• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HD ADVs: The Unknown War - The Players, The Casualties, The Girls

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
InfiniteNine said:
I'm not going to discount something because it has sex! Fate/Stay Night was a wonderful read, as well as Sharin no Kuni! Muramasa is supposed to be amazing so I can't wait to dig into that as well.

Also to other people with great taste in the English-only Visual Novel community:
Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Chiru EP6 Dawn of the Golden Witch translation patch is available!
Excuse me Ice Cream for using your topic to say this.

Do you know any good visual novels/eroge for the iPhone? I really want to try one. :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ULTROS! said:
Do you know any good visual novels/eroge for the iPhone? I really want to try one. :p
I know Gift and KiraKira are available in English on the iPhone. I can only recommend KiraKira so far since I've read about half of it, but it's an All-Ages versions you can read in public without worry! It's pretty hilarious once the band gets started, but it gets more serious as it goes on depending on the route you take.

zoku88

InfiniteNine said:
I know Gift and KiraKira are available in English on the iPhone. I can only recommend KiraKira so far since I've read about half of it, but it's an All-Ages versions you can read in public without worry! It's pretty hilarious once the band gets started, but it gets more serious as it goes on depending on the route you take.
Any on android >.>

...Didn't think so.

zoku88

InfiniteNine said:
It looks like ONscripter is getting ported to Android, so any game that runs using the On/Nscripter engine should be available when it's done.

Actually it looks like there are already releases:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/katane/20100601/1275345448
Ah, just the source code, it looks like. Not the apk.

What notable titles are on it? I've heard of Tsukihime and Saya no Uta (might have gotten that name wrong.)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
zoku88 said:
Ah, just the source code, it looks like. Not the apk.

What notable titles are on it? I've heard of Tsukihime and Saya no Uta (might have gotten that name wrong.)
Some that I've played that I remember for the moment are:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Umineko no Naku Koro ni CHIRU
Narcissu Series
Saya no Uta
Fate/Stay Night (Ported to ONscripter for the DS)
Tsukihime
Kagetsu Tohya (More of a silly side story for Tsukihime.)

It's kinda hard to remember which game runs on what Engine, so some research on your part might be required.

zoku88

InfiniteNine said:
Some that I've played and remember are:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Umineko no Naku Koro ni CHIRU
Narcissu Series
Saya no Uta
Fate/Stay Night (Ported to ONscripter for the DS)
Tsukihime
Kagetsu Tohya (More of a silly side story for Tsukihime.)
Oh Fate was ported? And this port would work for anything that ran ONscripter, no matter the platform?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
zoku88 said:
Oh Fate was ported? And this port would work for anything that ran ONscripter, no matter the platform?
I converted Umineko to run at PSP resolution and it runs fine when I launch it from a PC as well. So you should be good to go! Not sure about DS conversions though since they use the bottom screen for text. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Doesn't look like the VNDS project runs with ONScripter code. Made an assumption since most of them seem to be ONscripter games, but Fate is converted for the PSP, so it should run fine on an Android phone or other things that have the ONscripter engine.

Great thread, nice to have all this info in one place :) I was gonna post a thread earlier asking for PS1/Saturn ADV recommendations, any thoughts on doing a 32-bit version of this thread? :p

ILikeFeet

Banned
Icecream threads make me interested in this shit (for some reason), but I don't live in Japan. maybe it's better that way.

AlyS9.png

several things about this image intruges me @_@

faridmon

Actually, I played one, and thats Higurashi as it got released here in EU land. A step above many gaffers, here it seems :D

apart from that, Anime is the closest i got ADV and dating sims...

mollipen

InfiniteNine said:
I think the likely answer to that is no since that thing is a piece of shit.

Really? The premise is actually interesting (opposed to 99% of Japanese ADVs), and I swear I've heard good things about it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
shidoshi said:
Really? The premise is actually interesting (opposed to 99% of Japanese ADVs), and I swear I've heard good things about it.
It was obscenely cliche, and poorly paced. It might work for some people, but it was very dull in atmosphere. It probably doesn't help that they have multiple writers for the scenario and lacking an editor that can tie a unified writing style to it. It really is a mess of a story, but I'm probably biased since their viral/undercover marketing has gotten on my nerves. I personally didn't enjoy Katawa Shoujo.

icecream

Public Health Threat
shidoshi said:
So icecream, question - do you have any interest in, and if so, have you ever played the ADV that 4chan made?
If you're referring to Katawa Shoujo, I tried a demo a while back, and the thing that surprised me the most was the level of the dialogue. Of course, the game has a lot of 'LOLZ 4-CHAN' moments in it, which is to be expected. But if you can tolerate those, the actual story-writing was more than decent. Just a question if they will be able to keep up that level until the end, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder where will Enterbrain go[...]They're airing an Amagami anime right now so maybe they are doing a port or a sequel or something to capitalize on it, but still nothing announced post-PS2 ADV-wise.
I'm hoping-beyond-hope that they'll decide not release an updated (read: bugfixed) PS2 version like they did for KimiKiss, and instead move it all on the PS3. But we probably won't know the result of such a decision until near the end of the series or after...

InfiniteNine said:
Excuse me Ice Cream for using your topic to say this.
Talking about ADVs is always good. Even more so if it gets new people to try out new ones. :D

JustAnotherOtaku said:
I was gonna post a thread earlier asking for PS1/Saturn ADV recommendations, any thoughts on doing a 32-bit version of this thread? :p
A thread like that might be too big, even for me. :p

ILikeFeet said:
Several things about this image intruges me @_@
Everyone loves Yuiko. :D

vECDw.png

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icecream said:
I tried a demo a while back, and the thing that surprised me the most was the level of the dialogue. Of course, the game has a lot of 'LOLZ 4-CHAN' moments in it, which is to be expected. But if you can tolerate those, the actual story-writing was more than decent. Just a question if they will be able to keep up that level until the end, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
That's probably what I didn't like about it. :lol I do hope they clean it up a bit, but I remain cautiously optimistic. Working on one myself with a small team of people I was looking at things I didn't want to see in my own work. Of course I'm not the writer, but I want to keep the LOLZ 4Chan moments to a minimum beyond joke ending paths.

Acosta

Ouches, Sharin no Kuni it's quite expensive, the only shop I have found with it prices it at 95$. Is this a special case or are ADV usually expensive?

Too bad because I really liked the description of its story.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Acosta said:
Ouches, Sharin no Kuni it's quite expensive, the only shop I have found with it prices it at 95$. Is this a special case or are ADV usually expensive?

Too bad because I really liked the description of its story.
They are pretty expensive if not officially localized. I'd point you out to some good ones translated and released here, but I'm blanking out at the moment.

EDIT: Umineko no Naku Koro ni 1-4 would be a reasonably priced import at $37: http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info.php/products_id/11978
Depending on your reading speed you'd get at least 64 hours of entertainment out of that, but it's not so much an ADV as much as it's a mystery story. You can download the entire first game, and the translation patch online though to see if you want to invest in it. The artwork isn't that great, but the real meat of it is the story.

You can download the first game/demo from here if you're interested (Download from the ones that are for foreign use): http://07th-expansion.net/umi/soft/umi_taiken_r.htm

You can get a translation for the for that portion here: http://www.witch-hunt.com/files/Umineko_Demo_English.zip

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I think we all can tell who knows about icecream and who doesn't here.

Anyway, while the ADV genre has clearly hit tougher times sales wise, at least they are still trying, and I'm sure PS3 will end up with a fair few more in the next year or two. Now, I REALLY need to learn Japanese, I keep promising myself to do it, yet I never do.

I love how the pictures for "Phantom PHANTOM OF INFERNO" which is supposedly a Hard Boiled Noir game look nothing like its description....heh.

Aside from that I need to stop looking at the screens for Ore no Yome before I go blind, and the guy on the first picture of STEINS;GATE looks like he has just done something bad to the girl in the BG and feels bad about it.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Stop It said:
I love how the pictures for "Phantom PHANTOM OF INFERNO" which is supposedly a Hard Boiled Noir game look nothing like its description....heh.
Perhaps the trailer would be a better representation, then?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icecream said:
I really wonder if Nitro+'s partnership with JastUSA would allow this to see a stateside release. I would love to see it here on 360 or PC since no ties to 5pb would prevent that like it is for Chaos;Head.

icecream

Public Health Threat
InfiniteNine said:
I really wonder if Nitro+'s partnership with JastUSA would allow this to see a stateside release. I would love to see it here on 360 or PC.
Microsoft is apparently the publisher for the game in Japan, so maybe we'd be better off hoping for a GFWL release? :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icecream said:
Microsoft is apparently the publisher for the game in Japan, so maybe we'd be better off hoping for a GFWL release? :D
My hopes just fell off a building and into a pit of spikes. Oh well, I still got Demonbane to look forward to.

Sectus

icecream said:
In the old days, console ADVs could comfortably sell around 60K on average. Nowadays, your average PC port nets 10~12K in sales. If you're doing ~25K you're pretty good, even higher and it's time to break out the champagne...
Are they actually profitable with that amount of sales? If so, darn it, we need more western developers who think like that. Too many publishers are obsessed with huge budgets requiring 1+ million sales in order to be profitable.

Western devs needs to make moar pron games too please.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
icecream said:
Yes, yes it does, somehow, although the 2nd comment on Youtube doesn't fill me with too much confidence...

icecream said:
Ok...something doesn't add up here.

Sectus said:
Are they actually profitable with that amount of sales? If so, darn it, we need more western developers who think like that. Too many publishers are obsessed with huge budgets requiring 1+ million sales in order to be profitable.

Western devs needs to make moar pron games too please.
I would have thought that they were, all things considered. Many devs in Japan know how to live within their means much better than western ones. Well that's not entirely true as there are many decent indie devs over here too, but until recently most have been PC only for some reason or another.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So Icecream, how would you feel about 3DS becoming the new home of creepy "Why Japan Why?" ADV games in a few years? :lol

Darktails

I'm really interested in the question of why depictions of seemingly underage characters in implicitly sexual poses are so popular in Japan. A historical anecdote maybe? Or has this something to do with the way children are being raised/treated? Links would be greatly appreciated.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The ignorance in this thread is overwhelming... Oh well, a few more people are interested in exploring ADV/VN/Whatever you want to call them so it's not all bad. Still need to work on getting White Album PS3 when I can get the money. How are you enjoying it so far icecream?

icecream

Public Health Threat
Man God said:
So Icecream, how would you feel about 3DS becoming the new home of creepy "Why Japan Why?" ADV games in a few years? :lol
Portables can never replace the feeling of console ADV gaming. There's just something magical about sitting down and experiencing a story on a big-screen TV with surround sound. :D

InfiniteNine said:
Still need to work on getting White Album PS3 when I can get the money. How are you enjoying it so far icecream?
Unfortunately I was only able to get a few game days in before I had to give up (and sadly I won't be able to pick it up again until the holidays), but from what I've experienced:

• The game feels very polished. Aquaplus didn't hold back on this one
  • The development was apparently outsourced to Sting. Guess that's why we don't have a new Heaven Dept. game yet :p
  • Akira's voice not being Daisuke Sakaguchi as in the anime but instead some whiny girly voice was a horrible decision
  • Most of the characters resemble their anime counterparts. Rina was the one who's personality was the most contrasting from the anime, but that might be because I didn't 'know' her well enough yet
  • Motion Portrait is the future. Seeing them having natural movements during speaking is wonderful :D
  • The system they implemented is pretty neat. Each day you choose to travel to a location, and if you meet the girl, conversation topics pop up. And the more you talk to them, the more the topics level up and the more intimate you can be in your conversations

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icecream said:
Unfortunately I was only able to get a few game days in before I had to give up (and sadly I won't be able to pick it up again until the holidays), but from what I've experienced:

• The game feels very polished. Aquaplus didn't hold back on this one
  • The development was apparently outsourced to Sting. Guess that's why we don't have a new Heaven Dept. game yet :p
  • Akira's voice not being Daisuke Sakaguchi as in the anime but instead some whiny girly voice was a horrible decision
  • Most of the characters resemble their anime counterparts. Rina was the one who's personality was the most contrasting from the anime, but that might be because I didn't 'know' her well enough yet
  • Motion Portrait is the future. Seeing them having natural movements during speaking is wonderful :D
  • The system they implemented is pretty neat. Each day you choose to travel to a location, and if you meet the girl, conversation topics pop up. And the more you talk to them, the more the topics level up and the more intimate you can be in your conversations

Sounds like AquaPlus did a good job on it then. I'm enjoying their Tears to Tiara PS3 port so I guess it's to be expected!
Shame about Daisuke's not reprising his role though, are character specific voice options available for it? I'm glad they seemed to perfect the motion a bit. In CHAOS;HEAD it was kinda awkward to me with the way 5pb handled it, so I'm pretty glad that they seem to have created something more natural looking. The system reminds me a bit of ToHeart2 but more featured, so I can't wait to try it out myself!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
icecream said:
It's・a・secret.
A secret to everybody. No one understands how these developers catagorize their own games...

How coy.

Metal Gear?! said:
Someone did. Insertcredit covered one. PC only I guess.

Indeed they did.

It's probably clear from context that one should be circumspect in clicking that link, even if all the screenshots are tastefully censored by malformed Xenosaga action figures.

Genres

Delusional Science
Apocalypic World School Academy Fantasy
Hypothetical Science
Supernatural Maidens-in-Love
Exploding Delusion
School Academy Romance Training
Hard Boiled Noir
Living with Your Ideal Wife

epic

Top Bottom