• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Demo is up on EU store !

Maggot9

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
...I'm with Y2Kev on this one :D

+ Despite the initial reaction to the "Hazey" (LAWL LAWL!) graphics, eventually you get used to their faults and start to notice the good-great things the game does like: The use of the first person camera during cinematic effects. The special effects associated when using Nectar. The suttle motion blur applied in certain parts and of course the locked 30fps...not to mention the art direction, which I personally do like.
Good art direction? Is it the shitty looking armor/suits the characters have or the shitty/bland/linear jungle level they throw you in that made you have that opinion?

El-Suave

The dialogue of my teammates was annoying and forced - this is what it must be like to play co-op with Jeff Bell in E3 2007 mode.
Otherwise I found the demo OK.

What's up with the Sharpie hate! >:|

Neways, I'm assuming it's the game's fault, since all PS3 games I own look like a dream in my telly...

Way to go FR =/

DeadGzuz

Banned
marvelharvey said:
If anyone from the Haze team is reading this thread, please fire everyone responsible for the dialogue. I actually had to stop playing the demo due to the incessant, poorly written and awfully acted banter amongst the troops. I might try it again later with the speech off and subtitles on.

You do understand that Mantle are eventually the "bad guys"? I suspect they are painting them as warmonger jock types, building hate for them for when you switch sides. Maybe people should not judge the final full game by the demo.

Maggot9 said:
Good art direction? Is it the shitty looking armor/suits the characters have or the shitty/bland/linear jungle level they throw you in that made you have that opinion?

I guess it was guy....

Pharmacy

Banned
maaaaan i dont have the internet on my ps3 anymore so i cant play this, but i KNEW impressions would be positive

i win

Speevy

Banned
Bearillusion said:
576p and 30fps!!! Surely with these sacrifices the game is doing something special. Right?

Bees!

And nobody can say no to the honey nut O's in the honey nut Cheerios.

antiloop

Maggot9 said:

At least it's artistically on par with other critically acclaimed titles out there.

Generic space marines TM.

decon

Maggot9 said:
Define: good art direction, on google and you get
halo%202%20master%20chief.jpg

Tieno

Just played the demo, it's controlls well and plays ok, looks nice too. Nectar is neat, especially when those marines overdose (I accidently shot someone when he got in my line of fire). But the gameplay in the demo is not good enough to warant a full retail price purchase for me. Nothing really in it that grabs me.

decon

bj00rn said:
Here we go again... When all other arguments fail, you can always blame Halo! :lol
Yep :p But seriously, I can't see how Haze's art is much worst than Halo or Gears or [random space guy]. Gears has Urban, Haze jungle, and from what I've seen the later levels with the rebels are actually in Urban and Desert etc.

decon said:
Define: good art direction, on google and you get
halo%202%20master%20chief.jpg

what the hell does a halo kubrick figure have to do with what you quoted?

decon said:
Yep :p But seriously, I can't see how Haze's art is much worst than Halo or Gears or [random space guy]. Gears has Urban, Haze jungle, and from what I've seen the later levels with the rebels are actually in Urban and Desert etc.

who gives a shit? just because X game has shitty art in your opinion doesn't mean Y game should get a free pass for having shit art as well

boco77

Banned
The game is very medicore, it falls into the Timeshift, Blacksite, Jericho categories of feeblness. It just feel generic and average in every way. Absolutely nothing stood out.

When the level loaded I thought what the fuck is up with the graphics and maybe it was my LCD Samsung TV as everything looked really jaggy and lowish in res. Basically the resolution in this game looks like somewhere in between a current gen title and a last gen title. First time I seen that in a game lol.

Halo 3 was slightly jaggy because of the lower res but looks beautiful with all the lighting and detail. This game is a blurry jagfest Its like I'm running a pc game in 800x600 lol. Dunno why they had to decrease the resolution as the graphics arent that good anyway even if it was full res. If games like CoD4 can manage 60fps with tons more detail lots happening and the same size playing field theres no excuse for this travesty. Hell even first gen 360 games like Perfect Dark look better.
To prove my point someone needs to grab a shot of the jungle level of Perfect Dark Zero and compare it to this lol. I'm at work right now and most pic sites are blocked otherwise I'd do it myself.

Meh. It isn't bad but it isn't good too: generic FPS in a very, very static jungle (no foliage movement, and so on). It's about what I expected from Free Radical after their latest producions, and I think that if someone will hype this it will be only because of PS3 exclusivity, a very smart move by Ubisoft.

