• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Demo is up on EU store !

FabCam

R1 for shooting is FAR better than R2.

Having played singly through on medium and twice on co-op hard I can draw these conclusions:

+MUCH better than I thought it would be
+GFX and sound are top notch and voice overs are humorous
+I love that everything is in first person, even the cut scenes
+Looking through your visor gives it a nice professional touch (a la Metroid)
+Co-op is a tonne of fun, can't wait to play more
+Difficulty is perfect, Hard is challenging but I can't wait to unlock very hard
+Story looks to be interesting
+Nectar is a real innovative thing, adds a new experience to a drawn out genre
+Guns "feel" good. Good recoil, nice animations, nice sounds and the feel different from each other
+There's an actual health bar instead of just colour drainage from the screen.

-The throwing grenade animation is poor compared to the rest of the animation
-It needs a better hit detection thing. It's hard to distinguish between the arrows pointing to comrades and the arrows pointing in the direction from you're being shot.

Overall:

A lot of fun and a lot better than I expected. I always had hope seeing as it's made be Free Rad, but this demo has definitely made me interested in the game. Definite buy for me.

bj00rn

Banned
PLayed the demo and found that the game is trying really hard and has some promising sides to it, but I feel that it falls a little on the bland/generic side unfortunately. The Haze dev team is a small team though, right? The game sort of hints of limited resources. I see a 7.6 across the board, but I may be talking out of my ass.. We'll see, it's a demo afterall...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I really liked it, much better than I thought it would be. I only miss a sprint button though.

Dave1988

I've played through the demo twice and tried the multi-plat segment, and....

I don't know what to write.

This demo is not bad, but it's not good either. It's somewhere in between.

FR better get back to making Time Splitters.

Xater

I have to agree with the guy who said Turok was more fun than this.

@Fabcam: Youve got to be shitting me. Especially the "top notch GFX". There are so many better looking games out there. The textures alone are killing me.

FabCam

Xater said:
@Fabcam: Youve got to be shitting me. Especially the "top notch GFX". There are so many better looking games out there. The textures alone are killing me.

Nothing noticeable. Maybe not top notch, but they're far from bad. Better than Turok if you compare FPS jungle.

I only miss a sprint button though.

Use Nectar, it makes you run faster.

Dave1988

chris0701 said:
wow.

There are two sides of opinion about the generic HAZE,between gameplay/design and visual.

What is wrong with it ?

Why don't you download the demo and find out?

Om3ga

Isn't most of the game going to be played as a rebel? They should have gave you one level as a Mantel Soldier and one Level as a Rebel.

Impressions so far seem to be more positive then negative, but the game could become completely broken for the rebel stages.

oh well, we'll see.

Xater

f@luS said:
it looks and looked blurry at 1st sight for me.

Yep.

The horible textures and the bad LOD don't help the graphics at all either. I can't belive no one else notices the LOD besides me...

Normally GAFers are so nitpicky.

zoku88

So, what's the reason that this isn't on US PSN >_<

I don't really feel like making an account, so they better put up a demo on US PSN sometime...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder if the use of these lower resolutions has anything to do with scaling for 1080i? Maybe that's just a stretch, but it seems that as soon as people demanding 1080i support, we started getting bullshit resolutions.

Just an idea, I guess...

FabCam

Xater said:
Yep.

The horible textures and the bad LOD don't help the graphics at all either. I can't belive no one else notices the LOD besides me...

What is LOD? It doesn't look bad IMO. Not amazing, but far from eye hurting.

2real4tv

Yeah Iam a little disappointed in the graphics but the gameplay seems like it can be fun. i know this is FR first ps3 game but why does it seem like we are taking a step back in reference to resolutions?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
f@luS said:
it looks and looked blurry at 1st sight for me.

the screen titles yes.... But the game looked really nice. 576p no AA means a shitload of jaggies, that I don't see on this one.
See why I don't get it?

Or my tv must be a heck of an upscaler.

Xater

FabCam said:
What is LOD? It doesn't look bad IMO. Not amazing, but far from eye hurting.

Level of detail. The technique used to reduce detail over distances which is horrible here.

FrankT

spyshagg said:
the screen titles yes.... But the game looked really nice. 576p no AA means a shitload of jaggies, that I don't see on this one.
See why I don't get it?

Or my tv must be a heck of an upscaler.

Must be playing a different game. Just take one look at the grass and the helmet when it's up.

sajj316

dark10x said:
I wonder if the use of these lower resolutions has anything to do with scaling for 1080i? Maybe that's just a stretch, but it seems that as soon as people demanding 1080i support, we started getting bullshit resolutions.

Just an idea, I guess...

Excellent point you have there. I wonder what the game looks like in when you configure for 1080i versus 720p. There was a huge difference with the original Vegas. Some say its blurry, others say its sharp.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jtyettis said:
Must be playing a different game. Just take one look at the grass and the helmet when it's up.
I noticed it was quite blurry, but considering the low resolution of the game, it seems pretty smooth (at least based on the captures).

10nb4nm.jpg

antiloop

Looks pretty good in screens. Can see the blur though.

wow at 50% thinking it's good and the other half thinking it's bad. It's usually 90% vs 10% or 10% vs 90%.

Defcon

Banned
:lol It's pretty damn awful. I was laughing out loud at the pilot scene.

About the only thing I really like is the pistol. It feels like a railgun of sorts. Seriously, this is a run of the mill FPS with the nectar gimmick thrown in, which I didn't find very compelling to be honest. The dialogue totally put me off from even renting it. Ugh.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:

Just an idea, I guess...

I think it has more to do with people demanding 30fps...

Haze is nice and smooth but at the cost of sharp nice graphics.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo said:
I think it has more to do with people demanding 30fps...

Haze is nice and smooth but at the cost of sharp nice graphics.

Bullshit. It's programming talent and budgetary restrictions that's to blame here. Burnout Paradise is 720p/60 FPS and has textures and geometry that destroy Haze.

There's no viable reason for FRD to have dropped the res as they have given what they are pushing on screen.

MikeB

Banned
WinFonda said:
Want more impressions before downloading. The consensus seems to be favorable, which is surprising. The Turok comment worries me, though

This is IMO so much better than Turok, at least when comparing demos. I disliked the PS3 Turok demo and I was anticipating that game as I really liked the original Turok game I had for my distant past 3DFX powered PC, this felt pretty cool and looks good too. I wasn't planning on buying this game as there's so much other amazing stuff coming. I will await the reviews to make my final judgement, but I now think it's likely I am going to get this one. :)

dralla

I like how you can access your PSN list mid-game and send/receive invites. other than that, uhh...yea, it's ok

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Bullshit. It's programming talent and budgetary restrictions that's to blame here. Burnout Paradise is 720p/60 FPS and has textures and geometry that destroy Haze.

There's no viable reason for FRD to have dropped the res as they have given what they are pushing on screen.

I meant in this specific game.

I'm sure they dropped the res to get their 30fps like how GTAIV dropped theirs to get 25fps (instead of who knows how low)

Jim

There's a few minor elements missing AA (the visor, some foliage), but there is definitely some form of selective AA going on. Sorta Halo 3-like.

AKS

If you zoom in or stare at the ground or close-up of a tree, the lower resolutions are noticeable, but if you're doing that, you're playing this game wrong. It actually looks quite good unless you constantly zoom in for closeups of textures, which isn't the way I typically play 4-player co-op battles.

Regardless, the most important thing about Haze is that it's a lot of fun to play and that the 4-player co-op works really well.

It's also important to note that there are several features to this game that FR has been talking up that we haven't had a chance to see yet. Asymmetrical gameplay and multiplayer are two of the most obvious ones, but they've also claimed that there's basically no loading between levels to keep up the pace. That sounds like a very welcome feature to me.

I agree that the resolution could be better, at least 720p, but it's really not that noticeable during actual gameplay and there are a lot of other redeeming qualities to this game graphics whores are overlooking, many of which we haven't even had the chance to trying out yet.

I meant in this specific game.

I'm sure they dropped the res to get their 30fps like how GTAIV dropped theirs to get 25fps (instead of who knows how low)
But why did they have to drop to such low visual detail when they're only hitting 30FPS? Where's the power being used? This looks and runs worse than a lot of other shooters.

why is everyone's game looking blurry. mine's just sharp and I play spot the non-jag spot

Because it's running at a really low resolution, without AA.

Well I'll be sure to throw up some thorough impressions tonight when I get home...especially in regards to visuals....hooked up via HDMI on 40" Bravia btw

rabhw

This game is pretty shitty. It's a visual mess, the environments are totally static, you can walk through objects that are meant to be solid. The only reason the nectar gimmick is useful is because the enemies are hard to see. There is nothing dynamic at all about the gameplay, it's super linear, and really enclosed.

The only two good things are the audio being in DTS, and the framerate being decent.

:(

Nizz

AgentOtaku said:
Well I'll be sure to throw up some thorough impressions tonight when I get home...especially in regards to visuals....hooked up via HDMI on 40" Bravia btw
Thanks! Always look forward to your impressions. You did a nice job when Stranglehold was released for PS3. :D And let's all rejoice in the fact that FRD chose R1 to shoot. Maybe something unimportant to some people but it means the world to me. Christ, why can't all fps/3rd person shooters on PS3 use R1?

AKS

fps fanatic said:
Thanks! Always look forward to your impressions. You did a nice job when Stranglehold was released for PS3. :D And let's all rejoice in the fact that FRD chose R1 to shoot. Maybe something unimportant to some people but it means the world to me. Christ, why can't all fps/3rd person shooters on PS3 use R1?

You can customize the button functions however you like, which is great. I tuned mine to a Resistance-like setup. I hope you can save your own personal configuration in the final copy.

AKS

Y2Kev said:
thread is bipolar

I think half haven't left the starting point and are counting pixels and taking close-up screenshots of textures as "evidence" that this is a terrible game. :lol

The other half that liked it just played through the demo and discovered it's pretty fun to play, especially on hard difficulty with 4-player co-op. :D

RoH

I only need to know two things and one of which I already know (can access invites in game, this again leads me to believe that in game XMB will note work the way the masses are expecting it to). If this game used R1 as primary fire or I can some how make it that way, this will be a day one sale :D Is R1 primary fire?

Top Bottom