• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: Nintendo Switch Black Friday bundle deal with Mario Kart 8 is the old Nintendo Switch, not the new one with better battery life

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.theverge.com/good-deals...ario-kart-8-black-friday-deluxe-joy-con-games

Nintendo has announced its Black Friday deals, and chief among them is a $299.99 Switch console bundle that includes a free download code for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This deal will start on Thursday, November 28th, and will be available at several retailers. So far, we’ve seen it confirmed in Target’s Black Friday ad, but expect it to pop up at the other major players, like Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, and more.

Getting a free game with the Switch is great, especially one that’s as good as Nintendo’s popular kart racer, but there’s some fine print with this deal that you may, or may not, care about. You’ll only get the free game with the HAC-001 version of the console, the original launch model that has been superseded by a new version with vastly superior battery life (a range from 4.5 to nine hours versus the original’s 2.5- to 6.5-hour claim, depending on the game).

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
That’s shitty they are still pushing out the old model. At my Target they always have the old ones displayed up front in the glass case with the new ones behind them. Most people probably don’t know better and end up with the old one.

Raph64

Makes sense, they probably want to sell out the remaining stock of the old model before starting to exclusively sell the revamped model only. Pretty clever move from their part :unsure:

At least everyone from there on ( once the old model will be sold out and no longer manufactured ) will be guaranteed to buy in a model with a greater battery life without necessarily knowing it.

iconmaster

Banned
giphy.gif

Collz69

Sneaky old Nintendo, although most parents buying these for their kids won’t even care.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So crummy battery life and analog drift for 300 bucks....

Can these systems be hacked?
Almost certainly not. These are old stock, but not THAT old.

RealGassy

Banned
Whoa, what a shitty, shit deal.

Shitty battery-life OG Switch for 300$ with a thrown in download code (not even a physical copy). Yikes.

If it had two DL codes in it, I'd still be reluctant at 300 usd. (considering that you can get lite for 200)

Jubenhimer

That's kind of cheap. But I guess they want to get rid of all those HAC-001s. Wish they had better bundles this year though.

Ten_Fold

If you can get a $50 gift card along with the bundle then I think it’s a good deal. I’m waiting to see what Walmart final Black Friday ad.

Collz69

I’m looking to pick up a switch soon, I've been holding out in the hope that Nintendo realise a TV only console version of the switch (like vita TV)
This might be worthwhile if they do a similar deal in the UK, the battery life won’t matter as it would be permanently docked, I already have a pro controller & I suppose I could sell the joycons too.

Moses85

I can not find the deal here. For example. 9 month ago I bought a switch with a retail copy of Mario Kart for 249€ (including Tax)

Is this console so feaking expensive in the US?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i fail to see the issue here. if you want a new model, you can buy it. if you want one with a pack in game, you can buy that for the same price, with slightly less battery life.

people are acting like the OG Switch model is some abomination LOL. it's pretty much the exact same system.

LOLCats

Banned
not all the deals are out, but I'm just a little surprised that the standard switch isn't getting a 50$ deal or more bundles at least for the holiday.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
i fail to see the issue here. if you want a new model, you can buy it. if you want one with a pack in game, you can buy that for the same price, with slightly less battery life.

people are acting like the OG Switch model is some abomination LOL. it's pretty much the exact same system.

NeoGAF

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I love the overreactions here

the original switches battery is fine. I barely if ever even get it to below 30%

they are giving a free game away here. It’s not that dire.

jadedm17

That’s shitty they are still pushing out the old model. At my Target they always have the old ones displayed up front in the glass case with the new ones behind them. Most people probably don’t know better and end up with the old one.

Should they throw them in a pit and set them on fire instead? Just take the loss?
The heck are they supposed to do? Its a fine and functional product, if you need the best then do the research. If not I think they'll be fine. Same as everyone buying last years tv models will be FINE.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I would have expected them to cut that price by $20-25 to make it more appealing. Mario Kart 8 is not enough

jshackles

I would have expected them to cut that price by $20-25 to make it more appealing. Mario Kart 8 is not enough
Best Buy is also throwing in a free screen protector! :)messenger_sunglasses:)

Top Bottom