• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is there no room for midrange right now? You seem to need to be really fast or one of(kazakus and reno) late game? Every midrange deck I make has been getting destroyed. Could be my fault though.

Midrange Shaman and Dragon Priest can do okay, but all the other midrange decks are pretty much out. Too easy for many midrange decks to just outright lose to pirate openers.

Edit: Kripp plays arena, but everytime he complains it goes faster

midrange paladin with your clasical minibot into muster, boom, tirion and rag works for me in wild, I also run two murloc knights for fast board repopulation

Barely managed to beat a golem druid with my pirate warrior deck which didn't draw a weapon the entire game........won with a 9 mana 12 damage mortal strike + leeroy combo or I'd have been dead the next turn

Turn 6 this Rogue plays Auctioneer and proceeds to draw 5 cards and stealth their board.

Yet somehow people think that card isn't a problem lol. It needs to be rotated out so badly.

Turn 6 this Rogue plays Auctioneer and proceeds to draw 5 cards and stealth their board.

Yet somehow people think that card isn't a problem lol. It needs to be rotated out so badly.

Auctioneer is part of a very fun and high skilled archetype. So yes, lets get rid of it completely. Tomb pillager is already being rotated.

I think you just gotta accept that sometimes people have the nut hand/draws that are difficult to overcome. You can't balance a game by removing every strong card, it also makes it pretty boring. We need more decks like miracle rogue, not less.

Auctioneer is part of a very fun and high skilled archetype. So yes, lets get rid of it completely. Tomb pillager is already being rotated.

I think you just gotta accept that sometimes people have the nut hand/draws that are difficult to overcome. You can't balance a game by removing every strong card, it also makes it pretty boring. We need more decks like miracle rogue, not less.

Get rid of it completely by putting it in Wild? The whole point of rotating it would be that it still exists outside of Standard.

I get you like Rogue but playing Auctioneer on 6 and being able to draw 5 cards off it AND stealth it is broken. There's no way around that.

It's been brought up in the past about limiting design space. Auctioneer does exactly that so rotate it out.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Get rid of it completely by putting it in Wild? The whole point of rotating it would be that it still exists outside of Standard.

I get you like Rogue but playing Auctioneer on 6 and being able to draw 5 cards off it AND stealth it is broken. There's no way around that.

It's been brought up in the past about limiting design space. Auctioneer does exactly that so rotate it out.

I don't know if I'd call it broken, but it certainly shouldn't be something that we deal with forever in standard.

e:
Anyone try fight promoter in paladin yet? I kinda want to try it out but... don't feel like crafting an epic.

Every strong card in some way limits design space. That is a non-argument.

And yes I like rogue. We can point out biases all day. For a long time I wasn't a fan of how powerful auctioneer was, then they nerfed it.

Auctioneer on turn 6 and drawing 5 cards off it is just too rare to complain about. Usually you have to wait til turn 8 or sometimes even longer to get that kind of cycle off it. Judging a card off the extremes is not a fair way to evaluate a card's strength, and I don't think it's broken because it can hit the dream turn occasionally. You simply cannot call a card broken on the outlier results. That is just really bad.

I get that losing to a card sucks sometimes, especially when you don't feel like you can do that much about it. That's card games though. Sometimes you lose to outliers.

I don't know if I'd call it broken, but it certainly shouldn't be something that we deal with forever in standard.

I can get the desire to see staple cards change. But if they are aiming to promote a different feeling among the different decks in the game, auctioneer is actually a card that doesn't have a significant amount of overlap between the different classes. It's been by far vastly used in rogue. While sure, I don't think auctioneer should be evergreen forever, I don't think auctioneer needs to go with the upcoming set, before they actually get around to developing other rogue archetypes. Plus tomb pillager is already going to be a significant blow to the deck type.

Pooya

iksar said rogue identity is to have best card draw, even if they remove auctioneer they replace it with something similar. They gave it so much support, I'm not sure about it's going away.

Is drawing cards on turn 6 even a big deal when others just win before 6?

iksar said rogue identity is to have best card draw, even if they remove auctioneer they replace it with something similar. They gave it so much support, I'm not sure about it's going away.

Yeah, good point. I was thinking about that as well. Rogue's identity is about single target removal and card draw. Removing auctioneer pretty much guts that identity. Sprint is not a good draw tool. It only really worked when blade flurry was around and now that that is gone...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Print a new rogue only card that has insane card draw then. Maybe a card that draws one card for every card played that turn, like a card draw version of Van Cleef.

Worse in the sense that you can't play those cards you draw that turn for more draws, but could be better by being cheaper.

scarlet

Haven't played paladin since MSoG. And picked paladin in arena. I drafted a lot of wrong card cuz I didn't read the text and assume it was buff, apparently buff just for murloc lol.

And accidentally skipped consecrate, cuz all I see was ogre :|

spoon!

Prep feels like to me more of the issue than Auctioneer. Auctioneer's role is to increase deck velocity, which there isn't anything inherently wrong with it. With the last nerf he comes late enough in the game so that most combinations of spells it's okay. It's when you get Auctioneer, Coin, Prep, Fan of Knives, Prep, etc. going the Rogue's deck velocity goes so fast it starts feeling unfair. If for example, you make Prep cost 1, reduce 4, it becomes much harder to cycle through the deck than now. Not saying that's the right nerf, but I'd much prefer something like that than moving Auctioneer to wild....

Blizzard

Banned
I hit rank 19 with that mostly free Druid deck we were discussing earlier. Thanks!

I got super lucky and didn't feel like I deserved the last two wins, though. Both times I drew a clutch damage spell one or two turns before I would have lost. One of those times I only won because the C'Thun was buried in the bottom 12 cards of the other player's deck.

Miletius

Print a new rogue only card that has insane card draw then. Maybe a card that draws one card for every card played that turn, like a card draw version of Van Cleef.

Worse in the sense that you can't play those cards you draw that turn for more draws, but could be better by being cheaper.

I think they tried, experimenting with cards like thistle tea. Problem is thistle tea was too random to be a good draw engine. What they ought to do is create a card like thistle tea but with a discover mechanic. That has potential, for sure.

I crafted Aviana to make a Kun'Thun deck (I had all other cards), and managed to fall 4 Ranks in about 90 minutes.

I dont really care as the combo is glourious

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blizzard has commented on the direction of 1-drops: http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/16/t...an-changed-everything-and-where-it-goes-next/

VentureBeat said:
GamesBeat: Talking about Small Time Buccaneer, Hearthstone has seen 1 mana minions grow in power since the original set. Do you think Small Time Buccaneer is too powerful?

Whalen: It’s definitely powerful. It’s a build-around in the sense that you change what cards are in your deck to support it. You play more cheap weapons in Shaman and Warrior. Rogue gets a cheap weapon for free, so [Small Time Buccaneer] doesn’t need to do much work. You put things like Patches in your deck, other pirate synergies, especially in the Warrior archetype.

But yeah, powerful 1-drops — we’re keeping a very close eye on. Our philosophy has been that having powerful 1 drops in the metagame allows us to drive decks and keep interesting things happening in the early game. It allows us to have powerful aggro archetypes, and it also to allow decks to combat powerful aggro archetypes. But it’s something that, going forward, we’ll pull back on a bit.

With the new Standard rotation, Tunnel Trogg, one of the most powerful 1 drops we’ve ever made, will move into Wild. In the near future we’re going to try and make fewer powerful 1 drops, especially ones that tend to snowball. If they sit on the board for a long time, they continue to become more powerful. In the classic set we had Mana Wyrm and Flame Imp, which are also very strong. But going forward we’ll try and look for more 1 drops like Zombie Chow or Swashburglar or Babbling Book that have powerful effects, but it’s OK if they sit on the board for three or four turns. They don’t immediately drive the game toward a conclusion.

And the future of Arena:

GamesBeat: As more cards become available in Arena with every expansion, do you think there’s a point where there are too many in the draft pool?

Whalen: We’ve been talking about Arena a ton. We say that a lot … we want to find ways to make it better. One of the things we’re talking about is finding a way to limit the cards that can show up. Maybe one month it’s different from the next. Maybe we go for a Standard solution that matches the ranked play experience as well. Maybe the most recent set is 10 times as likely to show up as others. Maybe spells are more likely to show up. Maybe it’s something we change every month to keep Arena more fresh. All these things are on the table.

We just got some new technology to allow design to have more fine-tuned control over the Arena experience. We’re going to take advantage of that and figure out what are the best things we can do to make Arena a good experience for both newer players and the very experienced players who’ve played thousands of Arena games.

GamesBeat: What’s this new technology you’re talking about?

Whalen: Before, in order to make Arena changes, we had to do a lot of engineering and code base manipulation. An engineer had to spend a lot of time on it. We’ve gotten a tool that, going forward, will let designers make changes to specific arena environments. An individual card can show up less or more. If we wanted to make Flamestrike show up 10 times as often, because we really want to buff Mage in Arena, we could do that. Or on the flip side, we could make minions show up less or more. We can curate a very specific arena experience if that’s something we’re interested in. We just got that tool, so now we’re trying to figure out the best ways to make use of it.

GamesBeat: So a card’s rarity wouldn’t matter as much.

Whalen: Exactly. We can have mixed rarity picks. If we say, OK, Firelands Portal is a powerful card so we want it to show up as often as a rare or epic, that’s something we can do.

GamesBeat: So instead of rarity, there can be tiers of cards: really powerful, pretty powerful, weaker, and so on.

Whalen: Yeah, that’s definitely something we could do. Or if we wanted Murlocs to show up more often, we could do that. You get Murloc Warleader, and now your deck is more likely to come together. We have a lot of crazy ideas in that space. We don’t have anything to announce right now, but that’s an area we’re exploring. We’re excited about it.

wiibomb

I know Nintendo moves slow for most things they do, but my goodness Team 5 moves like a snail, the changes on HS seems to move like 1 per year.

I know this game requires a huge amount of engineering to make a change that doesn't break everything, but I'm feeling this team just fears every change

Great news about the 1 drops at least. There's very little worse in Hearthstone than being forced to answer a 1 or 2 drop immediately or else you lose the game. I'm glad Blizzard is finally realizing that.

Anyway, managed to hit rank 5 with Jade Druid. All I heard was how horrible this deck is and how nobody plays it. Finally tried it for the first time and I winstreaked from rank 8 to rank 5 without a single loss, beating a few aggro decks along the way even. I really should have given this deck a try sooner.

Blizzard

Banned
I know Nintendo moves slow for most things they do, but my goodness Team 5 moves like a snail, the changes on HS seems to move like 1 per year.

I know this game requires a huge amount of engineering to make a change that doesn't break everything, but I'm feeling this team just fears every change
It does sound like the Arena thing is a good move, e.g. non-programmers will be able to modify the rates of stuff.

Maybe they don't have a lot of engineering support.

Blizzard

Banned
no new features?
replays for instance that should have been in the game a long time ago
It's interesting how this kind of parallels League of Legends. People wanted that feature FOREVER, there was basically unofficial support for a long time (like Hearthstone), but it was apparently pretty complicated (even more so with League because of all the drastic gameplay changes I guess).

People also wanted a practice mode, there were all sorts of arguments against it, but it finally came out and it turns out that, shocker, it's actually awesome.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The issue is more that they had to build up the team and then re-engineer the game.

When they game launched, they were only 15 people. They're 70+ now, but a lot of that was in the last year, so there's a lead time on getting people up to speed, building the framework for faster updates, and then actually making the new content.

There's also the Unity 5 migration they did, which I imagine halted a lot of work, and then they had to do everything for the new platforms, adventures, brawls, and increased number of new cards prior to that.

If you look at some of their other games, they were similarly rather slow until they got the needed production pipelines in place.

If it's still slow on the feature front this year though, that would suggest some more fundamental issues.

Great news about the 1 drops at least. There's very little worse in Hearthstone than being forced to answer a 1 or 2 drop immediately or else you lose the game. I'm glad Blizzard is finally realizing that.

When a turn 2 Doomsayer dies due to your opponent doing nothing but playing on curve you know your 1 drops are taking the piss.

Something has to be done, the current situation of being immediately steamrollered by an aggro deck quicker than ever really kills the enthusiasm to keep playing.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It's great that they are attempting to more actively manage the Arena experience. If they finally divorce rarity from card power in arena that would be the best thing they have ever done for the mode, hands down. The little tweaks over the years to X cards showing up less has helped, but being systematic about it from the start is probably a better way. I love playing arena, even though I don't do it too frequently. I hope whatever they do gets more people to give that mode a chance. It really is fun, and doesn't require any collection whatsoever. Just solid fundamentals.

Forbidden Blades: Spend all your mana. Draw that many cards.

Okay that's way too broken. How about: draw as many cards as the difference between enemy minions and your minions in play.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Doesn't matter. If it's a good card, we'll be right back to the same "omg this card is toxic rotate it already" space we've already reached with literally every good card in the game.

I'm glad to hear they're taking a look at one drops. It's insane to me that a one drop like Tunnel Trog pretty much *has* to be answered by using a 2-mana spell (either coined or on turn two) or you just immediately get snowballed. That card should have been a 1-2 from day one. At least with something like Flamewaker you have a few turns to draw an answer, if you figure out it's Tempo Mage and don't need it for a crazy Mana Wyrm (another OP one-drop.)

When talking Arena though, they said they could arrange cards by power level. I hope they don't go that route. As is, at least if someone lucks out and gets rarer cards than you, they aren't guaranteed to be "better."

When a turn 2 Doomsayer dies due to your opponent doing nothing but playing on curve you know your 1 drops are taking the piss.

Something has to be done, the current situation of being immediately steamrollered by an aggro deck quicker than ever really kills the enthusiasm to keep playing.

The craziest thing is that PW can counter a coined turn-one Doomsayer.

PW starts with STB, Patches is summoned.

You coin out Doomsayer.

They play Fiery War Axe, buffing their STB to 3 damage, so 3+3+1=7 to kill the Doomsayer without losing anything but 7 damage to your face. Yes, that's significant against aggro; but when they still have a board and weapon in hand and you have two mana to stem the tide, you're probably screwed anyway.

wiibomb

The issue is more that they had to build up the team and then re-engineer the game.

When they game launched, they were only 15 people. They're 70+ now, but a lot of that was in the last year, so there's a lead time on getting people up to speed, building the framework for faster updates, and then actually making the new content.

There's also the Unity 5 migration they did, which I imagine halted a lot of work, and then they had to do everything for the new platforms, adventures, brawls, and increased number of new cards prior to that.

If you look at some of their other games, they were similarly rather slow until they got the needed production pipelines in place.

If it's still slow on the feature front this year though, that would suggest some more fundamental issues.

ok good perspective, I didn't know most of these, thanks for the clarification, it helps me a lot to judge on whether or not they could be capable of.

bjaelke

Vicious Syndicate: Top Cards Played During the Mean Streets of Gadgetzan Meta

EhSajS0.png

The gap between Azure Drake and the next card is alarming.
50% of the cards played in the current Meta are Basic and Classic cards.
Rogue is the class most reliant on these cards, with 62% of the cards it plays consisting of the evergreens. Priest and Shaman sit on the other end of the spectrum at 38%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom