• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlet

I'm playing non-Reno control decks and I don't think I've played against a dragon priest that hasn't dropped at least 4-5 operatives, win or lose. Dragonfire definitely helps too but my god, so many operatives is unbelievably frustrating.

Dragon priest mirror match is a nightmare. Basically who discovers and got more DO wins.

Dahbomb

Against a Renolock I would always fish from their deck vs my own if I am playing Dragon Priest. Better chance to gain something I can actually win the match up with.

Same for Anyfin Paladin.

It's kinda deck and situation dependent whether drawing from own deck is better than the opponent's deck. In most cases drawing from your deck is better but not always especially if you are playing a non combo deck.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing to remember is it's card creation, not draw, which again depends on the situation for if that's a positive, but I think that's a positive in general for a deck like dragon priest. See the millions of Dragonoid Operatives that can get created in the mirror match.

In the past week it looks like my pity timer clocked in on my Whispers/Gadgetzan/TGT packs, so I dont think I am going to buy any more cards from either of these sets. In fact, I am just going to start saving cash for the next big expansion (after the next solo adventure - which I will just pay for).

Maybe with luck I will total up 10k Gold or more in that time. Would love 100+ free packs sometime this summer.

The removal of these 3 cards would completely change the current metagame. I'm not advocating for these cards being removed, but being very selective is their best bet. If they removed like 10 cards from the set that's a pretty massive reduction and one that hurts casual/returning players.

10+ is the only way they're going to be able to hit every class and they'll never hear the end of it if they just go in and selectively take away the best cards from only a few classes.

The biggest problem with Team5 is now people start to lose confidence in their ability to do a good job at playtesting after many OP expansion cards or unsatisfactory patches after releases.

Hearthstone is wildly popular with people enthusiastically signing up and playing competitive formats as far as the eye can see. This isn't even remotely a realistic problem a single person at Blizzard is worried about.

I can support them making arena standard. But they also talked about doing other things. It's too early to judge. We need more information. They talked about having rotating formats for arena before, standard could be the first.

It's inevitable that Arena will have to at some point become a Standard-style format because every new card they add right now pushes the format away from any types of interesting or contextual synergies and into generic, modular smash decks.

What they really need to do is start implementing "cubes," basically, and have theme weeks where Arena draws from small, curated sets of cards with very specific themes attached -- the Arena equivalent of Tavern Brawls, basically.

I think it's okay that classes get some "OP" cards.

When you get down to it, OP cards are what people really enjoy in card games, and especially what they remember fondly when reminiscing. People are gonna be nostalgic about these Dragon Priest decks and think fondly of Operative when they do someday.

Blizzard

Banned
When you get down to it, OP cards are what people really enjoy in card games, and especially what they remember fondly when reminiscing. People are gonna be nostalgic about these Dragon Priest decks and think fondly of Operative when they do someday.
I feel this depends on the person. I find myself remembering strong cards in a negative sense much more often than in a positive sense. Perhaps it's because I have so few legendaries myself.

Typically if I win, I remember getting a lucky draw, or having a nice board setup, or a good combo -- not having a very strong card. Combos are something I enjoy doing in card games. Of course, I don't like having combos done against me, so I guess something has to give. :p

wiibomb

China Server broke and rolled back

Nightmare for Blizzard.

wow, this is disaster for blizzard.

It also speaks volumes about what they have implemented. The backup data was corrupted in the power outrage they had in china along with the running server. that means they don't have a good measures to prevent situations like this.

I might be wrong, but this can also happen in all the other servers if they have the same contingency measures across the board

wow, this is disaster for blizzard.

It also speaks volumes about what they have implemented. The backup data was corrupted in the power outrage they had in china along with the running server. that means they don't have a good measures to prevent situations like this.

I might be wrong, but this can also happen in all the other servers if they have the same contingency measures across the board

NA blizzard doesn't even directly run china servers. It's not allowed by Chinese law, I've heard.

wiibomb

NA blizzard doesn't even directly run china servers. It's not allowed by Chinese law, I've heard.

