• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio

Raistlin

And yet people still don't know the difference between FPS and HZ..

Reason people are mad is that 2.0 doesn't do 4k at 120 fps, therefore not allowing you to watch a 24 fps movie in 1:1 pulldown. This new standard still makes most movie buffs watch movies in a 3:2 pulldown on a TV ( in 4k)... Sigh. It's also bad for 3D movies.

It has nothing to do with Hz..

hz != FPS...
No ... and no

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Finally I can start planning ahead to my new projector and 3D@1080p won't be restricted by being 24p, thus unsuitable for gaming. Can it also do 4K 3D @60? What about bit depth and color gamut?

Can't wait to get a new pj, tho my Sony Bravia VPL HW20 has served me well and I've just changed the lamp's bulb with a new one :)

Five

Banned
My PC disagrees with you.

I very clearly meant mainstream. Yes, this is cool for PC enthusiasts, maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that the mainstream TV and laptop/netbook user won't be able to tell the difference, especially when content providers are not providing higher-res media.

Koren

And yet people still don't know the difference between FPS and HZ..

Reason people are mad is that 2.0 doesn't do 4k at 120 fps, therefore not allowing you to watch a 24 fps movie in 1:1 pulldown. This new standard still makes most movie buffs watch movies in a 3:2 pulldown on a TV ( in 4k)... Sigh. It's also bad for 3D movies.
What? Most decent players and TV support 24 image per second and 48 images per second, why would you want 120 images per seconds in the cable?

It would also be strange to send each image 5 times through the cable (identical images), the TV can do the conversion to 120 images per second itself if you really want it...

shinjijai

60fps can't be pulled into 24fps.. only 120 fps can. 120fps / 24 = 5 ( it's a straight pull down).

60 fps /24 = 2.5 which is why you have a 3:2 pull down.

hdmi 2.0 still supports 24hz, so it passes that signal along to the tv, and the tv takes care of it with 3:2, or 2:2, 5:5..

mkenyon

Banned
I very clearly meant mainstream. Yes, this is cool for PC enthusiasts, maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that the mainstream TV and laptop/netbook user won't be able to tell the difference, especially when content providers are not providing higher-res media.
Why does this even matter on a hyper enthusiast gaming forum?

And you didn't "very clearly" mean that. Your sentence doesn't even suggest it. You can only guess that your prior statements should be pulled down into that argument, which is anything but clear. Just sayin'

LegoDad

hdmi 2.0 still supports 24hz, so it passes that signal along to the tv, and the tv takes care of it with 3:2, or 2:2, 5:5..

It supports 24 fps. Yep just finally got through all the PDF's. Ok so this is only bad for 4K 3D gaming and 120fps elitists, lol.

Still wish all TV's were all capable of a straight pull down...sigh.

Five

Banned
And you didn't "very clearly" mean that. Your sentence doesn't even suggest it. You can only guess that your prior statements should be pulled down into that argument, which is anything but clear. Just sayin'

Every single other sentence in my post except for the very first one was explicitly talking about mainstream experience. I'm sorry that I was merely implicit in the final sentence.

Why does this even matter on a hyper enthusiast gaming forum?

Because not everyone here belongs to the PC master race. When was the last time a PC-specific event brought down NeoGAF? Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox events all have that to boast, which means at the least that a very large amount of people are here on this forum for those consoles. At current rate, the whole next generation of consoles will be unaffected by HDMI 2.0.

mkenyon

Banned
Because not everyone here belongs to the PC master race. When was the last time a PC-specific event brought down NeoGAF? Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox events all have that to boast, which means at the least that a very large amount of people are here on this forum for those consoles. At current rate, the whole next generation of consoles will be unaffected by HDMI 2.0.
Because NeoGAF being down is a great way to measure level of mainstream appeal?

In either case, there's a difference between "it doesn't matter to console players", and "it doesn't matter to anyone".

Five

Banned
Because NeoGAF being down is a great way to measure level of mainstream appeal?

In either case, there's a difference between "it doesn't matter to console players", and "it doesn't matter to anyone".

You're right. When I said "nobody", I was exaggerating. It only takes one person caring about 4k for me to be wrong if I was being literal, and I realize that. I'll be more careful how I word things in the future.

Raistlin

60fps can't be pulled into 24fps.. only 120 fps can. 120fps / 24 = 5 ( it's a straight pull down).

60 fps /24 = 2.5 which is why you have a 3:2 pull down.
Which is why BD players, etc output 1080p24 and now 4Kp24 ... and displays input those.

They then do either 2:2, 3:3, 4:4, or 5:5 pulldown depending on the model.

ie. no telecine judder.

Same for 3D. It uses frame-packing (1920 x 2205 @ 24fps)

It supports 24 fps. Yep just finally got through all the PDF's. Ok so this is only bad for 4K 3D gaming and 120fps elitists, lol.

Still wish all TV's were all capable of a straight pull down...sigh.
That's not how 3D works.

That said, I suspect 1080p120 is in fact supported ... at least under the optional section. We'll see once the real spec is leaked.

enra

Neo Member
Is it just me or is this chart ridiculous? Most living room TVs are between 40 and 60 inches and I'd guess that most people are around 10-15 feet away from their TV, but the chart suggests that you should have 4k resolution for that setup. 1080p is just fine for those conditions. I realize that in the future, 4k will be more common, but I would set that as the high bar, not as the recommended settings.

That chart is exaggerated, it claims people can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 20" monitor from about 15 feet away.

Apparently this chart is based on the best vision that was ever measured.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1416475/viewing-distance-chart-720p-vs-1080p-vs-4k-vs-8k-and-beyond

Alex

The main thing I'm taking away from benchmarks in this thread is that I now want to buy a 7950.

onQ123

regs

This console generation is supposed to be 10 years long. That's like saying 'do people actually care about HDTV' when the 360 / PS3 was launching. In 5-6 years 4k will be the norm.

Wishful thinking but I seriously doubt it, it took quite sometime for HDTV to become the norm. There was some content that was captured in HD back in the early 90's, there may be SOME content shooting in 4k now (not any that I am aware of but I will give the benefit of the doubt) but not a whole lot. It would be VERY optimistic to say 4k would be the standard in 5-6 years because that would mean all of the companies that JUST finished spending millions (in some case billions) of dollars upgrading to HD would have to do it all over again.

No doubt we will have the technology but content is what ultimately drives the sales. I honestly don't see it happening.

But then again I said the same thing with the PS4 having 8gb of GDDR5 lol

zoozilla

I'm struggling how 4K is relevant at this stage or in the next 10 years. We still haven't perfect 1080P in all mediums yet.

• TV broadcasters mostly transmit in 576 and have multiple channels in their allocated spectrum, they would rather have more channels than have a single good quality one.
  • People are still buying 480p/576 resolution DVDs by the droves.
  • Console games are barely 720P
  • I don't know of any websites that have 4K videos

I can only see 4K being used as a replacement for lower budget films.

Lower budget films?

There are many films out there right now, including studio films, that use digital color correction where the resolution of the outputted file is not 4K, but 2K. That means the final digital master is only at a 2K resolution. That's barely more than 1080P. Most cinemas equipped with digital cinemas use 2K projectors. Again, that's not much more than HDTV resolution. 4K in cinemas is gaining traction, but only recently.

I don't think 4K TVs will be the standard for 10 or more years.

Stimpack

I think people are really jumping the gun with this. While it's great, and I want it just as much as everyone else, I don't see this being anything in even 4-5 years. You can pretend that it's the same as SD/HD, but it's not.

Azulsky

Sounds about right.

Spec just came out, this is a bit of paper

Going to take a year for someone to get a working chip to run a panel

Another year to get it to production runs

leofidus

Neo Member
And there I was hoping for 4k at 120 hz. Instead all we got is 3.8k at 60 hz. 4k120 may not be mainstream yet, but it would be nice if for once HDMI would again be a way to connect great monitors to a PC.
I'm missing the "good old times" when connectors where capable of connecting devices better than the best one on the market.

onQ123

Sounds about right.

Nope!

Panasonic touted at IFA 2013 today that its 65-inch WT600 4K Ultra HDTV is the world’s first to include the new HDMI 2.0 standard. But recent news from Sony indicates that may not be as big of a deal as Panasonic claims it to be. According to Sony, all of its 4K televisions will be able to be upgraded to HDMI 2.0 by way of a simple firmware update by the end of the year.
HDMI 2.0 is a necessary evolution to the cable standard we’ve all gotten used to. If 4K Ultra HD televisions are going to take off, they’ll need a digital audio/video cable standard that can handle a lot more data at much higher speeds. Some have argued that Displayport could potentially step in as the connection of choice for the next generation of 4K Ultra HD TV’s, but HDMI’s ubiquity and strong support from television manufacturers has always made that a tough argument. And with Sony’s recent announcement at IFA 2013, HDMI’s dominance is pretty much guaranteed, as it turns out that an upgrade to HDMI 2.0 is as simple as a quick download over the Internet.
As part of its news conference, Sony prominently featured the launch of its 4K Video Unlimited service, a new line of 4K TVs, and a 65-inch curved LED television. But tucked in among all those new product announcements was a tiny little blurb on HDMI 2.0. According to Sony, it is prepared to “support the HDMI 2.0 specification on its line-up of 4K Ultra HD televisions with an easy firmware update to be available over the Internet by the end of this year.”
There you have it. HDMI 2.0 is just a firmware update away. Or is it? It’s great to know that some early 4K adopters won’t have to pull out a screwdriver or hire a technician to replace an input board to accommodate a new connector type, but what about cables? Not all HDMI cables are created equal. Will today’s existing high-speed HDMI cables be able to support 4K Ultra HD resolutions at 50/60 FPS with this firmware update, or will a new ultra high-speed cable start appearing in stores shortly?
We may have to wait to find out, but not very long. HDMI Licensing, LLC’s press conference is scheduled for Friday afternoon in Berlin, where we’re sure to get all the details on HDMI 2.0

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...is-just-a-firmware-update-away/#ixzz2dyFB6Xe3
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sounds about right.

Wat.

2014 panels will sport HDMI 2.0, hell Bravia panels on the market NOW just need a firmware upgrade.

Raistlin

Sounds about right.

lol

Given Silicon Image's history, I could see why you'd think that ... but it's a very different time. Production has expanded, and thanks to pushes by Sony et all to go with programmable controllers (PS3 being the earliest example I believe?), that kind of situation is no longer evident.

Basically as long as the physical interface doesn't change and the controller is clocked fast enough ... it can be updated.

Obviously programmable controllers aren't in all devices, but you do see them in big ticket/long lived items like TV's, consoles, etc.

Top Bottom