• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Demo is up on EU store !

WrikaWrek said:
Turok had a knife.

I had no probs with it.

And i don't see how the nectar is changing anything. Without the nectar you can barely see the enemies and you lose health fast, so you kick up the nectar to see better and regain health, or adrenaline, whatever, then it becomes a walk in the park.
HAZE HAS NECTAR LACED THROWING KNIVES!

oh, and i could see enemies without nectar, nectar just made them blatantly obvious to spot.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Faceless Master said:
HAZE HAS NECTAR LACED THROWING KNIVES!

oh, and i could see enemies without nectar, nectar just made them blatantly obvious to spot.

They should be a little hard to spot. It's a guerrilla force in a jungle. That the Nectar points them out makes Nectar so awesome. :D

I wasn't gonna check Haze out, and now I will. So the demo did its job.

Concept17

Dante said:
Hype? The game has been pretty much "meh'd" to death in every thread. It's nice that the impressions are pretty favorable so far.

Indeed. I think itll be released to favorable reviews. (thinkin 8 on average) My download is almost finished and I'll see for myself soon. From the sounds of things, coop is where its at.

besada said:
No, it really wasn't. Turok was slow and unwieldy, and it started in a freaking cave.

The demo did but the full game does not start in a cave, the demo section is actually a fair way through the game.

sruckus

i thought the same thing... so i did it.

right after i switched SHOOT to R2!

What IS with this trend of making shoot r1? Its a retarded decision and it angers me when developers do it (I'm looking at you infinity ward!). That needs to stop right now. Of course I also picked up what I believe a controller layout should be from my first FPS (halo3)'s control setup so I could be biased...its just...there are trigger buttons for a reason..f'ng use them!

Scotch

I agree it's better than Turok. That's about the only positive thing I can come up with.

It's not terrible, it's just... I dunno. I feel NOTHING when playing this game. It leaves me completely underwhelmed and uninterested.

Y2Kev

Oh, it has customizable controls?

Or should I say

CUSTOMISABLE

-40 POINTS OR BRITISH SPELLINZ

Tideas

Banned
Scotch said:
I agree it's better than Turok. That's about the only positive thing I can come up with.

It's not terrible, it's just... I dunno. I feel NOTHING when playing this game.

what fps demo had you feeling something? And what did you feel?

Scotch

xcrunner529 said:
What IS with this trend of making shoot r1? Its a retarded decision and it angers me when developers do it (I'm looking at you infinity ward!). That needs to stop right now. Of course I also picked up what I believe a controller layout should be from my first FPS (halo3)'s control setup so I could be biased...its just...there are trigger buttons for a reason..f'ng use them!
I think it's because the PS3 controller's triggers are the worst buttons in gaming history, and a crime against my hands.

SpokkX

Scotch said:

It's not terrible, it's just... I dunno. I feel NOTHING when playing this game. It leaves me completely underwhelmed and uninterested.

Yeah me too. This game really defines the often used term generic.

I can´t find much negative to say, but nothing positive either. It has been done before, thousands of times, and better. Nothing stands out as excellent, feels lazy overall.

I hope FR does Timesplitters next

Y2Kev said:
Oh, it has customizable controls?

Or should I say

CUSTOMISABLE

-40 POINTS OR BRITISH SPELLINZ

yeah. that's the first thing I did. was going to remap it like COD4 since i was accustomed to that but got lazy in the process and used "Trigger Finger" Layout :lol

AKS

Tried it out. I really liked it. Not quite AAA material, but it's still very solid. I'll pick this game up when it is released.

btkadams

um... k im a little disappointed. the ts series is one of my fav series and for something so bland to come from free radical surprises me. im sure the story is cool but the gameplay is so lame. environments looked average, character models looked great. nectar was kinda cool but almost irritating that i had to keep doing it. i was going to buy this one but i might have to pass. bring on ts4

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AKS said:
Tried it out. I really liked it. Not quite AAA material, but it's still very solid. I'll pick this game up when it is released.
30 or 60fps?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just completed the demo and..... It plays very well. Not a solid 30fps but good enough. Looks very lush with lots of nice next gen type visuals but none of the scenery reacts to you. Plants and trees do not bend when your near them etc so it's a bit old school from that point of view.

The action is fast and furious and the A.I seem pretty good with the enemies trying to dodge your bullets in a more or less convincing manner.

The addition of Nectar is pretty good and adds a new twist to proceedings.

Overall. Pretty good.

xcrunner529 said:
i dunno, devs just need more configurable controls.

resistance, ut3, and now haze have lots of customization, while many other games just totally fuck it up.

Seiken said:
30 or 60fps?
30 solid.

some people said it dips a bit during smoke in explosions, but i didn't personally experience it.

f3niks

Silly question but how does someone living in the US with a US PS3 go about setting up an account in the Sony JPN and EU stores?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
chubigans said:
30, but a solid one with no slowdown.
w3ryq378whfsujgvnsdvbd

Oh well :) (Can't try demo right now)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
f3niks said:
Silly question but how does someone living in the US with a US PS3 go about setting up an account in the Sony JPN and EU stores?

Can't be that hard surely, I live in the UK and signed up for an American acc, I just created a new user-name and choose the US as my home country, as for an address Google is your friend ;-).

alterno69

Banned
I liked what i saw, i think graphics look great as a whole, lots of color and nice effects. I'm getting it.

I also tried online coop, joined 2 guys who were already in the middle of the mission, it was really smooth and grapchis looked the same, presentation was also the same in terms of story elements.

f3niks

pick a different country when signing up, and fill out the info.

lowrider007 said:
Can't be that hard surely, I live in the UK and signed up for an American acc, I just created a new user-name and choose the US as my home country, as for an address Google is your friend ;-).

Thanks to both of you. :D

I'll be giving the demo a try tonight.

NeXuSDK

I'm quite disappointed. The graphics on a whole didn't impress me with lots of blurred textures, a very rectangular jungle and not a very convincing lightning engine. And the gameplay, while it wasn't exactly bad, it didn't really do anything for me. Felt pretty generic...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
As a guy who loved Timesplitters, I'm pretty let down by this. It felt like a completely generic FPS in a decent looking environment. There's nothing in this game (except for the Nectar injections) I haven't played a thousand times before.

I was hoping that the earlier videos, which looked pretty run of the mill, would turn out like COD4. I wasn't that impressed with the gameplay in those videos either, but playing the game was a complete revelation. The gunplay and dynamics, and overall polished feel of that game blew me away. Playing Haze is like playing an average FPS from 1998 with improved visuals.

EDIT: And to define generic: Brings nothing new to the table, played a similar game 100 times before.

Defcon

Banned
Any product that can be sold without a brand name.

EDIT: And to define generic: Brings nothing new to the table, played a similar game as it 100 times before.

So a lot of games are generic then. Most recently, GTA IV could be considered generic by your definition.

CoLaN

Y2Kev said:
WHAT DOES GENERIC MEAN

It's nice to say "generic" :D

The fun thing is that the nectar makes this game more original than many others, and i honestly had fun with the demo... i played it 1 time in single player and 3 times in co-op allready, actually.

Bebpo

Banned
I didn't even finish the demo. Was pretty boring and the graphics suffered from "everything texture is low-res, basically Xbox1 visuals with more geometery & HDR" that I'm seeing in way too many PS3 games.

Pass.

On generic: I think it's just because there is no level design. Just big open jungle areas one after another with dozens of enemies...which is dull. CoD4 was like that but with more narrow linear levels with stage design and that at least made it a little better.

Y2Kev

danwarb said:

Unbelievable :lol I knew something was off. +1

I don't think it's fair to say "excepting the thing that sets this game apart from every other game, it's generic." Well no shit. There's definitely a more accurate way to criticize something problematic than just to remove it wholesale.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Defcon said:
So a lot of games are generic then. Most recently, GTA IV could be considered generic by your definition.

My definition starts with "brings nothing new to the table".

GTA4 brings so much new to the table it would take 4 pages to write it all out.

slider

Bebpo said:
On generic: I think it's just because there is no level design. Just big open jungle areas one after another with dozens of enemies...which is dull. CoD4 was like that but with more narrow linear levels with stage design and that at least made it a little better.

Well on that you pays your money and takes your choice. There's space in gaming for wide-open areas rather than a corridor shooter. Haze would've been slated if it took place in underground corridors full of crates.

Still, I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

Xater

Wow this game is even worse than expected.

- The gunplay feels horrible. The weapons have no weight at all to them.
- Character design is shit.
- ALOT of bad texture work.
- The level of detail system is shit. You go five steps away from one of your buffys and you can see the details getting away. I can't understand that with such shitty graphics.
- No AI to speak of.
- The weapons are also generic as shit.
- Nectar doesn't really add alot to the gameplay. It's more a variation on stuff that has already been done in other games.

That's the stuff I noticed on just one playthrough. I have no intention of playing any more of this. Free Radical should have done Timesplitters 4 instead. I really hope Sony didn't fork out alot of money for this.

h3ro

Well, at least Quaz found out that KZ2 is 720p based off of the shot on Gamersyde. Hopefully it stays like that...

Top Bottom