• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has VR stalled ?

Chabbles

I payed $80 USD for Bubble Bobble in the early 90s. At the time gaming was an expensive niche market. A naysayer in this thread should've let Nintendo and Sega know that it was never going to be accepted and only a fad.

VR isn't going anywhere. It has plenty of upside and plenty of low hanging fruit for improvement. You'll see resolution, display, size, ergonomics improvements relatively quickly. Display manufacturers (Like Samsung) will start leveraging VR intended displays instead of repurposed mobile displays and of course sell them to everyone.

Then you got ripped the fuck off. Bubble bobble was like the equivalent of 5 euro, new. (well between 5 and 10)

Then you got ripped the fuck off. Bubble bobble was like the equivalent of 5 euro, new. (well between 5 and 10)

He's probably talking Master System, possibly import? You're talking ZX Spectrum or something I presume because console games weren't that price in the 90s.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Either you're completely full of shit or you don't realize that he's talking about an NES cartridge. The BOM would have been more than that.

No, VR has not stalled. Sorry to say but GAF is not the place to be to really talk about VR since it seems most here shit on VR so of course to members here VR seems stalled. You have to go to places like https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/ amongst others to see that VR while a niche community thus far is quite active and thriving. Commercial VR has not even been out for a full year yet and GAF is already pronouncing it dead, lol. Everyone in the high end VR game knew that the first few years would be lean, VR is not going anywhere.

It has been said before, until you try VR you will just not understand and will continue to shit on it. My roommate and friend thought i was slightly crazy for being one of the first to purchase and receive my Vive last year but she kept her misgivings to herself for the most part. Very first day i had my Vive set up, i put her in The Blu experience and she was blown away within minutes and said right away that it was worth the 800 dollars and she hates tech stuff like this in general. So if the Vive can convert her into a believer i truly believe that VR will once the price comes down be a huge hit just like consoles we're back in the day.

As for me? After a year i still find myself wildly happy with my Vive and every new game i try still makes me OOOH and AHHHH and scream in a good way from the experience. I had to nope out of Paranormal Activity: The lost Soul after only 25 minutes because my brain genuinely was believing things a little to much and that was awesome.

Halabane

No, VR has not stalled. Sorry to say but GAF is not the place to be to really talk about VR since it seems most here shit on VR so of course to members here VR seems stalled. You have to go to places like https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/ amongst others to see that VR while a niche community thus far is quite active and thriving. Commercial VR has not even been out for a full year yet and GAF is already pronouncing it dead, lol. Everyone in the high end VR game knew that the first few years would be lean, VR is not going anywhere..

Not just GAF :
http://fortune.com/2017/02/19/virtual-reality-vr-sales/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/08/...sea-hamper-sales-of-virtual-reality-gear.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603208/behind-the-numbers-of-virtual-realitys-sluggish-debut/

Most of us know its going to take a long time to adopt. But the current state of content is just not compelling. Some neat tech demoes. We are waiting for that set of games that makes us willing to invest in it. Its like a new console that has a very limited library...no one wants to get stuck with a bunch of expensive tech sitting in the closet. The thing that gets people (okay me) talking s*** about it is because of the over hype and sales pitches we get. For some (okay me again) the expectations are actually greater than the experience, so they get disappointed (I was not impressed in my several demoes). As you said its a niche community, just above developer kits at this point. Enjoy your time in the near future! I once had a bag phone (and people thought I was crazy, well ... never mind)!

I will wait for content that makes me want to buy it. Haven't seen it yet. Probably won't be a game (I think cost is going to be an issue in building to what I would want) but more in tourism or telepresence for things like meetings and sporting events. But who knows. E3 should be interesting...or telling about the VR gaming industry (there are many more uses for VR than gaming).

For me, I would prefer holo lens. So my wait is even longer. Seriously looking at that $3k developer kit. Do I really need to eat?

Not just GAF :

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/08/...sea-hamper-sales-of-virtual-reality-gear.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603208/behind-the-numbers-of-virtual-realitys-sluggish-debut/

Most of us know its going to take a long time to adopt. But the current state of content is just not compelling. Some neat tech demoes. We are waiting for that set of games that makes us willing to invest in it. Its like a new console that has a very limited library...no one wants to get stuck with a bunch of expensive tech sitting in the closet. The thing that gets people (okay me) talking s*** about it is because of the over hype and sales pitches we get. For some (okay me again) the expectations are actually greater than the experience, so they get disappointed (I was not impressed in my several demoes). As you said its a niche community, just above developer kits at this point. Enjoy your time in the near future! I once had a bag phone (and people thought I was crazy, well ... never mind)!

I will wait for content that makes me want to buy it. Haven't seen it yet. Probably won't be a game (I think cost is going to be an issue in building to what I would want) but more in tourism or telepresence for things like meetings and sporting events. But who knows. E3 should be interesting...or telling about the VR gaming industry (there are many more uses for VR than gaming).

For me, I would prefer holo lens. So my wait is even longer. Seriously looking at that $3k developer kit. Do I really need to eat?

Again, if you ever paid attention to VR all of the big players... Valve, HTC, Facebook and even Sony said a long time ago that VR basically is facing an up hill climb and that they we're seriously tempering their expectations on sales of the hardware the first few years, this is nothing new. Valve and HTC have already come out and said just a month ago that they are happy with where VR sales are currently, so sorry if i do not take the NY times and Fortune's opinion seriously.

Secondly, if you think that there are no games worthy of being called an actual game and just glorified tech demos then you are dead wrong. I can list many games that are not tech demos. The Gallery: Call of the Starseed and it's second episode Heart of the Emberstone coming out this spring, Space Pirate Trainer, Arizona Sunshine, Audioshield, Fantastic Contraption, Rec Room, Tilt Brush, Vanishing Realms, Paranormal Activity: The lost Soul, etc... and you know what a lot of the games out there that are still rough around the edges can be and are a lot of fun in their current state regardless. And i am not even listing all the other games that are still coming out in 2017 that have been worked on for years at this point and possibly even from Valve.

12Dannu123

Not just GAF :

If you want a Hololens. Get those VR headsets MS OEMs are making, the navigation and everything is basically the same. The only thing different is that you're in a VR house and you use the Xbox controller to select things

dukeoflegs

I believe it has stalled. Why, because the VR company I work for closed down two studios after they couldn't find funding where as last year they had numerous funders lining up.
Yes, that is a small sample size, but the number of people I've made connections with at other VR companies are seeing the same thing. Funding has dried up because the amount you put in doesn't pay in return.

qko

Better question is if it's worth the entry point at this moment? VR is only going to get better, but if you are paying $400-$600 today for the current experience vs $400-$600 in five years with better games and The tech only getting better and more cost efficient... the question is whether to jump in now or wait.

cakefoo

I believe it has stalled. Why, because the VR company I work for closed down two studios after they couldn't find funding where as last year they had numerous funders lining up.
Yes, that is a small sample size, but the number of people I've made connections with at other VR companies are seeing the same thing. Funding has dried up because the amount you put in doesn't pay in return.
Victims of Superdata forecasts?

Fredrik

Yup, just going by the mainstream talk and activity in store demos etc it definitely seems like the VR hype has decreased, no doubt, I guess it can pick up again if more AAA games gets released but for now it seems to be a niche market. Glad some of you are still having fun with it though!

cakefoo

Better question is if it's worth the entry point at this moment? VR is only going to get better, but if you are paying $400-$600 today for the current experience vs $400-$600 in five years with better games and The tech only getting better and more cost efficient... the question is whether to jump in now or wait.
It's definitely not worth it to the typical coupon-clipping gamer, but if you find yourself devoting time to reading VR news on a daily basis, you're probably going to find value in witnessing the early days of this tech first hand and inviting friends and family over to try it and watch their jaws drop when they take the headset off and readjust to being in a living room.

sneas78

Banned
I own the Vive and forget about it from time to time, but whenever I do go back it's amazing experience again. However now that I have VR I'm kind of thinking about commercials like the ps9 or something like the holodeck.. etc and thinking how far will VR be in the future. I'm happy with the Vive, but I'm also thing about how VR will change well beyond what it is today. And I hope o will be around to experience. Like a portal into another world.. so just because VR may be stalled .. I don't know.. it's going forward.. might have to wait a long time, to meet people's expectations.. but honestly it's not stalling to me.. its changing.

Jimrpg

It's still not available in my country right now Malaysia, and if I order it to my second home in Australia its $1400 :( At this point, I may as well wait for the second revision.

I think most people are treating it like a console, I know it sounds crazy, but thats what it feels like to me, a very expensive console like the Neo Geo that gives you access to a bunch of "high tech" games. With the Neo Geo, it never came down in price, and went down as a niche product, I hope VR doesn't go down the same path and can be offered at a reasonable price point.

Kabanossi

I've several times almost bought a PSVR but I've decided to check what E3 has to offer. Resident Evil 7 is sure a great VR experience but that's not a game I would normally play so the VR doesn't make it any more interesting to me. Sadly, Ace Combat 7 campaign can't be played in VR but I think the VR tailored missions might be enough to justify a purchase. It's the closest I'll ever get to with my dream to fly a fighter jet.

I hope E3 delivers.

Fredrik

It's still not available in my country right now Malaysia, and if I order it to my second home in Australia its $1400 :( At this point, I may as well wait for the second revision.

I think most people are treating it like a console, I know it sounds crazy, but thats what it feels like to me, a very expensive console like the Neo Geo that gives you access to a bunch of "high tech" games. With the Neo Geo, it never came down in price, and went down as a niche product, I hope VR doesn't go down the same path and can be offered at a reasonable price point.
There is VR on mobile too which is much cheaper, I think it's currently failing because there are no AAA must-have games out, VR needs to be treated as a stand alone platform instead of a secondary platform or just a different control method.

I hope this is not shocking to you in anyway, but there are also lots of titles that doesnt use motion control too. Some dont even use a gamepad or motion control to play (eg Headbutt Factory)

Yeah, I know, those are the games I'm playing now on my psvr.

Kerensky

Banned
The lapse in VR interest and the thinning in the lineup of games that can truly be called 'innovative' may suggest that the industry as a whole is contracting.

Are we looking at a second gaming bubble popping?

VR was always DOA for the games industry. The gaming applications are simply too limited. Not enough quality and proven concepts with diversity to back them up. It will go the way of 3DTVs for gaming. It will have more potential in social media and other forms of entertainment apps, but gaming is limited application pipedream. Even if someone comes with that one awesome game, the concept will be a very specific limited use case that won't translate to other types of games that are becoming more and more popular.

12Dannu123

They probably will.

That's the problem. Going standalone HMD is meaning creating an OS for standalone VR headsets. That's not how SteamVR works. It's an application that displays a VR UI inside an OS that isn't theirs.

TBH. Oculus was smart going to Samsung for Gear VR. As it allowed them to establish an OS and a ecosystem for standalone VR for Santa Cruz.

It's too late for Valve to start an ecosystem from scratch for an standalone VR with inside out tracking.

If you were always hyped about VR and finally having that experience in your own 4 walls + you can take the financial hit without feeling bad about it, then there is no better time than right now and there will be no better time in the future to be part of this group, the early VR test group, so to speak.

There is something very unique about being part of the experiments and early tries of developers trying their hand in VR software development, even if you are only the one trying their stuff and not partaking in the development.

These times will not come back and when they are gone then you will either only have the end result of that process, the market friendly approach of a refined system with standardized hardware and game systems, or you will have nothing if it goes into hybernation again (which I seriously doubt will happen)

If you are only a simple triple A gamer or can't take the financial hit, then stay away from VR!

I'm very happy to experience all this right now, it's up there with the 3d revolution of the 32bit era and surpasses it in other regards I didn't even know existed (VR fitness is a thing for example) But it is not for everyone right now and specially not for many people posting on this board.

cakefoo

VR was always DOA for the games industry. The gaming applications are simply too limited. Not enough quality and proven concepts with diversity to back them up. It will go the way of 3DTVs for gaming. It will have more potential in social media and other forms of entertainment apps, but gaming is limited application pipedream. Even if someone comes with that one awesome game, the concept will be a very specific limited use case that won't translate to other types of games that are becoming more and more popular.
Huh? With trackpad locomotion, most first person games are possible in VR. There's tons of software that VR will enhance in the future once the market is a little bigger. Until then we'll see a few AAA games thanks to up-front investments in good faith.

People are currently enjoying games like RE7, Serious Sam, Robinson, Obduction, iRacing, Paranormal Activity, Robo Recall, as well as creative and social apps. Don't forget all the genres only possible in VR, like music/DJ'ing apps, sim-like games, puzzlers, physics stuff, etc. There's loads of stuff to explore in these early days. Software refinement will come in time.

The LG headset coming out next year (most likely) will be the first headset to use display tech built specifically for the purpose of VR, as opposed to repurposing cell phone tech like every other VR headset currently on the market. Keep in mind, LG makes TVs, so this puts them in a very unique position.

Innovations that we've yet to see included in a consumer VR product:

• Affordability
  • Wireless
  • Markerless, inside-out tracking - no cameras or lighthouses
  • Foveated rendering - track where your eyes are looking, and only render in detail what is actually in your field of view; boosts performance astronomically, which is key for smooth VR

All 4 of those things are necessary preconditions to the success of the format (IMO, since they're quirks that don't really exist in games right now), but not to its fun factor. It'll take another 2-3 years before we see the first product that incorporates all of it. PSVR really got the ball rolling for this shit by making it somewhat, relatively affordable. Capcom and Codemasters are doing god's work, putting out compelling content that isn't throwaway, between Resident Evil 7 and DiRT Rally.

What's awesome is that it takes 2-5 years to make a AAA title, so to the extent that companies are betting hard on VR (like Sony), some of the best VR games we'll see will get released at around the same time as the technology comes into its own.

VR doesn't have its Super Mario 64 yet, so I think it's a little premature to say it's stalled.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm very happy to experience all this right now, it's up there with the 3d revolution of the 32bit era and surpasses it in other regards I didn't even know existed (VR fitness is a thing for example) But it is not for everyone right now and specially not for many people posting on this board.

This is a good point and why I plan to get in on it later this year. There's a chance this has a major impact, and I want to be involved.

cyress8

Banned
Since they are already demoing ways for wireless VR. I will buy the first one that releases without the need to buy a separate peripheral. I was already going to remove a ceiling fan and install a pulley system but the moment they showed the Vive wireless I decided to wait.

There are plenty of us just waiting in the wings. We just need them to check all the right boxes.

Pakkidis

Its not stalling but until the price comes down dramatically, 200-500$ range it won't be the mainstream success most were calling for a few years back. I have yet to try it and probably won't, vive in canada cost 1200$ :(.

Top Bottom