• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Previous Threads:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878696
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782919
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755759

------

Hr3iXm8.jpg

What is Hearthstone?
Hearthstone is a free-to-play online Collectible Card Game (F2POCCG, which is a real genre) from Blizzard, based on the Warcraft universe. Choose a hero corresponding to one of the nine classes in Vanilla WoW and create a deck using their signature mechanics to fight other players in Casual or Ranked matchmaking. Earn Gold for every three wins and use the Gold to buy booster packs in order to expand your card pool, or use the Gold to purchase a ticket to the Arena where you construct your own deck on the fly using a random pool of all cards in the game. There is no offline play, but there are singleplayer adventure modes.

Download the client (Windows, Mac) on the main site. Note, you will also need a Blizzard account to log in to their launcher.

How to play Hearthstone?
I'm not going to go into that here, just play the tutorial to learn the game.

How to really play Hearthstone?
Read articles, apply critical thinking, watch good streamers like Trump.

Is there an in-game/player-driven economy?
No. There is no card trading or buying cards from other players and there probably won't be anytime in the foreseeable future. In its place is a crafting system. You can disenchant cards you do not want for arcane dust. You can then use that arcane dust to craft cards you do want.

Is this game Pay2Win?'
Of a sort. The thing you should know about Hearthstone is that if you're not going to pay money, plan on playing a lot (read: grinding) or becoming really good at Arena. The longer a player has played, the bigger their card pool will be. This means that an older, frequent player will always have better cards than a newer player. This is just an unavoidable part of collectible card games.

A paying player can save a lot of time by buying boosters, but it's not cheap and they're not guaranteed the best of the best cards, which is, in the end, what separates good decks from the best decks. Buying some boosters right off, however, will help you build a foundation to reliably win games in order to get Gold.

If you really hate not having good cards, then stick to Arena, which is a "level" playing field for a certain definition of "level".

What's the balance like?
This far post release, the Hearthstone team is committed to only affecting balance changes when they are "absolutely necessary".

If I like MTG/YGO/blah blah blah, will I like this?
Hearthstone is simplistic compared to games like MTG and YGO. The reason for this is because of Hearthstone's asynchronous turns, which means that you can't make any moves on your opponents turns. Hearthstone does have it's own particular brand of complexity, but it's really designed from the ground up to be a "pick up and play game". If you're looking for a hardcore card game experience like MTG, you won't find it here, but if you're looking for a streamlined card game experience you can jump in and out of whenever you want, then Hearthstone is right for you.

Anyway it's free, so you don't lose much by giving it a shot.

peI9qrv.jpg

Le Reddit Guide - Probably the best place to start if you're totally new.
Trump Teachings - A video series by one of the game's most notable streamers. This is essentially Hearthstone 101 and is mandatory viewing for any new player looking for a crash course in Hearthstone strategy.
Liquid Hearth's Beginner Guides - Some of the info is outdated but the general ideas remain the same.
Three Competing Resources Parts 1, 2, 3 - A series of articles on "resources" in the context of a card game, which goes well beyond just mana.
Gold, Arcane Dust, and Real Money Tips - Some tips from yours truly about how you should be managing your gold, arcane dust, and any real money with Hearthstone.

zmCTLEI.jpg

Official Forums - A veritable nest of QQ and cries for nerf, just like your WoW days!
Team Liquid's Hearthstone Portal - Better place to discuss and learn about Hearthstone, frequently featuring competitive analysis and deck tech articles.
IHearthU - Another good site for high level Hearthstone discourse.
Hearthpwn and Managrind - Part of the Curse family of gaming sites, not only does it have an online database of cards and deck building tool, it is also home to ManaGrind, one of the premiere Hearthstone tournaments!
Hearthstone Wiki - Obligatory game wiki.
HearthArena - This website will help you out while drafting for arena. You enter the three cards you are presented for each pick and the tool will attempt to recommend you the best pick based on a general tier list and your current deck.
Gutshot's Hearthstone Collection Spreadsheet - You can use this to keep track of your current card collection.

jPH90XN.jpg

Amaz: YouTube, Twitch - Over the top reactions, priest-focused. Constructed and arena.
Brian Kibler: YouTube, Twitch - High level, educational stream. Constructed-only.
Forsen: Twitch -"For fun" stream. Politically Incorrect. Twitch at its best/worst depending on who you ask. Constructed-only.
Guardsman Bob: Twitch - High level arena play
Kolento: YouTube, Twitch - Arguably the best player in the world. Very high level stream.
Kripparian: YouTube. Twitch - Decent arena play. Good YouTube content.
Trump: YouTube, Twitch - Nice guy. Lots of good YouTube content. Somewhat high level analysis. Constructed and arena.
Funny and Lucky Moments: YouTube - Crazy play montages.

TBKEMcK.jpg

Hearthstone Calendar
Team Liquid Calendar

squidyj

Man, I'm pretty salty now, dude with no cards topdecks his third truesilver of the game to knock me out 6-3. would have lethaled him next turn and he needed exactly 4 damage to win.

Then, as a 6 win arena i get like 80 gold total instead of the guaranteed 150 from 7 :(

JesseZao

I feel like the Dr. is going to become a shadow of his former self after a nerf. Guess we gotta push through to OT7 or change the title when that happens.

ZealousD

I feel like the Dr. is going to become a shadow of his former self after a nerf. Guess we gotta push through to OT7 or change the title when that happens.

This is actually only the third OT. I think the mods kept incrementing the number every time they changed the title of the last thread =P

embalm

Woot! Just got my first 12 win arena. First time ever drafting a Rag and having a closer like him really makes wrapping up games easier. The real key for me was solid 2 drops and lots of 4 drops. A board of yeti and shredders is usually enough. I might have gone 12-0 if it wasn't for a shaman dropping the dream whirling Zappo on me, protecting it with wolves and weapons.

squidyj

I think I'm going to try just following these heartharena suggestions for an arena run, just to see how the deck turns out.

Edit: It wants me to take frostwolf grunt over dread corsair.... as a rogue.

Levi

Banned
Woot! Just got my first 12 win arena. First time ever drafting a Rag and having a closer like him really makes wrapping up games easier. The real key for me was solid 2 drops and lots of 4 drops. A board of yeti and shredders is usually enough. I might have gone 12-0 if it wasn't for a shaman dropping the dream whirling Zappo on me, protecting it with wolves and weapons.

Congrats! I myself haven't gone beyond 7. Did you get anything cool as a reward?

squidyj

I guess HearthArena is pretty good at understanding what you need based on what you already have, and the tier list is generally pretty good IMO but it doesn't really seem to think about statistical likelihoods of getting activators or combos or certain types of cards in future picks. I ended my draft with a tinker oil an assassin blade a perdition and a deadly poison but I threw back both of the dread corsairs I saw even though one of them was up against frostwolf grunt (which heartharena told me to take) at a point where I at least had the assassin's blade already.

I wound up with a fairly lopsided deck but I don't really blame HearthArena for that, I had a lot of garbage picks that forced me to take a lot of 5 mana dudes.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
9.5k dust to spend now.

I'm deciding if I want to make some Golden Legendary's

Golden Dr. Boom if you want the most mileage out of your golden Legendary.

If you want awesome looking, I think Sneed's is pretty rad looking.

ZealousD

If you're gonna craft a golden legendary, make it Dr. Boom. If he gets nerfed, you get a full refund. If not, then you now have a golden legendary in every single one of your decks.

If you want awesome looking, I think Sneed's is pretty rad looking.

The biggest plus about Golden Sneed's is that it's like you have a gold version of every legendary.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mages are playing counterspell now fuck my life.

*adds another secret to the list of shit I need to account for*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Just run Kezan Mystic like a man.

I do wonder how they will change Boom. Maybe they could make it only a chance for the Boom Bots to actually blow up, and they could just fizzle out and do no bonus damage.

Dahbomb

Bots doing 4 potential damage is the real problem. Damage should be capped at 3 for the bombs and Boom's health decreased by 1.

