• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Before a certain poster comes in to crap on this, I know there are various good reasons why Blizzard doesn't do it, but: I wish Casual was split up into different areas, like "Experimenting," "Practicing," "Questing," and "Just for Fun." It's kinda dumb when I am playing a silly Explore Un'goro deck to complete a Warrior Class Cards quest, and a Quest Rogue plays his Quest card turn one. I "Well Played," and coin out Explore Un'goro. He then try-hards me the whole game. Like, I get that what he wanted out of the game was different from what I did. I'm not mad. But it's kind of a silly dynamic to play over and over again, you know?

But I get it. It'd be hard to enforce, it'd split the player base "unnecessarily" etc. But that doesn't mean I can't dream. :p

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Before a certain poster comes in to crap on this, I know there are various good reasons why Blizzard doesn't do it, but: I wish Casual was split up into different areas, like "Experimenting," "Practicing," "Questing," and "Just for Fun." It's kinda dumb when I am playing a silly Explore Un'goro deck to complete a Warrior Class Cards quest, and a Quest Rogue plays his Quest card turn one. I "Well Played," and coin out Explore Un'goro. He then try-hards me the whole game. Like, I get that what he wanted out of the game was different from what I did. I'm not mad. But it's kind of a silly dynamic to play over and over again, you know?

But I get it. It'd be hard to enforce, it'd split the player base "unnecessarily" etc. But that doesn't mean I can't dream. :p

Just concede when he plays the quest and queue again.

And using try hard in those context is just nonsensical.

Szadek

It's getting a bit dull around, so I will probably unsub soon, but before I leave , I have one questions:
Do you guys think that the game is in a good spot right now?
It certainly looks better than MSG to me, but that's not saying much.

Just concede when he plays the quest and queue again.

And using try hard in those context is just nonsensical.

I just mean in the sense that he was playing very by the book, trying to end the game as quickly as possible. And honestly, with that deck, it's kind of all you can do. Like I said, not upset or anything. It's just a weird mismatch.

I did end up queuing up into the same person the next game and just insta-conceded.

Good bye Bran and Reno

Nothing but dust in the wind

😭😭😭😭😭
I honestly expected to miss both of those cards much more than I actually do. Brann especially was probably holding the game designers back.

I only wish there were more solid healing cards to fill the gap Reno left.

Hey, looking for some crafting advice. Is the Hunter or Warrior quests worth a go? Or the Paladin legendary minion? I have the other legendary cards for those classes to pair with them.

Hey, looking for some crafting advice. Is the Hunter or Warrior quests worth a go? Or the Paladin legendary minion? I have the other legendary cards for those classes to pair with them.

Hunter Quest isn't very good, but Warrior Quest is great. I haven't crafted it yet because it looks kinda boring to play though. Still undecided.

Tarim is great, if you plan on playing the class. I got him in a pack on opening day, so I haven't tried the class without him since launch. But I think he's pretty clutch if you want to play, say, Murlocadin.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Paladin legendary is the best legendary minion in the expansion, hunter quest is a bust, warrior quest is good but boring.

Paladin legendary is the best legendary minion in the expansion, hunter quest is a bust, warrior quest is good but boring.

Huh, this got me thinking. I guess Tarim is! The only other contenders, IMO, are Sherazin (which I had a feeling people were overlooking pre-launch,) Lyra and Kalimos. I guess you could make an argument for all four.

Hycran

Banned
Fuck Pirate Warrior. This shit needs to die.

Silence priest is pretty good against it. Once you get the 4-16 on the board there isnt anything they can do.

Then of course, if you miss your mulligan and dont get any silence effects, glhf.

I think i realized recently that the thing i hate the most about HS is that individual skill is so useless in many games. I had a game where, by constantly playing like i was panicking and by mousing over my lyra and flipping my cards around, i had a player make a shit trade. I had a 5-13 songstealer on the board and the guy killed the lyra because I made it look like I needed her card generation. Turns out, i had double plus inner in my hand so i immediately healed, went up to 30-30 and won the game. There is no doubt in my mind that I juked the shit out of the guy, and I've done it to a number of players before, but the game just simply isnt conducive to that kind of play on a regular basis.

Losing to RNG or Bad card draws is in the nature of card games and thats what it is, but losing because a player is better than you is unfortunately rather rare. I hope we see more cards like curious glimmerroot that have an active skill component who rewards players for actually being good thinkers and game players, not just top decking or having a perfect curve.

Elemental Shaman feels like it doesn't really have a win condition.

Silence priest is pretty good against it. Once you get the 4-16 on the board there isnt anything they can do.

Then of course, if you miss your mulligan and dont get any silence effects, glhf.

I think i realized recently that the thing i hate the most about HS is that individual skill is so useless in many games. I had a game where, by constantly playing like i was panicking and by mousing over my lyra and flipping my cards around, i had a player make a shit trade. I had a 5-13 songstealer on the board and the guy killed the lyra because I made it look like I needed her card generation. Turns out, i had double plus inner in my hand so i immediately healed, went up to 30-30 and won the game. There is no doubt in my mind that I juked the shit out of the guy, and I've done it to a number of players before, but the game just simply isnt conducive to that kind of play on a regular basis.

