• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

small time recruits is a 3 cost card, so let's say this effect is worth ~2 mana, the body is about 3.5 mana. The math on it is ok, I feel if you could get spells from it too, it could be much more stronger.

You could build a deck with tracking that always finds certain cards, it could be significant. Think C'Thun/N'Zoth hunter and something like that with specific 'I win card'.

That would have made hunter much more interesting imo.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
small time recruits is a 3 cost card, so let's say this effect is worth ~2 mana, the body is about 3.5 mana. The math on it is ok, I feel if you could get spells from it too, it could be much more stronger.

You could build a deck with tracking that always finds certain cards, it could be significant. Think C'Thun/N'Zoth hunter and something like that with specific 'I win card'.

Yeah being able to get 1 mana spells would be awesome. No question the card would be good with that. As it stands the card seems middlingly useful. It's probably OP AF in arena though. Some people gonna get rolled by this in arena.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I wouldn't even say the card is that great in arena. It's actually pretty hard to run 3 or more 1-drops there.

small time recruits is such a tempo killer. By the time you play your 1 drops, 1 aoe spell is enough to clear them all.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Small time recruits is also overpriced.

Giving up significant tempo to gain 1 drops just doesn't make much sense. It's not like you're going to extend the game very long with 2 or 3 additional one drops in hand.

Maybe if there's a reason you want a large number of cards in hand, like for smugglers run or twilight drake, or want to fetch a particular one drop for a particular purpose. But never to just restock your hand.

I do like their examples have to be alley cat, basically turning it into a 7 mana 3/5 onyxia, or runic egg turning it into a 7 mana 3/5 eventually draw 2. It's about the best they could do.

Crap value, crap tempo, what's the point?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so what this card allows is for you to put four 1 drops in your deck for early game consistency, then get the rest out of the way when you need to draw highmanes and stuff

once the 1 drops are in your hand, you drop them as needed as beast synergy activators

if you're feeling super greedy you can even toss a starving buzzard into the deck for more late game draw via alleycat or something, and you're potentially drawing 4 extra cards between turns 5 and 6.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hunter quest is probably going to be something like "summon twenty 1-health beasts" for synergy with the billion ways hunter has to create beast tokens.

Edit: Then maybe once you summon enough beasts you get a "stampede" card which summons a bunch of beasts with charge

Just lost to purify priest at rank 5, by that I mean I lost to renounce warlock getting paletress, inspiring into Icehowl and then purifying it.

It's my fault really could have gotten rid of it much earlier but it was so inconspicuous.

Magnus

Gonna post this again and hopefully save more fellow Canucks some dinero:

Get your expansion preorder in on an Android tablet or phone and pay $49 CDN instead of $69 CDN via Apple or PC platforms. Big savings.

I would imagine the same principle applies to buying other pack denominations too, but haven't compared prices there.

wiibomb

Gonna post this again and hopefully save more fellow Canucks some dinero:

Get your expansion preorder in on an Android tablet or phone and pay $49 CDN instead of $69 CDN via Apple or PC platforms. Big savings.

I would imagine the same principle applies to buying other pack denominations too, but haven't compared prices there.

may be I'm wrong but the amazon coins deal is pretty sweet too, I got to order the expansion for about $37 USD with the 500 coin bonus they are giving out for buying the preorder.

ooh! may be we are judging it harshly, we have to see the rest of the cards.. or may be it is a patches/finja case where we aren't really seeing how it works out with the tools we have

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Get me some packs Neirea!
GO NEI-REA CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP!

Tolvir warden seems okay. Not great. I think it has potential.

I liked the game a lot more when I first started playing. It's been on a slow trek downhill.

Also, it's really clear that Lifecoach is saying skill is negligible in the game among those who understand it. Sure, if you compare an inexperienced player to an experienced one, the latter has an advantage. But when you pit two experienced players against one another, the game is the primary decider of who wins.

You just ignored the part where I said a top player had a 40% higher chance to win over another legend player. Or are suddenly legendary players inexperienced? No, you're just putting a spin that suits you.

"Skill doesn't really matter" is hardly misrepresentative of Lifecoach stance since that's literally what he is saying.
Pointing out that he says that skill matters a little bit doesn't change that at all.

Please follow the conversation before, if you ever, jump into one.

Tol'vir Warden doesn't seem all that great to me. The stats are poor and it's difficult for 1 drops to have a major impact at that point in the game. It does thin your deck though so, while I think the cost is too high, I could maybe see Hunter running 1 copy as a deck thinner if they run 4+ 1 drops.

gutshot

Presumably Tol'vir Warden is supposed to synergize with the Grimy Goons handbuffing mechanic. But since that whole mechanic is a flop, I'm not sure how good the card will be.

ZealousD

Presumably Tol'vir Warden is supposed to synergize with the Grimy Goons handbuffing mechanic. But since that whole mechanic is a flop, I'm not sure how good the card will be.

The Grimy Goon mechanic in Hunter isn't like the mechanic in Paladin, where having more cards in your hand is better. If anything this is anti-synergy with handbuff in Hunter, because you would be less likely to buff a Rat Pack or Tundra Rhino if you have beasts like Alley Cat or Fiery Bat in your hand.

There is a solid chance it helps with the quest and looks a lot better after that. Hard to judge til we know the rest of their cards. So far it just seems like an azure drake for them that can only draw 1 drops, which in a way isn't bad at all.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Neirea pls ... my packs :(

Edit: Neirea #NotLikeThijs

bjaelke

I wouldn't even say the card is that great in arena. It's actually pretty hard to run 3 or more 1-drops there.

Alley Cat or Fiery Bat

Hunter is actually one of the only classes with a lot of early class minions including 1 mana after 7.1. That's the only reason it isn't dumpster in arena - it can go aggro. With a new 1 drop and adding offering bonus in Un'goro I could definitely see the argument for running Tolvir Warden.

bjaelke

Hun5kkmcUhor9xjxZqWY3f-650-80.jpg

From PCGamer

wiibomb

this is much more than just a 1 drop, it can work well as a late game drop since the freeze effect is so good for delaying hits.

besides, I really wonder if this would make shatter more usable.

Pooya

that card must be top tier in arena. freeze is a big deal, frost elemental is already a good pick and this is much more cost effective, it can swing all the trades and tempo.

Not sure how to evaluate that card. It's probably a little better for activating your elemental synergies in the late game but freeze effects are mostly irrelevant in constructed.

I think freeze effects are actually quite strong in constructed. However the only neutral was frost elemental and that is a pretty big investment for that effect. I'm not sure if this is good enough, but I think the text is strong and it is also an elemental so it could find a place easily I think.

This could be a strong minion in a burn mage perhaps if ice lance wasn't being rotated. I don't think it makes shatter worth running because I think there are better freeze effects for mage. Maybe elemental mage.

ZealousD

Glacial Shard seems really bad to me. If you go first, the battlecry is irrelevant. If you go second, it gets pinged. In the late game it's barely any better than Freezing Potion. All it does it make bad cards like Shatter or Cryomancer better. And you don't play bad cards to make other bad cards better.

Fersis

Dammit Fersis, stop cheeting for Neira. I need DrJ to win. D=
Sorry brosky :)

Glacial Shard seems really bad to me. If you go first, the battlecry is irrelevant. If you go second, it gets pinged. In the late game it's barely any better than Freezing Potion. All it does it make bad cards like Shatter or Cryomancer better. And you don't play bad cards to make other bad cards better.
Glaciar Shard + Shatter combo kinda sounds good to be honest. (Though i dont play Mage so i dunno)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I doubt anybody has delusions this gets played outside of an elemental deck. The question is how good those will end up being.

This seems like a potentially good activator.

You just ignored the part where I said a top player had a 40% higher chance to win over another legend player. Or are suddenly legendary players inexperienced? No, you're just putting a spin that suits you.
I didn't ignore it at all. The counterpoint is actually directly in the interview:
We realised how ridiculous the system is, in that it rewards hard grinding. The more games you play, the more reward you get. Skill doesn't really matter. It's quantity over quality. As people who are striving for perfection, that's actually a really bad thing. It's not about who's playing the best, it's basically about who's playing the most. I mean, obviously you still have to play well, but quantity weighs way more than quality in this system.
A player in legend isn't meaningful. Players who consistently reach legend are just those with a lot of spare time on their hands. Anyone can hit legend with a very basic understanding of the game and the right meta deck. You will encounter good matchups at the appropriate rate and eventually get there. It's just a mindless grind with rewards to keep you on the RNG treadmill.

I don't know where you're getting the 40% from:
In terms of game-winning percentage, a world class player had a 70% chance to win against a legend-quality player a year or so ago. Not true anymore. Nowadays you have at max maybe 62 or 63%.
If two players are of equal skill, a 50% win/loss rate is to be expected. That the best players in the world can't even crack 70% winrates against people who just have a ton of spare time is horrendous. If you are the best player in the world, you have about a 10% greater chance than any other random legendary player at getting a win. LOL You can't overstate how much that speaks against the state of the game.

squidyj

card seems good, it's not even just an enemy minion, you can freeze face to lockout a weapon swing, freeze out an unfavorable trade on board to push more face damage and alter the board state.

I didn't ignore it at all. The counterpoint is actually directly in the interview:

A player in legend isn't meaningful. Players who consistently reach legend are just those with a lot of spare time on their hands. Anyone can hit legend with a very basic understanding of the game and the right meta deck. You will encounter good matchups at the appropriate rate and eventually get there. It's just a mindless grind with rewards to keep you on the RNG treadmill.

Setting aside your "counterpoint", which doesn't actually address what I said. If you have a 40% higher chance than your opponent to win a game as a result of being a better play, that is not the result of the game not having skill.

Trying to change the topic as to whether it is hard to easy to hit legend is just another misleading misdirection.
If two players are of equal skill, a 50% win/loss rate is to be expected. That the best players in the world can't even crack 70% winrates against people who just have a ton of spare time is horrendous. If you are the best player in the world, you have about a 10% greater chance than any other random legendary player at getting a win. LOL You can't overstate how much that speaks against the state of the game.

Of course you don't know where I got 40% from because you didn't read the article nor actually follow what I said. You take a statement out of context and then argue against it.

Pooya

Freeze effects are actually really strong, even freezing potion is a strong card for 0. It's like a cheaper alternate sap effect. Just because there isn't a deck for it, doesn't mean it's a bad card. Actually freezing potion is played in aggro mage right now, vlps list. It's so powerful with antonidas too, stall their board, get fireballs.

With ice lance gone, the effect becomes a lot weaker, it's probably why they're printing them now. Not every class can ping, in a tempo deck, you could be happy if your opponent uses hero power instead of playing stuff.

Edit: Actually this is one of the cards you do want to bounce back in rogue. You can stall big time with this and that's what you want.

Hunter card earlier can draw these, freeze board and push face damage instead and not worry about getting traded into. I'd say it's better than fiery bat.

I like the card the more I think about it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
This is another way to give Freeze Mage a 1 mana spell that does no damage and enables them to stall better. Without Ice Lance I don't think this is going to matter that much though. The card is interesting in an academic sense, but probably not good enough to play in constructed. You definitely don't want to play this T1 against most classes so it's usefulness in aggro is limited. Meh card at best.

Had a Paladin quest so I made a handbuff deck to mess around with. First game I queue into a mirror match. It was so bizarre: we basically played chicken with our Grimestreet Enforcers while dropping bigger and bigger minions. There was an 8/12 Dirty Rat, a 9/8 Ooze, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom