• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Nintendo 3DS! Has it been a year already?

Takao

Banned
3DS turns one year old so Nintendo/Pokemon Company announce Pokemon Black and White 2 for ... DS

how weird...

The Lamp

If there was a Metroid game that came out for the 3DS with Other M type of 2D/3D meshed gameplay (although heavily modified and made better) I would freak. I hope Nintendo's working on something Metroid related for this.

Pimpbaa

At no point did I say the other platforms weren't weak in their first year though. This is a common really bullshitty thing about GAF, you can't criticize anything without someone thinking you're secretly defending something else. This is a 3DS thread, I'm saying the 3DS disappointed me. If I was going to say another system disappointed me, it'd be in a thread dedicated to that.

The bullshitty part is that using your logic as to why the 3DS is no good means that you must hate every goddamn system that comes out.

Neiteio

System got off to a strong start with Pilotwings Resort. Sunk nearly 30 hours into the game, all capped off by the most delightful comeback of (spoiler alert)
Mecha Hawk
. For the life-long Nintendo nerd in me, that was an unrivaled rush of nostalgic goodness. So relaxing, just flying around, drinking up the details, basking in the atmosphere, listening to the music over the rising wind (ignore the objective in campaign if you want true Free Flight). And the main campaign was superb, with later missions requiring pinpoint precision, quick reflexes and nerves of steel. Perfect challenge + perfect control = can't put the game down. With the 3D dialed up, the sense of sheer open space was unrivaled, and the game wasn't just about depth -- try rotating the figurines in the 3D model viewer gallery to see a degree of pop-out not even movies have matched.

pilot-wings-resort-nintendo-3DS-oosgame-weebeetroc1.jpg

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D had a similarly addicting quality, in a surprisingly competent emulation of the HD Mercs experience, with the welcome revival of HUNK and Krauser (complete with new RE5-style context-sensitive melees) and RPG-lite loadout leveling and perks customization, as well as some great remixes of old settings and enemy layouts (including the bat/silkworm boss from RE5?!), not to mention badass unlockables like Grim Reaper HUNK. Online co-op in this game afforded me many nights of laugh-out-loud fun.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is the definitive version of the game. The re-texturing of everything, the optional gyro cam, the rock-solid framerate, the widescreen, the solid-looking 3D, the relocation of the HUD to the second screen, the masterfully implemented touchscreen inventory, including quick select of the Iron Boots and extra item assignment keys... It's all so well-done. The boss rush mode and mirrored version of Master Quest were great additions as well, the latter effectively doubling the game. This treatment NEEDS to be given to Majora's Mask, aka The Best Zelda Game.

Super Mario 3D Land is quite possibly the best Mario game to date. Pre-release talk of "combining 2D and 3D Mario" sounded like PR bullshit for "3D Mario with a flagpole at the end." But no, they actually pulled it off, creating a brilliant hybrid that has the addictive, no-frills, pick-up-and-play quality of SMB3/World with the dynamic level design and added interactivity of the Galaxy twins. The game looks every bit as good as its Wii siblings, and with 3D turned on it's absolute candy for the eyes -- incredibly tangible, like a pocket-sized world full of toys and colorful confection you can touch (or that can leap out and touch you, as I thought would happen when Mario leapt toward the screen in 5-2). The 3D is simply incredible, and there are two versions of it, too, tapping the D-pad to toggle pop-in or pop-out. The controls are peerless, imo, the dedicated run button allowing for some truly precise timing, and the second half of the game -- another eight worlds AFTER the first eight worlds -- put that control to the test. The game is jam-packed with content and polished to a shine -- they even have World-style artwork on the 3D postcards you collect and save to the SD card. Definitely one of the 3DS' crown jewels.

%5Banimepaper.net%5Dpicture-standard-video-games-mario-bros-super-mario-3d-land-bowser-220136-xechs-preview-8d4ceac8.jpg

Mario Kart 7 is another gem, marred only by the absence of a single-player Versus mode option like the one found in Mario Kart DS. Otherwise, it's a great new installment, with some of the best course designs in the series: the amazing new Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road (the BEST Rainbow Road, I might add), and one of my new favorites, DK Jungle. Wiggler, Lakitu and Metal Mario are all great new characters, though where's Waluigi? Another odd omission aside, a stellar game with fun new kart customization mechanics, gliding and diving that really spice up each course, and some reliably fun online play with relatively quick matchmaking and a bottomless supply of competitors from around the world (but stop picking Maka Wuhu, you cheating bastards!).

Pushmo is one of the best puzzlers in ages, right up there with Catherine. Being able to create your own puzzles, in a sprite editor the envy of Animal Crossing (you can fully customize the color pallet), and share it with others via QR codes is a stroke of genius. But it's the core campaign, consisting of hundreds of Nintendo-made puzzles, where you learn the mechanics, and boy do they shine. The simple act of waddling and jumping around has a buoyanty animated charm to it, and everything is crisp and colorful and oh-so-solid in 3D, where the three layers of depth -- background, mid-ground and foreground -- are wonderfully accentuated by the effect. Tight controls, smooth learning curve, abundant content, and limitless user content -- for $7 this is a STEAL.

Resident Evil: Revelations is the best game on the 3DS. Period. It's also the second-best RE title, slotting snugly beneath RE4. Actually, in many respects I prefer RER: the story is the best the series has seen yet, with a diverse cast of characters (many new) threaded through a strongly paced narrative that keeps you guessing as the plot twists and turns. Everytime the "Previously on RER" recap played, I smiled, and then the next chapter began and I smiled wider as I thought, "Wow, where will we go from here?" The production values are astounding; RER handily outclasses anything on Wii and would be right at home on the HD consoles. We're talking intricately detailed environments, abundant atmospheric effects from fog to particles to lighting; we're talking beautifully rendered and animated characters, and a soundtrack that is without a doubt the series' best, with many a strong melody, all orchestrated, and some breathtaking choir pieces near the end. The gameplay is perfect: you're never fighting the controls -- in fact, the game empowers you with the helpful persistant map, quick select via touch (also mapped to buttons) and gyro aiming (optional), and you can fully customize your controls, even with CCP support. Yet this is a return to survival horror, with a palpable atmosphere and enemies that take a licking and keep on ticking. You can shoot in first-person or over-the-shoulder; you can move while firing, sidestepping enemy projectiles as they come your way. You can scan your environments for hidden items, another great addition, and you can even dial the 3D up beyond the system max, accessing "Very strong 3D" from the Options menu -- it has ghosting at first, but once your eyes acclimate, it's incredibly immersive and pleasurable to the mind. The main campaign was a solid 12 hours for me, iirc -- longer than RE5 -- and then Raid mode, like a mission-based Mercs without the time limit, kept the fun going so that I've now logged 60 hours in the game, with the addition of leveling and loot and abundant perks and unlocks. Hopping online to tackle Ghost Ship with another legendary weapon-toting Lv. 50 never gets old -- nor does the costume you unlock for Jessica at Lv. 40:

rev3.jpg

"I can get used to that."

The 3DS hasn't been without its share of problems, but it's certainly served me well thus far. Happy birthday, and here's to many more years! Thanks to this thread, I now know that Mario Tennis Open has a NA name, boxart and release date. Things are getting interesting, and I'm looking forward to Kid Icarus Uprising and Luigi's Mansion 2 in the coming months. Who knows what we'll see next? I just know I love seeing Nintendo and company with all this power, and in a portable. It's a good time to be a gamer. :)

After playing Resident Evil I am going to have to buy the circle pad. my bear claws grasp the DS oddly and makes for firing very uncomfortable. I was really surprised how powerful the DS was though. I hadn't played but a few games on the old GBA so I really didn't know what to expect. And DQ9 brings me back to those old RPGs I grew up with. I missed rummaging around peoples closets and busting their clay pots for loot!

StuBurns

Banned
The bullshitty part is that using your logic as to why the 3DS is no good means that you must hate every goddamn system that comes out.
I didn't say I hated it. And no, I don't have to be disappointed by every system, because I'm not excited for every system, and I basically never buy them in the first year.

Rhod

Nope, he came via spotpass and he mentions that in his introduction as a 'special Mii'.

And yes, he's wearing gold. And his speech bubble is gold.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's been a year? Wow time flies.

I haven't gotten a 3DS yet (not because of the omg there will be a revision wait guys lol) but I shall be getting one sometime soon. Looking at the past year it was a very slow, but meaningful start for it because it taught Nintendo to always make a good launch. I see it's not only recuperated but it's doing so well that I can't really see it slowing down anytime soon. Happy Birthday 3DS and hopefully the lifetime will be as long as successful as the DS!

IrishNinja

so happy with my zelda edition one - lacks ambassador games, but it's really sharp!
i'll only trade this little guy when an XL comes along, but i don't expect that for another year or more, honestly.

strong first year after the turnaround, props to iawata for flying in the face of all that press/ios lol shit. i honestly don't think another company could've pulled that off, dropping price/first party lineup bomb that way.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Why I do love this portable very much. Bring on Smash 3DS Sakurai. I'm ready for it.

Somnia

Bought the system day 1 and then traded it in for the Zelda edition on Black Friday. Has been one of my most played systems since it launched. System is full of classics: Mario Land, Mario Kart, Resident Evil: Revelations, Starfox, Zelda, Pushmo. Also has some really good games to go along with them like Tales, VVVVVV, Sakura Samurai, Mighty Switch Force, Dillons Rolling Western, Ace Combat, etc. etc. I could keep going on.

Hell of a first year.

I fucking love my 3DS and the 8 games I have.
I think ive never been more surprised with a portable game than with RE:R. But the you have to add the awesome Mario Land, Mario kart, Ace Combat (that one also surpised me amazingly), Star Fox, Zelda...

BTW I cant play with 3D turn off right now, that how good it is for me.

KevinCow

Banned
What a weird-ass first year.

First it's set to be the next big thing just because it's the next DS. Then it comes out and doesn't do as well as Nintendo hoped so it's doomed. So Nintendo scrambles to fix it by dropping the price, so it's even more doomed. But dropping the price actually work, and along with actually starting to release games for the thing, sales suddenly take off.

And then there's the Circle Pad Pro nonsense in there somewhere.

Just a weird first year. But the system seems to be hitting its stride now, so I look forward to its future.

AntMurda

I kind of wish Nintendo got 1-2 more N64 remakes out. Unless, they completely plan on making new installments of the other franchises.

But hopefully we get an F-Zero. A Wave Race. A 1080. Punch Out. Metroid. All that good stuff.

And cheesemincer, I sent you a Vita invite, where you be brother?!?!

get outta here with all that! this for 3ds worship only!

gotta say, bought day one and feel like i overpayed slightly but am happy thus far with my 3ds!!
happy bday!

is there a way to block reggie from sending creepy swap notes?

I'll admit it: the launch sucked for me. i was damn bored all the time forcing myself to play SSFIV and pretending I was having a good time. Ghost Recon was great, but definitely not enough.
Sales were struggling, so that kind of added to the discontent. AR cards held my interest for ten seconds. The VC stank and I could care less about the Mii minigames

then Zelda came, not exactly what I'd wanted since I rarely replay games, but the remake was gorgeous and it was a good start
Then it was RE: Mercs' turn, entertaining but not enough meat. Still, tides were turning

SF64 blew me away. Beautiful visuals and hectic gameplay, a long campaign, great soundtrack, creepy final boss. Loved it

then november came. It was like "We're relaunching the 3DS now, fasten your seatbelts". An incredible string of games like Shinobi, Cave Story 3D, SM3DL, ToTA, PES 2012 and MK7 in a week. Night and day for me. With superb additions like VC's Pushmo, Link's Awakening and the freebies for early adopters. Nintendo really did turn the tide and I'm loving every second of this little bastard right now, and things can only get better. Happy birthday silly toy

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I picked it up a few days after the NA launch, been completely satisfied since day 1.

I have 9 3DS games and I'll have 10 in March when I pick up Kid Icarus: Uprising. I wasn't planning on it until that Nintendo Direct 13 minute video, that convinced me entirely, the MP looks great.

Special J

Banned
so if 3DS is 1 year old, by holiday 2012 its close to 2 years meaning a redesigned 3DS with dual analog, better aesthetics, and longer battery life is a distinct possibility?

its something that i've sorta been advocating since launch lol.

good show nintendo. i day 1'd and didnt give a shit when the price cut. instead of complaining i got one for my daughter. now shes all envious of my gba games.

now where are my kirby tilt and tumble, yoshi topsy turvy and warioware twisted? i got a gyro in my device that needs some using.

Boogiepop

good show nintendo. i day 1'd and didnt give a shit when the price cut. instead of complaining i got one for my daughter. now shes all envious of my gba games.

now where are my kirby tilt and tumble, yoshi topsy turvy and warioware twisted? i got a gyro in my device that needs some using.

Why would anyone want to play Topsy Turvy?

To be fair, I only tried it once, but maaan do I remember it being awful.

Just recently I started regretting owning a 3DS. Here's why:

I'm not interested in any of the games I got for it. I was at the time I got them, but now those game have gotten stale. I barely even touched Mario 3D Land and I'm too lazy to play it again, mainly because I have no interest in it.

My next game I want is Resident Evil: Revelations, but I don't know if I would be wasting my money on it or actually enjoy it and constantly play it like my console games.

I've also been leaning more towards a Vita, because games like Hot Shots Golf, Wipeout, and Lumines interest me more. Please Gaf, help me change. :(

Neiteio

You, sir, are a good dad! What games does the daughter like playing? :)

I'm not interested in any of the games I got for it. I was at the time I got them, but now those game have gotten stale. I barely even touched Mario 3D Land and I'm too lazy to play it again, mainly because I have no interest in it.

My next game I want is Resident Evil: Revelations, but I don't know if I would be wasting my money on it or actually enjoy it and constantly play it like my console games.

I've also been leaning more towards a Vita, because games like Hot Shots Golf, Wipeout, and Lumines interest me more. Please Gaf, help me change. :(

why change? Sell it and buy a Vita, what's so hard about it? It's what you want so go for it

Duxxy3

I'm just picking on the 3 games that you listed - why not just buy a cheap PSP for them?

olimpia84

Get Revelations and see if that changes your mind.

sfried

I hope it doesn't get to the point where 3D is required to play a game.
Oh, it will at one point. But there will always be a way for people with 2D-only vision to play. It just won't be as reliable as, well, depth perception.
why change? Sell it and buy a Vita, what's so hard about it? It's what you want so go for it
Well, he's asking for a change of heart, so...

Get Revelations and Snake Eater 3D.

You, sir, are a good dad! What games does the daughter like playing? :)

went with the classics, mario and mario kart. she wanted cooking mama and nintendogs so we got those too. only bad part is we got her a red one, and i think pink is out now(which she really wants. but my wife will take that red and give her a pink the day animal crossing comes out.

anyways, i honestly thought mario was gonna get shelfed, but she just opened up the special worlds.....makes me proud.

Why would anyone want to play Topsy Turvy?

i know it wasnt great, but i rather get some GBA games, than no GBA games.....

Neiteio

went with the classics, mario and mario kart. she wanted cooking mama and nintendogs so we got those too. only bad part is we got her a red one, and i think pink is out now(which she really wants. but my wife will take that red and give her a pink the day animal crossing comes out.

anyways, i honestly thought mario was gonna get shelfed, but she just opened up the special worlds.....makes me proud.
Again: You are a GOOD father. :) And congrats to your daughter for making it to the Special Worlds in 3D Land! That's a hardcore feat for a kid. :)

Fou-Lu

Urgh, this thread is reminding me that I still need to buy Resident Evil: Revelations, Pushmo and Tales of the Abyss. How much does Pushmo cost? And which first RE:R or TotA?

At least I preordered Kid Icarus Uprising so I'll just open my mail box to it on day one or two.

It's always going to come down to the games, ultimately, but honestly other than what the Vita has right now, it's pretty much a wasteland into the future as far as the eye can see. On the other hand, the 3DS lineup for 2012 is very impressive with a lot of high-quality, multi-million sellers on the way.

If nothing else, wait until E3 when you have a better picture of the lineups for both systems. But to sell your 3DS now for a Vita would be short-sighted and impulsive, if you ask me.

kiri

Completely forgot that today marked the 1 year anniversary until Iwata popped up on my 3DS this morning. Fittingly, I used him
to defeat the Golden Golem
in Find Mii II, so was pretty happy about that.

And in case people haven't already heard it; StreetPass Plaza Main Theme 7 is brilliant.

TheSailerman

Neo Member
I really want to buy a 3DS, but ever since I started working I've had little time for gaming. Hell, it took me 2 1/2 months just to finish Skyward Sword. This is the first time since the N64 I haven't purchased a new Nintendo console within a year of its launch (I was 7 in '96... couldn't quite afford one).

I've decided I'll pick one up the moment one of three things occur:
- Smash Bros. 3DS is released
- Retail games become available as digital downloads (I want to be able to play Mario Kart & Star Fox at any moment)
- "3DS Lite" or another price drop

The one thing that was really pushing me to buy one was to be able to download Four Swords, but now that it's no longer available, I don't feel so bad about waiting longer.

But Paper Mario is going to be so tempting!

Top Bottom