• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It feels like Blizard is showing off cards really slowly this time around. Normally during spoiler season, there was something every 12 hours, a more constant stream.

Uh, we're getting 3-4 cards a day.

Dahbomb

You can teach an all in strategy to a kid that would beat a pro heads up in nlhe 100bb to bust at least 10% of the time. Probably more like 30% of the time. He would obviously still be a massive loser over time because that edge is still huge.

And hearthstone isn't just about one game or one series or one tournament. No game with luck involved is.
30% is still WAY too high.

Like I know who my opponent is (a kid), I know the decks/cards he is playing (Pirate Warrior) and I know his style of play (he's not going to play around anything and go face most of the time)... I still can't beat him enough times without playing a direct counter. If I play a deck that is 5-5 match up against the PW, even with maximum skill and knowing my opponent I still can't win reasonably enough and from the perspective of a pro player like Lifecoach that feels awful.

Sad thing is that it's not even that hard to increase skill cap in the game dramatically.. you just increase average game length by a few turns and make more skill intensive cards/archetypes. Make cards you can actually misplay with. Make cards that punish mistakes more often like say Betrayal or Explosive Shot. Add way more cards that take advantage of board position (like Dire Alpha Wolf, Flame tongue and DoA/Sunfury... sadly Blizzard doesn't utilize board position mechanic as much).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's the event?

T7BV7Bq.jpg

scarlet

Apparently fr0zen missed lethal twice before the rematch. He's so nervous.

Oh, I thought my phone screen was broken. I thought the board color was off LOL.

wiibomb

apparently, Peter Whalen clarified how the rogue quest behaves, on twitter.

it just sets a minion to 5/5 the first time it is played or summoned, so, after that it is vulnerable to buffs or debuffs.

that way a hex would make a 5/5 frog with taunt. an Aldor Peacekeeper would make the attack to 1 of any minion and a C'thun would be a 5/5 the moment the quest reward is played.

ZealousD

Oh, the Bahamas matches started? These are the ones that our 'champion' packs ride on?

Has Thisj played yet?

Thijs isn't even in the tournament.

Edit: I caught you! No Pavel hasn't played yet.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, I don't know why Lifecoach thought any different. We all knew what this game was when we signed up for it.

Maybe he thought it'd change over time but why would it? It's making bank like this.

Let's say we took out all random aspects and made the game harder to play, most people would just quit playing.

He's saying the changes Blizzard is making to the game is making it worse, both in nerfing things like Warsong Commander, Blade Flurry, and molten giant, and in printing things that make the game too fast, like Patches.

The game really was a lot more skillful a year ago than it is today.

StrifeCro last night said that the skill cap on this meta is the lowest it has ever been.

And then immediately after said that nobody has actually reached the skill cap.

Lifecoach tried to play hearthstone more than anybody should. He got burnt out on it. It happens. Even if he reached the skill cap, (which he almost surely didn't since he likely made mistakes nearly every gave still) it doesn't mean any of us or the people we face on a regular basis are reaching the skill cap.

Someone uses this defense every time the subject of low skill games come up, for any game. Yes, it's likely no one will ever be perfect. But if the number 1 player in the world has 65% win rate while top 20% of players all have 60% winrates, the game still has a problem with a skill ceiling because extra percentage chance you'll win given your skill just isn't noticeable enough.

The focus should be on where the skill/winrate curve starts to flatten out, not on where the line hits the theoretically perfect.

wiibomb

at rank 11 I had a very hard time with druids as a shaman player, they were pretty consistent against my jade shaman.

rank 10 now, so for now I'm retreating from ranked (I really dislike that mode, but those rewards)

Dahbomb

can't believe there were arguments about that before release.
More like once Blizzard said they would nerf STB people said that the problem was just STB and not Patches and pirate aggro would go away once STB was nerfed.

The problem was always both of them but Patches was the biggest culprit IMO because he made whatever 1 drop Pirate you played over powered. STB just happened to be the best 1 drop Pirate and people focused on that the most.

Only way Patches loses its power is if you nerf or remove every 1 drop Pirate in the game but people are still using stuff like the 1 mana Corsair to trigger Patches while also counter other Pirate Warriors.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's a dumb deck that b7 brought there. The wombo combo Reno preist can't be favored vs much of the field. Not sure who he thought he was going to beat with it.

Anyhow sucks for him as that last game was just some really crap draws for him about 3 turns in a row. Good job to Frozen.

EDIT:
Re: The Pirates. STB WAS the bigger issue in the power of the package. Patches is still a more powerful card, but since it's a legendary apparently Blizzard is OK with that? The real issue was that with STB and Patches together you had very little options to remove them both. Now with 1 HP STB can Patches can be removed by any AoE Effect and most hero powers. The lead they build together is much less overwhelming. I agree with changing STB. There's no change you can make to Patches that leaves the card still good.

Pooya

why limit it to minions, are they afraid of malygos hunter? ...

It would have been a more interesting card if it could draw any 1 cost card.

Dahbomb

why limit it to minions, are they afraid of malygos hunter? ...

It would have a more interesting card if it could draw any 1 cost card.
I was just about to say, you could have made it draw 1 mana spells like Mastiff and Arcane Shot and Tracking but nah they want Hunter to play the same exact way forever.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that card is TITS in midrange hunter. Later game drop to pull all your early game out of the deck leaving you to draw the highmanes & co more easily.

Plus you can vomit all the 1 drops and this 5 guy pretty easily. I don't see this being played in aggro though since by turn 5 you want to be getting ready to close out that game on turns 6 and 7 and 1 mana guys prolly aren't doing that. But I don't really know a lot about building aggro decks (I just copy them ayyyyy lmao).

Either way the card seems solid.

More like once Blizzard said they would nerf STB people said that the problem was just STB and not Patches and pirate aggro would go away once STB was nerfed.

The problem was always both of them but Patches was the biggest culprit IMO because he made whatever 1 drop Pirate you played over powered. STB just happened to be the best 1 drop Pirate and people focused on that the most.

Only way Patches loses its power is if you nerf or remove every 1 drop Pirate in the game but people are still using stuff like the 1 mana Corsair to trigger Patches while also counter other Pirate Warriors.
Yeah the 2 toughness was the bigger deal, I'm up to 2 corsairs in Pirate Pally now because more than anything I just want to keep something on board.

It'd be funny if they gave Paladin a 1 mana Pirate in Ungoro. That's the kind of early game paladin needs.

Yeah the 2 toughness was the bigger deal, I'm up to 2 corsairs in Pirate Pally now because more than anything I just want to keep something on board.

It'd be funny if they gave Paladin a 1 mana Pirate in Ungoro. That's the kind of early game paladin needs.

And they should call it Argent Pirate or Holy Pirate or something

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Patches is probably the most prevalent card in hearthstone history simply because he's played in probably 99.9% of the games where he is in one of the decks.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You gotta wonder how those Golakka Crawlers survive eating pirates in a jungle. Can't be too many of those around.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Seems overpriced to me.

Two 1 drops that late in the game is barely any value at all, and 5 mana for those stats is fairly slow.

Thins your deck, but I'd rather just take my chances of falling behind by drawing poorly than certainly falling behind by playing a weak card.

ZealousD

I don't know if drawing two 1-drops at this stage of the game is really as good as drawing a random card from a usual deck, especially for Hunter. At this stage, weenies are more likely to be put into situations where your opponent can 2-for-1 them, which means I don't think the standard formula of thinking that "draw 2" is like 3 mana applies here. Blizzard seems to agree, which seems to be why they're evaluating the draw somewhere close to a standard 1.5-to-2 mana for a single draw.

It's not a beast and it comes out on a turn where even a Midrange Hunter wants to be dropping bigger threats like Stranglethorn Tiger to continue to apply pressure to the opponent. I don't think Hunter wants to slow down their tempo to draw weenie cards like this. I'm not sure that this is really anything better than a typical card draw minion like Gnomish Inventor in a Hunter deck. So I don't think it's playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom