• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a game because a hot girl/guy was in it

notaskwid

No, but midway wanted me to

2210757-box_shc.png

Dio

Banned
Thanks for making this topic. I often wonder when this is an unacknowledged element that makes certain games more popular than they otherwise would be. When I'm unfamiliar with a game or series and I'm thinking whether to try it out or not, it's something that I consider. A recent example is Persona 5.

To answer your question, no I don't believe I have ever done this. Part of the reason maybe that I'm older. I don't think I have ever found a video game character "hot". Real life people, yes, but not video game characters.

See, now, this is where things get mystifying for me.

People have been aroused by things that are not literally human beings for millennia now. Marble sculptures, drawings, et cetera are part of human history.

The ability to interpret lines and gain an 'implication' of say, the female form, is part of having a normal, active and healthy imagination.

I cannot understand people who hold zero attraction to even a realistic video game character. To me, it's like they have a disorder.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Wow, no.

Can't really say I was ever remotely attracted to a videogame or cartoon character period. I always liked and dated real girls and even married on eventually.

Neff

lol no

But I'll absolutely defend the choice and the right of artists to implement whatever characters they want into their creations, regardless of in vogue preferences or my own.

wildfire

Banned
I think it's silly to think that attractive characters don't sell. Just like IRL, attractive people do attract more attention.

Yeah this is an important point. Most people will say no as the OP has phrased it by I've seen so many comments about hot guys and girls in games that I seriously think 5 times as many people would say that yes hot characters make a game more appealing.

That increased appeal is what nudges them towards buying a game.

Personally if I was making money instead of allowance during puberty I could see myself buying a couple of games based solely on that but post puberty I don't care.

Out of my entire games library only Skullgirls counts as a game where I would say the character designs were sexy enough to be an influence on my purchasing decision even though I also own Dragon Age, multiple Mass Effects, Valkyrie Chronicles and the Sims 3.

jay

lol no

But I'll absolutely defend the choice and the right of artists to implement whatever characters they want into their creations, regardless of in vogue preferences or my own.

Worried about censorship laws?

Dio

Banned
Yeah this is an important point. Most people will say no as the OP has phrased it by I've seen so many comments about hot guys and girls in games that I seriously think 5 times as many people would say that yes hot characters make a game more appealing.

I didn't want an answer to that. That question is obvious. I wanted to hear from people who bought a game because of it.

I was going to say that's stupid of course not, but actually I'm pretty sure I got all the Tonb Raiders as a kid mainly because of boobs. Sweet, pointy, low-res boobs.

Slashlen

I wouldn't say I've bought one solely because of a single hot girl, but it can factor into it, and I own some games where I would say my primary interest in them is for...less than pure reasons. I own DOAX3 after all(which I don't regret). I also once bought an Idea Factory game because of it before I knew of the quality of their games(this I do regret).

What may be more common is that it improves a game that I generally had an interest in anyway. Did I get Nier because of 2B? No, I'd say the main reason is I've heard Taro games are great but this is the first one that doesn't play like shit. Did it get to the top of my pile because of her? I think it might have.

It can also affect how I play my games. I'll throw in with the OP on being a Laura fan based on character design, and I did a lot of her link events on my first run of Cold Steel 1+2. I have similar plans for Makoto in P5. If I'm given a character creator, I'm making a waifu. On the mobile front, I'm currently playing FE Heroes, and I have 200 orbs that I was saving but I'm going to burn them until I get some bunnygirls in the next banner.

I tend not to look at it as this deciding feature where something I would otherwise never ever touch suddenly becomes a favorite. When it's well done, it can add to a game, like a good soundtrack or good art design. I don't think I'd play a terrible game due to a soundtrack either, but it could be one of the highlights of a game I did play.

Daingurse

I bought an eroge game once, so I guess the answer to that question is yes. And hot chicks were like at-least 50% of the reason I wanted Dead or Alive 2 back in the day.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Don't think I ever have, but if there's a character creation option then I try to make my character kawaii as heck. I enjoyed shopping and haircuts more then anything else in Pokemon Moon, although that's probably because the rest of the game wasn't very good.

Champions of Norrath. That girly calendar and my teenage mind, not a good combo.

Loved the game though, really had a blast with it, but I shouldn't have preordered it.

I was going to say no, but then I remembered this $1 game on XBL Arcade

lg_screen3.jpg

it was bad, but I had a dollar left in my XBL wallet and I had 0 games on XBox that I wanted to play :(

Also, the "In For the Kill" trailer for Bayonetta playing in GameStop made me want to get Bayonetta, just for the fact she had guns for high heels. Not sure if that was platonic amazement I felt or what though

Charamiwa

Banned
It didn't entirely motivated me, but Elizabeth's popularity after Bioshock Infinite came out certainly convinced me to give this game a try. So I guess waifu baiting worked.

I ended up being disappointed in both the game and her character.

