• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio

Nemesis_

Cool, I guess, but am I reading right in that although the ports will remain the same that my TV might not support it? I'm a bit confuse T_T

TheD

The Detective
You can still do 4k with the current HDMI standard it just won't be at 60hz. So a better question would be what content do you expect to exist at 4k and 60hz that you so desperately want the new consoles to show you.

It is hardly common on consumer PCs. No one outside of ATI/AMD supported it until recent years. Most consumer monitors don't even have a DP port unless they are in the $300 dollar range or more.

You are missing the point.
HDMI has lagged badly behind DP (and DP is out in the wild and not just in some lab, e.g all Macs support it via thunderbolt), market share is meaningless in regards to that.

RulkezX

8 years ago:

Do people actually care about 1080p/HD?

8 years later people are sitting playing sub 720p games and crappy "HD" streams.

HD tv's were sub £1000 at launch of the PS360 and had a new media format in BD and 2 games consoles fuelling uptake of HD sets, yet 8 years later people are still happily buying DVDs and watching streaming tv at well below 1080p.

You are missing the point.
HDMI has lagged badly behind DP, market share is meaningless in regards to that.

But if they have already caught up with the 2.0 standard then lagging behind want really have an impact on their continuing market share, will it? It doesn't really matter how good DP is if nobody is using it.

Gold Member
I'm skeptical whether this will be the norm in 8-10 years as some of you guys are suggesting. 1080p was adopted by the masses as there was an abundance of media that used it, blu ray, cable (or sky HD here in the UK) and to some extent gaming with this gen which (although 720p) made people think they were missing out by having a SD set.

4k prices will only drop to current 1080p panel levels when they are producing enough of them to drive costs down and I think the masses aren't going to be that taken with it personally. It's unlikely that cable services are going to be broadcasting at 4k levels anytime soon given they still cannot manage 1080p (well here in the UK at least it's interlaced, not sure about elsewhere) and many people still shun blu ray as upscaled DVD looks good enough. As others have mentioned consoles couldn't dream of rendering anything close to 4k for actual games.

As an enthusiast I hope I'm wrong, I will be getting one as I like new shit, but does it have mass market appeal? If they can come up with some media or whatever that can use it other than films then yes, otherwise I'd say it will be niche until TV or on demand TV services start using it, which I can't see happening anytime soon personally - well until the worlds BB infrastructure is at sky net levels anyhow ;)

"Only just after it leaked out, the folks at HDMI Licensing are announcing HDMI 2.0 officially. Arriving just in time for the wide rollout of a new generation of Ultra HDTVs, it adds a few key capabilities to the connection standard. With a bandwidth capacity of up to 18Gbps, it has enough room to carry 3,840 x 2,160 resolution video at up to 60fps. It also has support for up to 32 audio channels, "dynamic auto lipsync" and additional CEC extensions.

Las time i checked you need four titan cards to run games at 60fps how is it that statement from the post above is true. The new consoles aren't even close to titan graphics card. can someone clarify this for me.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7120/some-quick-gaming-numbers-at-4k-max-settings

56150.png

56151.png

56152.png

Minsc

Gold Member
Las time i checked you need four titan cards to run games at 60fps how is it that statement from the post above is true. The new consoles aren't even close to titan graphics card. can someone clarify this for me.

Congratulations you picked the most demanding game you could find. If you were to say find something slightly more reasonable than even a single titan would probably be overkill.

You need those four titans about as much as you "need" that 4xMSAA and max settings in those tests when you care about framerate at 4k resolution. :p

Woops jumped the gun, thanks for covering that.

Vizzeh

Banned
Lwhat have we got now, my hdmi cable 1.4 is rated to 4k so 4k30fps? .. I pressume 1080p60fps isnt an issue what so ever in 1.4

Do people actually care about 4k?

I normally don't but then when I go to my local retailer and see the Sony 55 Inch 4k next to the regular 1080P TVs my jaw drop and I cant stop looking at the thing, the picture especially the color at that resolutions is to me a revolution. Its a bit pricey at the moment but when it goes down a bit over the years I will get one for sure.

Metzhara

While the topic of 2.0 HDMI cables is immediately useless to me, the 4 1.4a cables I ordered from monoprice because of this thread were not. Thank you.
Though I will have to say it being 5 AM didn't help either. -Adam

Afrikan

The PS3 received a firmware update that allowed 1.4 correct? or a form of it....so is it out of the question that the Xone and the PS4 get firmware updates to support 2.0?

Minsc

Gold Member
is that better for you

What point are you trying to prove? Cause as far as I can see all you're proving is at 4k resolutions GPUs can't keep up with the AA they threw at the cards. Which is no surprise, anything can be brought down by adding in enough resolution and AA, so what you are posting isn't really terribly interesting. The games themselves would likely run fine if they didn't add in the ridiculous amount of AA on top of the 4k resolution, or perhaps if they toned down a key setting.

As far as I'm concerned, they set out with the intention of running games at settings looking to be as demanding as possible, which is nothing special. They did not try to get the games running at 60fps at 4k, which could be easily done, so again I don't understand what your point is exactly.

bee

is that better for you

not really, sleeping dogs will be using extreme ssaa, dirt 3 shows to be perfectly playable on a single card released in march 2012 though. fuck benchmark sites ask real world users, many many people (myself included) are already downsampling from 4k for a LOT of games, so 4k is totally usable already on pc

The games themselves would likely run fine if they didn't add in the ridiculous amount of AA on top of the 4k resolution, or perhaps if they toned down a key setting.

Exactly. I am sure they are using SSAA or something similar for Metro and Sleeping Dogs, which is ridiculous at 4k. When your resolution is that high SMAA or any of the other post processing AA solutions should be more than enough with a much less significant impact on performance.

not really, sleeping dogs will be using extreme ssaa, dirt 3 shows to be perfectly playable on a single card released in march 2012 though. fuck benchmark sites ask real world users, many many people (myself included) are already downsampling from 4k for a LOT of games, so 4k is totally usable already on pc

what i was trying to say is gaming at 4k with decent frame rates on next gen isn't there yet. yes i agree with you.

Omni

I think I'd be too busy to worry about my comp monitor not having HDMI.......but that's just me.

tumblr_m5w9cnF9c01r4oep4o1_400.jpg

edit-
*sigh* and for enlightenment sake...monitors and TVs have HDMI ports in Ethiopia.
If it wasn't obvious, I was only joking. :)

Saroyan

Now this is exciting, I'm looking forward to replacing my 54" 1080p screen with a 60" 4k screen in a year or two :)

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm getting tech that makes my living room bigger? Looking forward to it.
You don't need to have a massive TV to appreciate 4k resolution.

And assuming your comment means you don't have a very big living room, then it means you're sitting closer to your screen, which makes 4k very useful.

So either way, big room or small, 4k can be good for you.

But like I said, if you insist on being cynical about it, just keep your 1080p display around forever while the rest of the world moves forward. Nobody is going to mind.

KKRT00

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7120/some-quick-gaming-numbers-at-4k-max-settings

56150.png

56151.png

56152.png

You know that Sleeping Dogs use SSAA so You are playing in 8k in those settings and Metro 2033 has unoptimized Bokeh and unoptimized 4x MSAA that decrease performance by at least 70%?

kirby_fox

Banned
4K won't catch on like HDTV did. HD had been around since the 80s. The 80s! What made HDTV so big was the change to the digital format over-air channels made.

With as much data as 4K needs (just look at the numbers for what it takes to download a movie in 4K, they're huge) until we get compression that doesn't obliterate the quality I don't see it catching on. I honestly think we'll see 8K or 12K come out and leave 4K to die, as they continue to try to push higher resolutions out-- the tech will finally be there to truly work with huge amounts of data after 4K is relevant.

No one wants to upgrade again so soon after they just got an HDTV.

Here's to hoping that HDMI 2.0 has proper handshakes between devices. Who am I kidding all that DRM does is make it more difficult for legitimate use.

Top Bottom