• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ievan Polkka messes with my head. I can't find the proper rhythm at all. Failed that song even on Normal. It used to be such a nice and easy tutorial track, but as a proper song it's quite a challenge.

ramyeon

Melancholic is my crack. I remember spending so long to perfect that song on hard back on the Vita.

Thought all the Modules would be overwhelming but going through the list and just buying the recommended ones as I play the song is working so far.

Melancholic is my crack. I remember spending so long to perfect that song on hard back on the Vita.

That was the first song I ever got a perfect on. Seeing the grade meter turn rainbow coloured and the gold "perfect" show up was one of the most satisfying things I've experienced in any video game.

Pretty sure the bundle is just a discount, you get the bonus content even if you buy the packs separately.
Great, thanks!

I think I'm gonna go with Colorful Tone. I've only played Project Mirai on 3DS before and there are some songs there I just can't miss. Common World Domination is like drug.

Still sad that Happy Synthesizer is missing in a ~100 song selection

I tried downloading the European version about five hours ago but only the add-ons would download, the main game would always show up an error. has this been fixed?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I tried downloading the European version about five hours ago but only the add-ons would download, the main game would always show up an error. has this been fixed?

Had the same problem yesterday. I was able to download the "main portion" of the game by restarting the download. All the additional data wouldn't download until I started the game, but after that it worked fine.

Everything finished downloading overnight and I've been getting into the groove. This is an absolute joy to play and the sheer volume of content is just staggering. Extreme is kicking my ass since I'm not used to the multi button presses so I'm sticking to Hard while my brain adjusts. Systematic Love and 39 are my current favourite songs.

The auto lag adjustment tool is super wonky. You need to hit all three notes with complete pixel-perfect accuracy for it to give you a setting that isn't complete nonsense, -16 in my case.

Mandelbo

The auto lag adjustment tool is super wonky. You need to hit all three notes with complete pixel-perfect accuracy for it to give you a setting that isn't complete nonsense, -16 in my case.

Yeah, the general consensus is that the lag adjustment in FT is more or less worthless, for reasons that StarCreator can explain better than me:

I honestly feel the lag adjustment in this game is totally useless and would suggest not using it .-. It seems to work by actually changing the audio timing rather than the video timing, meaning it will basically never feel right no matter the situation.

SHarris78

Excited to get home and start the English version despite owning the JP version since launch. Is there a consensus as to whether a DS4 or the DivaX minicon is better - especially if you're not good at the game like me and see most songs on Hard as impossible.

I have a minicon but haven't used it with FT as I'm not sure of the best button setup.

Excited to get home and start the English version despite owning the JP version since launch. Is there a consensus as to whether a DS4 or the DivaX minicon is better - especially if you're not good at the game like me and see most songs on Hard as impossible.

I have a minicon but haven't used it with FT as I'm not sure of the best button setup.

I think part of it depends on whether you see yourself working up to hard and extreme in the future? Personally find the minicon makes songs further up the difficulties a lot easier (like to the extent that there are songs on extreme that I fail with a DS but breeze through on minicon) - so having as much time getting used to the minicon as possible is really useful.

I go with the most arcade-accurate layout possible, the "B" type set here (and mapping the direction inputs to slides instead of button input):

spec_11.jpg

What people might not realize at first (and I didn't until it was pointed out to me) is that the way chords are drawn on screen actually correlates to the physical button positions; when chords are laid out horizontally they usually line up with the buttons perfectly, so if you see a double on the left side of the screen you know it's a triangle + square double. Same for vertical chords, just rotated 90 degrees.

Are the leaderboards region specific or global?

So far they have been region specific.

gibbsy24

Anyone that has input lag problems I recommend trying optical audio out. It completely eliminates mine and if I switch to hdmi it's immediately noticeable.

Chorazin

Is there an idiots guide to what this game is? Does it make all the other Miku games obsolete? Surely not, right?

This series confuses me.

It's a really good rhythm game.

It's got a system that is, while similar, also pretty different than the DIVA series. You might find you like one over the other, or like both. It also cuts out all of the light simulation stuff that is in the old games (but more heavily featured in DIVA X. )

Mandelbo

I suspect that while the minicon is able to replicate the arcade button layout, if you're not gonna be playing on hard or above it's really down to a matter of preference. Speaking as someone who didn't touch anything above easy or normal in the previous games, the DS4 has worked perfectly well for me, but if you've got the minicon there I suppose you may as well use it if you want to!

Is there an idiots guide to what this game is? Does it make all the other Miku games obsolete? Surely not, right?

This series confuses me.

Future Tone is a console port of the Project DIVA Arcade game rather than a sequel to the Project Diva F/X series which originated on consoles, and as such it's more or less a pure rhythm game (which is really really good). While I say it doesn't objectively make the other games obsolete, the game has 224 songs if you buy both song packs, which encompasses the vast majority of songs in the previous DIVA games and a good chunk of the songs from the Project Mirai 3DS game.

It's really, really good value for money. If you want to give it a go, there's a demo up which contains two songs.

Strings

My first Miku game. First impressions?

The music is pretty rad and the mechanics are solid. I'm just overwhelmed by the visual clutter on some tracks. Half-wish you could use the practice mode layout during the real deal (cuts the music video).

Also, hard is actually pretty tough! Extreme is fucking nuts.

Wish they hadn't half-assed the trophy list :(

This series confuses me.

It's a port of the arcade version, which includes every song from the console games (bar Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight, World's End Dancehall's F PV, and Cantarella Grace Edition) as well as most songs from the 3DS games and a good bunch of its own original songs. It plays differently enough from the main series that it doesn't exactly make them obsolete, but once you get into this you'll probably be set for a good long while, Miku-wise.

Omikaru

This game is amazing, but can anyone recommend a good/recommended layout for the shoulder buttons/triggers on DS4? I want to make good use of them but I'm not sure what I should really use.

muteki

I go with the most arcade-accurate layout possible, the "B" type set here (and mapping the direction inputs to slides instead of button input):

What people might not realize at first (and I didn't until it was pointed out to me) is that the way chords are drawn on screen actually correlates to the physical button positions; when chords are laid out horizontally they usually line up with the buttons perfectly, so if you see a double on the left side of the screen you know it's a triangle + square double. Same for vertical chords, just rotated 90 degrees.
Yeah if you are running the arcade layout, the lines that connect multiple notes and their positioning on the screen correlate to the controller layout. So a two note close together is generally two notes next to each other on the controller, a medium length distance is skipping a button, and a long distance is pretty much guaranteed to be Triangle+Circle.

Also, for the triple notes, positioning on the screen is important. If it appears on the left side of the screen, it is almost always Triangle, Square, Cross. If it is on the right, it is almost always Square, Cross, Circle.

I spend most of my time on Hard so there may be more exceptions to the rule on Extreme, but generally speaking I don't really have to analyze what notes are present on the multi notes, I pay more attention to the distance between them/position on the screen.

yyr

It sucks to have to wait, but I won't buy the North American version until I know for certain that the DLC is coming out.

Currently I own both packs on my Japanese account but none of the DLC. If the DLC comes out in NA, I'll buy 100% of it, but if not, I think I'll just buy the DLC for the Japanese version and live without the menu translations.

jzbluz

I skipped DIVA X, so I'm getting the bundle. I'm a bit sad that there's no vita version since that's what I've always gotten, but I understand that the vita couldn't run this.

Mandelbo

I want to get the bundle, but I'm a little tight on money. I might get one of the packs, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

Don't worry too much about getting the song packs separately - you don't need to get the bundle to get the modules and accessories which require both song packs, they just unlock when you own both.

XaosWolf

I know it won't happen but I really want the Project Diva X songs to be added down the line.

Or an export option if you own PDX or something maybe. =(

Demoskinos

I know it won't happen but I really want the Project Diva X songs to be added down the line.

It woudn't be that simple tbh. Not like rockband where they can just plug existing note charts into the frame work of the game. The engine is different and they would also have to re-do the MV's

XaosWolf

Yeah...I want Deep Sea Lily, Brain Revolution Girl and Love Song.

Sea Lily, Love Song <3
Also really want Patchwork Staccato, Raspberry * Monster, Satisfaction and Lost One's Weeping.

It woudn't be that simple tbh. Not like rockband where they can just plug existing note charts into the frame work of the game. The engine is different and they would also have to re-do the MV's

I know... but I can still dream. Maybe if they released them for Arcade too! =D

Demoskinos

Man, $53 for roughly 220 songs with none of the fluff of story mode/Diva Rooms makes me feel like I just committed a crime and stole from SEGA.

Got to play a little and it's really fun! Mapped a comfortable controller layout and I'm playing it on my arcade stick so I gotta get used to that since I usually play these on a pad. Excited to play more after work.

Mandelbo

My dream scenario would be to get those *amazing* medleys in FT, since those were my favourite part of Diva X - especially the Quirky Medley!

Top Bottom