PC version even further adding features and tweaking after the console release.

Also having consoles as the baseline spec requires optimizations which benefit PC's more often than not :=) Waiting for their current-gen only game for obvious reasons, with the memory limitations gone (compared to having to work with <512MB) they can probably add a lot of game changing elements with the extra mem instead of just having higher quality textures / models / sounds.

Sjefen

My rig:
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
Intel Core i7-4790K
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB PhysX CUDA
HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB

My current monitor is only 1440p and I want to upgrade before GTAV and Witcher 3, so what does NEOGAF recommend a 1080P or a 4K monitor?

Salsa

im hoping for 1080p/60 with a 2gig 680 and an i5 2500k at 4.0ghz

not max settings obviously, but movin it around a bit, most stuff on normal. I'll take it over max at 30

and yeah, recommended settings probably mean 1080p/30 at most

Salsa

btw kinda random but for those pre-loading on small SSDs (like I was going to):

keep in mind you'll need another extra 60gb free to unpack

i'll pre-load/unpack on a regular HDD and then move it over

ktroopa

btw kinda random but for those pre-loading on small SSDs (like I was going to):

keep in mind you'll need another extra 60gb free to unpack

i'll pre-load/unpack on a regular HDD and then move it over

i have this downloaded and it read 65GB from the installer. are you saying this was a compressed download?

Salsa

i have this downloaded and it read 65GB from the installer. are you saying this was a compressed download?

all pre-loads so far "double" in size when unpacking then basically delete the old, lets say

so for the time the game's unpacking you need to have double the game size free, in this case 120gb; after it's done and ready to play it'll be 60 again

ktroopa

all pre-loads so far "double" in size when unpacking then basically delete the old, lets say

so for the time the game's unpacking you need to have double the game size free, in this case 120gb; after it's done and ready to play it'll be 60 again

wow ok thx, il clear some space! thanks dude

yeah
you should refrain from talking graphics in the future. because your eyes are fooling you

Mr. Tibbs

Those screens look amazing. I wasn't expecting the system requirements to be so low (aside from the HD space). I might pick up a copy if it has a smooth launch. It's a stunning game.

Longshot

I wonder if my stock i5-750 and HD 5850 will run this alright, built it in late 09. PC is where GTA really shines, except maybe IV, haha. This'll be interesting!

I'm sorry, but those reflections look bad. Cars are not that reflective, and the way the reflections warp near the edges of the door and such just looks cheap-y.
EDIT: Found a 'better' example of this.

The game was delayed 3/4 times for "polishing". With all that polishing I am surprised we aren't being blinded by the reflections on the cars :p

I hope they put a lot of work into skin and eye shaders plus lighting in the next GTA. This looks kinda bad.

Why are there always a small group of people who expect the best of every technical visual feature in a MASSIVE OPEN WORLD GAME ffs...

"Oh there's a blurry texture there"

"Oh a 2d blade of grass pixel"

edit: god, people crying about the reflections too.

If you want that quality, don't play open world games.

Too many spoilt gamers who don't seem to appreciate the achievement of this game and engine. Especially the last gen versions. Anything improved on them is just icing on the cake and should be given the props it deserves.

Top Bottom