• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Having trouble finding Etrian Odyssey?

sphinx

the piano man
EBay auctions are already showing signs that the game is becoming a rarity.

As you can see people are starting to expect a lot of money from their auctions. The last auction is particularly insane. The game is used and the guy charges $6.00 for shipping. 40bucks for a used DS game?? rape time indeed.

EOebay.jpg

I really suggest to anyone that has seen the game on sale in stores, specially brand new, to get ahold of a copy now and not leave it for latter.

Narag

sphinx said:
EBay auctions are already showing signs that the game is becoming a rarity.

As you can see people are starting to expect a lot of money from their auctions. The last auction is particularly insane. The game is used and the guy charges $6.00 for shipping. 40bucks for a used DS game?? rape time indeed.

I really suggest to anyone that has seen the game on sale in stores, specially brand new, to get ahold of a copy now and not leave it for latter.

If I recall, the first Advance Wars and Tetris DS are like this too.

This thread was fresh in my mind on Friday when I went to pick up No More Heroes and Advance Wars DS2, so I picked up a used copy for $25. I have to say it is indeed electric crack. The only bit that's puzzling me is that I can't seem to use skills. Am I doing something wrong, or do those get unlocked later in the game?

Alts

bmf said:
This thread was fresh in my mind on Friday when I went to pick up No More Heroes and Advance Wars DS2, so I picked up a used copy for $25. I have to say it is indeed electric crack. The only bit that's puzzling me is that I can't seem to use skills. Am I doing something wrong, or do those get unlocked later in the game?

You have to purchase them with skill points. Some are passive, so they'll always be active.

Alts said:
You have to purchase them with skill points. Some are passive, so they'll always be active.
Hum. I thought I already had done that, but they're greyed out. I'm probably doing something wrong. I've been trying to get my medic to be able to heal

EDIT: Figured it out. I hadn't realized there were multiple pages left and right in the custom menu.

Alts

It is crucial to read the descriptions of the skills. Know, however, that they are not perfect.

I'm booting up my game to check some stuff...

Healer determines some base effectiveness of the technique. Cure is the technique itself.

As lame as it might seem, it is definitely worth it to a read a FAQ on the skills in the game. There are a number of skills that are borderline useless, and a few that are very good (Immunize). The reason for the FAQ is that they give ACCURATE descriptions of skills, somehting the game sadly lacks. Immunize, for example, boosts physical and magical defense, contrary to the description.

Anyway, hope I helped some.

cartman414 said:
The Gamestop search function turned up nada.

BTW, are used copies cart only over there?
The copy I got at gamecrazy seemed to be complete. It included the cart, the case, the j-card, the manual, and a couple of inserts. Of course it's a YMMV thing. The stickers even peeled off easily.

bmf said:
The copy I got at gamecrazy seemed to be complete. It included the cart, the case, the j-card, the manual, and a couple of inserts. Of course it's a YMMV thing. The stickers even peeled off easily.

J-card? Stickers?

Ledsen

We should have a gift thread, where, if you get something for free, you have to give away something as well. It would be awesome.

Enron

Banned
Narag said:
$24.99 used or so it was last week.

Not anymore. I just picked up a 2nd copy of Etrian Odyssey yesterday at the Gamestop near Georgia Tech for 17.99. Picked it up for someone in Europe.

They should really make a sort of stats board on the bottom screen during battle for the next one. I can't tell how many times I've fought with my Protector just doing Defender over and over.

lyre

But that's what a Protector is for. :p

And spamming the same stats-based skill doesn't stack; if you use a skill twice, it just resets the counter.

But yes, pressing Start to change from Map to Party Stats would be very useful.

It's such a shame this became rare so quickly. It's a good game and probably the best rpg on the DS, though that might not be saying much. I only wish I played it more often. I'll beat it, one day. Though I'll probably have children by then. >_>

ninj4junpei said:
It's such a shame this became rare so quickly. It's a good game and probably the best rpg on the DS, though that might not be saying much. I only wish I played it more often. I'll beat it, one day. Though I'll probably have children by then. >_>

It's an Atlus game, why would anyone be surprised it's rare? That's how they roll, with the limited print runs. At least they do a business model that works for them, that permits them to continue to operate and release these kinds of niche games to us here in North America.

If you missed out on Etrian Odyssey and can't find a copy anywhere, at least for a price you're willing to pay, buy its sequel. It's coming out some time this year.

I recently showed a classmate my copy of Etrian Odyssey and explained to him what kind of game it was. He wanted Etrian Odyssey quite badly, I told him good luck finding a copy. But what do you know, a few days later we find one used copy while hitting up EB for another game. It was the first I've seen in months in a brick n' mortar shitty thing was my buddy couldn't afford to buy it at the time nor could I.

I built a wall of Horsez, Hannah Montanna and other shovelware around it. Hopefully the game will be there in two weeks when he can afford to buy it. If not, there's always the sequel!

Rule of thumb, if it's an Atlus developed game, buy it day one.

Enron

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Not even close. EO ftw.

I dunno. Ive been playing RPGs for 13 years now and I'm having a hard time trying to think of one that tops Persona 3. It pushed CHRONO TRIGGER down to #2 on my list. That's right.

Enron said:
I dunno. Ive been playing RPGs for 13 years now and I'm having a hard time trying to think of one that tops Persona 3. It pushed CHRONO TRIGGER down to #2 on my list. That's right.
Well, i've only been playing rpgs for 8 years, and persona 3 only managed to make it into the 'mediocre RPGs that i'll never finish list'.

Apparently I don't "get" it.

JoeMartin

Persona 3 has managed to elude me. I want to give it a go but the SMT games in general don't seem to exist outside eBay auctions anymore. Eh, my PS2 is consumed with Xenosaga right now anyways.

EO is definitely awesome though, and it only gets better with time. The further in you go the better the game gets. I'm a little young to remember the old school dungeon crawlers like Wizardry and at first I found the mapping system to be a necessary inconvenience, but it's easily my favorate part of the game now that I'm into it. Exploring and documenting every inch of Yggrdrasil is awesome.

TheGrue

I was, until I walked into Gamestop the other week and saw it used for $24.99. Bought it in a snap. Great game.

JoeMartin said:
If you're genuinely interested in giving the game a go it's yours, free, no strings attached.

That's a really cool sentiment but I've learned it doesn't really work in the gaming community. I had a friend who back in 2002 really really wanted to play Suikoden 2. I had a spare complete opened but unplayed copy I was given when I already owned a new one back when the game originally released. So to surprise her, that Christmas I gave it to her since it was impossible to find cheap in such great condition. Well, not even a month later she sold it on evilbay for over $100.

Sadly, she wasn't the first to do that as a random gamer on another board did the same to me with the original FFT for PSone (don't ask me why I have spare copies of rare games). He was all 'I'd really appreciate it" and the moment he got it, I get an email saying "Yay, and it's already in ebay condition". So I simply quit doing that and putting faith into strangers. Someone posted free 2000 Wi points in the VC thread. Whoever redeemed it, didn't seem to even thank the poster.

People aren't trustworthy so let me know if this actually works. Although it's very unlikely if the persons ells i, they will reveal that)

legend166

I'm not going to sell the game, don't worry.

In my entire time gaming, I've sold one game on eBay - Skies of Arcadia: Legends. It was the biggest mistake ever :(

jaundicejuice said:
It's an Atlus game, why would anyone be surprised it's rare? That's how they roll, with the limited print runs. At least they do a business model that works for them, that permits them to continue to operate and release these kinds of niche games to us here in North America.

If you missed out on Etrian Odyssey and can't find a copy anywhere, at least for a price you're willing to pay, buy its sequel. It's coming out some time this year.

I recently showed a classmate my copy of Etrian Odyssey and explained to him what kind of game it was. He wanted Etrian Odyssey quite badly, I told him good luck finding a copy. But what do you know, a few days later we find one used copy while hitting up EB for another game. It was the first I've seen in months in a brick n' mortar shitty thing was my buddy couldn't afford to buy it at the time nor could I.

I built a wall of Horsez, Hannah Montanna and other shovelware around it. Hopefully the game will be there in two weeks when he can afford to buy it. If not, there's always the sequel!

Rule of thumb, if it's an Atlus developed game, buy it day one.

Not all Atlus games undergo that kind of scenario though (see: Contact, Odin Sphere).

Fortunately for me, I found a new copy at my local Gamecrazy!

larvi

cartman414 said:
Not all Atlus games undergo that kind of scenario though (see: Contact, Odin Sphere).

Fortunately for me, I found a new copy at my local Gamecrazy!

I wonder why that is, did they print more of those titles or was the demand just not there? I've been waiting for Izuna for the DS to drop in price and went looking for it today on Amazon and the prices are outrageous (35-50 used and 70 new) for that title which wasn't that well reviewed. I had to search the net quite a bit to find a new copy at normal price and decided I better grab it while I can.

Top Bottom