Losing to RNG or Bad card draws is in the nature of card games and thats what it is, but losing because a player is better than you is unfortunately rather rare. I hope we see more cards like curious glimmerroot that have an active skill component who rewards players for actually being good thinkers and game players, not just top decking or having a perfect curve.

Yeah, but then you die to Quest Rogue I bet.

Oh man, I just died to the Amara + Majordomo combo.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
damn, forgot to place my minions to play around mage discovering meteor to kill my 6/10 taunt and huffer

:/

I really want to craft Pyros and try to play an Elemental Tempo Mage, but I really don't see my win percentage being very high with that deck. Even though I love the idea of that deck, it doesn't seem like it would be very strong. I think I've only seen a handful of people running it so far.

For some reason I'm stuck at rank 6 with my Dragon Priest. I've been one win off from rank 5 at least 3 times now, each time I run into a Pirate Warrior and I go on a little losing streak. Getting pretty frustrating.

Hunter Quest isn't very good, but Warrior Quest is great. I haven't crafted it yet because it looks kinda boring to play though. Still undecided.

Tarim is great, if you plan on playing the class. I got him in a pack on opening day, so I haven't tried the class without him since launch. But I think he's pretty clutch if you want to play, say, Murlocadin.
You can definitely experiment with the warrior quest to make it a bit more exciting. I did a c'thun version which lets me make a few more decisions and actually play the game.

You can definitely experiment with the warrior quest to make it a bit more exciting. I did a c'thun version which lets me make a few more decisions and actually play the game.

That seems like a neat combination. Does playing Twilight Geomancer make your C'thun activate the quest as well?

Unfortunately, I won't be experimenting on ladder for a little while. I just hit Rank 6, which is the highest I've ever been. I want to hit Rank 5 before the season is over.

Ketch

Elemental Shaman feels like it doesn't really have a win condition

Its win condition is value. It's late game is insane. You often get a 2nd kalimos from discover. Flame elemental into blaze caller or stone sentinel into kalimos into 2nd kalimos. It's like playing dr.boom four turns in a row.

Zakalwe

Banned
Is anyone playing mid-ranged Paladin right now? Could you share your decklist if so please?

I'm pretty bad at reading the meta myself so I'm wondering what specific variants are working well right now.

Its win condition is value. It's late game is insane. You often get a 2nd kalimos from discover. Flame elemental into blaze caller or stone sentinel into kalimos into 2nd kalimos. It's like playing dr.boom four turns in a row.

Yep. It's trickier to play than a deak with an obvious win condition imo as you need to understand how to work the extra value the deck offers. Not saying it's difficult particularly, but I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it.

Hycran

Banned
Yeah, but then you die to Quest Rogue I bet.

Silence priest is pretty good against quest rogue as long as you draw well. You have, on average, about 4-6 turns to draw a guy, two doubles, an inner and a silence. Seeing as you can hard mulligan for these things, its not that hard to get there. I've won a number of games against quest rogue where they complete the quest and maybe even play it, only for me to smash their face in. Super draw dependant, but a quick game at least.

Oh man, I just died to the Amara + Majordomo combo.

I've never seen that, but I like the sound of it. You could trigger it yourself pretty easily with a shadow word death and amara on the same turn.

That seems like a neat combination. Does playing Twilight Geomancer make your C'thun activate the quest as well?

Unfortunately, I won't be experimenting on ladder for a little while. I just hit Rank 6, which is the highest I've ever been. I want to hit Rank 5 before the season is over.
Not sure. I always finish the quest before I get a chance to play c'thun, but I would certainly think so.

Fiiinally got to Rank 5! Woo!

rank56ex1x.png

First time ever hitting it. I dunno if I should make a run for Legend or not.

Also, I asked, and that's not "the" Dodger -- although when I went to add him/her, it only said "Dodger" and didn't have a number beside it, which I thought was odd.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Also, I asked, and that's not "the" Dodger -- although when I went to add him/her, it only said "Dodger" and didn't have a number beside it, which I thought was odd.

Nice job. I need to start saving up to craft the critical paladin cards.

Might as well keep going. It's not like you can go backwards anymore

I guess that's less of a thing in Wild where you have Priests running Lightbomb, Dragonfire Potion, Excavated Evil, and Holy Nova along with Entomb, N'Zoth, and Amara.

Silence priest is pretty good against quest rogue as long as you draw well. You have, on average, about 4-6 turns to draw a guy, two doubles, an inner and a silence. Seeing as you can hard mulligan for these things, its not that hard to get there. I've won a number of games against quest rogue where they complete the quest and maybe even play it, only for me to smash their face in. Super draw dependant, but a quick game at least.

I've never seen that, but I like the sound of it. You could trigger it yourself pretty easily with a shadow word death and amara on the same turn.
I'll give Silence Priest a shot.

The Majordomo combo is so sick...like I wanted to do Reno Quest Shadowpriest, but isn't Reno Majordomo Quest Priest straight up better in every way? lol

Top Bottom