• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a game because a hot girl/guy was in it

No that's ridiculous. How can people find fictional cartoon characters attractive ?

By the same mechanisms that allow people to find flashing points of light projected onto a pane of glass attractive, or for that matter colored chemicals liberally splashed onto a bunch of mutilated and reconstituted plant matter.

Unless you're exclusively taking in live sex shows, you probably shouldn't throw stones.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Never have I ever bought a game because I thought a character was hot. So I can safely say the whole "sex sells" mantra has no affect on me, at least in this medium. Movies or TV shows it's a different story.

But attractive characters are a nice bonus after the fact, I guess.

I know I have. I played Muv-Luv Alternative because of Meiya and I played Arcana Heart because of Kamui.

I bet you can see where I'm coming from when I also say I love Ryougi from Melty/KnK and Laura from Trails of Cold Steel. You can see what kind of character gets to me.
Just looked these up. You certainly do have a type :p No shame in that.

200px-Dennis_confused.jpg
What does Herman Hulst have to do with the topic?

/s

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Who didn't immediately run out and grab a copy of Manhunt when they heard about Pigsy?

Slaythe

Heh.

I need to like the design of the character.

It has to appeal to me in some way.

Definitely games I put down because of it (god of war, ew ; and games I loved because of it (Devil May Cry).

I wouldn't say it's because they're hot but because their design was compelling.

Dio

Banned
Never have I ever bought a game because I thought a character was hot. So I can safely say the whole "sex sells" mantra has no affect on me, at least in this medium. Movies or TV shows it's a different story.

But attractive characters are a nice bonus after the fact, I guess.

Just looked these up. You certainly do have a type :p No shame in that.

I had to edit that a bit, you highlighted an error I made in my post.

You can only romance Meiya in the first two games, Alternative has only one romance interest and Meiya gets 'noble confidant'd' aka shoved aside romance-wise for Very Important Plot Reasons.

Creepy

Sexy characters are nice to look at, It's pretty straight forward really.

And a pleasant experience is what you're purchasing.

Nothing odd about it.

Is there any need for this chest thumping in here? It's not a bad thing to be attracted to both real and fictional characters. You don't have to threadshit about how you're too cool to think a fictional person would ever possibly be attractive.
Wtf are you talking about.

The entire premise of your thread wad asking the question, "have you ever bought a game because a hot girl/guy was in it".

I posted my answer. How is that chest beating and thread sitting? I answered the question in your OP.

Please stop projecting your own insecurities about your kinks onto me, thanks.

TB12

Banned
Bayonetta_box_artwork.png

Not gonna lie, i never heard of this game before. Saw the cover first, read the review. Bought it and its one of the best game ever :)

Elandyll

Banned
As a kid, I may or may not have been enticed to consider purchasing Barbarian on Amiga due to Mariah Whittaker's involvement with its advertising and packaging...

No that's ridiculous. How can people find fictional cartoon characters attractive ?

I balked at the idea for years. Kept seeing people drool over polygons and I laughed. "Maybe in a few years," I said.
Then a few years happened. Then Quiet happened. Then I said, "uh oh." And now I too am attracted to polygons.

I've never bought a game for that reason however.

Dio

Banned
Wtf are you talking about.

The entire premise of your thread wad asking the question, "have you ever bought a game because a hot girl/guy was in it".

I posted my answer. How is that chest beating and thread sitting? I answered the question in your OP.

Please stop projecting your own insecurities about your kinks onto me, thanks.

Actually, you make a good point. When I read your post, it was like I read your 'actual' women quote in italics, like "I only like actual women LOL' which was me 'projecting' what I thought your tone was.

Sorry if you didn't actually mean it like that, I assumed you did.

Sarcasm and snark is so common on the internet these days sometimes I just assume people are that way by default every time they post.

Kthulhu

Of course. Do you think people buy DoA Extreme for gameplay? I like sexy ladies in video game, especially adult lady like Eva (mgs3), Ada Wong or Quistis. Sadly look like moe girls are dominating female game characters right now.

Uh, yeah. How else are you gonna get hype moments like this?

Wedzi

Banned
Never bought a game because of it, but definitely when I was younger, embarrassing as it is to say, went out of my way to search for certain, uhh, "scenes" in Mass Effect and Fable.

singhr1

As the sole or primary reason? Hell No. As one of the reasons? Sure.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Skullgirls
Overwatch

georly

Nope, but it's one way to get my attention and at least make me look at the game. After that the game has to be good, but i'll certainly click a link or look at a box if the there's an attractive person somewhere in it.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
At first I was like "man this is so strange" but I guess gaming art has improved over the last 30 years to the point that if I was 13 some of these fantasy characters might be attractive in a sorta way.

To answer to question, NO.

Replicant

Of course.

Uncle Dante is so hot that I bought 2 version of the Steelbook of DMC4
Bought Nioh because William is a hot.
Bought NieR: Automata because 2B is aesthetically pleasing to look at.
I also usually buy the open-world RPG if I can customize the guy so I can make a good-looking guy.

Pejo

I'm going to be checking everyone's Steam libraries in this thread for X-Blades.

Anyways, yea I have.

Raptor

No never, even tho Im the kind of gamer that likes to look at characters ass while playing, reason I always chosing females instead of males when the option is there.

But buying a game strictly cuase I find them hot?

Nope.

Metzhara

Honestly, I've always thought this a ridiculous notion but it's more prevalent than I expected it would be.
For me, unless it's an FMV, there's no such thing as "HOT".
I purchase titles like "Senran Kagura" because they're absolutely abhorrent in concept, but man are they actually great games! To me, the ridiculousness of punching clothes off has me rolling and the knowledge that someone had to sit there and design characters to be undressed that look like under-age girls makes me squirm in disgust. A terrifying mix of great and terrible. I've collected a great many games like this but I find they're all Japanese at this time.
When I streamed these games, they always get the most views and most who respond in the feed are interested for the visuals. I'd wager that more people buy games based on this concept than will admit, and some are likely to be completely unaware that's one of their impulses.

The one game where I would most likely apply this to myself might be Bayonetta, but even then it was more the ridiculousness and accomplished execution on the animation and gameplay. (Metal Gear Rising's Raiden still has the BEST walk cycle in my opinion, closely followed by Nier 2 which sorta applies here also.)

Replicant

I think it's silly to think that attractive characters don't sell. Just like IRL, attractive people do attract more attention.

Justinh

I'm going to have to say no, I've never bought a game because sexy.

I can't say the same for playing an arcade game though. It's possible, but I can't remember any actual specific instances (when I was 7-11 I lived in Okinawa, Japan)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Can't think of a time I've done this for a specific character but definitely for specific artists. I've bought pretty much any game with character design/art by Kozaki Yusuke down to trashfires like Tsukugime Ranko's longest day and Liberation Maiden Sin without even a second thought.

Top Bottom