• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

Mandelbo

Oh, gotcha!! Good to hear that! Idea ideas for how to set up slide notes with it? I figure it'll be the sticks but man in my head that's gonna be a nightmare.

The sticks will probably be the best thing to use for slide notes, especially since there are times where you'll need to do two simultaneous slide notes in the same direction, which again will be much harder if you've set them to buttons. Of course, those kinds of notes don't really appear frequently until you start on extreme, but it's still something to bear in mind!

Chorazin

I set mine up so the four buttons across the middle (Left, Right, Square, Circle) are the standard arcade layout, then set the remaining buttons to left swipe (Up, Down) or right swipe (Triangle, Cross).

In general without any macros the mini controller makes hold notes a non-issue. The downside however is rapid repeated notes are harder to do, since you can't alternate like in other Diva games.

Did you use the mincon's built in button reassignment feature to change the Right arrow to the Up arrow, and then match it in the game's settings? Since the PS4 won't register Left and Right as being valid simulatious inputs I figure that'll be necessary.

Sticks are the slide notes.

I used R1 as O, R2 as X, L1 as Square and L2 as triangle to play in extreme. That allows me to hold notes in a more confortable way, though it took me quite a while to get used to this.

Thanks! But we were talking about the setup for the Diva X mini arcade controller, which is a totally different beast to a DualShock 4. :-D

The sticks will probably be the best thing to use for slide notes, especially since there are times where you'll need to do two simultaneous slide notes in the same direction, which again will be much harder if you've set them to buttons. Of course, those kinds of notes don't really appear frequently until you start on extreme, but it's still something to bear in mind!

WHEW that's a relief, I'm more of a Hard mode kind of guy so it doesn't sound like it'll be as rough as I think .

I didn't really mess around with the marco settings, mostly since my play time was probably 50% Normal, 45% Hard and 5% Extreme and I didn't care much about score for songs/medals outside of Normal (fuck the NyanNyan song, only one on Normal I got below a 65% on). I'll mess around with them in more depth after I have free time to play the game when my Yakuza 0 review is finished and up sometime in two weeks.

muteki

Did you use the mincon's built in button reassignment feature to change the Right arrow to the Up arrow, and then match it in the game's settings? Since the PS4 won't register Left and Right as being valid simulatious inputs I figure that'll be necessary.
It has been a while but I believe it was a combination of opening the minicon and swapping the switches around as well as the internal button reassignment. It hasn't been a problem.

Mandelbo

WHEW that's a relief, I'm more of a Hard mode kind of guy so it doesn't sound like it'll be as rough as I think .

Ah, in that case you should be fine then! I never had to rely on macros to do hold notes with my DS4 on hard mode, so you shouldn't have any issues with that on your minicon! It's only really on extreme where you have to start thinking seriously about macros and all that on a DS4 anyway.

Since people are posting their configurations, I guess I'll do mine:

R2 and L2: All buttons
L1: Left+Up
R1: Right+Down
Sticks: Slides

I only have L1 and R1 set like that because of Rolling Girl extreme anyway. Keeping the symbols and D-Pad as they are has served me well.

macklelol

Yeah, macros are far more useful in Extreme, there's hardly any situations where you actually need them on Hard.

My set up while using the Dualshock 4 is:
L1: Triangle + Circle (I literally only use this for Den paradigm)
L2: Triangle
R1: All four face buttons (I mostly use this on Disappearance Extra Extreme)
R2: Circle

I probably need to swap my R1 to Square or X, there are a lot of times where I need one of those two buttons there.

My set-up is just R1 with circle and L1 with triangle (or red arrow and green arrow in my case) and defaulting any holds to those buttons. I'm able to hit mostly everything with ease. Only things I can't really do are hold either X or square and then do a quick succession of any other note, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Kumubou

Would anyone be interested in a stream of some kind on launch? I would not be using the PS4's internal stream tools, so you would actually get game audio with the stream. (I know it's because they couldn't work out the broadcast rights, which can be a real pain in the ass... but it still sucks.)

Excitement building! Does anyone know what time the UK/EU PSN store generally updates?

I'm going to be playing this with an arcade stick as per zedamex's video:

https://youtu.be/z-8My3QNn20?t=5m19s
Given SIEE's history with music games and store updates, giving any sort of time frame would be a mistake.

I actually use that exact setup and it works well. The one issue I have is when you start getting up to 9s and 10s and have to hit the same button rapidly. The arcade cabinet buttons actually have very little travel to them -- it actually felt easier to do something like Two-Sided Lovers EX on the arcade cabinet than it does on this arcade stick setup. Pad players can "cheat" those inputs since they can alternate between the face buttons and the d-pad (but that's kind of necessary since trying to mash that hard, that consistently, and for that long on a controller is.... difficult.)

mollipen

In complete agreement with everything you said, I need to finish my review (being bedridden for the past 4 days + writersblock prior to that hasn't helped). I really need to think of some cons, since for the site I write for (can't name it for reasons) we only do Pros and Cons list at the end instead of scores now. Really just the lack of subtitles for songs now, and maybe the removal of those dumb interactions of the Vocaloids are the only two I can muster.

Subtitles are a shame, but just the reality of how many songs there were that would need translation effort sunk into them. So, I can forgive that. The one complaint I had is that I wish there were more options for what "Hi Speed" means in terms of the notes.

But yeah, I was having a conversation with a few of my coworkers last week, because it was a case of me purposely trying to find things that were wrong about that game—and that's so unusual for me, because I can almost always list them off pretty quick.

Kumubou

The only real negatives I can come up with for Future Tone:

• The control scheme is kind of awkward when adapted to a controller (thank God they saw fit to add button mapping in this version).
  • With the game being an arcade experience, there is very little sense of progression outside of your own skill. Although given their attempts at adding something like that in Project Diva X, I would rather that they don't.
  • Actual humans can get Perfects on 10s, trash game for casual llamas MINUS FIVE STARS/10.
The Diva Room fluff is better off gone, that was just a waste of time (thankfully, you didn't need to bother with it unless you were going for a platinum).

If it wasn't for Yakuza 0 this month id re buy the US version. Hmmm i might just give in though.
If you're on a budget, you can buy half the game now and the other half later.

ramyeon

Just grabbing Future Sound pack for the time being. Too many releases coming up in the next few weeks and I didn't factor this one into my plans as it crept up on me. Will probably get the Colorful Tone pack later on down the line!

OverQ

I actually use that exact setup and it works well. The one issue I have is when you start getting up to 9s and 10s and have to hit the same button rapidly. The arcade cabinet buttons actually have very little travel to them -- it actually felt easier to do something like Two-Sided Lovers EX on the arcade cabinet than it does on this arcade stick setup. Pad players can "cheat" those inputs since they can alternate between the face buttons and the d-pad (but that's kind of necessary since trying to mash that hard, that consistently, and for that long on a controller is.... difficult.)

Glad to hear someone giving this scheme a thumbs up! I'm basically looking to have the most fun possible with this title and although the issue with the 9s/10s sounds frustrating I'll try not to worry about it for now since it will probably be quite a while before I hit those.

I was initially interested in the PDX Mini Controller but it's so expensive now and even seems a little unsuited to this game. I was planning to use the good ol' DS4 until I saw the arcade stick suggestion, it seems like a somewhat authentic experience in lieu of a true FT arcade controller accessory.

I started with the series playing touch controls on Project Mirai 2 before playing with a standard setup on the Vita so it will be fun learning another control scheme for this!

I hope it creeps onto the UK PSN tonight since it's the one I'm stuck with. ;_;

Edit: Yep, there it is. Bought the bundle and it's all downloading right now.

OverQ

I hope it creeps onto the UK PSN tonight since it's the one I'm stuck with. ;_;

Edit: Yep, there it is. Bought the bundle and it's all downloading right now.

£44.99 is amazing value for the amount of content, I wasn't expecting a direct exchange rate from the announced US price. I was close to shelling out more than double this amount for the Japanese version before the announcement of a Western release!

edit - played for about an hour before sleep. Such an amazing polished package and an unreal amount to get through let alone master, this is going to last for years and years!

If you're on a budget, you can buy half the game now and the other half later.

Budget isn't the issue, I'm buying Yakuza 0 twice to show support lol but I just wish I could import my save. Hell I'll buy it again to show some love. I do love music rythim games. And I skipped the last US Miku PS4 game. Yeah that's what I'll tell myself lol.

ChrisD

Read the posts above about it being out. Ran to PS4 to download. Didn't see it. Scrolled down to see the post that said it's not in the US. Wish I read that first. ;-;

Just played it a little bit, already loving it. The most trouble I'm having so far is reading the dual notes, which I guess is just a matter of getting used to.

ramyeon

Just played it a little bit, already loving it. The most trouble I'm having so far is reading the dual notes, which I guess is just a matter of getting used to.
I'm so bad at these, especially when it's four at once.

Holds here seem to be there to trick you up too, totally different to how they were in Project Diva.

Edit: Seriously what is the best way to nail the four at the same time combo? Just smash my hand on that part of the controller? Haha. Maybe it's using the d-pad and the face buttons but that seems like it could be really confusing.

Banned
I'm so bad at these, especially when it's four at once.

Holds here seem to be there to trick you up too, totally different to how they were in Project Diva.

Edit: Seriously what is the best way to nail the four at the same time combo? Just smash my hand on that part of the controller? Haha. Maybe it's using the d-pad and the face buttons but that seems like it could be really confusing.
I have all four set to R2 which helps a lot. If you don't want to map that then holding up + left and circle + x will be the easiest way.

JordanKZ

Might have already been answered, but has anyone established if Japanese saves/DLC work with the Western version? I remember that Diva X did.

Moraizen

Hum... Didn't the Japanese version have a kind of season pass with extra songs? I can't find anything like that on the European version.

Or am I missing something here?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hum... Didn't the Japanese version have a kind of season pass with extra songs? I can't find anything like that on the European version.

Or am I missing something here?

It does. But they haven't officially announced any DLC for the Western version yet (though it's mentioned in the song list), so there's no season pass yet.

I want to know this too

Pretty sure the bundle is just a discount, you get the bonus content even if you buy the packs separately.
I have all four set to R2 which helps a lot. If you don't want to map that then holding up + left and circle + x will be the easiest way.

I did that as well, very helpful. For me it's mostly the doubles, since I'm so used to pressing the same direction for the W-arrows in previous games.

ramyeon

This game is perfect for me. I only played Project Diva F extensively so this is like a best of plus all this new stuff I've never heard before - and I only have one half of it!

Forgot how addictive it is though... always one more song.

Personally I go down + left and triangle + circle. Fits with the thumbs better I think. I should totally map it to R2 though...

I chose Future Sound, Jesus Christ there are a lot of modules. Manage to pass (barely) through most songs on normal, though it's my first Miku game so I guess I've gotta train up for a while, maybe improve my button mapping. I know it's gonna feel so good when I nail my first song on hard.

Top Bottom