• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health.com - Fattiest foods in the US by state

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20393387,00.html

Traditional American fare—just like the American waistline—is looking more than a little pudgy these days.

Even though some states enjoy healthier reputations than others (Yes, Colorado, we mean you), no state is completely guilt-free when it comes to dishes with huge portion sizes, super-high calorie counts, or sky-high fat content.

So if you want to sample some of these regional favorites on your next road trip, your best bet may be to minimize your portion size.

Considering what they list for California, I'm sure you could find worse stuff for each state. Also note that some of these are listed for a particular state because that's where they originated (i.e. the chocolate chip cookie listing for Massachusetts, or any of the fast food related ones).

--------------------

Alabama: Bacon-wrapped meatloaf

Fat content: One 3-ounce serving of 80% lean meatloaf has roughly 14 grams of fat. Each slice of bacon will cost you an additional 3 grams of fat.

2irolz9.jpg

--------------------

Alaska: Eskimo Ice Cream

Fat content: It’s hard to estimate without a known serving size of this native treat. But consider this: An average serving of reindeer fat packs a whopping 91 grams of fat. A different version made with fish, berries, and seal oil contains 9 grams of fat.

1lq8l.jpg

--------------------

Arizona: Quadruple Bypass Burger

Fat content: Four patties alone clock in at around 60 grams of fat, which is just about the upper limit of 65 grams that the USDA recommends for the average woman eating 2,000 calories a day.

2e2qtd3.jpg

--------------------

Arkansas: Catfish

Fat content: This dish is faux fried in the oven and still packs a whopping 25 grams of fat per serving.

1zqyc7d.jpg

--------------------

California: In-N-Out Burger Double Double

Fat content: 41 grams. A McDonald’s Double Cheeseburger contains a comparably reasonable 23 grams of fat.

2hqb0wz.jpg

--------------------

Colorado: Jack-N-Grill’s 7-pound breakfast burritos

Fat content: A pound of ham and 12 eggs alone have nearly 100 grams of fat, almost twice a woman's upper daily limit for fat, and that’s not counting the fat in the cheese and chili.

2i95jk3.jpg

--------------------

Connecticut: 2-foot-long hot dog

Fat content: The average foot-long hot dog will set you back about 24 grams of fat, 10 grams of it saturated. But this is double that, plus it has bacon, chili, and cheddar cheese.

2f0ga4z.jpg

--------------------

Delaware: Deep-fried pastry

Fat content: Crab is relatively low-fat fare, but many recipes are heavy on butter and mayonnaise. One small puff can have anywhere from 3 grams of fat to 8 grams of fat, and richer recipes can pack as many as 20 grams of fat per serving.

23ud57c.jpg

--------------------

Florida: Empanadas

Fat content: Various recipes for empanadas place them at around 10 to 22 grams of fat each. Depending on what you choose to put inside, an empanada can slide around on the nutritional value scale. Still, as the dough is usually made with lard, it’s never a low-fat choice.

2qixpbs.jpg

--------------------

Georgia: Luther Burger

Fat content: The two Krispy Kreme glazed donuts are worth 24 grams of fat and the patty is another 16.

ek5h7k.jpg

--------------------

Hawaii: Loco Moco

Fat content: Two hamburger patties clock in at 32 grams fat, two eggs have 10 more grams of fat, and a serving of mushroom gravy has about a gram of fat, all of which edge this dish close to the daily recommended limit.

2ns58x3.jpg

--------------------

Idaho: Bacon Bleu Cheese dressing

Ingredients: Chunky blue cheese dressing, hickory smoked bacon

Fat content: 2 tablespoons contain 16 grams of fat, about the same as an entire Burger King cheeseburger.

35cj6uh.jpg

--------------------

Illinois: Deep-dish pizza

Fat content: One serving of the Cheese & Tomato deep dish has 40 grams of fat, 5 more than your recommended daily limit. Add toppings, like sausage or pepperoni, and that can jump as high as 55 grams of fat per serving!

s45cfc.jpg

--------------------

Indiana: Fried-brain sandwich

Fat content: A 6-ounce scoop of beef brain batter fried up at the Hilltop Inn packed about 24 grams of fat. The pork version is estimated to be closer to around 18 grams.

1182l2g.jpg

--------------------

Iowa: Hot beef sundae

Fat content: Following the Iowa State Fair recipe at home will dish out a “sundae” with about 28 grams of fat. Commercially prepared recipes may vary.

2rr53le.jpg

--------------------

Kansas: Charred ends

Fat content: Recipes vary between about 10 to 12 grams of fat per serving.

2wftojp.jpg

--------------------

Kentucky: KFC's Double Down

Fat content: 32 grams in one sandwich

30my5q8.jpg

--------------------

Louisiana: Beignet

Fat content: Recipes estimate that Café du Monde–style beignets clock in at about 11 grams of fat, the same number as in a McDonald’s cheeseburger.

2j4sjzp.jpg

--------------------

Maine: Lobster roll

Fat content: Recipes vary. The lobster roll at New England sandwich shop D’Angelo clocks in at 22 grams of fat, while a small one at New England pizza chain Papa Gino’s averages about 34 grams.

33fesqs.jpg

--------------------

Maryland: Smith Island Cake

Fat content: Most recipes have around 26 grams of fat per serving.

33pfvow.jpg

--------------------

Massachusetts: Chocolate chip cookies

Fat content: The 71-gram cookie at Carl’s Jr. packs a whopping 19 grams of fat and 10 grams of saturated fat.

2ztkos1.jpg

--------------------

Michigan: BLT

Fat content: A pound of bacon clocks in at a whopping 192 grams of fat. That’s about your upper limit over 3 days!

300r31t.jpg

--------------------

Minnesota: Dairy Queen's FlameThrower GrillBurger

Fat content: This behemoth burger has 75 grams of fat and 26 grams of saturated fat, more than enough for an entire day! For about the same amount of fat you could have 5 of the chain's small chocolate shakes!

2q1f2og.jpg

--------------------

Mississippi: Mud Pie

Fat content: A commercially prepared version at nationwide chain Cosi clocks in at 35 grams of fat per serving. Homemade varieties vary between 24 and 38 grams.

10o2zhk.jpg

--------------------

Missouri: Hardee's 2/3 Lb. Monster Thickburger

Fat content: A mind-blowing 95 grams of fat and 36 grams of saturated fat—more than six times the fat in a regular Hardee’s hamburger.

op0fio.jpg

--------------------

Montana: Rocky Mountain Oysters

Fat content: Recipes vary, and it’s hard to pin down nutritional information for a bull’s nether regions, but the deep-fried batter alone is worth at least 5 grams of fat.

o7sf3o.jpg

--------------------

Nebraska: Eskimo Pie

Fat content: 13 grams in one bar

2mnry28.jpg

--------------------

Nevada: Buffets

Ingredients: Just about everything you can imagine, in all-you-can-eat quantities

Fat content: Research shows that patrons are likely to overeat, not know when they are full, and use larger plates at buffet-style restaurants.

mv3p8k.jpg

--------------------

New Hampshire: New England Clam Chowder

Fat content: A 12-ounce serving at nationwide chain Panera Bread contains 34 grams of fat, about half of your upper limit for the entire day, and 20 grams of saturated fat.

1z5px6w.jpg

--------------------

New Jersey: Fat Darrell

Fat content: With two chicken fingers, two mozzarella sticks, and fries, the Fat Darrell is worth an estimated 45 grams of fat.

kbaydd.jpg

--------------------

New Mexico: Frito Pie

Fat content: Depends on the toppings, but this version contains a whopping 46 grams of fat and 14 grams of saturated fat.

64ky8i.jpg

--------------------

New York: Garbage plate

Fat content: While there’s no official dietary analysis for the various versions of garbage plates, estimates and homemade recipes clock in at anywhere from about 93 grams of fat per plate to an astounding 203 grams, enough for more than three days.

f4oi2p.jpg

--------------------

North Carolina: Livermush

Fat content: One popular recipe calls for one liver and a pound and a half of fatty parts for a six-serving batch of livermush, making each serving worth about 30 grams of fat.

2s7cmrm.jpg

--------------------

North Dakota: Fleischkuechle

Fat content: A commercially prepared variety from Cloverdale Foods, a North Dakota meat company, contains 19 grams of fat in one serving size.

jaxt7d.jpg

--------------------

Ohio: Bob Evans' Sausage Biscuit Bowl

Fat content: 61 grams of fat and 28 grams of saturated fat—just about the maximum recommended intake for an entire day.

2i71bub.jpg

--------------------

Oklahoma: Chicken fried steak

Fat content: Recipes vary, but chicken fried steak, at around 26 grams of fat, is likely to cost you.

sqk1uc.jpg

--------------------

Oregon: Brunchbox's Redonkadonk

Fat content: It’s hard to know how much of each ingredient is used in the BrunchBox recipe, but count about 13 grams of fat in a beef patty, 5 grams of fat for each slice of cheese (remember, it’s not just on the burger but in the grilled-cheese buns as well), 3 grams of fat per slice of bacon, and 15 grams per serving of Spam.

24zy683.jpg

--------------------

Pennsylvania: Philly cheesesteak

Fat content: Recipes vary. Commercially prepared versions, like the 6-inch Big Philly Cheesesteak at Subway and the Cheesesteak Sandwich at Nathan’s, range from 18 to 45 grams of fat, respectively.

34igv1e.jpg

--------------------

Rhode Island: New York System Hot Wieners

Fat content: 13 grams of fat for the hot dog and 15 grams of fat in a serving of ground beef. Plus, the ground-beef sauce is usually made with ultra-fatty shortening.

2i13142.jpg

--------------------

South Carolina: Turducken

Fat content: Recipes vary greatly, from as little as 14 grams of fat in a commercially prepared version from CajunGrocer.com, to as much as 53 grams or even a whopping 118 grams of fat in various homemade versions.

zkmobd.jpg

--------------------

South Dakota: Frybread

Fat content: The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimated that one slice of frybread the size of a large paper plate has about 25 grams of fat.

14lowvb.jpg

--------------------

Tennessee: Ruby Tuesday's Triple Prime Bacon Cheddar Burger

Fat content: A whopping 115 grams of fat, almost the limit for two days.

2pq9535.jpg

--------------------

Texas: Corn dog

Fat content: 19 grams, 4 of which come from the dog’s coating

hv85xh.jpg

--------------------

Utah: Scone

Fat content: Recipes vary. Depending on whether it contains butter or butter spread, a scone can cost you between 6 and 8 grams of fat, but others may have about 10 grams of fat per scone.

2yv0xgk.jpg

--------------------

Vermont: Ben & Jerry's Vermonster

Fat content: 20 scoops of ice cream alone will clock in between 120 to 400 grams of fat, depending on which flavors you pick. Let’s hope a Vermonster customer shares it with a very large crowd.

vrzfio.jpg

--------------------

Virginia: Ham

Fat content: A serving of ham generally has around 7 to 9 grams of fat.

2mo3061.jpg

--------------------

Washington: Crab Louis Salad

Fat content: Reduced-fat mayo goes a long way in giving this dish a healthy makeover. Otherwise, consider it an indulgence with between 15 and 25 grams of fat.

kdq4iq.jpg

--------------------

West Virginia: Hillbilly Hotdogs' 10-pound burger

Fat content: 10 pounds of hamburger meat clock in at around 800 grams of fat. That’s an entire day’s worth of fat for more than 12 women, without even counting the cheese.

2ywafxy.jpg

--------------------

Wisconsin: Deep-fried cheese curds

Fat content: Homemade recipes will vary. A&W restaurants make a version that contains 40 grams of fat in an order, and Culver’s has 38 grams of fat, and it’s technically just a side!