Fair and balanced change, still would be a very good card.

Xanathus

Boom probably isn't going to be nerfed at this point, instead it looks like Blizz is going to take the approach of adding more cards with equivalent value-to-mana like Boom with card expansions. Basically they're taking the power creep approach.

I keep forgetting the adventure is right around the corner, I haven't saved up any gold at all this time... Might beg the Missus to let me preorder a week before release just for the shiny card back.

Previous thread wall-o-shame!

the fuck, mobius? twice as many as anybody else gat damn

Top 10! I'm... ashamed. I should post less often.

Anyway, someone else mentioned this being OT6. I think this is officially only OT3 or OT4, but the last one was "OT5 Brought to you by Unstable Portal" so the joke was that the OT number got bumped up from 3 to 5 because the Unstable Portal brought it in a couple of OTs early. I think.

At least its a new archetype. Lot more people are playing that tempo mage list so at least its not cancer.

I hope Dr. Balanced is nerfed to a 6/7 just for the lolz.

kiryani

At least its a new archetype. Lot more people are playing that tempo mage list so at least its not cancer.

I hope Dr. Balanced is nerfed to a 6/7 just for the lolz.

I just hope they do actually nerf him rather than fill up the 7 mana slot with other OP cards to try and balance it out

I have 3 Dr.Boom's waiting to DE after a nerf

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the general rule of thumb is as long as I win at least 3 arena games I'm good right? I'll break even?

i just hope they don't nerf boom out of existence. we need good 7 drops.

and blizzard knows it. so i'm hoping we get a couple of good neutral 7 drops that aren't legendaries.

Magnus

Eh. Is there a joke I'm missing in the title? Lol

Yay, I've never made a wall of shame before. I don't think I have, anyway.

Were any new HS cards revealed? Is Dragon Command real?

embalm

Congrats! I myself haven't gone beyond 7. Did you get anything cool as a reward?
I'm pretty sure I struck pretty low on the rewards handout. 1 pack, 245 gold, golden lightning bolt, and golden Nourish. I'm good with the dust though.

I always feel like there are tiers in arena were things get a little harder.
3 or less wins is always random it feels like you can get stomped out or move up easily.
4 to 6 is full of solid players, but sometimes you see the shitiest cards in the game and have to wonder how in the world they ended up picking that.
7 to 10 is great decks and good players, If you can contend here I think you can make it to 12 wins with the right deck.
11 and 12 is just godly decks or players that make crazy good plays.

Dragner

I just noticed the only player linked in the OP is Trump

We should

a) expand the list

or
b) replace him with
lWiIq0i.png

Yeah, plenty of educational streamers...Kibler, Strifecro, Savjz,...I dont think Kolento is very educational, he is very quiet and doesnt talk much.

ferr

Played HS a little when it came out, but just now getting into it again. I've been doing a lot of arenas and enjoying it.

An arena deck I'm currently using has been really effective. Using Druid and LOTS of minions and pumping spells. I dealt 24 damage in one turn on like turn 7 to end the last game, it was hilarious.

Cards like this are in it,

Lots of low-cost cards, mostly nothing over 4 cost. Lots of minions that create other minions upon battlecry or deathrattle. Lots of mass pumping, taunting through spells, etc. Savage Roar is a great spell, reminds me of Overrun in MTG. Dark Whispers + Savage Roar the next turn is nice.

ZealousD

I just noticed the only player linked in the OP is Trump

We should

a) expand the list

or
b) replace him with
lWiIq0i.png

Yeah I actually took off a couple names. I plan to expand the OP a tad when I have the time. Even include a couple educational vids like "how do I gold" that aren't covered by existing resources.

Strider

Bots doing 4 potential damage is the real problem. Damage should be capped at 3 for the bombs and Boom's health decreased by 1.

Fair and balanced change, still would be a very good card.

Yea I'd be cool with this. It'd still be a powerful card... But it's just disgusting everytime a 1/1 bot can take out a 5 health minion which has happened to me way too many times. The bots being able to deal 4 damage is just nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom