• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HD ADVs: The Unknown War - The Players, The Casualties, The Girls

Kagami

InfiniteNine said:
I wonder if any companies plan on taking the BD-J loophole and release eroge on the PS3 that way the same way they did with UMD movies on the PSP.
There's two out so far.

1268gv7.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B003FHEVR8/

103ehp2.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B003FHEVRI/

icecream

Public Health Threat
With apparently two more on the way:

Sora no Iro, Mizu no Iro (the game with music composed by Hiroki Kikuta)
PD6Yy.jpg

ARCANA
hFYzi.jpg

And interestingly, they're all T2's games...

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Speaking of ADVs (which I tend to follow exclusively for non-hentai oriented games like Ace Attorney), recently I played the Katawa Shoujo demo, and oddly enough the main character is enjoyable to follow. And while I can't say the same for other characters (Misha), I like the atmosphere of the game, the writing is a plus as well for characters like Tezuka and Kenji, I got some laughs between scenes.

Now, I wonder how much different would be the game if it was a 3D game, specially when the interpretation of body language during each scene is somehow lost in the MC appreciation. I guess that's part of the cons in ADV gaming. Regardless, greatly impressed by the team-effort coming from some random sketches.

icecream, can Ore no Yome (My Wife) be considered an ADV? As far as I know the game supposed to be in most part composed of mini-games, much more like Dream C Club.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ChoklitReign said:
Tell me there's more to these games other than being artistic simulations of dates people with zero social skills will never have.
Considering that not all ADV aren't galge/dating sims, so yes there is more to them. Chaos;Head certainly wasn't one before it was ported to the 360. It was more a week in the life of a crazy delusional otaku shut-in with murders and such going on.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
InfiniteNine said:
Considering that not all ADV aren't galge/dating sims, so yes there is more to them. Chaos;Head certainly wasn't one before it was ported to the 360. It was more a week in the life of a crazy delusional otaku shut-in with murders and such going on.

Steins;Gate is a good reference as well in terms of sci-fi elements (Time travel)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
bernardobri said:
Steins;Gate is a good reference as well in terms of sci-fi elements (Time travel)
Haven't played Steins;Gate yet so it felt weird for me to try and mention it, but yes that is also a good choice. Going to pick it up for the PC when it comes out!

tafer

HK-47 said:
icecream threads are such a treat. Its both fascinating and horrifying at the same time.

I usually have a good time reading the reactions, but this time I was one of the victims... :lol

zoku88

InfiniteNine said:
Haven't played Steins;Gate yet so it felt weird for me to try and mention it, but yes that is also a good choice. Going to pick it up for the PC when it comes out!
Doesn't that have online activation? Haven't japanese adv companies been blocking foreign addresses from their sites? Not worried about activation not working?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
zoku88 said:
Doesn't that have online activation? Haven't japanese adv companies been blocking foreign addresses from their sites? Not worried about activation not working?
There will be a workaround within hours of release. I'm pretty sure Nagato or someone will see to that if it comes to such things.

icecream

Public Health Threat
InfiniteNine said:
Considering that not all ADV aren't galge/dating sims, so yes there is more to them.
Plenty of the ones on my list aren't the 'galge' type of ADV. They have their own story, and ending up with a heroine is just a natural consequence of that journey. For example, I wouldn't consider Sharin no Kuni as a game that can be simply summarized as where one goes and hooks up with girls...

Besides, if you want to experience 'artistic simulations of dating people,' that's what LovePlus is for. :D

Chiaroscuro said:
icecream, can Ore no Yome (My Wife) be considered an ADV? As far as I know the game supposed to be in most part composed of mini-games, much more like Dream C Club.
Yes, I had pondered about that one for a while, but in the end, the game itself classifies itself as an adventure game, And most of the game is about the story of you living with your wife via dialogue and interaction, though perhaps in a more structured way than a through-flowing story.

There are mini-game-like activities that you can do with your wife, but they don't seem like Dream C Club where the games are the primary foundation of your interaction with the heroine, which is what makes Dream C Club a simulation game rather than an ADV.

icecream

Public Health Threat
At the Famitsu360 100th Issue Commemoration Event, Cave's Asada Makoto and 5pb's Shikura Chiyomaru held a special called High Spec Machine;Low Spec Man where they talked about various things. During which Asada announced that cave was in the middle of developing an ADV.

Known info:
  • The motif is an '80s~'90s era type of detective story
  • Protagonist is a 40-year old male
  • Also how due to 'the circumstances of adults it might change a girl'
  • Further details will be announced at Cave's 2010 Summer Festival event

Shukura also mentioned that 5pb was 'hard at work' creating the next entry into their 'Science ADV' series.

Reikon

I really wish more companies would release the PC versions in 720p or higher instead of just exclusively on consoles, but then I guess there'd be very little reason to get them on consoles instead.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is on the App Store, if you can read Japanese.

While this is bumped, I'll just mention that an English version of the first two episodes of Higurashi has just been released on the App Store.

Onikakushi-hen: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/higurashi-when-they-cry-ep1/id383052917?mt=8
Watanagashi-hen: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/higurashi-when-they-cry-ep2/id383054244?mt=8

Until August 15, Onikakushi-hen is free and Watanagashi-hen is $3.99. If you've been loathe to get the MangaGamer PC translation due to its rather high price, now's your chance! It's one of the better-written visual novels out there, so at least check out the first episode - you have nothing to lose. (Don't expect visuals like the OP though; Ryukishi07 is a good writer but a terrible artist.)

iconoclast said:
Cave is developing an ADV? Well that is... unexpected.

Looking at their backcatalog, it looks like they already developed an ADV, if this qualifies:

945174_100172_front.jpg

Relased as Princess Debut by Natsume in the US, it looks like a dating sim with dancing minigames.

icecream

Public Health Threat
New information report:

• General release dates updated.
  • PHANTOM has been delayed to 2011
  • Sharin no Kuni has new screens and a new trailer sung by Katakiri Rekka, who also performed the original opening.
  • A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS: Pia Carrot 4 360
  • A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS: Umineko no Naku Koro ni PS3
    >Will contain Episodes 1-4, original BGMs, 1080P CGs, and Ekusa (Binchou-tan) is doing the character designs for the girls, while FFC is doing the designs for the guys.
  • CLANNAD PS3 details suggest that... it looks to be exactly the same as the 360 version, with pay-for DLC options and all!

icecream said:
New information report:

• General release dates updated.
  • PHANTOM has been delayed to 2011
  • Sharin no Kuni has new screens and a new trailer sung by Katakiri Rekka, who also performed the original opening.
  • A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS: Pia Carrot 4 360
  • A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS: Umineko no Naku Koro ni PS3
    >Will contain Episodes 1-4, original BGMs, 1080P CGs, and Ekusa (Binchou-tan) is doing the character designs for the girls, while FFC is doing the designs for the guys.
  • CLANNAD PS3 details suggest that... it looks to be exactly the same as the 360 version, with pay-for DLC options and all!

I noticed Pia Carrot 4 on AmiAmi a few days ago, but I did not have any other information. Keep the good work updating this thread, I am trying to get my 360 ADV collection completed.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icecream said:
[*]Sharin no Kuni has new screens and a new trailer sung by Katakiri Rekka, who also performed the original opening.
Who is that red eyed girl on the desk? I don't remember her when I played through the PC version! The CGs... look cropped to fit the aspect ratio... That's disappointing. Four new characters... This includes the fandisk then right?

Yeah, cropped CG's:
Hwh9B.jpg

5iqv1.jpg

[*]A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS: Umineko no Naku Koro ni PS3
Really looking forward to this! I do hope they keep the ahaha.wav

icecream

Public Health Threat
InfiniteNine said:
This includes the fandisk then right?
It includes the main story of the fan disc, yes. Not the fanservice character-route stories though.

InfiniteNine said:
Yeah, cropped CG's
That's how it's usually done, unless the original game had wide-aspect CGs. The original source will always be higher resolution than the 800x600 the PC version put out, but it'll also most likely be 4:3.

InfiniteNine said:
Really looking forward to this! I do hope they keep the ahaha.wav
There's a trailer I forgot to link too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icecream said:
That's how it's usually done, unless the original game had wide-aspect CGs. The original source will always be higher resolution than the 800x600 the PC version put out, but it'll also most likely be 4:3.
I think Houzuki's wrath should be displayed at maximum cane hittage though! I probably wouldn't have noticed right away if I didn't see that one. I remember that scene pretty well, but I remember most of Housuki's scenes pretty well because he scares the crap out of me.

icecream

Public Health Threat
InfiniteNine said:
I think Houzuki's wrath should be displayed at maximum cane hittage though!
Most likely, if it's important enough, they'll do it like they do with PSP CGs and have the full original CG scrollable so nothing is cut off.

Ramune

Oh crap, didn't know Higurashi was on iPhone!!!
Great thread, it's been a while since I've played a good ADV game. Last one was Ever 17, which was really awesome. I'll keep my eye's open for Aquaplus' PS3 releases, and Steins ; Gate (now should I get the 360 or PC version?). Umineko also registers on my radar!

Going to have to continue brushing up on my Japanese for sure now! :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ramune said:
Oh crap, didn't know Higurashi was on iPhone!!!
Great thread, it's been a while since I've played a good ADV game. Last one was Ever 17, which was really awesome. I'll keep my eye's open for Aquaplus' PS3 releases, and Steins ; Gate (now should I get the 360 or PC version?). Umineko also registers on my radar!

Going to have to continue brushing up on my Japanese for sure now! :lol
Well if you want 720p CGs and achievements and such, you can grab the 360 version. (PC version content should be available as DLC on the marketplace.) If you don't care about that the PC version looks quite nice at 578p! Can't really go wrong with a great game!

On the Umineko front you can give the PC version of Episode 1 a try off the official site to see how it strikes you: http://www.07th-expansion.net/umi/soft/umi_taiken_r.htm

Dresden

Saya no Uta, despite being consistently disgusting, is also a great read.

Not sure about Sharin no Kuni, although I've heard good things about it.

I still want Stein;Gate.

icecream

Public Health Threat
It'll be interesting to see how the Dungeons & Takafumis looks in HD. Hope it's not just blown up like crazy. :D

Chiaroscuro said:
Question: Icecream, where do you find the sales data of those titles?
Famitsu/M-Create sales data.

G-Fex

InfiniteNine said:
Really? He just makes me broke by notifying me of things I should buy.

It makes me feel bad it's like looking at a car crash.

I had no idea you still posted infinitenine

ILikeFeet said:
dude, just skip this thread and go straight to the hentai. there's a particular site I go to myself

I'm at work right now, that's why.

I can access hentai when I want, that's no issue. Worst comes to worst, I have a copy of Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend on DVD :lol

icecream

Public Health Threat
So barely one week has passed since the release of the PSP version of L@VE ONCE, and the PS3 version has already been announced. :lol

L@ve once -mermaid's tears-
  • February 2011 release
  • LE Item: Toritome May nendroid
  • Sub-character 'Tsutsumi Michiru' has become a possible heroine
  • CGs and BGs have been fine tuned
  • Utilized Motion Portrait technology
  • New clothing for heroines
  • New OP and ED songs
  • New OP Movie
  • After Story compilation

I feel sorry for anyone who bought the PSP game this week.

icecream

Public Health Threat
New Information Report:

• Lists have been updated with new titles and figures

• A demo for Sharin no Kuni was released on Xbox Marketplace back in October:

• New Infinity Series game announced for the 360! code_18, slated for S011 Spring release. It's cute how they seem to have swept 12Riven under the rug :lol
  • Staff is still unknown at this point, but doesn't look likely that either Nakazawa (busy with Regista) or Uchikoshi (busy at Chunsoft) are involved with it.

• Suigetsu Ni, a sequel to the 2002 PC game Suigetsu (though a PSP port was released a few years back) has been announced for the PS3!
  • Characers

• New screens for L@ve once
  • Opening movie, and trailer
  • The general pre-order goods (original character posters and petite Nendroid of Mei) and the store specific pre-order bonuses have also been revealed
  • The LE will come with a Special box with new illustration by Mutsumi Sasaki and a Special Guide Book

• The third Science ADV series game from 5pb has been announced: Robotics;Notes!
  • The teaser trailer can be viewed here
  • No platform has been specified as of yet... but most likely it will follow the path of its predecessors: Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head

• Yeti/Regista's new game has been revealed: Root Double
  • Nakazawa is penning the scenario. After seeing how Uchikoshi did with 999, it should be exciting to see how Nakazawa fares.
  • No platform has been announced as of yet, but it's possible they've finally moved on from the PS2 to the PS3/360
  • Characers

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Going to have to tell my friend about the new Infinity game! He's a big fan so he should be happy, but the artwork looks...lacking.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
FoxSpirit said:
How do I set up my desktop with that kind of folders??
Yeah, wayyy OT :lol
A program called Fences!

InternHertz said:
I really hope the superior version of Robotics;Notes will be on PC, and not on a region-locked console ><

It won't be the superior version if they continue to down-rez the PC version's assets like they did with Steins;Gate. /:

icecream

Public Health Threat
Not so new information report:
  • A bunch of trailers were released for Root Double Before Crime*After Days back during C79. The most interesting to note about them besides the references to Isaiah 24:22 and nuclear meltdown, is that they're in HD which strongly suggests that the game is indeed going to be for a HD console.
  • Also would be Nakazawa's tweet stating that "Root Double's platform is still being considered, but at present it is most likely that it will debut on a hardware that has a '3' in its name."
  • Supposedly it'll be revealed in March.

• Official page for Robotics;Notes is up.
  • Famitsu had some commentary from producer Naotaka Hayashi and scenario writer Matsubara Tatsuya, stating that the game will have artwork that will be converted to 3D models like Idolm@ster or Catherine.
    Or presumably they mean like E17

• Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling has been announced! Official site here. Looks like the Steins;Gate version of Love Chu&#9734;Chu.

• And of course, Ever17 has been announced! And it's a full-on remake! You can read all the joyous details in the other thread.

• It might have passed under the radar for some, but CROSS†CHANNEL &#65374;In memory of all people&#65374; is getting a 360 port!
  • Instead of a simple direct port the 360 version has 150% worth of content in comparison to the recent PSP port.
  • This new version will have new after stories, and brand new routes penned by Tanaka Romeo, the original writer, himself!
  • The 360 version will also have at least 20 new CGs, as well as additional new character graphics.
  • The brand new OP, sung by nao with lyrics written by 5pb president Chiyomaru, can be viewed here.
  • Various screens can be viewed here.
  • Pre-order goods include telephone and library cards, while the LE will be bundled with... an electrical massage strap.
    001.jpg

Lzi2h.jpg
    Y43aD.jpg
    L5bO0.jpg

• New screens have been released for Suigestu Ni... and they're not good.

• And of course, ToHeart2 DX Plus has been announced! To paraphrase from the other thread:
  • Will incorporate Motion Portrait (just like WA did) and various other features to make it the definitive version of To Heart 2.
  • Mitsumi Misasto, the main artist for ToHeart2, is serving as the director for this game.
  • The game will consist of TH2 + TH2AD + new heroines and new routes.
  • Scenarios will be rewritten, CGs will be redrawn, and the game will have up to 3 times the content of your average title.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just making sure before my game gets in next week. Does the DLC for Steins;Gate 360 make it mirror the PC version's added content?

Top Bottom