BaasRed

Banned
yes most of them I do:

- Overwatch
- Shadow Hearts
- Final fantasy
- Nier (eventually)
- Ratchet and Clank
- DMC 4 (Dante <3 )
- Dark Souls 3

Moonkid

Skullgirls grabbed my attention in this regard, but it was the aesthetic as a whole that pushed me over really. If it didn't have the animation, artstyle, and music going for it I wouldn't have thought-twice.

I see discussions constantly online about X series or Y game and see this cropping up as a point of contention. People not possibly believing that people buy games because they see a hot girl on the cover, or a hot guy in a preview video, et cetera.

So, I want to ask you, GAF.

Have you?

I know I have. I played the Muv-Luv Trilogy because of Meiya and I played Arcana Heart because of Kamui.

I bet you can see where I'm coming from when I also say I love Ryougi from Melty/KnK and Laura from Trails of Cold Steel. You can see what kind of character gets to me.

But this question doesn't make a lot of sense here in gaf, a gaming forum. We all here have some knowledge about games, which ones we like, which ones are better, worse, etc. People who buy a game because of a hot girl/guy in the cover are probably people who doesn't know much about videogames and, of course, are not here in Gaf.

But that's how this king of publicity work, not only in games, but in everything. It's not aimed to people who know about the product.

On topic: nope, never.

TLZ

Banned
The intention of using sex is often to draw initial attention. You may not have bought a game because it's using sexual imagery, but that may be why it peaked your interest in the first place.

It's more complex than you're assuming.
Lol you're over complicating it.

Dio

Banned
I'm gonna guess you're pretty young OP.

Thanks for the condescension, but I'm 27.

I also don't buy every game because 'ooh look hot girl.' I didn't buy Automata because of 2B, I was going to buy the game before they even showed that one shot of 2B's foot and eyes in the teaser trailer and hadn't even revealed the MC yet.

I just have done it a couple times, so I wanted to know if anyone else did.

It's a reason I bought DmC and Tomb Raider 2013. I think DOA5 was a PS+ game on PS3 and that's why I was interested in downloading it despite not being a fighting game person. Maybe one or two more times. I don't count the Robert Yang games I bought since that wasn't why I bought them.

TLZ

Banned
But this question doesn't make a lot of sense here in gaf, a gaming forum. We all here have some knowledge about games, which ones we like, which ones are better, worse, etc. People who buy a game because of a hot girl/guy in the cover are probably people who doesn't know much about videogames and, of course, are not here in Gaf.

But that's how this king of publicity work, not only in games, but in everything. It's not aimed to people who know about the product.

On topic: nope, never.

Apparently you're wrong. You'll be disappointed if you read the posts.

Zambayoshi

I'm a habitual offender...

Bravely Default on 3DS - bought because of that damned sexy fairy...

25d98b5562a0e02637f60672fc0a01d0.png

Catherine on PS3 - er....

Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 - LIghtning...

00-1.jpg

Hatsune Miku Project Diva f on PS Vita - Miku :)

Hatsune-Miku-Project-DIVA-F-6.jpg

Heavenly Sword on PS3 - Nariko

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart on PS Vita - my lovely tsundere Noire/Black Heart

hyperdevotion-noire-save-game.jpg

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky on PS Vita - literally just the twin tails of Estelle...

the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-review.jpg

Lollipop Chainsaw on PS3 - Juliet Starling!

article_post_width_Lollipop-Chainsaw1-600x300.jpg

Mirror's Edge on PS3 - Faith

mirrosegedinarticleyes.jpg

mankoto

Yes and no I guess it just relies me on buying into it I guess. I'm a little peculiar in a way. I have no problems buying games with cute girls in them just because. My purchase of KoF XIV and DOAX3 are proof of this. At the same time I'm waiting for Sakura to be announce for SFV before I buy it and I'm currently contemplating if I should go ahead and get DOA5 or just wait for DOA6 at this point.

Having cute girls doesn't work on me 100% of the time though. What helps is the genre and/or the people behind it. For instance, with VNs, art and synopsis are the de facto behind a purchase for me.

Another example of this being Senran Kagura the gameplay looked decent enough, but when I read that Takaki wanted to see what boobs looked like in 3D I bought it wanting to know what kind of fruit a dream like that would bare. Been a follower ever since. He's a man on a mission and that's something I can respect no matter how silly and outrageous it might be.

Oddly enough, while I wouldn't call myself a diehard Fire Emblem fan (I've probably played 3 of them before Awakening) what Awakening was doing and what Fates doubled down on wasn't doing it for me. In fact it sort of pushed me away. Echos looks pretty dope though.

Random thought: A plus on me buying a game if it has a character creator and/or there are cute clothes for me to buy that actually show up on the model. God only knows how many hours it took me to settle on a look for my trainer in X/Y and Sun/Moon

Sure, why not, I also pay attention to the gameplay itself, if that doesn't get me I won't get it, but like a bit of sex appeal never drove me away.
I like what I like and I'm not ashamed of it, and people who try to make me ashamed aren't worth my time.

Top Bottom