• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavenly Sword cameo in the latest Heroes episode (UPDATE: new footage, post #754)

Z3F

Banned
The eyebrows and lips look incredible in the 1st shot. I'm not feeling the hair though. It seems out of place compared to the rest of the head.

luca_29_bg

Pimpwerx said:
Probably different models. Cutscenes can use higher resolution textures with more geometry b/c there's less overhead in a cutscene. But also b/c those high resolution textures becoming a mess of swimming pixels due to the number of samples. So in-game models generally have less detail than in cutscenes. How it'll always be. PEACE.

but this happens not in all game right ? In a game like hs i can understand,many guys on screens,ok but in a game like,for example,survival horror (few guys on screen) with the power of ps3 we can't have same model for cutscene and in game ?

luca_29_bg said:
but this happens not in all game right ? In a game like hs i can understand,many guys on screens,ok but in a game like,for example,survival horror (few guys on screen) with the power of ps3 we can't have same model for cutscene and in game ?
You're comparison was really really skewed though assuming
this scene:
2660heavenly.gif

Is ingame (speaking of the large HD trailer version not gif) , it shows that the face is easily as detailed as the first face you posted. The second image has horrid dithering and compression artifacts.

luca_29_bg

BamYouHaveAids said:
You're comparison was really really skewed though assuming
this scene:
2660heavenly.gif

Is ingame (speaking of the large HD trailer version not gif) , it shows that the face is easily as detailed as the first face you posted. The second image has horrid dithering and compression artifacts.

yeah now is clear,it looks like is the same model.Thanks guy :D

animato

Oh wow. Seeing that scene with the army coming towards her (sans that funny GIF of her... playing with the gun) it brings me back to when we first saw the game in E32005.

This game is going to be a big one, that for sure!

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
BIG BUBBA said:
Are there any platforming or puzzle elements to the game, or is it strictly running around and killing people? I'm not being facetious, I really want to know.

Could someone answer me?

Woo-Fu

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
So we have dudes going ga-ga over some chick stomping on some dude's nards, and now we have people going ga-ga over the same chick pumping up a bazooka. I don't know what conclusion could be drawn from all of this, but I'm fairly certain that it's nothing good.

Come on, she isn't pumping up a bazooka, she is COCKING it.

JB1981

Captain Glanton said:
One thing I've been struck by, early in this new generation, is the growth in the quality gap between games. I think that the difference between, say, Heavenly Sword and Mass Effect on one end, and the standard-fare action and RPG games being finished up right now is much larger than it was between games of each respective stature in the last generation. I don't see why that gap won't just grow and grow over the next few years. That is, I suspect it'll be even harder to sell your medicore new-gen action game when it's sitting on the shelf next to Heavenly Sword than it was last gen sitting next to God of War.

On the one hand, this is great news for us gamers. On the other hand, it isn't such great news for publishers trying to sell their medicore games made with rapidly increasing budgets of their own.

That's what the Wii is for.

AVclub

I have been playing with animated gif tonight. Made this one for anyone who wants it for their avatar. I'm pretty sure it's within the proper dimensions. Just please rehost if you want it.

heavenly.gif

JB1981 said:
That's what the Wii is for.

I had planned on getting a Wii instead of a PS3 [already have a 360] and I even tried to get a Wii on launch day. Now that I'm seeing the new threads on Lair, R&C, and Heavenly Sword, I'm really glad I have that Wii money to put towards a PS3 this weekend. I honestly never expected to see in-game footage like this in the first year of the console.

Mmmkay

Another Heavenly Watch: GDC Special bulletin. IGN has an awfully cock teasing article on the SPU optimization demonstration that was presented at GDC. It sounds like (as mentioned by the devs earlier) they played through the internal showcase demo Ninja Theory created last year. It's also the same source for the footage on the This is Living Cinematic Production trailer and the Heroes promo.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/771/771721p1.html
One common theme scattered across a number of the conferences at this year's Game Developer Conference is related to programming for the PlayStation 3. Be it the RSX, Cell or what have you, there are panels discussing nearly every facet of PS3-specific development. While most of what you'll find at these sessions are strictly for the advanced developer, delving into things like managing data stacks and how to properly use pointers, there is the occasional bit of info that proves interesting to those that still don't understand anything John Carmack ever says.

During a panel on optimizing SPU code, a couple members from Sony's World Wide Studios development group gave a couple quick demos to help visualize what the Cell's bits were handling. One of these demos included a never-before-seen look at Heavenly Sword, giving us an updated glimpse at the battlefield scenario that we first saw in the original E3 2005 trailer.

The demo opened up with Nariko standing outside the gates of a town, delivering a monologue. Desperation and despair coated her voice as she made mention that her mom had died during childbirth and that she should have died along with her. Regardless, she claims that she will not see her people tortured and killed and that she'll defend her city at all costs.

Across the battlefield, a swarm of soldiers approaches, a giant catapult-like weapon in tow. While still off in the distance, Nariko cocks her rocket launcher and fires off a handful of shots, each time taking out a small group of soldiers. With each shot, the camera quickly zoomed in to follow just above and behind the rocket, allowing the player to influence its direction, much like we saw that you can do with thrown barrels and other objects at this past year's E3.

Once the soldiers got too close, Nariko pulled out her swords and began slicing men to bits. Her swords seemed best-suited for taking out an individual soldier and not a group, so she quickly switched to her chained blades and began slashing through the crowd. Numerous times during the demo she grabbed a soldier and performed a cinematic and brutal kill, much like the groin-stomping finisher that you can see in the most recent footage.

A clock ticked down in the corner, which we believe counted the seconds to the city's destruction. As it crept closer and closer to zero, Nariko finally made her way to the massive weapon and scaled the object, slashing away and dismantling its various bits and pieces on the way up. As she progressed, button symbols appeared on the screen, making this section look exactly like what you'd find in many of God of War's boss battles. When she finally reached the top and landed the last blow, Nariko flipped off the machinery and landed in a crouched position on the earth just before the video faded out.

After the demo ended, the presenters nonchalantly proceeded to talk about how the SPUs divided the code that not only ran each soldier's AI, but Nariko's hair as well. Unfortunately, the rest of the presentation wasn't nearly as exciting as the trailer, so we'll leave it at that for now.

Yoboman

Greg said:
Is it just me or is the waterfall flowing...upwards?
hsbk8.png
It's a static image, how can you tell that in the first place. You think they would overlook something like the water fall going backwards?:lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yoboman said:
It's a static image, how can you tell that in the first place. You think they would overlook something like the water fall going backwards?:lol

He's right. Watch the video.
I think it's just a sequence being run backwards.

Pusha

Banned
This game looks sooooo amazing. Man, I keep changing my selection for best looking next-gen game so far. Now this returns to the top spot.

Mmmkay

TTP said:
I holyshitted. Looks almost CGI. What's that?

http://www.ninjatheory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840
Had a chat with Tameem, and we've managed to get approval from Sony to release a screenshot to say a big 'Thank You' for your participation on the forums. So, without further a-do, here's an in-game screen grab of Nariko from one of our cutscenes (resized a little and with some blurring around the edges so it's perfect as a desktop wallpaper).

I’m assuming most of you have seen the “Cinematic Production” teaser. The facial model and texturing you see is based on the actress and the expression is comprised of a series of blend-shapes driven by the mocap data. Each expression is tweaked by us so that we remain true to the original performance.

Lighting and depth of field is then applied to the scene and the results, I hope you’ll agree, look pretty nice. This particular example doesn’t have the floor in place and we’ve made it into a 1280x1024 size image so that it can be used as a desktop wallpaper.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yoboman said:
Wow that looks amazing. Must be CG or something

Of course it's CG. It's just not pre-rendered CG, according to the dev. Obviously not the playable model, but even for a cut, that's ****ing amazing.

Nostromo

It's taken from a realtime cutscene and slightly touched up, it should represents how she will look when we ship the game (artists are tweaking everything..)

Top Bottom