• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony fixed the peeling problem with the Dualshock 4?

I find these work really well. Just some covers to put over them.
m3prjvsfissxsbxqb7yftlg.jpg

I have these and they are the best $5 I have ever spent.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, those links were more of a guiding light, I just linked the first page that came up for each search term. I can't speak for the quality from those specific 3rd-parties that I linked.

Tbh they all look the same. I over paid for mine, was like $15 for 4 X1 sticks. And they look identical to the ones linked. Honestly, I'm pretty sure all of these are more tha fine. I haven't taken apart my X1 controller, but I compared my DS4 and X1 closely w/ a light. Same pattern/seams/markings. Same feel.

I can't imagine the X1 ones are like anymore higher quality, pretty sure all of these are pretty 1:1. which is all the more sad that the DS4 rubber quality was that poor. I know a lot of people didn't have the same issues. But I still prefer the material used for the X1 joysticks. I again doubt they are that much higher quality or cost more. They just chose material that grips better and has less room for batch issues due to the kind of surface material.

Anyways, thanks for linking. I know that will really help people out. :)

The other "Dualshock4 is garbage" thread (or one of many really...) inspired me to finally go ahead with the XB1 stick mod as I had a spare XB1 controller, lol:

HKRP3tN.jpg

Once I figured everything out, wasn't too bad.

Still deciding if I want to keep them in or not as having higher sticks does screw with the intended ergonomics of the controller. It's why I couldn't handle KontrolFreeks (even CQCs)
I can say for sure tho that official OEM XB1 sticks REALLY do perfectly fit on the DS4's analog shafts (O___o)

The other "Dualshock4 is garbage" thread (or one of many really...) inspired me to finally go ahead with the XB1 stick mod as I had a spare XB1 controller, lol:

HKRP3tN.jpg

Still deciding if I want to keep them in or not as having higher sticks does screw with the intended ergonomics of the controller. It's why I couldn't handle KontrolFreeks (even CQCs)
I can say for sure tho that official OEM XB1 sticks REALLY do perfectly fit on the DS4's analog shafts (O___o)
How do you mean?

fedexpeon

Banned
Who knows.
I got 2 launch controllers, and 2 additional one after a few months later.
They have no peeling issues after 2yrs.

DrRussian

I have two controllers from about 6 months or so after release and neither of them are having any problems. I might put xbox sticks on them just because i like them more.

rokkerkory

Hoping by the time I get PS4 that this will be fixed. It's kinda weird coming from the awesome PS2 / 3 controllers.

Acorn

My thumbsticks from the DS4/PS4 I bought in September last year are fine after a ton of play.

Speaking of peeling though, the serial label on the back of the controller became dislodged, leaving behind an incredibly sticky residue which i needed to remove with alcohol because it was getting all over the damn thing.
That happened to me aswell, too much adhesive on the label.

Good to know they have fixed the issue because I need to buy a Dual Shock 4 and keep one in the car so that I can remote play on the Xperia Z3 anytime.

Kudo

I have white controller that came with the console and bought black one afterwards, neither have the problem.
I'd assume it's been fixed, but I might just have good luck.

JTran2003

My ds4 that came with the console started peeling beginning of this year. Bought the console in December the year it came out. Got the white controller when destiny released and have no problems. Actually prefer the feel of the newer style as well.

TriAceJP

My sticks were fine but I went Camp XBO Sticks due to preference. It's an easy mod, you should give it a go.

good luck cleaning your blood out of the DS4
It's anodized aluminium bro, that shit washes straight off! lol

In all seriousness though it's really easy to clean pizza grease and Doritos residue off, unlike with rubber.

How do they feel? Been thinking of doing the same.
They feel great, there's very slight beveling around the outer ring of the stick to make it textured and grippy so your thumbs never slip off.

no i'm talking about cleaning the blood that runs down the sticks and INTO the controller.
Do you bleed a lot into the controller when you're playing games? I think you might be doing it wrong lol

aren't these uncomfortable tho?
I find them more comfortable than the rubber because my thumbs don't slide continuously across the top. I have 3 PS4 controllers, one with aluminium sticks and two with the standard rubber, and I much prefer the aluminium.

Yoday

There wouldn't happen to be any slightly different packaging identifier or lot #s (even though most controllers I see are behind cases/locked to security racks) for newer controllers would there?

Waiting on the Steam controller feedback, but if I could definitively spot a newer DS4 I might grab it on impulse.
No, but the newer revision started entering the market almost a year ago. The chances of there being any of the older controllers left on store shelves are pretty slim. You will know right away if you have the newer sticks, as the material uses is much harder than the original rubber. The new ones still wear down if you are tough on analog sticks, but they won't peel unless you are a beast when playing or use your fingernails.

lord pie

I had the peeling issue with both my original controllers.

Bought xb1 replacement sticks of Amazon. All was great for a while, but eventually they also started falling apart (hot weather seemed to make it worse?). The bigger issue I didn't realize was internally the plastic of one of the xb1 sticks was rubbing, creating a fine dust that eventually got into the mechanism of one that stick - damaging it so it wouldn't correctly register movement.

Combine this with it being *very* easy to damage the triggers when opening the case (little plastic protrusion that holds the spring) I eventually had two broken controllers. I Frankensteined up one with spares from the dust damaged controller, and that worked ok. Unfortunately I somehow (no idea how) managed to short that once out while trying to improve the broken trigger later on.

Long story short I now have a white controller.

I'd think aluminum would be really uncomfortable. It's the first time I've ever seen anyone use such sticks.

It'd be cool to try them for a few hours, though.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I have these and they are the best $5 I have ever spent.

Ditto. The cross mark/concave covers are what I use, and the increased surface area is very comfortable.

For those who replaced the sticks with xb1 sticks, aren't the pads a bit small? I just removed my covers to check if the default sticks were as tiny as I recalled and they're even smaller than I remembered. People say that the xb1 sticks have an even smaller surface which I can't imagine enjoying. Do most people have small enough thumbs that it doesn't seem small to them?

I'd think aluminum would be really uncomfortable. It's the first time I've ever seen anyone use such sticks.

It'd be cool to try them for a few hours, though.
They're not, and they're dirt cheap on eBay if you want to give them a try. I got mine after hearing some other gaffers recommend them and they were as good as advertised :)

Hydrargyrus

I did a mod with the Xbone sticks and a 2000mah battery. It was pretty easy to do and the improvement is fantastic.

The sticks are higher and the part where you put your thumbs is smaller, but the grip is better. I would not choose one from another, because the DS4 sticks are more comfortable to me, but have other drawbacks.
I would say that, if you have not problems with the DS4 sticks, keep them. If not and you know how to change them, is easy to do.

But the battery change is a mandatory. It go from 4h to 6-7h and is the easiest part to change.

Dawg

Don't have this issue but I did have to replace 2 controllers because of sticky R1 buttons. Even tried cleaning the inside.

I feel super lucky. I use my PS4 nearly every day and my launch DS4s are still pristine and working flawlessly.

Still waiting for them to start to fail in some way.

RedAssedApe

Banned

HKRP3tN.jpg

same here. i have a set of KF alphas which are even shorter than the CQCs. also...the alphas seemed to squish the rubber and may damage your sticks if you remove them too often.

III-V

I have 2 launch controllers, one is completely dead, the other has a sticky trigger that developed after 8 months or so. I recently bought a new one, and it has a sticky trigger, I am kinda pissed.

Teletraan1

Banned
I have a launch pad
mcquack
with perfect sticks. I also have 2 other DS4s purchased during last years black friday sale with perfect sticks. I dont know what people are doing to these sticks or how cheap/poorly built some of them are but mine are mint. Not denying its a problem because it seems to be a widespread issue but how did I avoid any issues other than shit battery for the DS4? My shit usually breaks. Whenever I buy something it is broken out of the box like 90% of the time.

I dont know what people are doing to these sticks or how cheap/poorly built some of them are but mine are mint.
I've never had a stick problem with any of my PS2 or PS3 controllers despite years of constant use. My launch PS4 controller had a peeling stick after about 2 months. It's not how people were using them, it was a clear design flaw in terms of construction/materials.

Aluminium replacement sticks did the trick for me, and I much prefer them to rubber now :)

Top Bottom