• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Dahbomb

I meant classic Legendaries, class or neutral. Like Edwin is a perfectly fine craft especially if you plan to play Rogue.

Most neutral Legendaries especially in Ungoro suck.

Zakalwe

Banned
I meant classic Legendaries, class or neutral. Like Edwin is a perfectly fine craft especially if you plan to play Rogue.

Oh, sorry, still makes no sense to me.

I mean, let's say you want to build Pirate Warrior and you needed Patches to make it work. Would you really prioritise another class legendary even if you weren't going to use it just because you believe it's better in the long run? Meaning you won't be able to use the deck you actually want to play right now, but you /might/ find a situation later where you're glad you invested in the classic card instead?

That seems like a really inefficient way to play, especially when you almost always need new decks to play /now/ to take advantage of the current meta and higher ranks = more prizes.

Classic aren't always best for right now, and lots of the good classic cards aren't even used that often.

Dahbomb

You should make Patches anyway because Patches is broken as hell.

If you have a specific deck in mind then by all means craft the cards for the deck.

If you DON'T know which deck you want to play and you are playing the game for the long haul, then craft classic cards.

I personally never have a specific deck I want to play outside of Handlock and Warlock decks. I always craft all the Warlock cards and from there I just wait and see. But even then I prioritize getting the classic cards completed first.

You really should aim for specific decks. Never craft a card just because it's good. Craft it because you want to use it. Craft it when you want to use it. I can assure you that black knight you're eyeing, it's not changing price any time soon anyway. It doesn't earn value sitting in your collection.

wiibomb

You really should aim for specific decks. Never craft a card just because it's good. Craft it because you want to use it. Craft it when you want to use it. I can assure you that black knight you're eyeing, it's not changing price any time soon anyway. It doesn't earn value sitting in your collection.

unless anyone wants to build a collection (like me), this is a very wise advice to follow.

I would also add to focus on what you want to play most, too unfocused and the dust would just vanish in a lot of legendaries very rarely played

Zakalwe

Banned
unless anyone wants to build a collection (like me), this is a very wise advice to follow.

I would also add to focus on what you want to play most, too unfocused and the dust would just vanish in a lot of legendaries very rarely played

Why does building a collection make it less wise? If you want to catch em all you will need to craft everything at some point any way... may as well craft the cards you want to use now.

I guess there's the chance to find the new legendaries in the new packs... but you can't bank on that.

Grief.exe

Blizzard really needs to do a rethink on how much this game costs.

Right now I'm starting down about 1 pack per day, with averaging 30 dust per pack. That's a month and a half to earn one legendary.

Why does building a collection make it less wise? If you want to catch em all you will need to craft everything at some point any way... may as well craft the cards you want to use now.

I guess there's the chance to find the new legendaries in the new packs... but you can't bank on that.

You're extremely unlikely to see any duplicate legendaries this expansion anyways. 23 legendaries, 1% drop rate.

Mulgrok

1 legendary so far this expansion in 60 packs, fml

EDIT: I crafted 3 with dust though.

EDIT2: back in the day my first crafted legendary was Ragnaros, because random fire balls were fun in every deck.

Xanathus

Right now I'm starting down about 1 pack per day, with averaging 30 dust per pack. That's a month and a half to earn one legendary.

You're extremely unlikely to see any duplicate legendaries this expansion anyways. 23 legendaries, 1% drop rate.

Unless you're playing more than enough games to get 15 wins everyday, you're going to be losing money/gold by buying 1 pack per day. Your best bet to break even is just to buy 1 pack every 2 days since you average 100 gold from 2 daily quests.

You also get a minimum of 40 dust per pack.

Grief.exe

Unless you're playing more than enough games to get 15 wins everyday, you're going to be losing money/gold by buying 1 pack per day. Your best bet to break even is just to buy 1 pack every 2 days since you average 100 gold from 2 daily quests.

You also get a minimum of 40 dust per pack.

I've been averaging in the mid 30s the past week for extras.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was feeling overwhelmed on how to craft my future, and now I have a good idea of what I want to do. Since the Warrior deck requires so many Classic Epics, I am going to hold off and try to get those through packs. Instead, I am going to craft Kalimos (I have everything else for Elemental Shaman), and then I am going to craft either Edwin and Sherazin so I can play Miracle Rogue, or I am going to craft Raza and Awaken the Makers so I can play my Priest deck.

I'm not sure which of those would be better in Wild, hmm...

If I could get all 3 of these I would be so happy. Then I would just be missing a competitive Paladin deck.

Blizzard

Banned

As much as this is a problem, I do think the brawl this week was a great gesture. The Blizzard-designed decks may be bad, but at least it lets people get a taste of what they are like without having to craft like 7 legendaries.

Blizzard

Banned
Quest rogue is not fun to play against. Like not fun at all. Even wins
I feel the following are not fun to play against:

* Mages who freeze so you can't do anything
* Priests of any form
* Anything that drags the game out to fatigue (mainly priests and warriors)
* Anything with lots of taunts, primarily warriors
* Rogues who have strong VanCleefs or VanLeafs
* Hunters who get lucky RNG summons and strong early minions
* Shamans who have strong early games, get lucky withs pell draws, or get lucky with totems

I don't mind too much if I lose to the occasional paladin or druid. I'm relatively happy losing to quest rogue or pirate warrior since it happens very quickly and I can get on to the next game.

Lyng

I feel the following are not fun to play against:

* Mages who freeze so you can't do anything
* Priests of any form
* Anything that drags the game out to fatigue (mainly priests and warriors)
* Anything with lots of taunts, primarily warriors
* Rogues who have strong VanCleefs or VanLeafs
* Hunters who get lucky RNG summons and strong early minions
* Shamans who have strong early games, get lucky withs pell draws, or get lucky with totems

I don't mind too much if I lose to the occasional paladin or druid. I'm relatively happy losing to quest rogue or pirate warrior since it happens very quickly and I can get on to the next game.

For some reason loosing in HS feels much worse then any other game.
I cannot exactly pinpoint why though. Maybe the amount of rng compared to some of the physical card games I play, or the way that ranked is such a grind that every loss is devastating.

It's weird because at the same time, I feel, the game is in a fantastic state right now when it comes to balance and variety of viable decks.

I cannot exactly pinpoint why though. Maybe the amount of rng compared to some of the physical card games I play, or the way that ranked is such a grind that every loss is devastating.

It's weird because at the same time, I feel, the game is in a fantastic state right now when it comes to balance and variety of viable decks.

The RNG is hit and miss.

It's miss when an opponent gets the pyroblast they need and you go 'fuck this shit'.

It's a hit when you get the perfect card you need in order to trounce your opponent.

It's different from other card games in that sense, all the RNG. I personally like it, but I see why it's infuriating.

Blizzard

Banned

I hear what you're saying, but with the streak mechanic and the ranked floors I feel like ranked is WAY less grindy than say, League of Legends or Overwatch.

Lyng

I hear what you're saying, but with the streak mechanic and the ranked floors I feel like ranked is WAY less grindy than say, League of Legends or Overwatch.

Oh I absolutely agree. For some reason though I have this urge to get to legend just once, something I don't care about in other games.
Maybe because I am a board game enthusiast

pringles

Trying to get into this again. Made it to rank 12 pretty smoothly, but now I've lost probably 10 of my last 15 and most of it to those decks with the quest that give 5/5 minions. It's ridiculous. Like wtf. Seems like it'd be stupid powerful even if it gave +1/+1 but 5/5??? Being able to spam 1 mana minions that have 5/5 is just impossible to keep up with. And nothing you can do to prevent them from easily clearing the quest. What's the answer?

I'm playing this very casually but getting absolutely wrecked like this by decks that feel impossible to counter is the least fun the game has been since it launched for me.

Majukun

yeah,the meta is even shittier than uit was pre-patch..quest rogue is absurd, pirate warrior is alive and well and has been joined by other extra aggro decks,so basically every match is decided by the 5th turn...

Blizzard

Banned
Trying to get into this again. Made it to rank 12 pretty smoothly, but now I've lost probably 10 of my last 15 and most of it to those decks with the quest that give 5/5 minions. It's ridiculous. Like wtf. Seems like it'd be stupid powerful even if it gave +1/+1 but 5/5??? Being able to spam 1 mana minions that have 5/5 is just impossible to keep up with. And nothing you can do to prevent them from easily clearing the quest. What's the answer?

I'm playing this very casually but getting absolutely wrecked like this by decks that feel impossible to counter is the least fun the game has been since it launched for me.
What deck(s) are you playing?

Fewr

Oh you mean you are immediately disenchanting every extra card you get from packs, and thats what you mean by 30. Kind of a weird way to enumerate your pack values :/

Ah, that makes sense. I thought of it as averaging 30 wins per day and here I was thinking I barely have time for 5 games on weekdays, I can't imagine doing 30 wins daily.

29-9 on ladder now with my tolvir warden hunter. based it off my 29-19 quest hunter deck which is more fun but, 1 drops for hunter are so OP right now you can run dumb shit like this lol. only costs 880 dust if anyones having trouble (only 5 cards in the deck are rares, everything else common or basic)
cEdZ3pI.png

Pooya

people will eventually get tired of losing with quest rogue and play something else. don't worry :b

everyone seems to have took notice how good paladin is, I don't even see rogues anymore. all rogue decks right now have mediocre below 50 winrates . I've been trying jade rogue with N'zoth, this is a deck that has tempo and value to beat mid paladin. Still working on it, I think it has more potential than miracle with giants, you need way more threats than that to beat these slower decks. Miracle deck has next to no midrange pressure, that's terrible. I think it's better against aggressive decks too, you have more early game to play.

I miss dark iron skulker, that card would have been amazing right now, against druid, hunter and paladin. The meta finally is good for it, too late...

TankUP

The more control oriented version of quest warrior runs him. And some of the greedy druid decks run him too.

I'd be curious to see a quest warrior list that runs a 9 drop. I tried to make 9 drops work (Mosh, in particular) but I found that in the late game you really want to be hitting that hero power every single turn.

So I went ahead and crafted Edwin, Tiron, and Lyra. I have enough dust left for 2 legendaries or 8 epics, or 1 and 4.

Thinking of just doing epics:
2x Murloc Warleader (in case I want to do any murloc deck ever)
2x Shadow Visions
2x Primordial Glyph

Then I'm not sure. Probably the second copy of preparation I never got so I can actually do this Rogue thing, maybe a dragonfire potion, I'm not sure. So many epics are important now, it's kind of a pain.

I don't know if it's too late to comment on this, but I just wanted to say that you should absolutely craft two Preps if you want to get the best out of your VanCleef. It, along with Backstab and Coins, is what enables you to get a huge one out on early turns and win you the game on the spot. It is also just a vital card in general and obviously works well with Gadgetzan Auctioneer.

pringles

What deck(s) are you playing?
Running mostly Shaman decks, been using a lot of overload decks but now I'm trying to make something with the elementals. I rarely follow any guides to build decks so I'm used to not killing it on the ladder, but still those quest rogues are just way too impossible for it to be fun.

Triz

Just drafted an arena mage deck with Inkmaster Scolia (and no duplicates in the deck,) The Curator and Alexstraza.

1 Fireball
1 Firelands
1 Cabalist Tomb

Here comes my 3 win run.

BashNasty

Running mostly Shaman decks, been using a lot of overload decks but now I'm trying to make something with the elementals. I rarely follow any guides to build decks so I'm used to not killing it on the ladder, but still those quest rogues are just way too impossible for it to be fun.

Good on you, don't give into cancerous netdecking. Keep refining your decks and you'll find something that works.

Blizzard

Banned
Good on you, don't give into cancerous netdecking. Keep refining your decks and you'll find something that works.
As someone who has/had a bunch of relatives with cancer, I really wish this term wasn't trivially thrown around for something like "learning from online decks instead of engaging in grindy experimentation". :(

I think priest with dragonfire, zoo warlock, aggro / midrange hunter can all do well if you're encountering a bunch of them. I think at least one warrior variant has good success.

Someone posted a list of 5-6 such archetypes but unfortunately I don't remember where. And this doesn't mean you have to netdeck, just wanted to give you an idea of where to start if your particular ladder segment is infested with them. :)

Hanzou

29-9 on ladder now with my tolvir warden hunter. based it off my 29-19 quest hunter deck which is more fun but, 1 drops for hunter are so OP right now you can run dumb shit like this lol. only costs 880 dust if anyones having trouble (only 5 cards in the deck are rares, everything else common or basic)
I was running a deck very similar to that before and found I would somwtimes run out of steam by turn 5 or 6. I would have a hand full of 1 drops that seemed to be underpowered at that point of the game. Any advice on how you play this deck more efficiently?

Ketch

So my latest idea to make quest warlock work revolves around sense demons......

What if the only demons you run are melchazars imps, lakkari felhounds, and doomguards? The only other discard is soul fire. Then I put in the elemental package with tar creepers and servant of kalimos. Then I rounded the deck out with mistress of mixtures, stone hill defenders, cruel dinomancers and a storm wind champion. It has lots of extra cards with the elementals and discovers and a minimal discard package that can be found with sense demons....

So it's like a weird non aggressive slow taunt value zoo? With quest or storm wind champ or discover rng as the win condition? I haven't tried it yet. I think I may include one copy of renounce darkness just in case.

I was running a deck very similar to that before and found I would somwtimes run out of steam by turn 5 or 6. I would have a hand full of 1 drops that seemed to be underpowered at that point of the game. Any advice on how you play this deck more efficiently?
That's why I run tolvir warden, all my one drops have a lot of synergy with everything else (hyena, timber with uth, alley cat, razormaw) so tolvir is there to pick up the steam, also tracking, so late game you can skip over the junk, you have to play board control for a few turns but it's strong in std bc there aren't too many board clears or heals atm, I think my list is pretty damn optimized, crawler could be subbed for another juggler but other than that i built it so there's very strong synergy between everything, few games make it past turn 8-10, if you haven't won by then you aren't going to be saved by a highmane anyway, I can post win rate when at home but that's the gist, no one outside of pirate warrior can keep up with you until turn 5or6 due to razor maw hounds synergy and hyena

Stuff like timber wolfs (key) and houndmaster allow you to make very uneven trades until mid game when you should be bursting for the kill

wiibomb

I literally netdeck 100% of my decks and I don't see how that is... "cancerous" or bad in any means.

Higher chance than commons or epics or rares. Like the Un'Goro pack that you get from Elise.

No it has the same chance for anything, sadly.

Elyse is the only special case of better chances of rarities

Top Bottom