29mu3rn.jpg

--------------------

Wyoming: Lamb

Fat content: A 3-ounce serving of lamb chop has about 12 grams of fat.

72zs54.jpg

--------------------

Personally, for California I'd have put one of those ridiculously huge tortas you can get at some Mexican eateries.

Here's Anthony Bourdain ordering one in SF.

"Turns out the torta cubana is at least two meals in one -- a huge monster, weighed down with a delicious mix of: pickled jalapeno, grilled onion, tomato, avocado slices, lettuce, two fried eggs, bacon, mayo, queso, sliced ham & chicken, Mexican chorizo, shredded chicken and pork, refried beans, and cubed ham."

t4whl4.png

Gilby

Fat content doesn't really tell you whether a food is healthy or not. That lamb chop for instance looks completely healthy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pretty much all of those meals seem to be riding the line between delicious and disgusting. That meat loaf is straight up disgusting, though, it looks like some kind of slimey alien larva.
I'll take the scone and the in and out burger, though.

Looks like we got that giant BLT representing my homestate (MI). The pic somehow manages to make bacon look unappealing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cornballer said:
Kinda tempted by that torta you posted at the end. Maybe I'll try that out sometime.
It's in the Mission:

http://www.examiner.com/x-18569-Mis...-Bourdains-Torta-Stop-in-SFs-Mission-District

Thanks to the Travel Channel show, this deli’s now well-known for the Cubana torta. Thick and meaty, this torta is “...just wrong on all levels”, according to Bourdain. Herbivores beware; the Cubana includes everything unholy to you. With ham, breaded beef, hot dogs, chorizo, eggs, cheese, avocado, jalapenos, lettuce, tomato, and mayo sandwiched between two lofty slices of a soft roll, this torta’s something of a novelty. For best results, split it with a compadre or grab a doggy bag for the road.

2San

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right. So glad it's midnight now. Would've gotten so hungry if I saw this during the day(ramadan).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
And the only thing looking even remotely edible, is half of the catfish.

How do people put this stuff inside of them?

This article is stupid. It mentions Chocolate Chip Cookies for Massachusetts and specifically mentions Carl's Jr. Here's a map of Carl's Jr. restaurants:

US.gif

Edit: Huh. That came out weird. Anyway, the easternmost CJ is in far east Texas.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Himuro said:
As a native Texan I can tell you that hot dogs are NOT the most fatty food you can find here. WHAT ABOUT THE BBQ wtf

Dude. You ever been to the Salt Lick?

One of my only exceptions when it comes to that sort of food. Luckily, it's somewhat expensive so I only get it every couple of months.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Absolutely disgusting. Is this because I'm not from the US or something? Honestly, I'm always baffled when I see this kind of threads pop up and people are like "omg looks so good". Just looking at those pictures would make me feel sick if I were sensitive.

Kilrogg said:
Absolutely disgusting. Is this because I'm not from the US or something? Honestly, I'm always baffled when I see this kind of threads pop up and people are like "omg looks so good". Just looking at those pictures would make me feel sick if I were sensitive.

a lot of it looks gross but a double double? fuck off

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Edit: Huh. That came out weird. Anyway, the easternmost CJ is in far east Texas.

Oh I knew exactly what I was looking at. I think it's amazing that you can still tell the shape of America going only by fast food locations.

Also they should have gone with Fatburger for California. It says fat right in the name.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Some of this stuff looks awful, and some of it looks amazing. Also some of it really doesn't even look that bad for you. That being said, the vermonster looks pretty awesome, and I really wanna try that krispy kreme burger.

JGS

Banned
The KFC Double Down is not a KY regional favorite!:lol

All the unhealthy stuff Kentuckians eat and they pick that.

B Miggs

Neo Member
I lived in New York City for 4 years and I've had a house in Upstate New York for 18 years and I have never seen the Garbage Plate. I thought I had the state covered, but I guess not.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
I've never even heard of some of this crap. And then listing simple things like catfish, ham, corn dogs, and lamb for some states? Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom