• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Demo is up on EU store !

Guys, anyone know why the game looks so blurry? Could it be my TV? I have a 46" 1080P Sharp Aquos through HDMI with all the resolution boxes checked...

Looks nothing like videos released so far :(

Bebpo

Banned
swtg6e.jpg

I want to play this game!

Solid demo. I might go for it... if I don't, I certainly will when it drops to 39.99.

It does look pretty blurry on my Aquos, normally PS3 games are razor sharp.

KurowaSan

although capturing ps3 screens via component cables is not exactly the epitome of sharpness, the game is indeed blurrier than what i usually get.

24n0eio.jpg

edited: i like this one better :D

10nb4nm.jpg

Troidal

Teetris said:
I really liked it, much better than I thought it would be. I only miss a sprint button though.

My expectations were just about spot on, and yeah I do miss a sprint button.

I think I read that you move faster with the Nectar, and I sort of felt that but I expected my guy to be running with the blur effect going.

I had to leave for work this morning so I haven't finished it and just really looked and played very briefly, so hope to sit down and spend some time with it tonight :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After trying it, I think the IQ is actually pretty good. It is blurry, but the edges are extremely clean for the most part. It's not a bad looking game at all. Certainly well beyond what people were suggesting earlier in the thread.

Reasonably fun as well. Doesn't feel like a standout, however.

Oneself

Just played the entire demo and I don't think it's bad, it's average. Nothing like Resistance but much better than shit like Blacksite or Turok for example.

rabhw

dark10x said:
After trying it, I think the IQ is actually pretty good. It is blurry, but the edges are extremely clean for the most part. It's not a bad looking game at all. Certainly well beyond what people were suggesting earlier in the thread.

Yeah...I was experiencing the exact opposite in regards to edge quality. The best way I can describe it (that you would surely understand) is that it's like playing Crysis without any EdgeAA turned on. The edges of all of the tree leaves look ragged like cardboard cutouts, severe aliasing on them. But maybe it's the result of a 576p signal getting stretched to 1080p ;\

FrankT

dark10x said:

I totally do not understand reasonably fun. Played through single and with 3 others just not seeing that fun factor at all and the voice acting my gosh. The mediocre personal reviews here seem to sum it up best. The storyline is the only question I have left at this point.

On a side note with the pic above. Uncharted looks so good

KZObsessed

ok loaded up the demo.

First thought: "wow these graphics are poor" Everything looked so.. low res. Wasn't too impressed. I started to think it looked better further through the demo. I thought it looked ok overall.

Actually playing through it tho, I found it quite fun. The controls were great, I liked the application of Nectar and the shooting/killing enemies was satisfying. The A.I seemed to be very poor unfortunately, but story wise there could be some interesting questions asked from what I've gathered through interviews. Online multiplayer might be somewhat enjoyable.

Co-op through the game could be fun, but the demo basically re-affirmed for me that I'll pick it up when it's budget price.

Concept17

After playing through most of the demo (only did coop) I enjoyed the gameplay. The guns feel great. Everything else was fairly average, and the dialogue was awful. I'll need a MP demo before buying into this at 60$. Being FR I have high hopes for TS-like MP. (I really want to play as the rebels as well)

Had Uncharted and Crysis never come out, I could probly appreciate the jungle a bit more. But I can't help but compare it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oneself said:
Just played the entire demo and I don't think it's bad, it's average. Nothing like Resistance but much better than shit like Blacksite or Turok for example.
Blacksite gets too much shit. It's not really a bad game on the PC. Not great, mind you, but not bad. It feels a bit better than Haze.

revolverjgw said:
Solid demo. I might go for it... if I don't, I certainly will when it drops to 39.99.

It does look pretty blurry on my Aquos, normally PS3 games are razor sharp.

same here. i got an aquos too and the demo looks blurry and low res. voice acting is really robotic and slow. "HI..........HEY......SUP..................................................I USED TO BE A BOXER........" *DIES*

KurowaSan

criesofthepast said:
same here. i got an aquos too and the demo looks blurry and low res. voice acting is really robotic and slow. "HI..........HEY......SUP..................................................I USED TO BE A BOXER........" *DIES*

well, give him a break, he's dying :lol

btw, if anyone is curious about the game or is lazy enough not to create an european account, i'll leave the video I captured uploading tonight (~15 min 720p/30fps
can't say i wasn't tempted to downscale it to 576p
, kinda big though, 450mb. I don't have anything useful to do with my connection tonight :p, so i'll just upload it). I'll post it tomorrow.

jjasper

Just played through it. I thought it was fun. I don't know if I will buy it at full price though.

I Don't see why people say it sucks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nobody loved the Nectar as much as me? I really loved holding the trigger (felt like a needle or something) and the sound effects and the timing of it.

Y2Kev said:
Nobody loved the Nectar as much as me? I really loved holding the trigger (felt like a needle or something) and the sound effects and the timing of it.

I do but it makes it easier to spot and kill people and the AI is easy to shoot since they just basically stand there to get shot unless they were already shooting at someone. Then they just run back and forth. :lol They Need more life ;o

and that was on Hard Difficulty too.

If anyone from the Haze team is reading this thread, please fire everyone responsible for the dialogue. I actually had to stop playing the demo due to the incessant, poorly written and awfully acted banter amongst the troops. I might try it again later with the speech off and subtitles on.

DMPrince said:
May 20th

lol @ Sharp owners. i wish i had half blur and half sharp with the lack of AA present in the game. :lol

what's so bad about Sharp??!! :cries:

i was one of the supporters of haze before this demo. it was one of my most anticipated titles, but the demo just didn't live up to my expectations, which were probably unfairly too high to begin with. i think i'm just being spoiled recently with GT5:p graphics and the epic-ness of GTAIV that i'll have to give the demo another shot again in 2 weeks once things have died down a bit and see if i still feel the same.

marvelharvey said:
If anyone from the Haze team is reading this thread, please fire everyone responsible for the dialogue. I actually had to stop playing the demo due to the incessant, poorly written and awfully acted banter amongst the troops. I might try it again later with the speech off and subtitles on.

I'm sure it's no worse than what was in Army of Two ;)

Troidal

That's what happens when Euro developers try to emulate American dialogue...it just sounds either like a redneck fool or some surfer dude.

WrikaWrek

Banned
marvelharvey said:

Most fun i had with my pants on *kills*

Lol....or not.

rabhw said:
Yeah...I was experiencing the exact opposite in regards to edge quality. The best way I can describe it (that you would surely understand) is that it's like playing Crysis without any EdgeAA turned on. The edges of all of the tree leaves look ragged like cardboard cutouts, severe aliasing on them. But maybe it's the result of a 576p signal getting stretched to 1080p ;\

nah, it looks bad at 720p as well. especially the trees and vines.

jjasper

ok I just tried it online. I liked it enough to buy if I knew I had 3 other people to play coop with. Fun stuff.

xray49er

Played through the demo. i didnt like the controls they felt a little floaty and something seemed off( I need to get a ds3). It looked pretty good. I will definalety rent it but thats as far as i can go

sajj316

Bebpo said:
swtg6e.jpg

I want to play this game!

I'm wondering if this maybe due to the fact I've downloaded the game from my EU PSN account and played on a North American TV? Does that even matter? Just trying to figure out why the game is a bit on the blurry side.

I quite like the game contrary to most people here. Will probably pick it up during the wait for Resistance 2. Dualshock 3 implementation is pretty good too.

Ashhong

KurowaSan said:
although capturing ps3 screens via component cables is not exactly the epitome of sharpness, the game is indeed blurrier than what i usually get.

how do you capture screens?

KurowaSan

It's up. 720p/30fps mp4 encoded in h264/aac. Should be playable and downloadable using the ps3 browser (if anyone is indeed using the ps3 browser, the download usually stops the first time you try, so you have to go to the Download Manager and force it to retry.).

http://files.filefront.com/Haze+demo+720p/;10147480;/fileinfo.html

The mp4 is kinda big, 467mb (~15 minutes of gameplay). Streaming version will take a while to be ready.

EDIT. I was playing having the front speakers behind me, and that also means that left was right. Got confused a couple of times :lol

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
It'll probably end up as a rental for me or a discount buy.

I'm hoping the graphics improve for the final game. All of the videos I've seen have looked a bit better than the demo, so who knows what it will actually turn out like.

sajj316

Just played through the demo and the game was fun to play. The graphics are really poor in this game. It maybe that Ubi fed the media bullshot after bullshot but when comparing to recent screens, I'm left baffled at the lack of sharpness. Is this how the final product will look? If so, I might just pass this up. I hope someone from Free Radical is reading this as I think I share a like opinion as the rest of GAF. I really like you guys (Free Radical) but this is not what I expected out of you or the PS3.

I see that some that have posted in this thread swear they are playing a different game then the one I'm describing or have shown in screenshots (in this thread). What am I doing wrong here? I play on a HDTV that is LCD with a PS3 connected via HDMI. I've ran the game at 720p and 1080i with pretty much the same results. I downloaded it from my EU account so I'm wondering if there are issues with running a demo that is intended for a PAL region.

I compared this to the Preview video on Gametrailers. It seems like the whole game will be a low res affair :(

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33207.html

GeoramA

Pretty solid demo. I really like how you have to depend on nectar if you want to survive.

darkressurection said:
I quite like the game contrary to most people here. Will probably pick it up during the wait for Resistance 2. Dualshock 3 implementation is pretty good too.
The rumble feels very nice in Haze, certainly better than other two games I've been playing: GTAIV and MGO.

...I'm with Y2Kev on this one :D

Will get the lame outta da way first:

- Visuals really are sub-par...there is just no getting around it. Maybe this could be remedied somewhat if this game was running at native 1280x720p. But yeah, the unconventional Resolution (Haze indeed LAWL) in tandem with the low-res texturework, really hurts this game on a technical level...
...Hell at least have the game run at 60fps like prior Free Radical titles then!

- There is absolutely NO USE of the D-Pad at all...what the fuck FR? ...maybe I'd like to map my weapon switching to it ya know?

- Menu presentation is a bit on the generic side...maybe it's just placeholder and not final

- No option to turn up the look sensitivity =(

...Now on to the good!

+ Despite the initial reaction to the "Hazey" (LAWL LAWL!) graphics, eventually you get used to their faults and start to notice the good-great things the game does like: The use of the first person camera during cinematic effects. The special effects associated when using Nectar. The suttle motion blur applied in certain parts and of course the locked 30fps...not to mention the art direction, which I personally do like.

+ Good gunplay! especially when your juiced up and laying waste to rebels and getting that extra jolt with each one...you feel rather evil doing it when you know the context of what's going on, and I appreciated that duality. Weapons feel responsive and satisfying as well...

+ Controls are mostly smooth, though as I said, wish I could turn up the sensitivity...like CoD4 on "High" speed ....and this can't be stressed enough, GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU FREE RADICAL FOR FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS !!!!!

+ I actually liked the banter for the most part. Only because it's supposed to make the Mantel Mercenaries sound arrogant and ignorant...so it succeeded there

+ Sound is overall good! kudos for implentation of DTS sound....though i'm sure there was plenty of room left on that Blu-ray for it judging from the textues (OMG LAWL BUUURN!)

Anyway, I'll wait and see how the reviews turn out, but the thing that always attracted me to Haze in the first place, was the dystopian setting ala Equilibrium, 1984, etc ...

Foil

marvelharvey said:

Agreed. I enjoyed the demo, but the voice work is painfully bad in the way it's written and the way it's delivered. Kinda kills the atmosphere of the game, imo.

I kinda don't like the ally AI. they keep coming in front of my line of fire. I accidentally shoot my ally in the back twice making them go crazy and start shooting at me

Sean

Banned
Is this demo gonna be up on the American PSN store this week? I don't feel like creating a European account just to try this.

Stealth

Wow... that video totally has me questioning the game now. I hope it's a very old build, for FR's sake. An enemy gets caught on the environment and starts clipping in the opening firefight, one of your merc buddies actually quotes Vanilla effing ICE shortly after (listen for it: "if you got a problem, I'll solve it" -- I cannot make this shit up), and that cutscene about 6-7 minutes in was godawful. "Just an animal!" "Then... we'll get some chow!"

The game does seem to be smooth in terms of motion, interface, and control, but the graphics really are a bit jarring. It's like when an Unreal Engine game first loads up and not all the fancy textures and filters have filled... only the fancy textures and filters never do show up here. In the past, that's been fine for FR games, since 'splitters is understandably cartoony and Second Sight had a cool bit of story and gameplay working for it and by that point we got that the look was just FR's schtick. Here, though, it's like they couldn't decide to go all the way with the realism or just keep some of that whimsical style their PS2 games had. And when it's 2008 and we've seen Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and promises of Resistance 2 and Killzone 2, that doesn't quite cut the mustard.

On the other hand, the character models are very good looking... but they just cycle through canned animations. Watch the cutscene about 9 minutes in, when you address your squadmates. They move and act robotic, which is only compounded by the silly dialog. The pilot's monologue had me itching to shut off the video--I can't imagine how that would be if I had been playing.

Which is a shame, really. Haze has some cool ideas but from the looks of it they won't be implementing them in a unique way. The game seems to follow the conceit of you being the X factor, pushing whatever side you're on to victory in what would otherwise be an AI standoff. Obviously being a game it should make sense that you killing the enemy = progression, but the deus ex machina of it all feels more exposed than in, say, CoD4; that game's intensely scripted events had you focusing more on surviving the mission than Haze appears to, where the combat seems more like a joyride through a shooting gallery. Again, though, I'm basing this off a 14 minute video and not first-hand impressions. It could very well be a visceral game... I just don't see it coming across that way. It's still a game I'll be keeping an eye on, but right now it's looking like a rental at best. Prove us wrong, FR.

Top Bottom