I never said that, I understand China needs their own system as they are isolated from the world.

what I said is that the same meassures to protect the data could very well be same with all the other servers, potencially exposing the other server to the same issue china suffered with this power outrage. Technology is the same in china than the rest of the world (unless they have some wird things that can't be anywhere else)

I never said that, I understand China needs their own system as they are isolated from the world.

what I said is that the same meassures to protect the data could very well be same with all the other servers, potencially exposing the other server to the same issue china suffered with this power outrage. Technology is the same in china than the rest of the world (unless they have some wird things that can't be anywhere else)

My point was that they are managed by different companies.

gutshot

Game designer Max McCall comments on the prevalence of Shaman in the current meta:

We are keeping an eye on Shaman decks and we’ll see how they develop. We say that a lot. Here is what it means:

Okay, so: there are a few different kinds of Shaman decks:

- There are aggressive Shaman decks that play a Pirate package and no Jade cards
- There are slightly slower Shaman decks that play Pirates and Jade cards
- And there are even slower Shaman decks that play the Jade cards but no Pirates

All of those decks are strong, but they are all weak against Dragon decks (like Priest and Warrior) and Reno decks. If you’re tired of losing to Shamans, play Reno Warlock. In some ways, that is fine: Shamans are popular, but there are strategies that are good against them.

In other ways, it is less fine. Collectively, Shamans are popular; you play against a Shaman about one game in four. Now, the reason that a ‘balanced’ metagame is desirable isn’t because ‘balanced’ metagames don’t have dominant strategies. They are desirable because you play against different classes more frequently, which means you have a wider variety in the types of Hearthstone games that you play. Playing Shaman isn’t a dominant strategy – again, they lose to plenty of decks – but it is still boring to play against the same class over and over again.

And even though the Shaman decks have distinct differences, those differences are small. If you played against Warlocks one game in four, but half of your Warlock opponents were playing slow Reno control decks and the other half were playing aggressive minion decks, those games would feel very different from one another. On the other hand, when you lose to Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem, Feral Spirit three times in a row, it doesn’t matter if some of those Shamans had a Pirate package or if one of them had Jade cards. Your games still felt very homogenous and weren’t that fun especially the third time around.

The point I am trying to make is ‘classes can be problematic even though they do not win too often.’ Shamans don’t win too often. Right now, they are more popular than we’d like. If they are too popular for too long, we will do something about it, as we did when we nerfed them a couple of months ago. However, it takes time to assess whether or not a class will cause the game to feel too homogenous for too long. On release, Mech Mage and recently Pirate Warrior were more popular than Shamans have ever been – but only for a few weeks, then people discovered alternative strategies and the decks became less popular. Because we know that Shamans have weaknesses, we hope that those strategies will become more popular and drive down Shaman popularity a bit so that you play against more classes more often.

We are going to keep evaluating Shaman popularity in the near future, and if we don’t like what we see, we will change something about the metagame. Perhaps we will change a card. Perhaps we will see Shaman popularity fall and not have to step in at all. Perhaps we will wait to introduce a new set and see if that creates the metagame change we want. Either way, it is a thing we are actively concerned about and paying attention to.

Sheroking

So when are the PO/Cold Blood nerfs. Tend to think they're running a few years late on that.

I mean, we're not allowed to have 20+ damage Patron combos with like 5 cards, so why do we have a 3 card 20 damage Warlock combo?

So when are the PO/Cold Blood nerfs. Tend to think they're running a few years late on that.

I mean, we're not allowed to have 20+ damage Patron combos with like 5 cards, so why do we have a 3 card 20 damage Warlock combo?

Patron was doing 50+ damage combos, past taunts... 20 damage is simply not even in the same range of damage. And that combo requires emperor thaurisan while patron did not. It's going away shortly as a result.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What a weird post.

It seems to strangely ignore the coming rotation and also the fact that shamans have been absurdly popular for almost a year.

They've pretty clearly changed their strategy to balance and game design over the years.

This is the first time they've actually said class prevalence was something they considered problematic, so it's entirely possible they only decided it was a problem they were going to actively tackle recently.

It's similar to how they've decided to aggressively go after classes with lots of Classic card usage (instead of just classes with lots of powerful class cards a la Druid) and to dial back the power of one drops, especially those that can scale to continued relevance later in the game.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
They've pretty clearly changed their strategy to balance and game design over the years.

This is the first time they've actually said class prevalence was something they considered problematic, so it's entirely possible they only decided it was a problem they were going to actively tackle recently.

It's similar to how they've decided to aggressively go after decks with lots of standard card usage (instead of just classes with lots of powerful class cards a la Druid) and to dial back the power of one drops.

Yeah but the shaman problem might be taken care of by rotation alone.

Nerfing anything directly shaman related at this point would be so ridiculously late as to be useless and might hurt the class needlessly post rotation.

Dahbomb

There's no point in changing Shaman right now when they are losing Trogg and Golem soon along with the other control Shaman cards.

They should nerf Thing from Below because they should have nerfed it with Yogg. By not doing so they made it possible for Shaman to dominate the meta until the end of the year and beyond.

Also on their point of 1 drops, are they finally going to nerf or rotate out Mana Wyrm? That card is still insanely stupid.

Sheroking

Patron was doing 50+ damage combos, past taunts... 20 damage is simply not even in the same range of damage. And that combo requires emperor thaurisan while patron did not. It's going away shortly as a result.

Honestly, PO is a bullshit card without faceless or Leeroy. That one mana spell basically equals a good 4 drop.

It should have been dealt with years ago.

bjaelke

Honestly, PO is a bullshit card without faceless or Leeroy. That one mana spell basically equals a good 4 drop.

Fix the other cards instead.

404fbf62.png

Dahbomb

Patron combo does require Emperor to some capacity.

Patron itself costs 5 mana, Frothing costs 3 and Warsong costs 3.

Unless you mean just the Frothing plus Warsong combo which was always in the game and didn't really become a thing until Emperor and Patrons were released.

You would have severely nerfed that deck by nerfing or removing Emperor.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Leeroy was a mistake!

They nerfed him once already but with the statements they've made about how much they dislike Charge in the recent past it wouldn't surprise me to see him hit again. 6 face damage from hand has pretty much been the source of most of the OHKO combos (that and Emperor Thaurissan). I'm not gonna cry if they nerf Leeroy.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What if instead of nerfing charge minions... they nerf the mechanic? Like Icehowl
22338.png

I guess it would kill most aggro decks though and Blizzy likes Aggro.

Best way to nerf Leeroy would be to make him unable to go face, making him a budget Icehowl.
"Great minds think alike"

It's a real nerf-this-nerf-that type of day isn't it :p

What is bullshit about PO? The card is absolutely fine and balanced among other 1 mana spells.

What if instead of nerfing charge minion... they nerf the mechanic? Like Icehowl

I guess it would kill most aggro decks though and Blizzy likes Aggro.

Charge doesn't need to be nerfed.

Went into the Brawl blind so just brought Zoolock cards. Faced a Ramp Druid who played like 3 Innervates to get out an early Malygos, then Auctioneer later to cycle (you always have 10 cards so you can't fatigue). I just kept going face and on at 1HP he played like 5 Raven Idols (probably looking for a heal).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wait, YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE YOUR BRAWL CLASS?

I know it said choose "carefully", but I didn't see any warning that you'd be stuck with the same class permanently. I'm literally not sure it's possible to win with mage and the limited cards I have. :'( I wanted to try jade druid.

Yes you can. Under edit you can delete your class choice and pick again.

Luckydo Buccaneer is a pretty cool card, shame all it is is raw stats though which means it's mostly pointless. Giving it a somewhat powerful effect to lure Rogue into playing more weapon buffs/Assassin's Blade would have been cool.

After playing 4 pirate warriors in a row I'm now willing to play any deck that can consistently beat it. Is that even possible?

Playing that deck consistently is some quit playing this game shit.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, definitely going to be farming gold with Mage in this Brawl. It's nearly a guaranteed turn 5 win each time.
What cards did you use? I didn't find a good combo. I ended up drawing two 7-cost cards as my mulligan.

I don't have any mage legendaries sadly.

gutshot

What cards did you use? I didn't find a good combo. I ended up drawing two 7-cost cards as my mulligan.

I don't have any mage legendaries sadly.

Arcane Blast
Arcane Missiles
Ice Lance
Mirror Image
Novice Engineer
Arcane Intellect
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Flamewaker
Forgotten Torch
Ice Block

Draw Peruse cards until you have the Apprentice/Flamewaker combo in hand. Then just blow up your opponent with a bunch of 0 mana spells.

Blizzard

Banned
Arcane Blast
Arcane Missiles
Ice Lance
Mirror Image
Novice Engineer
Arcane Intellect
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Flamewaker
Forgotten Torch
Ice Block

Draw Peruse cards until you have the Apprentice/Flamewaker combo in hand. Then just blow up your opponent with a bunch of 0 mana spells.
Thanks. Ah, adventure cards. I don't have Flamewalker or Forgotten Torch.

I thought you meant "Peruse" the card. Apparently that's a Brawl-only card which I saw someone using, but I didn't realize anyone could take it.

gutshot

Peruse is a Brawl-only card that you get any time you draw a card outside of your normal beginning-of-turn draw. That's why Novice and AI are in the deck. To load up on those cards and then play them all for 0 mana.

But yeah, if you don't have Flamewaker, the deck isn't going to work unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom