• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Demo is up on EU store !

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
You really like that pixelated, noisy look in the Halo 3 shot? It's so messy.

Of course, that looks like a full 1280x720 pixel Halo 3 shot and we know the game does not run at that resolution so I'm wondering where that actually came from.

I prefer the Halo 3 IQ definitely. But I know you're ok with blur filters and I hate them. I bought an HD set to see crisp sharp HD IQ. I really don't like blur :(

BobsRevenge said:
When I heard the dude asking if I could see him I almost got shivers.

At first I thought he was just talking emo. :D

Where are you guys looking for the carnage of the bombed camp? I've restarted that checkpoint multiple times to try and see something, but the screen just turns black & white for 0.3 seconds and then the scream (and I had only associated it with the standard "shock" noise found in movies) but I haven't seen any bodies.

KurowaSan

DeadGzuz said:
IGN has some new pics, they don't look like the old bullshots.

haze-screens-20080507093349949.jpg

Wish it looked like that. Whether it's for good or bad, the hud is different from the demo, maybe it's a newer build and they went for a sharper image even at the cost of getting aliasing, or maybe it's still a bullshot :\.

10nb4nm.jpg

I'm also on the 'sharper better than blurrier' camp. As I said here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11065963&postcount=355, there's definitely a difference between the sharpness I get with Haze compared to other games. I've seen gamevideos hd footage from the demo and it looks basically the same way my captures do http://i27.tinypic.com/16jg55x.jpg

sajj316

KurowaSan said:
Wish it looked like that. Whether it's for good or bad, the hud is different from the demo, maybe it's a newer build and they went for a sharper image even at the cost of getting aliasing, or maybe it's still a bullshot :\.

I'm also on the 'sharper better than blurrier' camp. As I said here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11065963&postcount=355, there's definitely a difference between the sharpness I get with Haze compared to other games. I've seen gamevideos hd footage from the demo and it looks basically the same way my captures do http://i27.tinypic.com/16jg55x.jpg

Looks exactly like this on my LCD TV. Interesting that you point out that the HUD shots are different than whats in the demo. Could it be possible that what was given as a demo was early work? Doesn't seem logical to me to demo early work but its possible.

KurowaSan

sajj316 said:
Looks exactly like this on my LCD TV. Interesting that you point out that the HUD shots are different than whats in the demo. Could it be possible that what was given as a demo was early work? Doesn't seem logical to me to demo early work but its possible.

well, to be fair with the game, over hdmi it does look much better, at least for me.

Troidal

I play and finished the demo a couple of times. It's nothing special but I like what I saw in the demo. The promo movie they had in the demo also showed some really nice sections of the game - and I'm guessing these are also the best parts of the game, hehe. The blur and low-res look on the graphics certainly is disappointing...if my memory isn't hazy (sorry for the pun) I remember seeing grasses and tress moving when I first saw it at E3 2005. Either that or it looked so nice back then, maybe not so much now with bigger better games. I'm definitely importing this one since I don't have anything else this month, I was just about hungry for another shooter anyways :)

Ashhong

i was expecting Haze to look like crap after reading this thread, especially since my TV wont even do 720p. But instead I thought it looked great. It wasn't blurry at all, and I couldnt see any high amount of jaggies or anything. I really like how the nectar refills as you kill. Makes the shooting and the killing so fast. Might be worth a rental.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
sajj316 said:
Looks like that on my DLP too.

I feel like that screenshot actually captures what Haze looks like better because it has some action going on.

Raist

Banned
Gave it a shot earlier today.

I think it looks very good, IMO, it's clean, with lots of details, framerate is locked, no tearing, very nice smoke effects and nice touches such as the nectar effects.

Gameplay wise, nothing special, but controls are ok, and AI is not bad at all.

I don't think I would buy this game, but I quite don't understand the amount of hate it's getting. Especially in the graphics department.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It really does seems like a pretty mediocre game from the demo. Nothing too bad about it, but nothing really interesting either. Nectar effects are nice, but it's stupidly easy to use nectar, there's no risk associated with it - only way to overdose is to do it intentionally. Granted, the overdose effect is great looking, but its not something you actually want to happen during the gameplay so you won't ever be seeing it, if they keep nectar use this easy and penalty free.

Your team mates have a pretty nice Starship Troopers thing going on with enjoying in what they do a wee bit to much, and making silly rhymes about it :-D I thought it was funny at least.

Jungle environment looks too bloomy and washed out somehow, but numerous comments from this thread saying how everything was completely static and didn't move are simply not true. Almost every tree canopy and every plant, including grass, is in fact swaying in the wind. Not by much, so it's perhaps possible to miss it, but it is moving. Stand and look at just about anything and it's swaying around.

But yeah, the whole thing comes off as pretty bland, and the moment when they try to make you feel for the dying pilot is particularly poorly executed, which surprised me as this kind of connecting to team mates and feeling for them was something they were boasting about.

sajj316

Just so that people don't complain too much about the controls ... it is configurable. I gave it COD4 control scheme and I swear I was playing a different game. Its good in that I don't have to keep switching my controls when I got back to COD4 for some multiplayer.

After playing the demo about 50 times, I'm digging it. The nectar effect adds much to the game and it really makes you a much better shooter. I've always thought it was way too easy to kill someone in COD4, especially with a sniper. I get the dialogue. It really brings across killing with no remorse and a lead character that is coming to gripes with this very fact. This might be a buy ... seriously thinking about it. Ok, back to playing it about 50 more times.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
after the emo i don't really know i should buy it , at first i liked the game , the game is good there is interesting story and that something rare with FPS games , the gameplay and the normal gunfights were solid , but when i used that nectar thingy (L2) the gunplay turned to a hell of absolute crap and maybe i don't understand how to use Nectar ? i don't know but it just ruined the demo for me , i will play again using some tips for Nectar usage.

when you play as rebel soldier later in the game you don't use Nectar right ?

jjasper

Totobeni said:
when you play as rebel soldier later in the game you don't use Nectar right ?

You use it as a weapon against the mantel to get them to overdose. They have shown knives with it and grenades. Also the not being able to see dead people is used against them with the playing dead thing.

I just saw the commercial during the Celtics and Cavaliers game. What the hell were they thinking when they put it together? There's a ton of slowdown during the first part of the commercial that isn't there in the actual game (the show footage of the start of forest level). It's almost moving in slow motion during those scenes.

gtj1092

Just saw a Haze commercial during the NBA playoffs. Hope the voice in the commercial is not the one used in the game.

Also WTF at SCEA showing a Haze commercial but not giving GT5P anytype of promotion.

zoku88

Ok, I tried this game out. I got really sick :-/

It didn't bore me or anything... Maybe the field of vision is off?

I don't feel very well >.>

Troidal

I like shooting the nectar pods and give my teammates an overdose :lol

"Aaaaahhhhhh.....uuuhhhhhh......"
*starts shooting crazy*

Probably the best way to get yourself booted off the game though.

I am not feeling this game. It feels very generic. Please don't hate me gaf :( I feel like a PS3 exclusive could look better too.

Maybe after Lost I'll try online.

Azzurri

Whipped Spartan said:
I am not feeling this game. It feels very generic. Please don't hate me gaf :( I feel like a PS3 exclusive could look better too.

Maybe after Lost I'll try online.

Feel the same way.

nib95

Banned
Ok, my impressions based on the SP element of the demo.

Firstly, the visuals. Impressive, nothing mind blowing but better than I expected. The textures are a little on the soft and bare side, but over-all the level design and art style helps to make things look very well composed. The Jungle looks thriving, while it lacks a little colour, it also has a decent amount of scale to it, and is bustling with objects, tree's, shrubbery and other elements that make it feel more immersive. Lighting is excellent, if a little on the bloomy side. The atmosphere is nice, while it lacks the vibrancy of the jungle in Halo 3, it has more of a busy hot and humid feel about it.

On to the gameplay. Firstly, there's very little in the way of innovation. Sure you can tank yourself up with Nectar (which is very satisfying by the way, though you feel like a right junkie doing it) but it doesn't do much besides make you a soldier on roids. Think Chimera in resistance and that's the effects of nectar for you. At a hold of the L2 trigger, you'll transform, your vision will go in to blur focused mode, you'll speed up, strengthen and will see people as glowing orbs. It certainly makes you feel empowered, and makes hitting them really easy.

Aiming is tight, as has always been the case with Free Radical games. The controls feel solid. My only negative is that the slight level of auto aim can be a bit twitchy. But you soon adjust to it, depending on how good your level of control is with the analogues. The game just requires you to use the full range of analogue movement, and put more thought to sensitivity. After a few kills, I was comfortable with the set up, killing was easy but most importantly satisfying, which brings me on to the weapons. They feel great. They have a real grunt and kick to them. Think pulse rifle from Aliens with more tack and bite. The pistol is also deadly powerful, though pretty fidgety with aim. The sound effects are a little on the quiet side, but still sound potent.

The zoom works a treat on the rifle, and combined with the Nectar make for some pretty undemanding kills.

The characters are pretty weak. While the main character himself has decent voice acting, the same cannot be said for his comrades who sound like your typical gun ho American immature grunts. Their lines are cheesy, but not mind numbing, in-that you'll still care for what they say, simply because they're still rather amusing. Without spoiling anything, there's one plot segment, where the narrative is especially detached. Where a dying soldier has a random speech. My immediate thoughts were "what was that all about?" Never-the-less, it made for an interesting scene, if a little un-inspired.

There is one section in the demo where your nectar temporarily freaks out, and you see the crash site in a different light. Cue the bleak reality of the site, with degraded colours, burnt bodies and death galore. If anything, I can see this element of the truth behind nectar opening up nicely in the story ahead. It definitely intrigued me anyway.

Overall, I'll say that I was pleasantly surprised with the demo. I expected a lot worse, but what I got was a solid fps experience, with decent controls, fairly accomplished aiming mechanics and satisfying weapons. The visuals, while not genre busting, work very well. They're clean (not a jaggy in sight), smooth (no frame rate hitches) and well designed. Lighting is excellent, as are the effects and explosions. I think the game has potential, and I'll definitely be picking it up at release, if only to experience how the game and story develop. The most important thing is, the game is fun, and killing satisfying. These two elements keep things from being repetitive, and keep you enticed. Factor this in with the plot developments from the final game, the vast array of weapons, side switching, nectar abuse and vehicle components. And I think we may have a silent winner on our hands. I think people have short changed Free radical. They've provided solid experiences in the past, and I don't think Haze will be any different. It might not be pioneering or part of the elite runners, but it's certainly has the potential to be better than most.

Dante

I thought it looked good and played good.

This went from Day 2 to Day 1.

I am kinda hooked on the Nectar though, wish you could stay on Mantel the whole game.

Troidal

Dante said:
I thought it looked good and played good.

This went from Day 2 to Day 1.

I am kinda hooked on the Nectar though, wish you could stay on Mantel the whole game.

Yeah looking at the videos, I don't really see why "playing dead" is fun compared to sniping with assault rifles under the influence of Nectaaaar... It just seems like it's just there as a twist to the story they got going.

I am having a blast playing this! I have been looking forward to this game for a while and this demo has just made me want it more. I think the story is going to be awesome as well. When has Free Radical ever really let us down? Day 1 at this point!

Just played through the demo and thought it was pretty horrible overall. Im actually removing this off of my must buy list. If theres good word of mouth on it, Ill pick it up for the co-op but the demo really turned me off.

-Graphics were decent
-characters were generic
-voice lines and characters felt odd and out of place
-gameplay mechanics were nothing new
-too much down time in the demo
-no memorable moments in the demo
-i only found one extra weapon in the demo, and it was similar to the generic machine gun I was using

I just tried Haze. Man, it's too blurry for me and started to bother my eyes. I couldn't even finish the demo. Too bad too, because I LOVED TimeSplitters Future Perfect and I was hoping this would turn out to be good, but with that PQ I don't think I can play it. Hopefully the final is sharper.

i downloaded it today and played for a bit. the graphics are pretty good, but the gameplay is pretty mediocre. it reminds me of turok. i just don't like how the guns/shooting "feel".

when i play games like gears, COD 4, halo... hell even condemned, i like the feel of the weapons. i'm not sure what it is, but both turok and this game have given me bad vibes with the shooting portion of the game. bad news when you're a shooter.

also, on a somewhat related note, i downloaded dark sector on psn and it was pretty cool. reminded me of gears. i will definitely buy it when i see it on sale for $30 or less!

Everdred

I don't know why there is all this bitching about graphics. I thought the game look good, framerate was solid and there was a lot of detail. I do think the demo was extremely short. I feel like there was suppose to be more going on or that they could have chose a better area of the game. I'll probably end up purchasing it.

xbhaskarx

besada said:
Your buddies are annoying. The commentary on soldiers is ham-handed at best, making them seem like retarded racist fifteen year olds.

akachan ningen said:
Talked to anybody in the army lately? It's perfect, given that this game is a satire on the current military.

Interesting that the US military is always stereotyped as either a bunch of racist white hicks or a bunch of underprivileged urban minorities.

"Satire on the current military" didn't work out so well for Blacksite either...

sinnergy

This demo is terrible. Free Radical really let me (Time Splitters fan) down big time. The gameplay is very meh, not what I am used to from the GoldenEye team.

THe art is beyond generic. The IQ is blurry because of the upscaling, the texture resolution is embarrassing, don't know what you guys have been doing these years?

No sale from me :(

JdFoX187

Banned
I've played the demo twice and I'm pleasently surprised.

The graphics are nothing to write home about, but they're solid. The framerate is buttery smooth, which was the biggest thing for me. The controls were tight and I loved the full customization. I don't know why more devs don't do it more often.

The voice acting got on my nerves a lot. But I loved the storyline behind the whole thing, especially when he freaks out and sees all the dead bodies for a second. I think the storyline will be what saves this game. Everything else is very run-of-the-mill.

Still, I'm thinking about picking it up.

gtj1092

Play the demo last night on line and off. I am not really into FPS(I'ved only liked halo to be honest) but I kinda liked this one not mind blowing but fun and the co-op was real cool.

So do we have a clue yet as to why the resolution is so low? FR did a pretty good job of pushing the PS2 and I find it odd that they have cut such a huge corner with apparently no obvious benefit other than for themselves.

JB1981

JdFoX187 said:
I've played the demo twice and I'm pleasently surprised.

The graphics are nothing to write home about, but they're solid. The framerate is buttery smooth, which was the biggest thing for me. The controls were tight and I loved the full customization. I don't know why more devs don't do it more often.

The voice acting got on my nerves a lot. But I loved the storyline behind the whole thing, especially when he freaks out and sees all the dead bodies for a second. I think the storyline will be what saves this game. Everything else is very run-of-the-mill.

Still, I'm thinking about picking it up.

I kinda wish Nectar did more for you - the gameplay is just so stale. But I do agree, the game can be 'pleasant' to play - not sure if that is a good thing for an FPS though heh

JRW

Just played the demo and thought it was rather bizarre with awful AWFUL music and the whole nectar thing didnt work for me ... im not to sure about its upscaled 480P resolution appearance either with it's enormous jaggies. Meh

<<goes back to playing gta4>>

JB1981

JRW said:
Just played the demo and thought it was rather bizarre with awful AWFUL music and the whole nectar thing didnt work for me ... im not to sure about its upscaled 480P resolution appearance either with it's enormous jaggies. Meh

<<goes back to playing gta4>>

the music is one of the things that i really liked about the demo -

i highly doubt this is an old build too - the game looks more polished than ever.

ghostmind

Played through once - deleted immediately. Mediocre in every way, and not compelling when i have other good shooters in my backlog...

Enojado

I didn't have real high expectations for the demo, and maybe that partially explains why I was also pleasantly surprised. It was by no means great, but it wasn't bad. It felt slightly above average to me. The music wasn't bad, graphics were ok, and the element of nectar was different. The AI also seemed good enough to put up a respectable challenge.

I could see myself picking this up after it gets a bit cheaper.

Top Bottom