• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlet

Man, this is the second time Blizzard's given the same card to multiple streamers this expansion. They also gave Shadow Visions to three streamers; it's just that one of them accidentally revealed it early. Wonder what's going on.

Maybe to reveal in 3 different languages?

Ikkarus

Early signs is I really dig the Warlock legendary. Discard is typically seen as a negative and a cost hence why a 5/7 charger for 5 mana would normally be considered insane.

What the warlock legendary does is off set that cost and actually lessens the pain plus it boosts it's atk/def then returns to your hand again. I dig it. I'll reserve proper judgement until all the other cards have been revealed.

fertygo

card seems garbage tbh

man why we just cannot had more life manipulation shit for warlock, instead this discard garbage

fuck.. look like I need play other game for better "warlock" gameplay fix

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The warlock quest reward is going to be the most annoying of things though. Discard lock will never run out of steam against control decks.

Nachos

Seems like they are giving the same card to streamers from different regions. Makes sense except when one streamer reveals too early like what happened with the Priest spell.

I just have to wonder what the point is. This stuff always gets out fast, so the regions or differences in language don't really matter. With as big as the communities are, the cards are usually translated within minutes.

The effects are usually straightforward, too, so there's limited chances for things being mistranslated. The only exception was that dinosaur card that leaked, and that's because the Chinese version uses the same word for Evolve and Adapt for some reason.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fv5VBUl.jpg

Funny cause I've had times in the past where I played against 10 or more control decks in a row.

Ok, thats pretty good as a card. Gives Discard Warlock a really powerful tool. Autoinclude in the archtype for the rest of time.

And the Expansion gets more expensive.

wiibomb

interesting card.

the opponent will exactly know how big that Zavas will be.

I don't think it's a good card, but given the push of the discolock mechanic I wonder if it will be good with all the other tools

Seeing this just made me realize how expensive the new expansion will be if you like to play a variety of classes/archetypes, in part because quest cards are legendary.

Want to play a competitive discard lock? Craft two warlock legendaries, that pretty much are only viable in this one archetype of one class.

Yes, there were always archetype specific legendaries, but with the quest system it just seems you now need to craft at least two instead of one.

Seems like it will be hard to "try out" a new archetype ..

scarlet

interesting card.

the opponent will exactly know how big that Zavas will be.

I don't think it's a good card, but given the push of the discolock mechanic I wonder if it will be good with all the other tools

"Oh he's buffing that card, it's 8/8 now, I guess it's better if I save my hex/polymorph/etc once he play it."

Nachos

Seeing this just made me realize how expensive the new expansion will be if you like to play a variety of classes/archetypes, in part because quest cards are legendary.

Want to play a competitive discard lock? Craft two warlock legendaries, that pretty much are only viable in this one archetype of one class.

Yes, there were always archetype specific legendaries, but with the quest system it just seems you now need to craft at least two instead of one.

Seems like it will be hard to "try out" a new archetype ..

Especially when it seems like the legendary minions might be designed to really help with the quests. I wouldn't be surprised if the mage quest involves Elementals, in which case, Pyros would really help.

wiibomb

now that I realize, that card isn't a demon, that is a huge blow since a lot of the discolock idea is synergy with demons...

I don't think that card is good enough, at least it won't be mandatory in discolock

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
She's another card that gains value the more she sits in your hand. Hearthstone really hasn't rewarded that style of design yet. I think she could easily be too clunky. We haven't seen any slow discardlock decks yet. That deck could easily just be too weird and not do anything exciting.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Well with that card I think we can safely say that Zoo is back on the warlock top tiers.

It's a perfect fit for the current discard zoo deck and is less stupid than the Karazhan golem card. Which is good because it will be around after that one is gone too.

As for that priest spell... I can't tell. It will certainly show up in wombo combo decks that need an extra Inner Fire or Divine Spirit or whathaveyou. But in competitive for 2 mana getting an extra copy of a spell your deck already has AND taking up a cardslot in the deck isn't that great a deal. There might be some combo I can't see yet that makes an OTK or something work, but I can't see it being in normal non-combo decks. But at least they are printing cards that work to further combos. I could see it being busted somehow in Wild also.

She's another card that gains value the more she sits in your hand. Hearthstone really hasn't rewarded that style of design yet. I think she could easily be too clunky. We haven't seen any slow discardlock decks yet. That deck could easily just be too weird and not do anything exciting.
1 discard is enough to make it a 4/4 for 2 mana. Worst case it allows you to tap while developing a threat.

ZealousD

1 discard is enough to make it a 4/4 for 2 mana. Worst case it allows you to tap while developing a threat.

Yeah, but how frequently can you guarantee that she gets discarded? I could easily see that you're getting out-tempoed when she sits in your hand for several turns without discarding her and you have to be happy playing her as a 2/2 just to have some board presence, and that's not good enough.

squidyj

seems pretty good and makes running discard more appealing

2 mana 4/4 after one discard is pretty good but ensuring you discard her early on will be tough.

Yeah, but how frequently can you guarantee that she gets discarded? I could easily see that you're getting out-tempoed when she sits in your hand for several turns without discarding her and you have to be happy playing her as a 2/2 just to have some board presence, and that's not good enough.

i feel like if you'r in the situation where she's not getting discarded you have a number of cards in hand and thus a number of options so you're probably saturating your mana anyways.

Ikkarus

One other thought with the new priest spell is that it works wonderful with the new Elise card.

You can easily dig out that pack. :)

In those instances she's no worse than a silverware golem. The biggest issue with discardlock was inconsistency, needing 2 of 3 components to not play understated minions or destroy your hand. She helps with exactly that.

It's like wickerflame is little more than a 3rd Shielded Minibot in my paladin decks in wild.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Why is Zavas a legendary? That has to be one of the most boring legendaries they've ever made.

It has exactly one use. You put in in a discard deck where you put in all the best discard cards and a few core warlock cards. There's not even much reason to vary up the the discard decks outside of deciding which discard cards and core cards are the best.

ZealousD

I mean if you want a 2 mana 4/4 after it sits in your hand for a bit, we've already got Nerubian Prophet.

Ikkarus

I really hope this expansion seriously mixes things up, I'm getting so tired of playing Pirates, Jade and Reno.
I'm hoping at the very least the quest cards will at the very least create something for each of the classes. Just have to hope Blizz have made each of the quests worthwhile.

Dahbomb

Man how is that Legendary boring? We haven't had many instances of cards reviving themselves after Discard so this is working off of a new mechanic.

That card woukd have been nuts if it wasn't a Legendary. Have two of them in hand, play Doomguard and still retain your hand. Obviously you play in Discard Zoo which Blizzard is aggressively pushing again.

I thought we already had enough of Discard Zoo in Karazhan?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man how is that Legendary boring? We haven't had many instances of cards reviving themselves after Discard so this is working off of a new mechanic.

That card woukd have been nuts if it wasn't a Legendary. Have two of them in hand, play Doomguard and still retain your hand. Obviously you play in Discard Zoo which Blizzard is aggressively pushing again.

It is kind of weird to separate discard mechanics from rotation schedules. The quest and this legendary will be around for a year after silverware golem and malch imp are gone and it would suck if zoo had to be discard based for that long if they continue to support the archetype.

fertygo

I actually hope these quest thingie not became meta

I think this mechanic is terrible and can made most game feel same if the quest really strong and most game boil down to chase same endgame over and over again.

I take typical tempo battle over that shit.

I'm hoping at the very least the quest cards will at the very least create something for each of the classes. Just have to hope Blizz have made each of the quests worthwhile.

One of my issues is that pretty much as soon as you see which class your opponent is playing you know how the game is going to play out. Quests seem interesting but it may just make that issue even worse.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Most legendary in hs are boring af dude.

Maybe, but from a deck building perspective, none are as limited in potential use, unless they are build arounds on their own, which this not.

It's a slightly different silverware golem.

Yeah i really hope the quest decks are at best tier 2 or tier 3 decks. I would really hate if they are so op that they overshadow other deck archetypes and every class has just 1 competitive deck again.

I hate the current meta where I can predict 95% of the deck most of the time just by seeing the class my opponent plays.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
One of my issues is that pretty much as soon as you see which class your opponent is playing you know how the game is going to play out. Quests seem interesting but it may just make that issue even worse.

Go wild.

Druid could be egg, ramp or Jade
Mage could be grinder, Reno, tempo, mech or freeze
Warlock could be Reno, zoo or demon
Warrior is pirate, let's be honest
Hunter could be face or midrange/nzoth
Priest could be dragon, Reno or nzoth
Rogue could be mill, water or miracle
Paladin could be anyfin control, anyfin secret, secret, midrange or nzoth
Shaman could be aggro, midrange Jade, crusher, or malygos

This doesn't even include the weird shit people play at trash ranks.

Go wild.

Druid could be egg, ramp or Jade
Mage could be grinder, Reno, tempo, mech or freeze
Warlock could be Reno, zoo or demon
Warrior is pirate, let's be honest
Hunter could be face or midrange/nzoth
Priest could be dragon, Reno or nzoth
Rogue could be mill, water or miracle
Paladin could be anyfin control, anyfin secret, secret, midrange or nzoth
Shaman could be aggro, midrange Jade, crusher, or malygos

This doesn't even include the weird shit people play at trash ranks.

Yeah, I probably should give wild a serious shot.

fertygo

Nah I hate playing unpredictable shit tho

Shit screwing my mulligan and not knowing shit to play around is not how I like to jam either.

Dahbomb

Discard Lock is a couple of cards like that away from being another toxic deck that people complain about. Hell people complained about it in Karazhan too. It's far more high rolley and not fun to play aboutgainst when your opponent gets the discard nuts.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I think this mechanic is terrible and can made most game feel same if the quest really strong and most game boil down to chase same endgame over and over again.

I take typical tempo battle over that shit.

They probably need Quests to be their way of power creeping slower decks enough to beat Jade. So I do expect them to become the meta.

Hopefully other quests will be less restrictive on deckbuilding, or the meta will become very samey very fast.

Discard Lock is a couple of cards like that away from being another toxic deck that people complain about. Hell people complained about it in Karazhan too. It's far more high rolley and not fun to play aboutgainst when your opponent gets the discard nuts.

Discard lock will be very frustrating .. to play AND to play against. If the RNG goes right it will obliterate and if the RNG goes wrong it fizzles.
With every discard there will be one very happy player and one very unhappy player.

Nah I hate playing unpredictable shit tho

Shit screwing my mulligan and not knowing shit to play around is not how I like to jam either.

There's gotta be a good middle ground between having like 3 or 4 decks that make up a gigantic chunk of the games and having every game being completely unpredictable.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at this warlock legendary again.

It's a lot like Fist of Jaraxxus where the card had to be discarded to be effective. However UNLIKE Fist of Jaraxxus where you would have to pay 4 mana for a random target 4 damage, playing 2 mana for a 2/2 while not exactly good, is at least marginally effective. At least a body, even if small, has some use. And if nothing else you just play all your other discard cards and hope this one gets tossed so it's more effective. If you're playing zoo and you just need board presence, then I think you'll take this as a 2/2 and it will be ok. Unlike Fist of Jaraxxus which if you don't discard it can't do anything for you.

So this compares favorably to a nearly unused card... I guess it isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom