• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I guess that was that

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hmm, The text is written in a way that makes me think that you can't do, for example, Dred + Dirty Rat, because it's when they PLAY a minion.

So I'm guessing it doesn't hit minions summoned by spells either. And if you drop a minion that summons another one, it would only hit the first one?

IceMarker

I think they may have given Day[9] an extra card to reveal on his personal stream starting soon...

is it me or these cards are really varied in how they work?

even that rogue legendary has a very interesting mechanic

Historically they reveal the most mechanically wacky/interesting cards first before showing us the filler.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I have to think about it more, but my gut is telling me Dred isn't good enough. Anything hard countered by single minion removal and doesn't affect the board immediately tends to be pretty bad, but at least it's an itty bit overstated especially as a beast and the text has some quick elements to it, even though that text also makes it even easier for the enemy to efficiently remove it.

They presented a lot of new unique mechanics. Hopefully this trend will continue.

Hungry Crab 2.0 might see play in a pirate warrior deck, right?

I glanced through the transcript. I can't stand day9. Seems cool so far.

I can see that rogue legendary working out. Maybe not just strict miracle/qa/charge type of list. Perhaps burgle rogue since they never run out of resources. Also xaril provides 2 1 mana spells to help trigger it.

I think it's easy to underestimate the card, the turn you bring it back up with auctioneer on board it's actually pretty deadly. Don't fall into the trap of evaluating this card simply on value as in how many times you bring it back on average. That'll be a mistake imo.

squidyj

things you can't play into dred off the top of my head

flametongue totem
jaraxxus?
leeroy combo
finja

Edit: Removed wild interactions

wiibomb

I think they may have given Day[9] an extra card to reveal on his personal stream starting soon...

Historically they reveal the most mechanically wacky/interesting cards first before showing us the filler.

yeah, but, I don't know, may be I'm too in love with a lot of mechanics, but so far all of this look to have more variety than the 3 main mechanics they showed in gatgetzan

squidyj

Now that I think about it, dred should be pretty good in a zoolock matchup provided you can get there. it'll kill a councilman as soon as he comes down and prevent a lot of buffing strategies.

PO is even rotating out so they'd use like soulfire

If sylvanas wasn't rotating that would be a very difficult card to run imo.

On the other hand adapt could shut it down pretty well too. Probably not hard enough.

Seems like a good card so far.

Yeah, wouldn't cannibalizing your own Patches be better than FWA in a lot of cases? The card doesn't restrict you to enemy pirates.

You're not actually gaining much from that sort of combo. You're getting +1/+1 out of removing a 1/1 from your board. Really little to zero tempo gain for a card that hurts you a lot with most other pirates on board.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Cannibalizing your own pirates is dumb. Nobody plays Hungry Crab in aggressive murloc decks and that card has an even bigger upside.

scarlet

Now that I think about it, dred should be pretty good in a zoolock matchup provided you can get there. it'll kill a councilman as soon as he comes down and prevent a lot of buffing strategies.

PO is even rotating out so they'd use like soulfire

Councilman is turn 3. You rarely see it play on later turn. Also gonna play cheap poisonous minion to counter that.

So far I'm investing my dust for discard zoo lock. With the crab, taunt and easy quest. It should be great.

ZealousD

Adapt gives you less than 1/3 chance for poison and nobody plays the existing poison minions. I think people expecting that Poisonous will be a reasonable counter to Dred are too optimistic. His natural enemy will be the standard hard removals like Hex and SW:D.

Councilman is turn 3. You rarely see it play on later turn. Also gonna play cheap poisonous minion to counter that.

So far I'm investing my dust for discard zoo lock. With the crab, taunt and easy quest. It should be great.

No one runs poisonous minions and you're probably not going to run one to counter a single high cost legendary card in a single class. From the cards we know so far, zoo doesn't counter this card at all.

Cat Party

Hearthstone definitely needs more disruption cards. Predictable play styles should be counterable. Dred is a good card for that, hopefully. Loatheb type cards are badly needed.

squidyj

If sylvanas wasn't rotating that would be a very difficult card to run imo.

On the other hand adapt could shut it down pretty well too. Probably not hard enough.

Seems like a good card so far.

it depends on the adapt cards.
you have a 30% chance to get poisonous
you have a 53% chance to get poisonous or divine shield
you have a 71% chance to get poisonouss, divine shield, or +3 attack

poison would let any adapt minion trade up into dred
divine shield would let verdant longneck trade into dred over 2 turns
+3 attack would let verdant longneck set dred to 1 hp, finish him with a hero power or a wrath or a swipe or something.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Adapt gives you less than 1/3 chance for poison and nobody plays the existing poison minions. I think people expecting that Poisonous will be a reasonable counter to Dred are too optimistic. His natural enemy will be the standard hard removals like Hex and SW:D.

Divine shield and +3 attack are also reasonable to get from adapt.

But yeah, hard removal is the main killer of the card.

Explore Un'Goro - Obviously not meant to be a serious card but it seems worse than Renounce Darkness which is pretty lame. About the only use I can think of is drafting it in Arena to try and salvage a really terrible deck.

Tortollan Shellraiser - Goes in the quest deck, otherwise I'm not sure it will really see play. 2 attack at 4 mana is generally too weak.

Lakkari Sacrifice - Goes in Discard Zoo, no question. Probably isn't going to birth any new styles of Discard Warlock though.

Lakkari Felhound - Also goes in Discard Zoo. Even though Blizzard thinks this will help create a slower Discard Warlock deck that's probably not going to be the case and Zoo just throws it in their deck because it's overstatted and will be annoying to deal with.

Arcanologist - Great card. 2 mana 2/3 that draws a card is pretty nuts and if you play this on turn 2 it guarantees you a turn 3 play. Combine with Kirin Tor Mage and you're getting a pretty disgusting amount of value in the first few turns of the game.

Elise the Trailblazer - Seems stupidly powerful to me. 5 mana 5/5 is perfectly fine and then for 2 mana more you get to add 5 random cards to your hand. I don't see any reason why this won't be played in the majority of non-aggro decks. Pretty much the only thing going against it is that it's pretty slow.

Golakka Crawler - Auto include if Pirates are in the meta. The stats are solid for a 2 drop and the effect is potentially game winning against a pirate deck. That said, what stops a Pirate deck from playing this too? Using it on your N'Zoth's First Mate, Patches, Swashburglar, etc. doesn't seem all that bad to me, especially for a class like Rogue which has historically had a rough time on turn 2.

Dinosize - Seems like a reasonable card to use for late game burst as Paladin has generally lacked that. Dinosize can essentially act as an 8 mana Pyroblast provided you have something on board and your opponent has no taunts.

Sherazin, Corpse Flower - Not good enough I think. The stats aren't all that impactful and the condition to bring it back is too difficult/unreliable to make it worth playing in my opinion. I suspect Miracle style decks will try it out but I have a hard time believing it will take off.

Tar Creeper - I like this card a lot. Finally starting to see Blizzard experiment with mechanics to create some good low cost defensive cards that don't just automatically get thrown in aggro too. Also has the potential to be good in decks like Zoo which thrive on board control and protecting their valuable minions.

Swamp King Dred - Seems pretty good to me. Hunter doesn't really run any 7 mana cards so this could be the card for them in that mana slot. If your opponent doesn't have some form of hard removal then this card immediately becomes a bitch to deal with and leaves you really restricted in what you can do. I'm not saying it's an insane card or anything but it seems really solid and it's nice to see Hunter get a legendary that actually might be playable for once.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Tar creeper is absolutely a candidate for aggro decks. It's a replacement for spirit wolves now that trogg is gone.

And probably better than spirit wolves anyway.

I don't know about Felhound. It inteferes too much with doomguard.

it depends on the adapt cards.
you have a 30% chance to get poisonous
you have a 53% chance to get poisonous or divine shield
you have a 71% chance to get poisonouss, divine shield, or +3 attack

poison would let any adapt minion trade up into dred
divine shield would let verdant longneck trade into dred over 2 turns
+3 attack would let verdant longneck set dred to 1 hp, finish him with a hero power or a wrath or a swipe or something.

If a couple adapt minions are in the meta, I don't think it'll be enough to deter hunters from running the card. That is what I meant. You example seems like a way to cope with it, but I don't think you actually get ahead when you're spending about as much resources if not more to remove it. You probably will not have enough mana left over to play a threat that turn so you want to be ahead on board when it hits the board.

squidyj

arcanologist is pretty good. Probably worth considering putting a 2/3 in your kazakus deck that gives you another chance to draw iceblock. Assuming those decks still exist.

Then you can also use it to pick up just "a secret" in a secret mage.

I imagine the play is something like,
turn 1 mage quest
turn 2 arcanologist
turn 3 kabal lackey + secret + medivh's valet
turn 4 crystal runner / ethereal arcanist

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Tar Creeper seems to compete directly with Second Rate Bruiser.

Much more consistent against aggro, somewhat less consistent against control. Seems like a trade you'd make, but not so good that you see Tar Creeper way more than Second Rate Bruiser.

fertygo

Felhound seem goddamn stupid its seem like 4 mana 7/7 all over again

But maybe just maybe 2 copy of this n dòomguard is too much

My gut tell me card is busted in aggro

Tar creeper is absolutely a candidate for aggro decks. It's a replacement for spirit wolves now that trogg is gone.

And probably better than spirit wolves anyway.

I don't know about Felhound. It inteferes too much with doomguard.

I don't follow your thought process here. Feral Spirit represents 4 damage a turn across 2 bodies. Tar Creeper only threatens 1 damage per turn which I can't imagine being worth it for any aggro deck that relies on putting out as much damage as fast as possible.

It only potentially works in Zoo because that deck doesn't need to rush you down as hard and it can be used to protect stuff like Malchezaar's Imp but even then it's unlikely. I mean it's not like Zoo is running Felguard right now.

squidyj

If a couple adapt minions are in the meta, I don't think it'll be enough to deter hunters from running the card. That is what I meant. You example seems like a way to cope with it, but I don't think you actually get ahead when you're spending about as much resources if not more to remove it. You probably will not have enough mana left over to play a threat that turn so you want to be ahead on board when it hits the board.

to be fair if your control hunter opponent has a turn where they're free to develop dred into an empty board you are either playing control yourself or behind.

I think the problem I have with dred is what does it do for the hunter who is losing?

to be fair if your control hunter opponent has a turn where they're free to develop dred into an empty board you are either playing control yourself or behind.

I think the problem I have with dred is what does it do for the hunter who is losing?

Quasi-taunt for charge minions or minions that get value at the end of turn. Plus it's a 9/9 your opponent may just have to remove.

It does have some downsides though. If your opponent needs to remove the 9/9 they can play minions as removal. It could end up being a difficult card to use for hitting face as a result.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It does have some downsides though. If your opponent needs to remove the 9/9 they can play minions as removal. It could end up being a difficult card to use for hitting face as a result.

This is the big downside of it for sure.

Ok great you get a 9/9. Next turn (assuming no Hex, Polymorph, etc) your opponent foolishly plays into it and you could be looking at something like a 9/4 or 9/3 when you finally get to attack. Or less they could just flood with 2 drops and kill it outright.

That probably is good news for the Hunter who is playing from behind. It improves your card advantage when your opponent doesn't have hard removal for it. A pretty ingenious card really.

Though I'm not sure it will typically come out ahead in mana vs your opponent (E.g. 3x 2 drops will probably kill it or 1 big minion and 1 small) I'll need to think about that some more. 9 HP is a good deal and getting through that in a cost effective way probably will involve spells. Something to note though, this guy takes 5 from SI:7 haha.

Szadek

Explore Un'Goro - Trash card for trash decks.

Tortollan Shellraiser - Only worth considering because of the deathrattle synergy, not good on it's own.

Lakkari Sacrifice - Most likely too slow for discard zoo,unless they get even more crazy support, and it also means that you basically skipping turn 1,which is a very bad idea.
It will probably 6-7 turn into get the portal, another turn until you can play it and 1-2 more turns before it makes up for it's mana cost.
Chances are the game ends long before that.
Great card if slower disco locks become a thing, but the probably won't.

Lakkari Felhound - Stats are pretty scary, but might conflict too much with Doomguard.

Arcanologist - Great card... if you play secrets. It remain to be seen if they are worth playing in the first place.

Elise the Trailblazer - Elise is no Elise, but is probably worth a spot for control vs control.
Great synergy with Elise in Wild.

Golakka Crawler - Might be a good enough pirat counter, but unless pirat are super popular( and they might), this card is just a river crocolisk, which is quite bad.

Dinosize - Could be good enough as a burst card. Up to 9 damage with only 1 minion on the board is pretty scary.

Sherazin, Corpse Flower - Most likely too gimmicky.

Tar Creeper - Not a very impressive card, and the game already has a 3 mana 4/5 against aggro decks.

Swamp King Dred - Scary if the other player can't remove it right away, but gets punished really hard by hard removal.
Seems very meta dependant, so it's hard to tell.

ZealousD

Arcanologist - Great card... if you play secrets. It remain to be seen if they are worth playing in the first place.

When you can draw them for free, it's obviously worth it. That card is broken.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
today's card were underwhelming except for the warlock cards, they seem extremely powerful. The hunter legendary and arcanologist seem good too, elise is probably not too bad in play. The other cards are kinda meh.

When you can draw them for free, it's obviously worth it. That card is broken.

I don't think it's broken, it's pretty damn good though, too bad freeze mage will no longer be a thing with ice lance going to wild ha. Now If it was a 2 drop with the deathrattle "Put a random secret into the field" that would be broken as hell, thankfully Blizzard are smarter than that.

Or you could sub it for Ice Lance since that's being moved to hall of fame ;)

D'oh, it'll take a while to account for all the various rotations!
I like the hungrier crab in water rouge with curator, though might not run that if the deck can't find a suitable dragon.

ZealousD

Secrets are so bad they need broken cards to get played.
I think secret mage is still 1 or 2 cards away from being viable (and they might get them soon enough).

And this is broken. This is probably all that deck needs, because now you're much more likely to have the secrets in your hand that you need to start taking advantage of all the synergies the deck wants.

This card is 5/5 in my mind. Not even a question. And I don't hand those out like candy.

Szadek

And this is broken. This is probably all that deck needs, because now you're much more likely to have the secrets in your hand that you need to start taking advantage of all the synergies the deck wants.

This card is 5/5 in my mind. Not even a question. And I don't hand those out like candy.
Yeah, but secrets are like a 2-3/5. I just have hard time coming up with a Mage deck that could compete with the other meta decks.

It certianly doesn't look like a card you want to play in Reno Mage (which is most likely dead anyway).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I mean this card enabled lots of synergy in a new form of tempo mage with stuff like Kabal Lackey and Kirin Tor mage (dunno about that one but Kabal Lackey is playable now).

Sadly we are losing Effigy to Wild or else Effigy/Mirror Entity/Potion of Polymorph would make this card LOTS of fun. 50/50 Mix-up! Is it copy your minion or turn it into a 1/1? Or if you kill my guy do I get a new one? None of those by themselves are great but when you get to play them for free from your hand and now only need to run 1 of each.

I can't imaging how silly Wild is going to be with this AND Mad Scientist. And yes I would run both.

ZealousD

Yeah, but secrets are like a 2-3/5. I just have hard time coming up with a Mage deck that could compete with the other meta decks.

It certianly doesn't look like a card you want to play in Reno Mage (which is most likely dead anyway).

If Wild didn't have Mad Scientist, you totally would. Heck, you still might. Who cares. That deck has double the chance to get Ice Block now.

Crosseyes

Banned
Yeah 2/3 for two, 'draw a card that will directly activate synergies of your deck' is bonkers.

For now I'll stay optimistic and side with bonkers in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom