• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio

Do people actually care about 4k?
Well it looks fantastic. It's the next step I suppose. It's going to be a while till it get gets meaningful content so in glad to wait a few years for the price to drastically drop but yes people do care. I look at 4k and I wonder if images can get more lifelike.

56152.png

is that better for you

SP is technically running at 8k actually here.

Buggzy18

Banned
Didn't major nelson say in the unboxing video that the HMDI cable that comes with the xbox one is "4k ready?" I don't know if it's 2.0 or the same as this one or not though.

I hope this bandwidth is enough for 4K 3D @ 48/60fps and 7.1 surround... 4K 2D @ 60fps would not be enough to be really future proof imo.

My being excited for 4k doesn't mean much but my wife, who didn't even own a HD tv before we got married and could not care less about it now, saw a 4k TV at Best Buy the other day as we were walking around. It rendered her speechless and she sat down and stared at the screen for a good 20 minutes as it played a loop of cityscapes. She was absolutely mesmerized.

inherendo

Why care for 4k when games aren't even 1080p yet

Because HDMI is used in many more things than just gaming.

But yeah, for other people that are talking about 4k gaming, try another couple of gens, unless you count upscaling, which you shouldn't.

By the way can anyone show me where it has been officially said that the PS4 has HDMI 1.4 & not HDMI 2.0?

Final specs have to be determined well in advance of launch. The official 2.0 standard just got released, so they could not have gotten it certified. The HDMI on both consoles are 1.4

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DerZuhälter;79931981 said:
8K or bust. NHK knows what the deal is.

8kyksr4.gif
Wow.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm struggling how 4K is relevant at this stage or in the next 10 years. We still haven't perfect 1080P in all mediums yet.

• TV broadcasters mostly transmit in 576 and have multiple channels in their allocated spectrum, they would rather have more channels than have a single good quality one.
  • People are still buying 480p/576 resolution DVDs by the droves.
  • Console games are barely 720P
  • I don't know of any websites that have 4K videos

I can only see 4K being used as a replacement for lower budget films.
I believe YouTube supports 4k video.

1) After a ~2 year delay, it finally comes out and doesn't support 120hz... *sigh*. Well at least not officially.

2)Dual DVI already supports 4k@60fps via driver fiddling. Also, displayport.

3) Brand new consoles missed it by two damn seconds. Will look forward to the revisions.

4) "4k costs too much, AND won't be popular for YEARS, why should I care." Well, okay sure... but these guys will surely have a 2.0 version coming out soon
Also, this 4k tv will cost $999. Dunno bout 2.0 in that one.

5) Please don't link that anandtech stuff. Read this one instead.

6)"New consoles couldn't handle it anyway." ...Yes they could. For only a few types of games, possibly only certain indie titles, sure. Are you saying you would be opposed to PS2/GX/Xbox level graphics in 4k? I wouldn't.

7)Here's the first 2.0 tv by Panasonic

M3d10n

Wait a second. Does this means the current 4K sets being sold are unable of displaying 60Hz at full resolution? If HDMI 2.0 requires a new port.... this means anyone buying a 4k TV now has been scammed.

onQ123

Final specs have to be determined well in advance of launch. The official 2.0 standard just got released, so they could not have gotten it certified. The HDMI on both consoles are 1.4

The guy from Sony is the president of the HDMI Forum so I'm sure that they already know what's needed to upgrade to HDMI 2.0 & on top of that they seemed prepared for this by having 32 ROPS vs the Xbox One 16 ROPS.

Theonik

Wait a second. Does this means the current 4K sets being sold are unable of displaying 60Hz at full resolution? If HDMI 2.0 requires a new port.... this means anyone buying a 4k TV now has been scammed.
The article on the OP said the connector is the same, but I would imagine to be able to support the extra bandwidth the port would need to be capable to run at a higher clock speed (600mhz on HDMI2.0 Vs 340mhz on 1.3/4) something existent HDMI controllers wouldn't be able to do.
This basically means anyone who bought these older displays was screwed over.
Edit: Though you remember that this isn't particularly new, and 1.4 did do 4K at 24 which was what was needed for movies anyway

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What the hell is "dynamic auto lipsync"?

Theonik

PS3 was able to upgrade its HDMI spec via firmware, and PS4 was reported to support 4K...
No PS3 still only supports HDMI 1.3. 3D output on the PS3 works differently and was workable as the clock and bandwidth on HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 were identical. HDMI 2.0 on the other hand requires a higher clock HDMI controller and in all likelihood a redesign of the output of the GPU to use.

Koren

This console generation is supposed to be 10 years long. That's like saying 'do people actually care about HDTV' when the 360 / PS3 was launching. In 5-6 years 4k will be the norm.
Even if this console generation last 10 years, and even if they allow HDMI 2, their computing power will NOT allow 4k2k... so I still think it's not such a big issue.

(Besides, I'm still convinced that 4k is overkill for FoV of TV sets)

onQ123

"Some companies have suggested upgrade paths for their UHDTVs already on the market -- hopefully we'll find out more about those plans this week at IFA 2013"

I guess we will find out this week

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
8 years ago:

Do people actually care about 1080p/HD?

Absolutely untrue. Broadcast had no shot at it, but even for scaling broadcast 1080i to progressive scan, and the looming Blu Ray which had been talked about and demoed for ages supported 1080P.

No consumer media supports 4K and there is absolutely nothing in the pipeline. Broadcasters will not be changing anything, and whatever media there is is pretty much being packed into the currently wildly expensive TV sets on built in hard drives.

TV makers are just leapfrogging each other for the same of doing it. They're getting better at high density screens due to mobile tech demanding it so they're squeezing it in to TVs just to have a higher tier set.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't major nelson say in the unboxing video that the HMDI cable that comes with the xbox one is "4k ready?" I don't know if it's 2.0 or the same as this one or not though.

They're just using a standard HDMI cable at 1.4 spec. Nothing special.

I'm struggling how 4K is relevant at this stage or in the next 10 years. We still haven't perfect 1080P in all mediums yet.

• TV broadcasters mostly transmit in 576 and have multiple channels in their allocated spectrum, they would rather have more channels than have a single good quality one.
  • People are still buying 480p/576 resolution DVDs by the droves.
  • Console games are barely 720P
  • I don't know of any websites that have 4K videos

I can only see 4K being used as a replacement for lower budget films.

It will be depressing seeing some people throw in a DVD with composite cables hooked up to their 4K tv and say that's good enough :( . It will happen too, unless 4K tvs decided to ditch composite inputs.

It will likely take 5 to 10 years, but eventually yes 4K (or even 8K) will be the norm...even among the casuals and the mass market. Not necessarily because casuals WANT 4K...as many are fine with 1080p or even 720p, but simply because:

a) existing TVs have a limited shelf life...things break and die, and it's sometimes cheaper and easier to just buy a new TV than repair the old one
b) by then, 50"-60" 4K TV will be affordable...people can buy quality brands (Panasonic, etc.) at $1,000 or less (way under $1K on Black Friday)
c) by then, 80%+ of the TVs available on the market at Amazon, Fry's, Best Buy etc. will be 4K TVs
d) by then, the vast majority of the television marketing will be targeted towards 4K TVs.

It also wouldn't hurt if there were some new multimedia that supported and really took advantage of 4K (or more) that further incentivized the masses to upgrade...and greater penetration of fiber connections (Google Fiber, etc.) would help on the streaming side.

32 channel audio does seem way overkill for most consumers for the foreseeable future, though.

smuf

The only thing I hate about this stuff is that I'll end up buying all my favorite movies again for what's probably the fourth or fifth time.

ShowDog

I really doubt the number of people scrambling to upgrade 1080p sets to 4k will come anywhere near what we saw from old CRT sets. There are way too many differences this time around.

Not to mention, most 1080p is compressed shit right now. It makes a lot more sense to scale the bandwidth of cable and internet streams up to actually utilize the sets we have with the technology already in everyones homes.

Oh wait, fuck, gotta sell some new TVs and shit to the consumers. Pull out those credit cards everyone. 10 megabit 4k streams incoming!

Top Bottom