Pug

I gave it blast last night. First up the whole nectar thing is okay but really doesn't do anything that hasn't been done previously. Still is was okay to play, quite tough on the higher diffciulty level. Graphically I have a problem with as with GTA4 on the PS3 its bloody blurry again. What is with this filter or what ever it is on the PS3, GT5 is clear as day. The bloom is also over done, but saying all this it was stil pretty decent to play.

Alf-Life

besada said:
Your buddies are annoying. The commentary on soldiers is ham-handed at best, making them seem like retarded racist fifteen year olds.

Interesting that people are calling out the 'bad writing' when in fact, it looks like they're going for a Starship Troopers vibe (from recent Ubi advertising)... and obviously want these guys to be satisfying to kill when you turn on them. :p

Looking forward to Derek Littlewood's hint about "if that was the only twist in the story, we wouldn't have told you" or words to that effect. I hope he's not kidding. :p I'm actually looking forward most to the story, given I really loved Second Sight - a slightly generic 3rd person action game - for the story most. :)

Corrupt

Alf-Life said:
Looking forward to Derek Littlewood's hint about "if that was the only twist in the story, we wouldn't have told you" or words to that effect. I hope he's not kidding. :p
Could you find me the source on that? That has sparked my interest further since I actually enjoyed the demo even though it was short.

Huggers

My impressions of the demo.

I like the games style a lot. Despite it having very average graphics (although it looks good at times) it has a certain atmosphere that I like.

The gunplay is strong as you would expect from a FR shooter. The guns feel weighty and are convincingly different in sound.

Nectar is a stroke of genius. I had loads of fun getting high on it and then charging into battle. Its effects are conveyed very well.

I actually like the voice acting. It's cheesy and is all a little bit "America fuck yeah", but it's clearly supposed to be this way.

Overall I was left with a good impression of this game from the demo. With it's impressive looking feature set I expect it to get scores of around 8 and will provide PS3 owners with a very solid FPS. Certainly something decent to play before R2.

itxaka

Defeatist
Tieno said:
Just played the demo, it's controlls well and plays ok, looks nice too. Nectar is neat, especially when those marines overdose (I accidently shot someone when he got in my line of fire). But the gameplay in the demo is not good enough to warant a full retail price purchase for me. Nothing really in it that grabs me.

This and

The game is very medicore, it falls into the Timeshift, Blacksite, Jericho categories of feeblness. It just feel generic and average in every way. Absolutely nothing stood out.

this express my opinion perfectly.

sullytao

I haven't been hyped for this game since I saw gameplay last year but I thought sod it I'l try the demo. It was exactly as I expected it to be. Gunplay was meh, the aiming was as fluid as I would have liked it to be, the dialogue was laughable (I admit COD 4 set my standards drastically high but even then this was still bad).

besada said:
Your buddies are annoying. The commentary on soldiers is ham-handed at best, making them seem like retarded racist fifteen year olds.

Talked to anybody in the army lately? It's perfect, given that this game is a satire on the current military.

This demo's fucking awful. But then again, it's the same software they used from nearly a year ago, before the massive delays began.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bebpo said:
swtg6e.jpg

I want to play this game!
Just to be fair, did you notice the resolution of that shot? Yep, 1024x576. I suppose it was accurate afterall. :D

The additional blur simply has to be due to anti-aliasing. There's no way this game doesn't use some form of AA (at least selective). On my display, the game is quite blurry, but has a very clean appearance. Most edges seem very smooth (even the foliage isn't bad). I don't think the textures have necessarily been cut down from that above shot either, it's simply a matter of distance.

The game is such a visual mixed bag. There are aspects of it that look pretty nice (the HDR lighting is actually really nice), but at the same time, plenty of ugly bits as well.

In all honesty, I DO feel that this blurry look would have worked better for something like Halo 3 than the selected display mode.

I mean...

This has a soft almost "CG-like" appearance...

10nb4nm.jpg

...but Halo 3 is just jaggy as hell...

926632_20070921_screen029.jpg

RoH

Some of you GAFers are awfully picky! I mean come on lets stare at the ground textures for 20 mins, or look the tree are not the Real!!!!!1. Sure this may not be a AAA a title but its going to be a solid shooter, you may not really like the story, but damn most of NeoGAF can't stand to watch a 46 second cut-scene.

kiUNiT

dark10x said:
Just to be fair, did you notice the resolution of that shot? Yep, 1024x576. I suppose it was accurate afterall. :D

The additional blur simply has to be due to anti-aliasing. There's no way this game doesn't use some form of AA (at least selective). On my display, the game is quite blurry, but has a very clean appearance. Most edges seem very smooth (even the foliage isn't bad). I don't think the textures have necessarily been cut down from that above shot either, it's simply a matter of distance.

The game is such a visual mixed bag. There are aspects of it that look pretty nice (the HDR lighting is actually really nice), but at the same time, plenty of ugly bits as well.

In all honesty, I DO feel that this blurry look would have worked better for something like Halo 3 than the selected display mode.

I mean...

This has a soft almost "CG-like" appearance...

10nb4nm.jpg

...but Halo 3 is just jaggy as hell...

926632_20070921_screen029.jpg

You prefer a blurred image with edge enhancement to a clean higher resolution image with some aliasing? I can't say I agree with you on this.I know jaggies suck but they do mostly disapear during movement and gameplay, where the blurry image used in this game looks like someone smeared vaseline on my screen. Imagine if resistance can pull off it's crisp visuals why can't Haze?

RoH said:
Some of you GAFers are awfully picky! I mean come on lets stare at the ground textures for 20 mins, or look the tree are not the Real!!!!!1. Sure this may not be a AAA a title but its going to be a solid shooter, you may not really like the story, but damn most of NeoGAF can't stand to watch a 46 second cut-scene.

Erm, there's a hell of a lot more wrong with the game than just the graphics. The gameplay is dire.

besada

Banned
Alf-Life said:
Interesting that people are calling out the 'bad writing' when in fact, it looks like they're going for a Starship Troopers vibe (from recent Ubi advertising)... and obviously want these guys to be satisfying to kill when you turn on them. :p

The dialogue of the soldiers isn't even on par with Starship Troopers (the movie), which is pretty much the definition of writing soldiers in a ham-handed way. I enjoyed the demo, but someone should have fire Rob Yescombe a long time ago, because he can't write very well.

I get their intent. Mantel is evil, soldiers are stupid, etc. They just executed poorly.

besada

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Talked to anybody in the army lately? It's perfect, given that this game is a satire on the current military.

Yeah, unlike you and Rob Yescombe apparently, I know any number of people who serve in various branches of the armed forces. And none of them speak like that. Not a one. Most of them are professional soldiers who take their jobs and the moral quandries inherent in them very seriously.

Yescombe's set himself up a big bad villain, drawn in shades of black and white, while simultaneously telling the press about how sophisticated the story is. It's bullshit. The story is every bit as puerile as any I've seen in a videogame.

rod

Banned
yeah, cant say id agree with dark on that one either, haze's blur makes it look like an SD game totally

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
kiUNiT said:
You prefer a blurred image with edge enhancement to a clean higher resolution image with some aliasing? I can't say I agree with you on this.I know jaggies suck but they do mostly disapear during movement and gameplay, where the blurry image used in this game looks like someone smeared vaseline on my screen. Imagine if resistance can pull off it's crisp visuals why can't Haze?

Exactly the last couple weeks is the first time I've heard people say blur INCREASES image quality, I'm sorry but I"ll take a jaggies ANYDAY over any kind of bluryness.

I can't believe someone posted a picture of Halo3 to compare to this trash, there is no comparison jsut look at it, it almost makes me ill.

besada said:
Yeah, unlike you and Rob Yescombe apparently, I know any number of people who serve in various branches of the armed forces. And none of them speak like that. Not a one. Most of them are professional soldiers who take their jobs and the moral quandries inherent in them very seriously.

Well, gee, if you know "any number" of of people who are actually good soldiers, then they must all be good soldiers. I guess that whole Abu Ghraib thing must have been a dream.

dark10x

I like blur filters, what can I say? I do not think Haze is a great example or anything, but it's not THAT bad.

besada

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Well, gee, if you know "any number" of of people who are actually good soldiers, then they must all be good soldiers. I guess that whole Abu Ghraib thing must have been a dream.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that soldiers never engaged in bad actions. But there's a big difference between that and the meat-headed retards that Rob Yescombe wrote. Sorry if it offends you, but it's just bad writing. Making your villains faceless purveyors of evil without cause is always bad writing.

slider

I wouldn't look for too much depth from Haze and I definitely wouldn't take it too seriously. It's pretty obvious where it's being pitched at. If the NPCs annoy you it's safe to say that it isn't pitched at you!

Having said that, I really can see why people would be annoyed. But there are other attempts and media to address the horror of war.

Word.

a.wd

lets not get into a moral debate on the army, focus on the game, which is poor, and for all those saying

"dont judge a game by its demo"

give me a fucking break, what else are you supposed to judge it by? Hopes and dreams?

in that case I have this bag of magic beans which will make you rich important and a virile but sensitive lover.

besada

Banned
slider said:
I wouldn't look for too much depth from Haze and I definitely wouldn't take it too seriously. It's pretty obvious where it's being pitched at. If the NPCs annoy you it's safe to say that it isn't pitched at you!

