• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Blizzard

Banned
I'm back from vacation and have 3 mage quests. Is there an easy rank 10-15 mage deck anyone recommends? I don't have mage legendaries.

*edit* I do have the neutral legendary Medivh, if that helps.

inky

I'm back from vacation and have 3 mage quests. Is there an easy rank 10-15 mage deck anyone recommends? I don't have mage legendaries.

*edit* I do have the neutral legendary Medivh, if that helps.

Basic generic meta deck. Good for quests

### Control Mage
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Mana Wyrm
# 2x (2) Arcanologist
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Medivh's Valet
# 2x (2) Primordial Glyph
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (3) Ice Block
# 2x (3) Volcanic Potion
# 1x (4) Eater of Secrets
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 1x (4) Polymorph
# 1x (5) Harrison Jones
# 1x (6) Meteor
# 2x (7) Firelands Portal
# 1x (7) Flamestrike
# 1x (8) Medivh, the Guardian
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
# 1x (10) Pyroblast
#
AAECAf0ECIivAk2QB5bHAuwHobcCxQS/CAuVA8HBApYF17YCmMQCqwTtBMAB6boCuwKjtgIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Blizzard

Banned
Basic generic meta deck. Good for quests

### Control Mage
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Mana Wyrm
# 2x (2) Arcanologist
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Medivh's Valet
# 2x (2) Primordial Glyph
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (3) Ice Block
# 2x (3) Volcanic Potion
# 1x (4) Eater of Secrets
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 1x (4) Polymorph
# 1x (5) Harrison Jones
# 1x (6) Meteor
# 2x (7) Firelands Portal
# 1x (7) Flamestrike
# 1x (8) Medivh, the Guardian
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
# 1x (10) Pyroblast
#
AAECAf0ECIivAk2QB5bHAuwHobcCxQS/CAuVA8HBApYF17YCmMQCqwTtBMAB6boCuwKjtgIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Thanks, I have Harrison but will have to substitute something for Alexstrasza.

I also have 1 Primordial Glyph and 1 Ice Block, which means mage will be pretty tough to win for me, lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks, I have Harrison but will have to substitute something for Alexstrasza.

I also have 1 Primordial Glyph and 1 Ice Block, which means mage will be pretty tough to win for me, lol.
Haha yeah Alex and ice block are two of the most important cards in the deck.

Blizzard

Banned
I kind of hate mage and priest with a passion (playing as, playing against, existing in the game), so I guess it's not surprising I didn't craft anything. :p

TankUP

This week's Tavern Brawl is "All-Star Squad"

Spiders and Portals have had their chance, now you choose! Pick one card for your deck and you will get 22 copies of it plus 8 random class cards!

...so, uh, Patches? Upgrade? Mind Blast?

Blizzard

Banned
This week's Tavern Brawl is "All-Star Squad"

Spiders and Portals have had their chance, now you choose! Pick one card for your deck and you will get 22 copies of it plus 8 random class cards!

...so, uh, Patches? Upgrade? Mind Blast?
22 ice blocks should be enough for anyone!

Beckx

Patches summoning a board of Patches every turn

here I was thinking "hmm, Jade Idols?" lol

I've got to learn to Dream Bigger

(though Jade Idols was fine, my opponent chose Fireball lol)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I kind of hate mage and priest with a passion (playing as, playing against, existing in the game), so I guess it's not surprising I didn't craft anything. :p

I hate every faction but Mage (mine) and Hunter (easy for me to beat) so yeah I get it. :D

There's actually a tempo list one of the streamers was using that worked to decent effect that you might have the cards for. No legendaries. Avian is nice. Don't have a link but here's the one I made based on it (I don't think I tweaked it much -- added one Ice Block and one Crystal Runner, and I think removed Eater and Ooze though you can certainly tech those back in. I just like Ice Block here not even for the block itself but just b/c the deck is so reliant on having unpopped secrets):
2M3vMhk.png

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks, though I ended up just adding some other cards and playing casual to get the wins. Ranked was tough without the good cards.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Maelstrom Portal beats Patches.
Mind blast beats Maelstrom Portal.
Patches beats Mind Blast.

wiibomb

there seems to be a bug, I get revealed my opponents card draw sometimes

Maelstrom Portal beats Patches.
Mind blast beats Maelstrom Portal.
Patches beats Mind Blast.

does Maelstrom really beat patches? I mean, I can do 22 damage + hunter hero power and just win

Beckx

explosive trap w/ coin v patches

though if both are hunters the patches hunter should out-damage in the long run

still would be funny

edit, eh, still probably not even close vs hunter.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
does Maelstrom really beat patches? I mean, I can do 22 damage + hunter hero power and just win

Yeah I was theory crafting when I said that. My first game was Hunter patches vs Maelstrom Portal and it was still an easy win with Patches. I just had to use the hero power on Turn 2.

bahahaha tavern brawl is the tits with Patches.

edit: just beat a patches rogue because I was playing patches druid. DAT 1 PT ARMOR

moar edit: I can't wait to see what all funny junk people pull to anti-patches. This brawl will be so good. brb, brawling all week

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thank you based Blizzard for the Cavern's Below nerf.
It's also a quality of life improvement since now everything it's 5.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Patches druid seems like it could be the best deck if you get lucky and pull any of the +1/1 cards as your random ones. That will put you above probably anything.

The +1 armor won't help you beat a hunter patches, but your random cards seem like they would be more likely to be good vs the hunter's.

DrkSage

bahahaha tavern brawl is the tits with Patches.

edit: just beat a patches rogue because I was playing patches druid. DAT 1 PT ARMOR

moar edit: I can't wait to see what all funny junk people pull to anti-patches. This brawl will be so good. brb, brawling all week

Patches hunter.... facehunters wet dream

Patches druid seems like it could be the best deck if you get lucky and pull any of the +1/1 cards as your random ones. That will put you above probably anything.

The +1 armor won't help you beat a hunter patches, but your random cards seem like they would be more likely to be good vs the hunter's.

That's what I was hoping for - any of the +1/+1s, but turns out the armor did kinda save me.

DrkSage

Patches Hunter is the obvious option but that just feels like cheating.

You can lose in the last turn if your opponent (like shaman or paladin) pulls out a weapon

Fucking shaman and his jade claws

Edit: now that I think about it, I lost that one because I ran out of patches since the last bunch of patches was in my hand

Blizzard

Banned
Does this mean Mage will become even more popular in ranked? I pretty much NEVER saw Rogue at rank 10-15 as it was, and this means they'll presumably be reduced to the occasional miracle Rogue deck.

Eddie Bax

Got a five tavern brawls quest today; completed it in less than 10 minutes. Sorry to all the people I cheesed to get it done that quickly.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think I know what deck is going to get a big boost out of this...

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRATE WARRIOR.

So get ready to see a lot more of that one for sure.

With that nerf probably making Caverns Rogue no longer a top tier deck, Pirate warrior fills most of that void in the aggro/aggressive style deck. Rogue was more of a combo deck than aggro, but since it generally won quickly So we have to think what decks were being held down by the cavern rogue deck. I don't really know what those were though. Most of the decks that lost to it also lost to stuff like Pirate warrior or Midrange Hunter.

Maybe Mid Hunter is the one that benefits the most? Hard to say. I'll be happy to keep playing cavern rogue when I have the rogue cards quest though. The deck is still fun to play, even if it's terrible.

TankUP

Does this mean Mage will become even more popular in ranked? I pretty much NEVER saw Rogue at rank 10-15 as it was, and this means they'll presumably be reduced to the occasional miracle Rogue deck.

People played Mage to counter Quest Rogue, so if there are fewer quest rogues Mage will presumably not be as popular.

Pirate Warrior was already an auto win vs Crystal Rogue.

This nerf helps Jade Rogue and every control deck.

Beckx

well

Rogue, Rogue, Rogue. This is the answer to many questions that will rise from the data we've collected over the past week. Crystal Rogue's numbers at legend have increased further and it has become the most popular deck at higher levels of play, a stark contrast from its numbers at the bottleneck to legend. Rogue's numbers are a response to slow decks that attempted to battle the two popular board flooding archetypes of Shaman and Druid. Control Priest is the best example, as it has skyrocketed in its popularity at legend on the back of individual success from several players. Whenever a control deck rises in play, there is an immediate rise of Rogues to counter it.

There are too many Rogues at the legend ladder, and we might need to make a deal with the devil to get rid of them. Equip your Arcanite Reapers, matey's, for it is time to smack Valeera and Maiev, right in their fair elven faces.

Pirate Warrior looks really strong at the moment as a result of the decline in one of its biggest counters (Token Druid) as well as the rise of its biggest prey (Crystal Rogue). Unlike the token decks that give it trouble, it is far more resilient to defensive archetypes that pack AOE, since it can often get over the finishing line with the ridiculous amount of off-board damage it carries.

http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-53/

13% of legend decks were Crystal Rogue. it's way less prevalent prior to legend.

If Pirate Warrior was rising due to the fall in decks destroyed by Crystal Rogue, a decline in Crystal Rogue should be bad for Pirate Warrior.

With that nerf probably making Caverns Rogue no longer a top tier deck, Pirate warrior fills most of that void in the aggro/aggressive style deck. Rogue was more of a combo deck than aggro, but since it generally won quickly So we have to think what decks were being held down by the cavern rogue deck. I don't really know what those were though. Most of the decks that lost to it also lost to stuff like Pirate warrior or Midrange Hunter.

Maybe Mid Hunter is the one that benefits the most? Hard to say. I'll be happy to keep playing cavern rogue when I have the rogue cards quest though. The deck is still fun to play, even if it's terrible.
Why would pirate warrior win from losing an opponent that was close to a free win.

Slow decks benefit from this. Quest Warrior, Druid, slower paladin builds. All the decks that could neither outvalue or race the deck.

Blizzard

Banned
People played Mage to counter Quest Rogue, so if there are fewer quest rogues Mage will presumably not be as popular.
I guess I'd never heard of people doing that. I thought they played Mage because it was a good deck. Pirate warrior / aggro druid already crushed quest rogue.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Why would pirate warrior win from losing an opponent that was close to a free win.

Slow decks benefit from this. Quest Warrior, Druid, slower paladin builds. All the decks that could neither outvalue or race the deck.

The players that played quest rogue for quick wins will be playing pirate warrior.

fertygo

Miracle Rogue will be more playable too because with slower matchup rise.. the very major issue Quest Rogue is very punishing "mirror"

And Miracle Rogue is kinda ok vs aggro

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Makes Quest Rogue less viable, but I still don't think it actually helps some of the other class' quests become more viable.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Makes Quest Rogue less viable, but I still don't think it actually helps some of the other class' quests become more viable.

not really aimed at class quests

more aimed at allowing control decks to exist

I'm okay with this nerf. I don't think it will push Quest Rogue completely out of play. Also 5 minions for 5/5 everything makes more sense.

fertygo

You can kinda argue control deck exist just fine tho

They only just had to eat some q rogue bullet.

Meanwhile this nerf abdolutely made q rogue wont survive any aggro.

TankUP

Even with a bullet in quest rogue's head, you can still target control with Jade Druid. It's not like control gets a free ride now.

I'm excited to play in an unsettled meta for at least a little while after the nerf. I'm not convinced this particular change was needed, but any change is good when the meta starts feeling stale, at least in the short term.

Top Bottom