• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Party

Who fucking cares when people are wrong. Discussing this is fun and people shouldn't be worried about people digging into their post history to show that they were super wrong.

Some of it is done as good natured ribbing and some of it just comes across super jerky with people acting all high and mighty. Shit's annoying.

True. The only reason to make fun of bad card predictions is to spam Amaz's Twitch chat when Entomb gets played.

I have given consideration to those downsides. But the impact of those downsides is minimal or negligible in terms of downgrading my evaluation of the card. We know exactly what the downsides are because they're essentially the exact same "downsides" that existed for a Mage that ran Mad Scientists. You have to put secrets in your deck. You might draw your secrets before you draw your minion. We've been here before. And we know from Mad Scientist that the downsides are tiny. In fact, there might actually be FEWER downsides to Arcanologist. If you do draw it late, it has better stats than Mad Scientist. Also unlike Mad Scientist, the effect can't be blocked if the only secret in your deck is exactly the same as the secret you might already have in play.

Now, I'm not saying that Arcanologist is better than Mad Scientist (there's probably only one card in the game that is) but I am saying that we should know from experience how powerful a card like this is in the game of Hearthstone, and all of that past experience should tell us it is OP.

The upside of mad scientist was way higher than this upside. Draw and play a card is much faster than draw a card. I really don't even find much value in comparing the two for that reason.

Also, the downsides are not negligible. If secrets were already being ran in tempo mage, because they are so great, then the downsides of adding this card in tempo mage would by definition be negligible because you're already running those cards.

Pooya

I have given consideration to those downsides. But the impact of those downsides is minimal or negligible in terms of downgrading my evaluation of the card. We know exactly what the downsides are because they're essentially the exact same "downsides" that existed for a Mage that ran Mad Scientists. You have to put secrets in your deck. You might draw your secrets before you draw your minion. We've been here before. And we know from Mad Scientist that the downsides are tiny. In fact, there might actually be FEWER downsides to Arcanologist. If you do draw it late, it has better stats than Mad Scientist. Also unlike Mad Scientist, the effect can't be blocked if the only secret in your deck is exactly the same as the secret you might already have in play.

While that's true, mad scientist's upside was far greater than this card that it made the risk worthwhile. When it doesn't work it's just as bad, maybe if it had something more going for it, the card existing as is, is just Blizzard admitting mad scientist was broken.

Also, the downsides are not negligible. If secrets were already being ran in tempo mage, because they are so great, then the downsides of adding this card in tempo mage would by definition be negligible because you're already running those cards.

I think secrets were heavily meta dependent too. Mirror Entity and counterspell used to be very powerful back then when you had combo druids around and people didn't have much to throw into your entity/counter spell other than the shredder staying in their hand. Right now? I think mirror entity is just bad and your counter spell will be trigger by some cheap spell. You'd either get some understated jade summoner, some 0 attack totem, a pirate or worse doomsayer. Not so great.

Nachos

Who fucking cares when people are wrong. Discussing this is fun and people shouldn't be worried about people digging into their post history to show that they were super wrong.

Some of it is done as good natured ribbing and some of it just comes across super jerky with people acting all high and mighty. Shit's annoying.
Yeah, the less the thread veers into DetectiveGAF territory, the better. Points can be proven without things getting scuzzy.

Yeah, the less the thread veers into DetectiveGAF territory, the better. Points can be proven without things getting scuzzy.

I wish people detectivegaf'd me. Because I am too lazy to look up my own old opinions on cards.

I do remember two predictions I made that were very accurate and that was webspinner and muster for battle. Had a lot of people saying I was wrong too.

I think secrets were heavily meta dependent too. Mirror Entity and counterspell used to be very powerful back then when you had combo druids around and people didn't have much to throw into your entity/counter spell other than the shredder staying in their hand. Right now? I think mirror entity is just bad and your counter spell will be trigger by some cheap spell. You'd either get some understated jade summoner, some 0 attack totem, a pirate or worse doomsayer. Not so great.

I've seen a couple people running some secret packages lately. Counterspell will always be flawed due to coin and all the other 0 mana spells. Great in some match ups and when they already spend the coin though. I almost always had an answer to mirror entity back in the day with zombie chows, doomsayers, MCT, etc..

I think what this card has going for it is all the other secret synergy cards they've added recently and are perhaps adding more of. Well, they could go overboard with more secret synergy although I would guess not likely. Probably a new secret at least.

IIRC counterspell was eventually cut for duplicate, even in tempo mage because you could often get a strong minion duplicated.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You know we can keep going in circles, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this point for now. We'll see how good arcanologist is in a few months. I'm gonna make the case pretty hard on our review stream and we'll see how that lines up in the re-review. I'm pretty confident about this.

I wish people detectivegaf'd me. Because I am too lazy to look up my own old opinions on cards.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qznrQld02E0R9VZeogCeY_kejaoGd3WCffy9ga_6kqU/edit?usp=sharing

Pooya

I'm not sure what you want to do about that, no one is saying the card is bad but you need better secrets. MC without avenge and muster for battle and others, turns out is not nearly as good while the math on the card itself is as good as ever. Similar case here.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh hey. Did anybody else get their free Old Gods pack?

I got 40 dust. =(

You know we can keep going in circles, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this point for now. We'll see how good arcanologist is in a few months. I'm gonna make the case pretty hard on our review stream and we'll see how that lines up in the re-review. I'm pretty confident about this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qznrQld02E0R9VZeogCeY_kejaoGd3WCffy9ga_6kqU/edit?usp=sharing

The vast majority of those card evaluations were hastily filled out. I think reviews based on a numeric scale are too shallow anyway.

All I know about evaluating cards is that I'm always wrong. If I think the card looks great it's probably trash and if it looks awful it's probably going to be pretty good.

Pooya

Looks like they are patching tomorrow, there is a maintenance notice and it's 2 hours long. It's probably the brawl with new cards.

edit: the brawl thing was apparently fake, nvm then.

squidyj

It's card draw on a body with zero stat loss. That's only happened once before. Drakonid Operative.

Oh. Did I also mention it's mostly unconditional on an early game minion? It might actually be worse than Drakonid Operative.

great, now make it work in a deck.

patchday

It's too late to get into that nowadays though, isn't it?

overwatch is so good. I have so many OW t-shirts and run into other fans all the time

Pretty sure blizz determined to kill freeze mage

Btw where blackwing corruptor deux for elemental?

Its just made sense

I wonder if the goal is really to kill the Malygos + Emperor + 2 Ice Lane combo. but it takes so much to make it work. cause first you really want to freeze your opponent

Dahbomb

why play that card when you can play mad scientist on wild?
You play both. That way you don't have to play Novice Engineer.

At the very least you play both in Reno Mage or those control/grinder Mage decks that rely on specific secrets like Duplicate.

gutshot

Regarding Arcanologist, it's obviously a good card as far as pure mathematical value goes. But you do have to take into consideration the type of deck it would fit in to when evaluating the card. Are the cards it supports (Mage Secrets) good enough? Would a deck built around these synergies be good enough?

A card like Mysterious Challenger is obviously an insanely OP card based on the math. And for a while it was one of the best cards in the best deck in the game. But once a few key support cards got rotated out (Avenge and Muster being two big ones), Challenger was rendered nearly obsolete.

All of this to say that you can't just look at the math and say whether a card will be playable or not. You have to evaluate the decks it would fit into and whether cards that synergize with the OP card are good enough for the deck to be relevant. This is what makes evaluating cards difficult and, also, a lot of fun.

MC became obsolete because Paladin got shit for early game and had no way to hold a board ever. Avenge has little to do with it, I tried it all and MC with Getaway Kodo and Resurrection was pretty great. Issue was you couldn't play Noble Sacrifice with Kodo.

Finalow

discardlock is looking very strong with those new cards. the legendary is really damn good, if you discard that card you're basically discarding nothing, and you get all the benefits from the discard. (it gets buffed, you draw a card if you have Imp etc.)
let's say you want to play Doomguard on curve and you have 3 other cards, it's gonna suck to discard 2 but if Zavas gets picked as the discard you're only going to discard 1 card for the Doomguard. then you can play a 2 mana 8/8 or whatever in the next turn.

I honestly think the deck will be stupid strong after this expansion.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think Megafin is good as a card. The quest is hard, but Megafin should come into play just as you are running out of steam.

wiibomb

I'm seeing that quest pretty bad, the chances of getting a bluefin+warleader combo is kind of hard with just throwing random murlocs to the hand.

besides that, what other murlocs are worth?

C7dFikzU0AAvBhe.jpg

This thing better end up being awesome.

Szadek

The murloc cards all look pretty good.
Look out's effect is easy enough to trigger, since you would play him in same deck as the quest, which means you are going to play a crap load of murlocs.

They might even play muster for murlocs.

Dahbomb

Summoning 10 Murlocs is really easy, you can fill that quest out by turn 5.

Turn 1 whatever turn 1 Murloc, Turn 2 that Murloc that summons 2 Murlocs. Two random Murlocs on turn 3, Call in the Finishers on turn 4.

Remember there is also that Dinosaur that adapts your Murlocs so you can use that to make your Murlocs stickier.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Running out of steam is one of the major problems with the deck.

And there are not really many good turn one murlocs so playing the quest isn't that bad.

I think it has a lot of potential in wild with everyfin and murkeye.

Pooya

call in the finishers is like 4 murlocs for the quest in one card. Looks like murloc aggro shaman deck could be a thing and you don't run out of gas with this. Finja is good, the new murloc adapt guy is good, seems like there is good potential here to hate murlocs.

Hycran

Banned
Good thing siltfin spirit walker is long gone otherwise shaman would have some serious draw power for murlocs. Card looks fun and is a welcome change from Jades.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
call in the finishers is like 4 murlocs for the quest in one card. Looks like murloc aggro shaman deck could be a thing and you don't run out of gas with this. Finja is good, the new murloc adapt guy is good, seems like there is good potential here to hate murlocs.

Problem with finja in a deck like this is most murlocs have good synergy via battlecries. It won't be as insane as a deck with just warleaders and bluegills but still seems like an auto include for flooding purposes.

Pooya

doesn't matter, you just want to dump stats on board and buff them, which finja excels at quite well, sometimes you high roll too and get a warleader and counts as 3 for the quest. It's fine.

FeD.nL

Summoning 10 Murlocs is really easy, you can fill that quest out by turn 5.

Turn 1 whatever turn 1 Murloc, Turn 2 that Murloc that summons 2 Murlocs. Two random Murlocs on turn 3, Call in the Finishers on turn 4.

Remember there is also that Dinosaur that adapts your Murlocs so you can use that to make your Murlocs stickier.

Yup, and that Dinosaur has premium stats. Hmm I wonder what will happen, ah well it will probably work out just fine.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely the easiest quest to fulfill so far. With stuff like Call in the Finishers its gonna be REALLY easy to drop 10 murlocs by game end. It's not going to help you win though since a slight breeze will still wipe your board. Literally every AoE in the game is a major threat to most murlocs until you get 1-2 warleaders out. So I have no idea if that will be a good deck but it might be hilarous.

Also the 3mana 3/2 discover a murloc if you have a murloc card is defintely an include. Just by the nature of replacing a murloc card in your hand you'd want it, but since there are so few draw effects on murlocs (mostly just Coldlight and Siltfin Spiritwalker) you gotta take what you can get.

Megafin is the kind of recharge a deck like this needs. Drop him for 5 mana when your hand is empty (or nearly so after dumping 10 murlocs), and boom instant hand of minions to pressure with. It's a good reward for essentially vomiting your hand on the board and hoping that something sticks. Still have no idea if that will be a good deck or not, but the effect is powerful even if you're only getting murlocs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom