• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also I gotta say crackling razormaw is a fantastic card. Putting poisonous on your kindly grandmother is just fucking delicious.

Peléo

UsFX5EQ.png
Even if it's a bit early, I could see Blizzard nerfing this to 5 minions instead of 4. Still, the deck suffers a lot if you can't find your bouncing cards.

People expected it to be harder to do. But really, you just need to bounce the same minion 2 or 3 times, which isn't actually that hard. Plus, they play the cards the produce 1/2 elemental tokens for redundancy.
It's more that the payoff is so much better than expected. Once the reward goes live you can immeditely have lethal from hand.
I'm not even convinced that it's that strong. I think people either aren't recognizing how to counter it or they aren't playing the kinds of decks that counter it.

Quest Rogue spends a lot of time dicking around in the early game bouncing stuff back and forth from the hand. There's at least four turns of prep time where you're doing things like playing weak minions or bouncing stuff where you're sacrificing a ton of tempo and early game board presence in order to fulfill the requirements of the quest. Efficient removal like backstab and eviscerate can only get you so far.

So how do you counter it? Do all the dumb aggro or curvestone stuff that Hearthstone is known for. Play early game stuff and exert pressure on your opponent. If you can establish a board before the Rogue can, then you can clear out any tiny minions they do have before they go into their Turn 5 where they play the quest. If they don't prep the quest out, then they can't establish a board on the same turn they play the quest. That gives you a full turn to conquer the board even further and punish them. The deck doesn't have any taunts or healing so from this point on you can take advantage of your early game push and race them down.
This has been my experience as well and makes warrior real tough mulligans since against PW you don't have the time to complete the quest you'll just die but against Quest warrior you're playing a very bad deck w/o it.

th3dude

Opened my 60-ish packs and got 3 legendaries. Sadly (?) they were all quests.

One of them was the Shaman Murloc quest, so I gave it a shot.

For a fast-paced, smash face and clear board kind of a deck, it is a ton of fun. I've had opponents quitting by turn 5 or 6 once my hand fills up with murlocs and I start throwing them on the board. Even the 5 mana 8/8 is good.

Having a blast in arena so far, pretty slow from what I can see. Lots of big taunts and genuinely interactive games not just better opening hands. The 6 mana paladin stegodon buff is insane though, that much I'm sure of.

diddums

I'm having fun with the rogue quest, I run Finja and double bluegill instead of Violet Teacher and Moroes. I don't know if it's better but it was what i had planned to do before the launch.

A stealthed Finja on the board the turn before casting Crystal Core can lead to a big burst of damage. I also like having more charges to bounce.

gutshot

I'm not even convinced that it's that strong. I think people either aren't recognizing how to counter it or they aren't playing the kinds of decks that counter it.

Quest Rogue spends a lot of time dicking around in the early game bouncing stuff back and forth from the hand. There's at least four turns of prep time where you're doing things like playing weak minions or bouncing stuff where you're sacrificing a ton of tempo and early game board presence in order to fulfill the requirements of the quest. Efficient removal like backstab and eviscerate can only get you so far.

So how do you counter it? Do all the dumb aggro or curvestone stuff that Hearthstone is known for. Play early game stuff and exert pressure on your opponent. If you can establish a board before the Rogue can, then you can clear out any tiny minions they do have before they go into their Turn 5 where they play the quest. If they don't prep the quest out, then they can't establish a board on the same turn they play the quest. That gives you a full turn to conquer the board even further and punish them. The deck doesn't have any taunts or healing so from this point on you can take advantage of your early game push and race them down.

Yeah, I'm not saying the deck doesn't have counters. I'm saying that it is strong enough to demand counters. Those types of decks usually go on to shape the meta even if they aren't always Tier 1.

peakish

Yeah, I'm not saying the deck doesn't have counters. I'm saying that it is strong enough to demand counters. Those types of decks usually go on to shape the meta even if they aren't always Tier 1.
Yeah. For all the talk about Pirate Warrior in the last meta any control deck I built had a large and consistent winrate against them. As did any midrange or aggro deck against Jade Druid. The two decks still dominated the meta (in my ranks) in the sense that you had to run a counter to at least one of them and it was pretty stifling (unless you were playing Shaman I suppose in which case SHAME ON YOU). It remains to be seen if Quest Rogue is that type of deck or not but my experience with it so far has been pretty wtf.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Crap, one problem with Zoo as a counter to Quest Rogue is those dumb turn 2 8/8 Van Cleefs. Starting to see rogues run Counterfeit Coin again, probably mostly just for that.

Peléo;233547844 said:
Even if it's a bit early, I could see Blizzard nerfing this to 5 minions instead of 4. Still, the deck suffers a lot if you can't find your bouncing cards.

Yeah, see, I'm not sure something like this should really be possible. Quest completed and played on turn 4 with 4 things on the board. That's broken.

br3wnor

Having fun with a pretty awful Warrior Quest taunt deck.

Suprised about the 'retired' classic cards, sucks to see Syl and Rag go, two of my favorites. Nice to get the dust though, sitting on about 6k so gonna wait to see how the meta settles before crafting.

Grief.exe

I'm having fun with the rogue quest, I run Finja and double bluegill instead of Violet Teacher and Moroes. I don't know if it's better but it was what i had planned to do before the launch.

A stealthed Finja on the board the turn before casting Crystal Core can lead to a big burst of damage. I also like having more charges to bounce.

Scary

Ketch

I didn't make any predictions, so it's a little disingenuous to go back now, but I'm glad I was not disappointed by rogue quest.

In WotG I played a shadow caster/thistle tea nzoth deck and saw how easy it was to play multiple copies of the same card.... I think a lot of people probably misjudged the quest because of how bad shadowcaster and thistle tea were. But it was bad because it was just way to slow, you needed to survive until a big nzoth play that hit multiple sylvanas and cairne bloodhoofs, which was just unreliable to say the least.

The quest solves that problem, and the neutral elementals that spawn tokens make it even worse.

The non elemental version of the deck can be controlled up if it gets mediocre to bad draws.

If it uses the elementals then it's basically inevitable, like both of the death rattles would have to get silenced, the 1/2's would have to be controlled, AND the rogue would have to misplay significantly.... AND even then there's still other fucking cards that can be bounced instead.

Basically best case scenario for the opponent is to win by turn 6 or lose the game.

I'm waiting for the screen cap of the infinite shadow caster combo.

Htown

man every time I beat a taunt warrior it feels like I just finished a boss fight

Really enjoy elemental shaman, it seems like a more efficient Jade deck.

Kalimos is a dope legendary.

Think I'm going to try taunt warrior next

wiibomb

it is amazing to see the whole first 8 thread of the page of reddit being a massive complain about packs.

I am pleased.

Any idea yet which cards are really worth it to craft in this meta?

absolutely none, the thing with the early metas is that they can change in any moment until they settle down, even if the rogue quest seems absurd at the moment, that could change any moment if someone discovers a reliable way to deal with them.

that is why I suggest not crafting anything yet, instead playing with whatever you have right now (or open more packs?) and not using dust just yet.

Craft Crystal Core, skip everything else for now. Blech. I'm giving it one week, then I'm out. Like seriously, this quest is ridiculous.

I got the Crystal Core in a pack =p

absolutely none, the thing with the early metas is that they can change in any moment until they settle down, even if the rogue quest seems absurd at the moment, that could change any moment if someone discovers a reliable way to deal with them.

that is why I suggest not crafting anything yet, instead playing with whatever you have right now (or open more packs?) and not using dust just yet.

Fina then, I'll wait more. I'll keep playing as paladin.

Headed to a local tournament this weekend. It will be interesting to see how things shake out with that. This will be my first time playing against anyone in person, and I'm curious how much the decks played will reflect the current shifting state of the meta.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Is midrange the new aggro?

Ketch

Really enjoy elemental shaman, it seems like a more efficient Jade deck.

Kalimos is a dope legendary.

Think I'm going to try taunt warrior next

for sure, elemental shaman is super legit and is totally being overlooked right now. If i'm not undefeated with it, I'm very close.

f0lken

I gave Rogue quest a 3.

To the people that says wait till the meta settles: Rogue Quest is ALREADY optimized, it can reliably have a board with 3-4-5 5/5s by turn five or even four. And if they don´t have a board then they can stil do 20 DMG fron hand in turn 5, there are very Little answers for that even by teching against it, because is so fast that you need to tech several cards just to have one in the first turns which in turn will make your deck worse against several other decks

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Updated my Murloc Paladin deck.

Hydrologist is as disappointing as expected, but had to at least give it a chance. Not crazy weak, but other things are better.

And I think maybe Coldlight Seer is too much of a get more ahead card? Though Megasaur is too I guess. I don't know what to use. 1 of each?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/790544-murloc-paladin

Blizzard

Banned
I couldn't seem to get past rank 18 with quest rogue last night. When I have time I want to post my deck list so maybe people can help see what I'm missing, or spectate and at least give me some tips.

I know 2 key things I'm missing are a second Preparation and Patches, though I don't know how major a problem those are.

The only thing that will stop Crystal Rogue from becoming dominant is deciding which variant of it is most reliable. Could be Pirates, Elemental, Water, or some combination of them... I even wonder if you could do a light touch of Jade Rogue and make it work.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I gave Rogue quest a 3.

To the people that says wait till the meta settles: Rogue Quest is ALREADY optimized, it can reliably have a board with 3-4-5 5/5s by turn five or even four. And if they don´t have a board then they can stil do 20 DMG fron hand in turn 5, there are very Little answers for that even by teching against it, because is so fast that you need to tech several cards just to have one in the first turns which in turn will make your deck worse against several other decks

It's mostly the counters that are still being optimized, and further Rogue optimization off those counters.

Also the whole counter to the counter to the counter thing that takes a while to even out the meta.

Pooya

I think I'm going to eat crow on paladin being the worst class. I didn't think how well elementals work with hand buff, they are exactly what you need. Firefly has probably the most impact on the game between rogue quest and here. You play something but keeping your hand size is huge.

4 mana 3/3 deal 2 dmg with handbuffs is very good and it's exactly what paladin needed, cards with instant effects. Stoneshaper is already good, with buff, you probably win the game.

Tar creeper with handbuffs is so damn good...

I'm beating quest rogue with it very well, it's just too much to deal with. It's kolento's list, look it up. Paladin doesn't seem bad at all to me right now. Certainly much better than druid feels. Aggressive druid decks are ok still.

_DrMario_

Quest rogue has quest completed by turn 4 with 7 cards in hand.

"Just gotta put pressure on them".

What ever the fuck that means.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I wonder what the wild version of quest rogue should look.

Just throw in gang up for patches? Is that even worth it?

Dart

This is what I'm running right now. It's dragon with a lot of card thievery stuff. I'm sure it could still use some refinement but I'm both surprised and impressed with how well it's doing for me so far.

Oh cool I've been meaning to try out a pseudo dragon/elemental deck. What rank are you trying it at?

I've been messing around with quest/highlander, It's not amazing but it sure is a lot of fun. Btw Free from Amber has been delivering, love that card.

wiibomb

I think I'm going to eat crow on paladin being the worst class. I didn't think how well elementals work with hand buff, they are exactly what you need. Firefly has probably the most impact on the game between rogue quest and here. You play something but keeping your hand size is huge.

4 mana 3/3 deal 2 dmg with handbuffs is very good and it's exactly what paladin needed, cards with instant effects. Stoneshaper is already good, with buff, you probably win the game.

Tar creeper with handbuffs is so damn good...

I'm beating quest rogue with it very well, it's just too much to deal with. It's kolento's list, look it up. Paladin doesn't seem bad at all to me right now. Certainly much better than druid feels. Aggressive druid decks are ok still.

I'm just seeing that elemental variant on noxious stream... seems pretty good!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Quest rogue has quest completed by turn 4 with 7 cards in hand.

"Just gotta put pressure on them".

What ever the fuck that means.

You have 4 turns to build up a board, and so turn five you just hit them for a billion damage and build an unbeatable board. Or at least that is the theory.

Backstab and prep and patches and the 3/2 and 2/3 bodies those bounce backs leave behind can make that more difficult though while not really holding back their quest completing at all.

And they can clear the board better than Rogue's have been able to since the bladefury nerf, thanks to cheap charge and bounceback on the charge.

Maybe brann. Maybe. You can novice, shadowstep, turn 3 bran novice, shadowstep, novice. Doesn't have to be on curve. Can also be with swashburglar.

Gang up seems too high roll. Worthless if not on patches. The deck also doesn't have a ton of card draw.

Htown

this just in: if you can have a spiritsinger umbra on board when you play your N'Zoth, things get out of hand pretty quick

Pooya

it's more than worth it....

Right now people are playing the deck very poorly. You actually want to have your patches after the quest is done, it's huge. I see people are close to finishing the quest with another card but they play a pirate instead for who knows what reason. Even if you draw patches you want the chargers after the quest. The swing is key to winning unfavored match ups.

I'm also not sure if eviscerate is right in the deck. I think you want sap more than evis in this deck since you might not have room for both.

f0lken

It's mostly the counters that are still being optimized, and further Rogue optimization off those counters.

Also the whole counter to the counter to the counter thing that takes a while to even out the meta.

Of course, my point was that you don´t need to wait weeks for the meta to settle, rogue quest is powerful, very powerful and is safe to craft caverns and to start thinking about how to reliably counter it because this deck is not going anywhere without nerfs

To above: yup sap is better than evis in this deck

Top Bottom