• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health.com - Fattiest foods in the US by state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trent Strong said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
wrong again - it's metabolized by the liver and essentially creates harmful triglycerides.

Also, the studies you've posted don't even say what you think they say:

"At a meeting in Chicago, AMA delegates backed a resolution that argues that there's no scientific proof that high fructose corn syrup deserves the blame for obesity more than sugar or other caloric sweeteners."

This was a study about HFCS vs sucrose, which are basically the same chemically - 50/50 vs 55/45 glucose/fructose.

Also hilarious from that study:

The AMA says it isn't thrilled with the level of research on high fructose corn syrup, partly because there isn't a lot of research on the health effects of high fructose corn syrup and also because of industry funding for much of that work.

Your articles are from 2008 as well, and based solely on an AMA report that compares HFCS to sucrose...which has nothing to do with the health effects of fructose (which is in both in near equal proportions)....Nice try though! :lol

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Since we've gone down to just articles, I'll join in. Lustig is the guy from the Sugar: The bitter truth presentation. He is a former obesity researcher but now focuses on treating obesity in kids.

Lustig’s own groundbreaking studies more than a decade ago stimulated the development of his controversial ideas about metabolism and biological feedback in weight control. One not-yet-popular idea is that, calorie for calorie, sugar causes more insulin resistance in the liver than other edibles. The pancreas then has to release more insulin to satisfy the liver’s needs. High insulin levels, in turn, interfere with the brain’s receipt of signals from a hormone called leptin, secreted by fat cells, Lustig believes.

In the 1990s, Lustig worked with children diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity, a disorder that can occur after brain tumor surgery. The children were making more insulin than was necessary for normal energy storage in fat cells. Lustig thought the kids were not receiving signals from leptin, which helps send a message that the appetite has been sated.

Lustig concluded that the children’s brains were fooled into thinking that they were starving. Lustig administered a drug called octreotide, known to block insulin release. Insulin levels fell; the children ate less, lost weight, spontaneously became more active and improved their quality of life.

http://www.ucsf.edu/science-cafe/ar...bolic-syndrome-driven-by-fructose-sugar-diet/

Either Lustig is lying, or Trent and the conventional wisdom are wrong. If a calorie is just a calorie, then kids should be calculating their calories just right so that they overeat just enough to support vertical growth and do exercise to keep fat down. But here kids were given a drug to fix the broken satiety and fat storage metabolism. Their metabolism went up and their hunger went down.

This is precisely the role of leptin and a healthy hypothalamus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamus#Control_of_food_intake

Fructose breaks this satiety feedback system in many people. Just look at these google results...it's all over the medical literature:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=e0b0c10063c00c14

Just because it's not from "Time" or other generic media, or Dr Phil, or Dr Oz doesn't talk about it, doesn't mean it isn't real science. (In fact I think that would support it not to be associated with these wackos).

It won't be long until the evidence is so overwhelming that the USDA/FDA will have to stop taking money bags from corporate interests. The evidence is approaching levels of "smoking causes cancer" sort of evidence.

kottila said:
2j4sjzp.jpg

Why would someone put 300 grams of powdered sugar on something that's already sweet?
it's flavorless really. the powdered sugar drowned on top of a warm beignet is like. morning wood and your GF comes over to service your penis.

DMPrince said:
it's flavorless really. the powdered sugar drowned on top of a warm beignet is like. morning wood and your GF comes over to service your penis.
God yes. Beignets are so freaking good. The texture of the powdered sugar is amazing on them when they're warm. I'm so glad I don't live anywhere near these things.

elrechazao said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
wrong again - it's metabolized by the liver and essentially creates harmful triglycerides.

Also, the studies you've posted don't even say what you think they say:

"At a meeting in Chicago, AMA delegates backed a resolution that argues that there's no scientific proof that high fructose corn syrup deserves the blame for obesity more than sugar or other caloric sweeteners."

This was a study about HFCS vs sucrose, which are basically the same chemically - 50/50 vs 55/45 glucose/fructose.

Also hilarious from that study:

The AMA says it isn't thrilled with the level of research on high fructose corn syrup, partly because there isn't a lot of research on the health effects of high fructose corn syrup and also because of industry funding for much of that work.

Your articles are from 2008 as well, and based solely on an AMA report that compares HFCS to sucrose...which has nothing to do with the health effects of fructose (which is in both in near equal proportions)....Nice try though! :lol

Sucrose is not a poison.

Trent Strong said:
Sucrose is not a poison.
Keep digging man. It's clear though that you don't know what sucrose is,so how would you know the health effects of its component sugars" Trying to pretend now that you do after those links is just funny.

I had a thought that I'm not sure if it was addressed:

If I'm reading that list right, Florida's fattiest food is an empanada? I imagine Cuban sandwiches look fucking deadly in comparison.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Aussie cheese fries from the authentic Australian restaurant, Outback Steakhouse is probably the deadliest food in merica. Tastes good, though.

Buttchin

Trent Strong said:
What is the point of this? You can die from water intoxication.

that was the point... dose makes the poison... it was in regards to things used in vaccines mostly...

just thought it was cool seeing the levels needed to make NaCl toxic, and they did the calculation for sugar too.. i forgot what it was but its LD50 was like 5 lbs at once lol...

people also like to throw around the term toxic, poison etc all willy nilly when they really mean other things like its a carcinogen, very unhealthy etc... nothing more, its a tangent bascially

and back on topic... loaded fries are awesome.... terrible for you by anyones standards but so freaking delicious

elrechazao said:
Keep digging man. It's clear though that you don't know what sucrose is,so how would you know the health effects of its component sugars" Trying to pretend now that you do after those links is just funny.

Keep digging? Dude, sucrose is in fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables.

Buttchin said:
that was the point... dose makes the poison... it was in regards to things used in vaccines mostly...

just thought it was cool seeing the levels needed to make NaCl toxic, and they did the calculation for sugar too.. i forgot what it was but its LD50 was like 5 lbs at once lol...

people also like to throw around the term toxic, poison etc all willy nilly when they really mean other things like its a carcinogen, very unhealthy etc... nothing more, its a tangent bascially

and back on topic... loaded fries are awesome.... terrible for you by anyones standards but so freaking delicious

Oh, I see. My bad. That's actually a great point.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Trent Strong said:
Keep digging? Dude, sucrose is in fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables.

Oh, I see. My bad. That's actually a great point.

Sucrose = Glucose-(bond)-Fructose

Fructose is a dose dependent poison, much like other poisons like alcohol. The trivial amounts in whole foods is nothing compared to what's in juices, sodas, and most packaged food. We've gone from about 10 lbs of sugar per year on average to over 150 lbs. Lustig talks about dose being crucial and how fructose consumption started increasing sharply in the 1970s.

Even stuff that's good for you that's in vegetables in 100x the amount is extremely toxic if not deadly. Iron is an example. Take 10,000% iron, and you'll die. But eating spinach daily is good for you in part because it's high in iron.

Regarding the sugar #s, source USDA:
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/EIB33/EIB33.pdf

Page 18. The rise in sugar consumption between 1970-2007 isn't that big, but keep in mind they aren't factoring in juice. Juice was rare before 1970. Now most grocery stores have an entire isle of juice. It's a huge increase of sugar, and Lustig talks about adding this on top of these numbers.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Snuggler said:
Aussie cheese fries from the authentic Australian restaurant, Outback Steakhouse is probably the deadliest food in merica.
I dunno, that Colorado monstrosity looks pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom