• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has VR stalled ?

DSN2K

Has the Hype around it fallen off a cliff ? People are far more interested in 4K & HDR it seems to me and the cost hasn't come down enough for casuals to get involved.I know from personal experience how great High quality VR is but it's not in the frame for the average gamer the industry needs for VR to progress.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
PSVR is trucking along nicely even if it hasn't set the world on fire but I don't think it ever was. Still its a great foundation and now has some really good games available like Resident Evil 7. I don't fully expect VR to take off on a larger scale until the PS5 and X2 where the hardware and software is both stronger and more matured.

Peltz

I has stalled for me personally. It's just too inconvenient to pull out my headset and put it on to play. I like being aware of my surroundings and don't value immersion these days as much as I once did.

Maybe Dreams can bring me back.

pvpness

Most of the people I know are waiting it out. Not enough games to get them to pull the trigger right now. Vive V2 looks to be the one.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm still waiting to see what Galaxy S8, HTC 11 (Vive phone?) or Apple 8 are going to do, but it seems like nothing. If that's the case then yeah I don't see this particular VR wave get past the Trough of Disillusionment either. For consumers at least. Will have to wait till AR becomes feasible for productivity before we can revisit it. That said, I'm happy it's at least out there and affordable. As a scientist I used to have to collaborate with the military to get real VR experiments going, now my students and me can tinker with it ourselves easily.

grtkbrandon

Neo Member
The problem seems to be that no developer wants to create a good game until the user base is there. But how are you going to convince users to throw down so much cash on something with nothing substantial to play?

Valve helped pioneer storytelling and physics in 3D space with Half-Life. I've always held out hope they'd be the ones to figure out VR.

bluexy

Rock Band VR launched today for the Rift, Robo Recall released not so long ago and had a pretty amazing critical reception, and there's a lot of hype for Arktika.1, Lone Echo, and Wilson's Heart later this year. Also, still seems to be a lot of hype for Fallout VR.

Just speaking as someone who has had a Rift since launch, I'm more excited for the upcoming software launches than anything at launch. So I wouldn't say VR has stalled. Probably worth checking in again after E3 or during the holiday season.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The problem seems to be that no developer wants to create a good game until the user base is there. But how are you going to convince users to throw down so much cash on something with nothing substantial to play?

Valve helped pioneer storytelling and physics in 3D space with Half-Life. I've always held out hope they'd be the ones to figure out VR.

imo, VR is going to start for realsies with valve's efforts.

Arulan

There are new good-looking games coming out all the time, there continues to be new hardware manufacturers entering the VR industry pretty frequently, and it's clear that developers are interested in making VR games.

While GAF largely revolves around mainstream products that live or die by their initial launch, VR has a long way to go before the mainstream is vital.

gdc_state_of_the_gameh7qns.png

Ferrio

Banned
I haven't taken out my for myself Vive in a while, but I still have a ton of backlogged games I want to play. The start of this year with all the great traditional games has blindsided me, so I'm waiting for decent drought to dig back into my VR collection. I did have a family visiting the other day that tried it out though, they were glued to Super Hot VR.

Robot Recall just came out too on Oculus, so I'm hoping to get my hands on that through Revive.

Rbk_3

I personally have never seen it as more than a gimmick. I tried it at an arcade and it wasn't for me.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I think progress is still happening, but things are relatively quiet. Price drops would help, but I think the big turning point will be when a headset with eye tracking for foveated rendering is available on a console - getting massively better quality / framerate from the same GPU will be hard to ignore. On the PC side, the improved efficiency would lower the bar for PC requirements quite a bit and help grow that market.

Lomax

The idea that VR would suddenly be mainstream in 2016 was always laughable. But it's not like hype has shifted to HDR or 4k, neither of those has any real mainstream traction. If you mean in enthusiast circles, I'd say VR is pretty widespread at this point.

''ps3 has no games''
''ps4 has no games''
all over again.

It will be a period that comments like ''VR is a beast'' will replace the above.

Νeogaf.gif

iswasdoes

There are new good-looking games coming out all the time, there continues to be new hardware manufacturers entering the VR industry pretty frequently, and it's clear that developers are interested in making VR games.

While GAF largely revolves around mainstream products that live or die by their initial launch, VR has a long way to go before the mainstream is vital.

gdc_state_of_the_gameh7qns.png

Great chart, am using that.

VR healthier than xbox....

inner-G

Banned
I haven't jumped in yet.

Too many options that don't work together. (I have a 1080 and a PS4 Pro. I honestly don't know what would be better to get)

A lot of the software looks lame. I like the Google Earth thing I saw, I'd like more 'experiences' than regular games with VR support.

This Simpsons clip captures it well: https://youtu.be/l1_bp8YKUPU

Mooreberg

At some point, development is going to have to consolidate around units that are selling. The exclusivity stuff is dumb as hell, and Sony shares the blame in that with RE7. Otherwise, you get an endless parade of overpriced software that needs to make it's money on a smaller pool of customers.

I think it's just taken a backseat to Q1's stacked line up for me, which isn't a bad thing. It won't replace traditional gaming but will complement it.

Still waiting on GT Sport and Ace Combat, Farpoint if it's good.
A Psychonauts VR game just came out. RE7 was a dream to play.

For PSVR at E3 I wonder if we'll get some announcements; THE dream announcement would be Rez 2. I need it.

Peltz

I'd love to see Nintendo jump on to try and get VR more mainstream. Not with the Switch, and not any time soon, but rather with a separate device later on down the line or next generation.

w0s

RE7 was pretty awesome. I need to grab the ghostbusters game. There was a fair amount of VR at pax east as well. Some people there mentioned to me it had a much larger footprint there then in past years.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm gonna buy the next iteration of Vive. It's cool tech but I don't really see a reason to spend all that money right now.

We need cheaper headsets like yesterday. We need wireless VR headsets ASAP. And more people need VR capable PCs.

I'm personally chomping at the bit to upgrade my PC so I can get back to my Vive. My 780ti just wasn't cutting it anymore for the more intense VR experiences.

YuShtink

Oculus's upcoming software line-up is still looking pretty nice imo. Robo Recall is brand new and awesome. Fallout 4 VR will be cool. It's a slow burn for high quality software though. I still demo my Rift and Vive to people quite a bit and they all have a blast. People are coming over tomorrow night in fact.

Raven117

THE game has yet to come out as a must play on VR.

So far, the games have only hit the "yeah, its cool" level.

The day something like Skyrim or something to that effect comes out for VR, is the day VR arrives.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

The day something like Skyrim or something to that effect comes out for VR, is the day VR arrives.

hope the 3 valve vr games are those games

UCBooties

I grabbed a PSVR at launch but haven't done much with it. I'm hopeful for Ace Combat 7 but there doesn't seem to be much push for larger AAA style games for the platform. Things may be better on PC but it's going to be a few years until I can consider getting a Vive or whatever is out at that point. I'm still hoping for a big space combat/trading game like Elite: Dangerous to get announced for PSVR, which is ironic since Elite: Dangerous is coming to the PS4 but will almost certainly be too demanding for PSVR support.

I'm gonna buy the next iteration of Vive. It's cool tech but I don't really see a reason to spend all that money right now.

This is where I'm at right now. Would love to give it a try but I'd rather wait for the next generation of headsets so I can either get a superior image display with the next Vive iteration or a more affordable headset like the MS-licenced ones.

collige

Banned

Good thing we have Fallout coming then.

NandoGip

im still interested but the prices are too high. PS4 + VR + Games = too much, Top tier PC + VR = too much.

I don't think it's stalled at all, it's still an early industry. Give it another 3 years I think.

Tain

Nah, the software's still coming along, and when the software is solid the technology still offers are far more engaging experience than a traditional display could.

Anecdotally, I know less people excited about HDR than VR.

Even ignoring that Fallout is coming, I've already played a bunch of VR games that are far better than any Bethesda games.

Depends what your expectations were. If you expected VR to be a game changer in the current generation it certainly isn't going to do that.

Branson

I just got a Rift and the amount of games I want to play on it is a bit staggering. I play cockpit games like iRacing and stuff like that so maybe I'm in the minority. Robo Recall is fucking awesome though.

Top Bottom