• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health.com - Fattiest foods in the US by state

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Buttchin said:
No nick tahoes and the garbage plate are from Rochester.
Buffalo made the equally great buffalo wings. Should be a tie for fattiest food from ny tbh
shit, rochester is what i meant. my bad!

Oni Jazar

grumble said:
How can people say 'yum' to any of this?

Catfish? beignets? a cookie? an empanada? a slice of deep dish pizza? Lobster roll? Clam Chowder? Ruby Tuesday's triple prime burger? Corn dog? Scone? Lamb chops?

Yum x 11.

And wtf is up with the philly cheesesteak with ketchup?

ethic

Cooter said:
Fat is so overblown. Calories and carbs are a better indication of weight gain than fat.

It depends. Trans Fat and High Fructose Corn Syrup can lead to more weight gain than foods that don't have those ingredients, but still have higher calorie count.

Natetan

Oni Jazar said:
Catfish? beignets? a cookie? an empanada? a slice of deep dish pizza? Lobster roll? Clam Chowder? Ruby Tuesday's triple prime burger? Corn dog? Scone? Lamb chops?

Yum x 11.

And wtf is up with the philly cheesesteak with ketchup?

Was going to say beignets are delicious. Just don't eat them all the time.

Some of that stuff is gross though.

Oni Jazar

Natetan said:
Was going to say beignets are delicious. Just don't eat them all the time.

They compare it to a McDonald's cheeseburger. Have they seen a McDonald's cheeseburger lately? I've seen bigger chicken mcnuggets.

Blackface

Banned
Some saturated fat in a persons diet is fine. But some of this stuff is just completely retarded. That being said America freaks out about Fat to much. I eat about 60-80 grams of fat a day when I am cutting.

Chris R

Ferrio said:
Yep. Nasty nasty stuff, luckily I haven't been offered it. The natives have some interesting foods to say the least. Raw whale.... mmmm.

Remember one time in my dorms a group had their tribe send them some whale. They butchered a huge chunk of it in the commons room and didn't clean up. Stuff is horribly nasty.
I had some freshly prepared in 5th grade :( stuff was fucking nasty, the ice cream that is. Blubber properly salted isn't horrible but twice is enough for one life.

Mashing

Himuro said:
As a native Texan I can tell you that corn dogs are NOT the most fatty food you can find here. WHAT ABOUT THE BBQ wtf

I know right.. I truly expected Bar-b-que to be the Texas dish.

ethic said:
It depends. Trans Fat and High Fructose Corn Syrup can lead to more weight gain than foods that don't have those ingredients, but still have higher calorie count.
He said calories and carbs...what do you think HFCS is if not a straight carbohydrate?

Yes, trans fats are bad.

ATF487

ShallNoiseUpon said:
This article is stupid. It mentions Chocolate Chip Cookies for Massachusetts and specifically mentions Carl's Jr. Here's a map of Carl's Jr. restaurants:

US.gif

Edit: Huh. That came out weird. Anyway, the easternmost CJ is in far east Texas.

Yeah, I said to myself, "I've never seen a Carl's Jr. before." Why they gotta misrepresent our fair state

edit: OK, apparently the chocolate chip cookie was invented here, but it seems weird that they'd mention the nutrition of an out of state fast food franchise

Aselith

I'm genuinely shocked that all of these novelty-sized foods contain large amounts of fat. Who would have thought that a 10 pound cheeseburger contains more than the recommended daily allowance of fat. And fast foods fatty? Surely you jest, my good man.

Color me suprised.

Vague

Cool I guess but what's the point?
Dietary fat is not correlated to weight gain or poor health and disease, refined carbohydrates are. Fructose is. (Fructose is literally poison.)
I've been eating 100-160g of fat a day as 50-70% of my calories, mostly saturated, the rest protein and like 0-5% carbs, for over six months while lifting weights and losing bodyfat. :lol

I love that people are finally understanding that saturated fat is perfectly healthy. Seriously, I've noticed a huge change recently (not just on GAF), and it warms my heart that people are getting clued in. Good stuff, people.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I stopped eating meat yesterday and this thread is making it a lot easier grossssssss

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Boonoo said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Is Texas even known for corndogs? I've never specifically thought of them as something Texan.
They could have done something fun like beef ribs.
2701691892_761602a114.jpg

1) Corndogs were invented at the Texas state fair and more are sold here than any other state.

2) That is not the way Texas BBQ looks. That is Memphis/KC style BBQ. Texas BBQ has a dry rub and is not bathed in sauce.

3) and probably most importantly. Ribs are not a mainstay of Texas BBQ. Brisket is king. Sausage is 2nd. Ribs fall into the same category as pork chops and chicken... something that you should be able to cook, but is not required.

You fail at describing Texas.

Zeke

StoOgE said:
1) Corndogs were invented at the Texas state fair and more are sold here than any other state.

2) That is not the way Texas BBQ looks. That is Memphis/KC style BBQ. Texas BBQ has a dry rub and is not bathed in sauce.

3) and probably most importantly. Ribs are not a mainstay of Texas BBQ. Brisket is king. Sausage is 2nd. Ribs fall into the same category as pork chops and chicken... something that you should be able to cook, but is not required.

You fail at describing Texas.
fucking nailed it :D
210wojq.jpg

Acerac

Banned
sefskillz said:
shit, rochester is what i meant. my bad!
As a Buffalo resident, I just assumed you meant that Buffalo was a plate of garbage, not that the dish has originated from here.

I would agree.

Sirius

Screw the fat content, these items should specify the no. of days that are knocked off one's lifespan for consuming it.

Lunchbox

Banned
some of these states have no legacy or creativity. they just shove shit on top of each other, or replace bread with more fat. just more =/= good.

North east > rest

Gilby said:
not really.
Watch this lecture.

That lecture is bullshit. This guy is trying to sell books. If you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight. Burning more calories than you eat, and yet somehow gaining weight, would violate the laws of physics.

Vague said:
Cool I guess but what's the point?
Dietary fat is not correlated to weight gain or poor health and disease, refined carbohydrates are. Fructose is. (Fructose is literally poison.)
I've been eating 100-160g of fat a day as 50-70% of my calories, mostly saturated, the rest protein and like 0-5% carbs, for over six months while lifting weights and losing bodyfat. :lol

Really? Because I eat fructose everyday and I'm not dead. (I also have been the same weight for 15 years, even though I eat HFCS in nearly every meal.)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Trent Strong said:
Really? Because I eat fructose everyday and I'm not dead.
You just think you're not, I'm sure!

Few people realize that fructose will be the true cause of the zombie apocalypse.

Aaron

MASSACHUSETTS GETS A COOKIE?! WHAT THE SHIT IS THIS?! THERE ISN'T A CARLS JR ANYWHERE NEAR MASS!

They really half assed that list for sure.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Lunchbox said:
some of these states have no legacy or creativity. they just shove shit on top of each other, or replace bread with more fat. just more =/= good.

North east > rest

Texas has to get some credit for having the first person who thought about dipping something random in batter and frying it.

Without that contribution to society other people at the Texas state fair never would have thought about frying twinkies, snickers bars, ice cream, coke or butter.

Aegus

StoOgE said:
Texas has to get some credit for having the first person who thought about dipping something random in batter and frying it.

Without that contribution to society other people at the Texas state fair never would have thought about frying twinkies, snickers bars, ice cream, coke or butter.

200px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png

My state gets fucking Ham.

All this delicious shit, and you put HAM on my state.

kottila said:
2j4sjzp.jpg

Why would someone put 300 grams of powdered sugar on something that's already sweet?

DO NOT QUESTION. They are delicious. I ate 6 last week. ( I had no idea how fattening they were)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom