• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any online community gone to shit faster than Overwatch's?

Yeah, I also had +250 hours when I finally stopped playing. I solo que a majority of the time and was low/mid Diamond. It was just frustrating. I loved the game, but the community was something else. The second you lost a team fight and people would just go off the deep end like the game was already over. There was no point is chat because a majority of the time you had extremely toxic people and you couldn’t even communicate. I got to the point where I disabled voice chat and text; however that also hindered my ability to play at my best. So I eventually just said it's not worth it and uninstalled it.

Great game, but just a garbage community. If you do play get a group, that’s where it shines.

BNGames

Ranked ruined the good feeling the game had. When all we had was quickplay the community was much better.

Then again people who have 300+ hours get tired of people who don't realize that its a team game. And Blizzard does a poor job matching similarly skilled players in general.

n0razi

Umm someone has never played DoTA or LoL... every newbie goes from excited to disgusted in 10 seconds

Nepenthe

I've run into a few racist shitheads, horny twats, and people who just blame supports in general, but most of the time I'm solo queing in QP and I have a generally enjoyable experience. I like the chaos and ridiculousness enough to keep going. Granted, I'm without the mic (use chat and automated responses profusely), so I don't know how the experience would change if I revealed my gender. Being unable to call out low enemies is a worthy trade off for not being a target imo. In general, I really love the game, and the community hasn't given me too much shit yet to even think about quitting. If anything, I see more negativity and shitheadedness in the official topic than I do actually playing, and it makes me wonder how I'm bypassing it all.

There was no point is chat because a majority of the time you had extremely toxic people and you couldn’t even communicate. I got to the point where I disabled voice chat and text; however that also hindered my ability to play at my best. So I eventually just said it's not worth it and uninstalled it.

I had a few toxic encounters but by and large most of my frustration was from no one talking at all (because the game places them into their own private party chat and rarely would anyone switch over to team chat).

I was a Reinhardt main in Diamond and that was just not fun unless I had a full group. I'm not expecting pro level strats but like "let's push left" or something is pretty important in a game like that I reckon

Instead it just ended up being whoever had the best aim would carry and that was it. May as well play COD

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I say this before but my biggest reason why I HATE MP because my entire enjoyment depends on other people.

Neith

Banned
I did the same with Rocket League. I mean, at some point I just can't be doing that shit anymore. It's pointless. Fun games but you know what there is a lot out there.

It's not just the toxicity. It's the crack mentality of the game, and that crack mentality changes people and makes them horrible.

mikemandey

Still my most played game on PC. Never touch competitive only quick play. And I always disable text and voice chat. Lol

Ansatz

This right here - when I realized that my enjoyment of the game is not at all under my control, I lost most of my interest in Overwatch. It's a great game, but just more frustration and salt than enjoyment.

This is how I feel about Overwatch as well, it's not possible to pinpoint a specific play from one person you can attribute the win to. You don't know if the win was because you played well and that lack of feedback is frustrating. Splatoon would've been awesome in this regard if it wasn't for the hidden matchmaking (which btw OW has too, I was barely level 10 before I got into lobbies with only lvl 50-70 ppl. Fuck that shit, uninstalled the game asap)

ZeroGravity

From what I understand, the toxicity issues are largely non-existent in the Korean side of the game, since they tend to value the needs of the team over the needs of the individual. The "I paid $60 for this game, I can play it however I like" mentality doesn't really exist there.

Like, yeah it can suck that your success in the game depends in some part on the behavior of other players, but I think it's a problem that somewhat feeds itself because of how we approach multiplayer games here.

Irnbru

I did the same with Rocket League. I mean, at some point I just can't be doing that shit anymore. It's pointless. Fun games but you know what there is a lot out there.

It's not just the toxicity. It's the crack mentality of the game, and that crack mentality changes people and makes them horrible.

Hrm, it can be snide at times, but my experience on pc as of recently is that people tell the toxic people to stfu. Although I only play 3v3 competitive so who knows about rest

If someone wants to play something, let ‘em play it! They paid for the game, they can choose what how they wanna play/enjoy themselves

Yes that includes in Comp as well.

The fun way to play OW is not the correct strategy if you want to win. If you want to play randomly, you shouldn't do it in ranked.

It is not a good argument to suggest that paying allows you to pick random heroes and do wall-painting. If someone paid for the car they cannot drive the way they enjoy themselves because it is not good for the community.

Probably, but i don't know one off the top of my head. Once a metagame is established for any communication/team-based competitive title, it will instantly be a shit community, due to the variety of reasons mentioned in your OP.

This is why LoL cannot sink as low as Overwatch: the meta is strictly enforced in the game design: top, mid, jungler, ad, support. No such meta in OW which leads to many players choosing less effective compositions.

Competitive is a shit hole, which is impressive considering I played a ton of CSGO.

CSGO doesn't require a full teamwork, you still have plenty of chances to win even if one or two of your teammates aren't performing well or communicating at all. You also have a mini-map, which is a big deal reducing the amount of useless communication that you would have to do otherwise.

Generally, detaching cosmetic rewards from ranked wins should reduce the frustration. It is an extra layer of failure if you cannot qualify for them.

The game's mechanical/balance issues wore me down more than the communtiy but yeah the community doesn't help at all. A lot of quitters, angry people or just plain poor sports. You can't mess up on the game. People think that comp score is everything.

The community problems are not nearly as bad if you just ignore competitive and pick quick play but for me Quick play can only be so fun for so long. People just want to dick around, which is fun in it's own way, but it can get old. You end up missing the intensity. I play it infrequently when my friends ask me to and take long breaks in between. This used to be my go to game after a long day so it's kind of sad. I still love the characters but that's about all I do love when it comes to the game now, lol.

Nimby

Banned
Overwatch as a game is great or terrible depending on your team composition and team coordination. A mistake as seemingly small as "dying late on point A of Anubis as defense" can lead to the attacking team swarming point B with Lucio speed boost and winning based solely on number advantage. Kills can't be secured reliably without support, therefore lone wolfing around as a DPS will greatly disadvantage your team. You have players who want to play optimally, the way the game was designed and switch heroes to better benefit the team, and then you have players who want to prioritize personal enjoyment and play whatever they choose. Neither way is wrong, but the ideologies clash in the competitive mode. There is also no clear way to determine who or what is causing your team to lose because the game lacks a leaderboard and instead gives a vague indicator that a player is doing what the hero was designed to do (being on fire), but not what is optimal or actually beneficial to the team. When an "optimal player" doesn't know what the issue is, the grasp onto whatever they perceive to be the weakest link, usually dictated by what is meta or not, without actually knowing that their off-meta teammate actually has gold in eliminations and damage. Then they're situations where you know a second tank will help push your team to victory, but not one of your three DPS players wants to switch.

Overwatch, at first glance, looks like a game that is accepting to everyone and makes friendships. BUT YOU WERE WRONG, it was made so Jeff could sit back and watch people bitch at each other.

Edit: Complimentary video

BlastCore

Banned
PUBG kinda started toxic. It'll be a miracle if you start a game without 50 people calling you the N word at the top of their lungs

Acorn

Tons of online games started off as dens of shit tbh. See the early 360/ps3 era. Fifa starts off full of cunts every year.

poodaddy

SFV's community isn't even a quarter as toxic as Overwatch's. I mean I have posted before about how I definitely don't think that highly of the FGC in general most of the time, but at least fighting games have probably the most inclusive communities on the planet in general and the most accepting of differences, be they cultural, racial, or sexual. Plus at least a lot of FGC commentators and influencers are genuinely talented, funny, caring, and charismatic folks; Overwatch's community is just personified vitriol.

Won

I uninstalled all my Blizzard stuff this weekend after basically 2 weekends of poor crap with HotS. (Bailed out of Overwatch many moons ago.)

It is basically built in into their games. With how they think "teamwork" is supposed to work and designed and the lack of QoL elements that surrounds their games. And I just don't spent enough time with games anymore to put up with that crap

That said I still attribute most of ot to the death of "communites" in favor of the convinience of matchmaking and the money of the service models.

That person is 100% right. If I'm playing competitive and someone doesn't have a mic it instantly tilts me.

This is the exact reason Overwatch has these community issues. The game is based around working with other people and teamwork. But the reality is most people are just shit individuals or shit at being a team player.

It's a shame because Overwatch is really fun when it all comes together. Some of the most fun I had with the game involved a team of randoms coming up with strats on the fly and working together with people I'd just met online. Had plenty of fun and met some cool people through Overwatch but those experiences became increasingly rare around season 4/5

It is not a good argument to suggest that paying allows you to pick random heroes and do wall-painting. If someone paid for the car they cannot drive the way they enjoy themselves because it is not good for the community.

Not even what I’m arguing.

If you want me to use the same comparison:
People should obviously follow the rules of the road. But they can and should be allowed to choose the make of car they’re gonna drive. They’re the ones driving it.

Don’t agree? You’re free to play something else.

JordanKZ

I've put just under 300 hours into Overwatch, and it's hard to disagree. Comp is full of some of the most awful people.

I've seen Overwatch described as a selfless game played by the most selfish players. Doubling picking snipers, no tanks, no healers... Pretty much becomes standard in most games.

Hyun Sai

PUBG kinda started toxic. It'll be a miracle if you start a game without 50 people calling you the N word at the top of their lungs

The avantage of those battle royale games is that you can play solo without having to face premade teams.

I wanted to ask that question though : apart those games, what are the MP games with a "mercenary" or "lone wolf" playlists where you can't enter the game as a party ?

I always found shitty the fact that premade team were matchmade with solo players, but perhaps it's just me.

I play online a lot. I get the usual trash talk on COD when I do well, the occasional kys on Rocket League, but perhaps because those matches are a lot shorter with shorter queues and all it hurts less. I usually can't play more than 2 or 3 matches of OW without feeling annoyed and quit. Too bad because the game can be pretty awesome with the right people, and it was when I bought it and was playing against randoms. When the game started giving me people of my strength, tryharding, namecalling, ragequitting, etc. became the norm.

The shit I hear about the community is the reason I never touched competitive. I just had fun messing around on quickplay and arcade and got my fill of the game. Haven't touched it in months.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
eh i just stick to quick play and it has been fine. no desire to go into competitive.

if anyone does say something it just goes over my head. the game is fun to play and i'm happy with it.

Not even what I’m arguing.

If you want me to use the same comparison:
People should obviously follow the rules of the road. But they can and should be allowed to choose the make of car they’re gonna drive. They’re the ones driving it.

Don’t agree? You’re free to play something else.

Your argument wasn't about the choice of the hero, you suggested that players can do whatever the fuck they want as long as they enjoy themselves:

They paid for the game, they can choose what how they wanna play/enjoy themselves

AlexBasch

Come play Siege, we'll treat you right :p
Joke post? :p

At least in XB1 I have been insulted and treated far, far worse by the people in casual multiplayer compared to Overwatch. Perhaps it's different in other platforms but oh boy, XB1 is something else in my experience.

Yeah, it’s terrible. I enjoyed it for a little while at launch and then stopped. I just don’t need that type of stress in my life.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
There is so many threads about games with a toxic community, nothing against them at all. Its a shame but i think the only games I know with a decent friendly community is the Guild Wars games and Elder Scrolls online, although im sure theres more that i dont play. What people often overlook is humanity overall is pretty toxic so it will always rub off onto gaming or anything pretty much. There are a few diamonds among the dirt though, so never give up.

patapuf

Granted, i've never been over high golds but the community didn't seem any more toxic than your average popular MP game.

Though i guess you could argue that solo queing isn't any fun when your team doesn't cooperate. More so than in say, CS.

I have about 1000 hours of DoTA2 and less than 1/3 of that in Overwatch and I can tell you, from the bottom of my heart, that OW is substantially worse by a whole dang lot and I have absolutely no idea why. My guess it's that it's a more popular and crowded game (even though Dota is free??) full of people who think they can play and will constantly rub that on your face, while doing absolutely nothing.

I think a lot of the problem is also that the game itself is very frustrating. Aside from terrible terrible balancing, you can't carry your team on the back like DoTA (or CS), but you also can't have fun doing good plays like in TF2 because the maps aren't as big. It's just a very streamlined, very focused team game in which it's impossible to play well without some miraculous synergy.

how do any of you play multiplayer at all if overwatch is/was your toxicity limit lol

you don't understand, something's different in there I swear by god. Everyone that I know who plays it for a substantial time feels exactly the same

Your argument wasn't about the choice of the hero, you suggested that players can do whatever the fuck they want as long as they enjoy themselves:

I can see where you’d see that. Guess I didn’t word it right, so there’s been a misunderstanding.

I was referring to the fact that most players bully others’ character choices because of meta/whatever even when those picking off-meta heroes are playing the objective like everyone else. I wasn’t excusing people literally throwing the match/dancing in the corner/shooting the wall/whatever. Excuse my wording.

how do any of you play multiplayer at all if overwatch is/was your toxicity limit lol

Because Overwatch is best with teamwork and communication, IMO anyway

But I seem to be in the minority on that since Blizzard segregate groups within the teams on Overwatch anyway. The community obviously prefers to play on their own separate to the full 6 player team

Tapejara

For some reason, I thought quickplay was a stress-free version of Overwatch. Quickly, as a Mei/Mercy player who uses no mic, I realized that I was wrong.

Still don't care, I heal people I use my wall to block Bastion and keep enemy out of our point or the back of the payload. People get angry at me and yell me names (I rarely get called beaner but all the other slurs you can think of, weird) in the voice chat.

I just keep playing, can't even feel sorry for people like that. I would agree with people being mad at me for daring to play Competitive alone and without a mic, but in quickplay, I believe that you can do whatever the hell you want, and in my case, I try to keep people healed up or taking them down with McCree.

The unexpected toxicity during during Overwatch quickly play continues to astound me. Like when the last person picks DPS even though we clearly have no healers and then proceeds to get mad and cuss out the team when no one heals them. Like, if you were the last person did you pick DPS because you expected someone else to switch?

Lately whenever I play QP I just turn voice chat off and put on a podcast. Much better way to play imo.

Banzai

I've stopped playing as well and now my gaming sessions feel so much more relaxed. No more leavers, I-need-healing spamming hanzo mains or dps instalockers. So good.

I play CS:GO now. I've heard bad things about its community as well but so far it's been a dream (I'm in Silver Elite). Leavers are replaced by bots that can be controlled when you die, your own performance matters so much that 1v5s are definitely winnable and eventually I can move into a prime queue that should reduce the number of smurfs. I'm loving it.

Piers

Umm someone has never played DoTA or LoL... every newbie goes from excited to disgusted in 10 seconds
This. I know in Dota2 that one or two players having a bad start really could mean the match gets thrown for the entire game due to extra gold/exp payout from player kills.

That entire factor there means a lot of players get reported for “feeding” extra gold and exp to competitors. The problem comes when the line blurs heavily between those who are trolling or players having a bad day (poor play/facing very skilled player)

Hylian7

I really hope PU/Bluehole addresses that shit at some point. It's been a thing that has plagued the waiting rooms in the genre for years. They have rules against racism but they really don't do anything about it, and should implement ways to actually catch and do something.

For now, I just mute all (Ctrl+T) in the waiting room and plane, then unmute (Ctrl+T again) once I jump out. The reason I unmute is in case there is an enemy with open mic or using proximity chat to talk to their buddies.

Top Bottom