The problem is that FR promised us a story that WASN'T black and white or simplisitc. Waiting all this time, that's the one thing they supposedly had that wasn't like other shooters. From what I've seen though, all that got cut in favor of racist jokes.

slider

besada said:
The problem is that FR promised us a story that WASN'T black and white or simplisitc. Waiting all this time, that's the one thing they supposedly had that wasn't like other shooters. From what I've seen though, all that got cut in favor of racist jokes.

Yeah, point taken. I'm hoping that there are some shades of grey in the switch from evil corporation -> rebels. And actually, even in the demo I found parts that were a bit more subtle and which contrasted with the banter of the other troops.

I think I posted it before but there was a stage in the demo where some aircraft fly in and bomb a valley and the game nicely removes your visor so you got a sense of distancing yourself from the killing. But maybe I was the only one who saw it like that and it only had that effect on me; I'm occasionally the sensitive type.

There was also some dead bodies disappearing (which was rather clumsily done) and also just before you're evac'ed I'd had an encounter with some rebels. Their dead bodies rolled down a slope and as I approached they disappeared.

Hmm, I'm probably looking at it too hard.

The one thing I can't forget is these are the guys that gave us the monkeys in TS2.

dark10x

lets not get into a moral debate on the army, focus on the game, which is poor, and for all those saying

"dont judge a game by its demo"
Who exactly is saying that?

sajj316

dark10x said:

I like blur filters, what can I say? I do not think Haze is a great example or anything, but it's not THAT bad.

In playing the demo about 5 times, I think the term for Haze visuals is soft. They must be using some form of aliasing as the low res textures are actually blended well. For example, in the begining of the demo move over to the left where the water is. Look down at the rocks. There isn't much variety there with the rocks but it is smooth as heck. I can understand if blur is used to capture the essence of distance and motion blur is used to capture the essence of speed and movement. I'm of the opinion that having the game run sub 600p and then have your hardware upscale to 720p or 1080i/p just w/o some form of aliasing would be a jaggy nightmare. I guess the decision was either sharp/bad jaggies or smooth/few jaggies. One also wonders what caused this game to go sub 600p considering that there isn't all the much going onscreen. Again, this is just a demo and it might be utter chaos in later stages. I'm still a little confused on some of the game design decisions but then again, I wasn't in the meetings when FR decided on this route. We don't know what technical hurdles they needed to jump over to get this at a rock solid framerate but obvious sacrifices were made.

dark10x said:
so it seems!

to me, the IQ of the Halo 3 shot >> than the IQ of the Haze shot.

i haven't had a chance to play the game yet, and i will probably tonight. really hoping to like it as a big Timesplitters fan... but... ugh.

is a PC version possible at some point?

Amon37

The only problem I have with the demo that I hope isn't extended to the rest of the game is the fact you can only see the enemies while on nectar.

I don't want to play through the whole game killing red blobs. Other than that I don't see how the gameplay was "dire". That's a liitle over dramatic but this is GAF. It played like a FPS to me.

Dibbz

OK so I went in expecting nothing at all, but tbh I was pleasently suprised. The dialogue for the team mates are what I was expecting but the voice acting and dialogue stand out for the main guy.

The game is pretty fun and it does looks really interesting. I wanna see those so called "animals" that were screaming. And what was that Nectar disruption thing all about? Very interesting stuff going on. A really good demo overall and tbh I wanna play more to find out whats going on.

Dissapointed with the overall look of the game. The resolution looks waaay to low and it seems that they try to compensate with blurring it out. Overall the visuals could have been better but they're not terrible.

A solid game but nothing I'd want to spend £40 on.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Halo 3 looks much better than this. I find it funny that people would defend Haze that way.

And i don't need screenshots, i just boot up both consoles and see for myself, Haze looks decent at best.

Salazar

Still a buy, but it's a good thing for Haze that May is otherwise kind of empty. I'm pretty hungry for some new shooter action - to the point that I'm considering picking up Timeshift.

Fucking wow - those older screens of Haze are pretty, though.

Pug

plagiarize said:
so it seems!

to me, the IQ of the Halo 3 shot >> than the IQ of the Haze shot.

i haven't had a chance to play the game yet, and i will probably tonight. really hoping to like it as a big Timesplitters fan... but... ugh.

is a PC version possible at some point?

The IQ of HALO3 is miles better than Haze, no doubts about that.

Top Bottom