• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Demo is up on EU store !

Concept17

SolidSnakex said:
It seems to be locked at 30fps. I just completed the demo and didn't notice any slowdown.

This is what I've been expecting. A nice solid clean FPS without the usual hiccups. Hope the gameplay sticks like TS did.

bj00rn

Banned
supermackem said:
Erm can none euros get off our severs its dieing over here 1 hours for 15% thanks alot americans.

10 minutes almost 80% (I'm in Norway), so I don't think it's the americans fault. You need bigger trucks in your tubes man!

h3ro

Demo runs in DTS! Soooo much BASS! Great sound effects and music. V/A is a little corny, but it fits with the games aesthetic and story.

Dark10x, It seems like there is some motion blur being applied, but I think its used more as an effect to enhance the sensation of viewing the game through Shane's visor, as it is applied more towards the fringes of the screen, around the HUD, etc.

Co-op was pretty fun, no lag what so ever with four guys from Yurop and I'm in NY, so that was a pleasant surprise. Also, no frame dips at all, solid 30fps all around.

It was pretty standard fare overall, but I had fun with it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Jtyettis said:
This seems like maybe 60fps. Or locked 30? It's solid anyhow.

No chance is it anywhere near 60fps, pretty consistant 30fps, does dip a little in places but overule pretty smooth.

Slightly average shooter to me, 4 play co-op is what could sell this game I think, not too sure about the SP atm, I need to play it more really, it fells quite solid but nothing really grabbed me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
this is a lot of fun! i like the juicing element, really feels like you're rushing on a drug. i also like how the mantel corp. guy keeps telling you to take your drugs. seems like it's gonna be an interesting story.

i love how vibrant and slick it is so far.

CoLaN

fistfulofmetal said:

Can you explain WHY? You made 2 post in a row about it, but didn't care to explain anything (this is a serious question, i'm curious)

I'm at 60%, by the way....get off my internet :(

lowrider007

fistfulofmetal said:

wooo woooo woooo, chill for a second, tell what you didn't like, break it down a little, "Wow. That was terrible." and "Sucked." doesn't really tell us much.

Thrakier

fistfulofmetal said:
Wow.

That was terrible.

All the shit this game has been getting has been, at least for now, justified.

Getting paid by MS?? What is so bad about the game?? Graphics are very good and smooth, shooting feels very good, the whole nectar system seems to be a nice add-on, it has online coop-campaign. I don't get your bashing, I expected a good shooter and I think it's a VERY good shooter although not great like Triple-AAA.

angelfly

Demo was a waste of time. The outdoor environments looks beautiful and I hope the indoor ones look just as nice in the final game. As for the game itself it seemed pretty generic except for the necter injections. I also had a problem with some parts of the map where seeing enemies is pretty impossible since they blend so much into the map. Framerate was smooth and I noticed no drops at all. AI was nothing special and there wasn't any variety in the attacking patterns. I love Free Radical but I'm still not convinced on this one.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
'Hey, you'll find things a WHOLE lot easier with a dose of nectar in your blood.

Hit yourself up, buddy!!'
:D

angelfly said:
I also had a problem with some parts of the map where seeing enemies is pretty impossible since they blend so much into the map. Framerate was smooth and I noticed no drops at all..
looks like the game got something right, then

pswii60

73% C'monnnnnnn!

Glad to hear the framerate is solid. That's Free Radical's forté afterall, with Timesplitters being 60fps.

Has that deejay guy come in and said "meh" yet?

CoLaN said:
Can you explain WHY? You made 2 post in a row about it, but didn't care to explain anything (this is a serious question, i'm curious)

I'm at 60%, by the way....get off my internet :(

Well the AI was just bad. They used no form of intelligence and seemed ripped out of some shitty ps2 FPS.

What's bad about the demo
Graphics suck
Gameplay is boring.

It's a cliche term but it's pretty much as derivative and generic as you can get.

FrankT

angelfly said:
Demo was a waste of time. The outdoor environments looks beautiful and I hope the indoor ones look just as nice in the final game. As for the game itself it seemed pretty generic except for the necter injections. I also had a problem with some parts of the map where seeing enemies is pretty impossible since they blend so much into the map. Framerate was smooth and I noticed no drops at all. AI was nothing special and there wasn't any variety in the attacking patterns. I love Free Radical but I'm still not convinced on this one.

That is about my feelings atm. I also thought there was way too much motion blur going on for my liking. I will give it another try or 2 to firm up my initial feelings on it.

Joe211

fistfulofmetal said:
Wow.

That was terrible.

All the shit this game has been getting has been, at least for now, justified.

yep this game is awful I can't believe sony signed an exclusive deal for this shit

KurowaSan

10nb4nm.jpg

xo0b2r.jpg

2f03kog.jpg

30mmnms.jpg

ka5nxs.jpg

besada

Banned
Just finished my first run through.

Impressions:

It looks and plays well. Smooth turns, good aiming controls, a slightly anemic jump for guys in power armor, very nice lighting.

Enemies can be nearly impossible to see without Nectar. I can easily see how you'd let yourself overdose in the middle of a firefight.

Shooting glowing rebels in sniper mode is fun.

That's a whole lot of jungle. Looks pretty, but nothing really moves in it.

I wasn't impressed by the supposed difference between viewing the horrors of war with and without the helmet. Maybe that just got cut.

Your buddies are annoying. The commentary on soldiers is ham-handed at best, making them seem like retarded racist fifteen year olds.

The shotgun is nice. Even without rumble it has real weight to it. Oh, the pistol kicks ass. No wimpy pistol, but something with a big ugly round.

Pics incoming:

Complete control setup
2zioigo.jpg

Pics:
10mpfds.jpg

2h87cxk.jpg

53msmf.jpg

2ro1b8o.jpg

2ec18ax.jpg

bexbp2.jpg

nn8px1.jpg

btkadams

fistfulofmetal said:
Graphics suck

angelfly said:
The outdoor environments looks beautiful and I hope the indoor ones look just as nice in the final game.

k clearly no one can trust the people who have played it since their opinions differ. guess ill have to wait till it finishes dling.

Marconelly said:
Apparently, you can play through the demo in online co-op? That sounds pretty neat actually, did anyone try it?

yes. there's offline and Online you can play how you want. it's the same campaign.

there's a game lobby that you can join other people's game at any time.

One major perk is 2 player split screen can play together online with 2 other people.

BeeDog

Well, what to say. It plays pretty decently, the weapons sound great and have a great "oomph" to them. The graphics are nice, solid framerate (although some very small dips when a lot of grenade smoke, nothing dangerous at all), some nice use of motion blur, but the jungle is somewhat too static and the artwork isn't my cup of tea. Also, the game uses texture streaming, so while loading you will see some temp textures that are pretty crappy.

Gameplaywise, it's nothing to hurray about. The enemies sure seem to want to rush you hard, but they are extremely easy to kill, and the Nectar overpowers you like hell. The voice acting is the cheesiest shit I've heard in a good while too.

I guess it's decent, what surprised me the most was that the game didn't run as crappy as the previous trailers suggested.

BeeDog

h3ro said:
What kind of capture equipment are you using? I don't have those jaggies around the helmet HUD on my screen...

I saw the jaggies on the helmet myself, but overall the image is very sharp and clean (surprisingly so).

lowrider007

angelfly said:
I also had a problem with some parts of the map where seeing enemies is pretty impossible since they blend so much into the map

I could be wrong but isn't that why you inject the nectar, so then you can have the advantage and see you enemies glow yellow ?

I want to know what difficulty people are playing with.

If it's anything like other FR games, Hard and Extra Hard will be tough as hell, which doesn't sound like what has been posted.

Tailzo

Gameplay felt like nothing exciting at all. I mean, it felt just ok, but that's it. The controls were fine, albeit standard, the nectar only gave you a sort of boost, and you could see the ennemies glowing, that's it. Generic bad guys popped up everywhere, but the stiff environements, non-exciting story and very generic feel to it all made it feel like "oh, another fps...".

from the impressions so far, it sounds like it turned out how I hoped it would...as in, a solid FPS for shooter fans such as myself

...that's A-Ok with me...will download when I head up for lunch break

Majmun

The game looks and plays better than expected. It's nothing groundbreaking, just fun.

The VA is horrible though.

I think it was very solid, and has potential. Moves super-smooth, and looks pretty good. The Nectar effects are cool, and help you view enemies in the jungle, and like someone said I can see people OD'ing on the stuff, at least in this level. Definetly not a waste of time, like one person said, and it definetly doesn't suck, like another one said. I can see why the main character revolts against his unit; those guys are serious assholes, lol. I would love to play it within the proper context, though, to get a better feel for the story. The gunplay could use a little tweaking, but overall I thought it was pretty good.

BeeDog said:
Gameplaywise, it's nothing to hurray about. The enemies sure seem to want to rush you hard, but they are extremely easy to kill, and the Nectar overpowers you like hell.
I guess (hope) this is the first level of the game, so would expect them to be easy to kill.

I can see myself buying this when it comes out. The demo has the same functional but good vibe that Resistance had first time I played it, and I ended up enjoying that game.

haha with all that stuff about ODing and enhancing accuracy with drugs, this game ought to show this screen when starting the game, like on old arcade machines

Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I need some kind of "ready weapon" trigger....I'm so used to it in GTA, CoD, Gears, etc. that this just feels like I'm naked out there.

Why is it so blurry, too? Looks like N64 game edges. The forest tree tops are really blurry.

Top Bottom